PDA

View Full Version : Palace Brighton rivalry started here

Chocky
06-06-2016, 04:47 PM
I posted this on the Post a Picture thread in GCC but also posting here to see if anyone has memories of this day in August 1974 when it really did all begin.

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7045/6867733284_af96e970f2.jpg

Brighton in all white at home in 1974? Yes according to this http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Brighton_and_Hove_Albion/Brighton_and_Hove_Albion.htm

They must've gone mad on NSC about that. :)

That was the first game of the season and I think when our rivalry officially started, being an August weekend Palace took thousands the night before and more the day of the match and took the town and ground over. The Dolphins didn't like that. Still lost 1-0 though.

Name our players in the photo.

Chocky
06-06-2016, 04:57 PM
http://www.cpfc.org/g2/d/31458-2/Crystal_Palace_1974.jpg

Why is Jim Cannon not in this photo?

ExiledStirling
06-06-2016, 05:05 PM
I have a feeling I was at this game. Is it the same game that a few Palace fans just before kick off ran across the pitch, I think to take on the Brighton fans ?

I remember watching the game with the fairly constant sound of barking police dogs that were in amongst us.

SJ'sLoveMonkey
06-06-2016, 05:12 PM
Swindle looks about 9 in that photo!

Chocky
06-06-2016, 05:14 PM
PS spot the c*nt in the photo.

Chocky
06-06-2016, 05:16 PM
I have a feeling I was at this game. Is it the same game that a few Palace fans just before kick off ran across the pitch, I think to take on the Brighton fans ?

I remember watching the game with the fairly constant sound of barking police dogs that were in amongst us.

There were fights all over the town and outside and inside the ground why not on the pitch?

Chocky
06-06-2016, 05:19 PM
Who was the black player in the photo and squad photo? Anyone who says Vince is barred.

Ash
06-06-2016, 05:27 PM
PS spot the c*nt in the photo.

Fat thief, front left?

Mabs
06-06-2016, 05:31 PM
Who was the black player in the photo and squad photo? Anyone who says Vince is barred.

Is it Mick Hill
Bit before my time but my dad used to talk about him. I remember getting his autograph in the very early 80's as he used to still go and watch. He is the only black player around that time that my dad remembered
Then again, if it isn't then this post makes me look like a tw*t
Slating expected !

Dobbo
06-06-2016, 05:32 PM

Malcolm Allison, Derek Jeffries, Roy Barry, Paul Hammond, Mel Blyth, Stewart Jump, ?,
Paddy Mulligan, Alan Whittle, Mark Lindsay, Derek Possee, David Swindlehurst, Peter Taylor, Don Rogers.

Harry Bassett
06-06-2016, 05:41 PM
? Frank Lord

wighteagle
06-06-2016, 05:43 PM
Fat thief, front left?

I think that is Paddy Mulligan.

Harry Bassett
06-06-2016, 05:44 PM
Not Possee..Mick Hill ..why did Roy Barry not rate a mention on the ugly players thread?

wighteagle
06-06-2016, 05:44 PM
? Frank Lord

Or possibly Jeff Johnson?

NYEagle
06-06-2016, 05:50 PM
Is it Mick Hill
Bit before my time but my dad used to talk about him. I remember getting his autograph in the very early 80's as he used to still go and watch. He is the only black player around that time that my dad remembered
Then again, if it isn't then this post makes me look like a tw*t
Slating expected !

I know I am getting old, but wasn't Mick Hill white? I think it is Mark Lindsay in the squad photo.

Harry Bassett
06-06-2016, 05:51 PM
I have no doubt whatsoever Frank Lord was a coach under Allison,I only used a question mark because " Dobbo " used one in the photo.

The photo names are correct except for Frank Lord and Mick Hill.

nicknackpalace
06-06-2016, 06:00 PM
Was Tony Sealy a bit later? edit- oh yes 5 years later

Mabs
06-06-2016, 06:00 PM
I know I am getting old, but wasn't Mick Hill white? I think it is Mark Lindsay in the squad photo.

I will take your word for it NYEagle, unfortunately I can't berate the old fella as he passed away in 2006. Knowing my father, he probably meant Mark Lindsay or I got it mixed up with Mick Hill. Either way I have twa**ed myself :wallbash:

NYEagle
06-06-2016, 06:06 PM
I will take your word for it NYEagle, unfortunately I can't berate the old fella as he passed away in 2006. Knowing my father, he probably meant Mark Lindsay or I got it mixed up with Mick Hill. Either way I have twa**ed myself :wallbash:

Don't knock yourself - I could be wrong.

When I get back to my hotel, I will look up Mick Hill - I think we got him from Ipswich.

Mabs
06-06-2016, 06:22 PM
Don't knock yourself - I could be wrong.

When I get back to my hotel, I will look up Mick Hill - I think we got him from Ipswich.

I did have a look on google, Mick Hill sadly passed away in 2008, Mick Mills spoke highly of him

CP Satellite
06-06-2016, 06:46 PM
Amswering a few points from that 1973/74 Palace team photo:

1. Frank Lord was Palace's coach that season.
2. Mark Lindsay is the black player in the picture.
3. Jimmy Cannon was still a junior back then,
making his debut in March 1973, not long before that photo.

Chocky
06-06-2016, 06:59 PM
I knew Venables joined at that time but quite rightly it was Paddy Mulligan. I had thought he had left by then he bloody looks like Venables there. Not so thanks for that. Lindsay correct but was he the first black player we ever had? I can't remember that's before my time. If he was who threw bananas at him and called him John John as was apt for back then?

As for Jimbo was he really still a junior then? He made his debut a year or so before so earlier against Chelsea, scored, kicked the shit out of them and got booked.

Chocky
06-06-2016, 07:05 PM
Who is the No 6 in that photo? It looks like Cannon to me but he started at No 3 full back in those days. Great kit.

Chocky
06-06-2016, 07:10 PM
PS Mick Hill was bollocks not black.

delboy01
06-06-2016, 07:33 PM
I posted this on the Post a Picture thread in GCC but also posting here to see if anyone has memories of this day in August 1974 when it really did all begin.

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7045/6867733284_af96e970f2.jpg

Brighton in all white at home in 1974? Yes according to this http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Brighton_and_Hove_Albion/Brighton_and_Hove_Albion.htm

They must've gone mad on NSC about that. :)

That was the first game of the season and I think when our rivalry officially started, being an August weekend Palace took thousands the night before and more the day of the match and took the town and ground over. The Dolphins didn't like that. Still lost 1-0 though.

Name our players in the photo.

Yes, this was when the rivalry started. And it was not just brighton fans that it started with either. It was all the guys that got in rucks in the pubs the night before!!! 100's of palace went down on the Friday and took over the local pubs. Several fights started and a brighton 'mate' of mine (yes, seriously) told me that the locals hated us after that with loads coming to SP later that season even though they were not fans. It seems we pissed off every face in brighton that night.

Loads of palace slept on deckchairs on the beach!!!

There were offs from around 7pm Friday until 10pm Saturday night.

big bad John
06-06-2016, 07:34 PM
Amswering a few points from that 1973/74 Palace team photo:

1. Frank Lord was Palace's coach that season.
2. Mark Lindsay is the black player in the picture.
3. Jimmy Cannon was still a junior back then,
making his debut in March 1973, not long before that photo.

Pretty sure it was just a team photo from 74-75.Just the first eleven and the sub. Almost the team they put out against Brighton, except Jeff Johnson played. Cannon was no longer a junior. By that time he'd already played at least 20 games but hadn't played at all in 74. He next played about six games into the 74-75 season. I'm assuming he must have been injured

12bus
06-06-2016, 07:35 PM
Looks like the Cannon style but the haircut is more Mel Blyth

Ruskin Old Boy
06-06-2016, 08:01 PM
Went to the match but don't remember much about it. Must have been well oiled.

Funnily enough I can remember Mick Hill signing though, it was on deadline day and Palace hired a helicopter to get this top name player signed in time. Imagine our disappointment when we found out it was Mick Hill. Past his best when we signed him. Mark Lindsay didn't shine for Palace either.

CP Satellite
06-06-2016, 09:10 PM
Pretty sure it was just a team photo from 74-75.Just the first eleven and the sub. Almost the team they put out against Brighton, except Jeff Johnson played. Cannon was no longer a junior. By that time he'd already played at least 20 games but hadn't played at all in 74. He next played about six games into the 74-75 season. I'm assuming he must have been injured

Not saying you are wrong John, but a couple of things about that picture suggest to me it was taken shortly after Peter Taylor arrived at Palace as a player in late 1973.

The kit is very basic, apart from the badges on the sleeves.

That was the original style of the red and blue striped kit in 1973.

By 1974/75, Palace had numbers on the sleeves and the badge in the middle of the chest on the shirt.

The 1974/75 team photo was in the all white away kit (the sash, of course, dating from 14th February 1976).

Mel Blyth joined Southampton in August 1974 - that picture looks mid season.

Super Mabbutt
06-06-2016, 09:36 PM
The 1-11 for the game were -

Hammond, Mulligan, Jump, Jeffries, Blyth, J Johnson, Whittle, Lindsay, Hill, Rogers, Taylor.

Sub, Swindlehurst

nicknackpalace
06-06-2016, 09:46 PM
Remember a few outings to brighton around that time.
Got an idea i was at this one remember going down the A23 got a bit stuck at Hickstead because of show jumping!
All pre-mullery of course

big bad John
06-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Yes, this was when the rivalry started. And it was not just brighton fans that it started with either. It was all the guys that got in rucks in the pubs the night before!!! 100's of palace went down on the Friday and took over the local pubs. Several fights started and a brighton 'mate' of mine (yes, seriously) told me that the locals hated us after that with loads coming to SP later that season even though they were not fans. It seems we pissed off every face in brighton that night.

Loads of palace slept on deckchairs on the beach!!!

There were offs from around 7pm Friday until 10pm Saturday night.

Two well known Palace fans received six months in the clink after a major skirmish in one of the pubs just before kick off. An off duty detective got glassed and like others have said it was a very eventful day.

keltic eagle
06-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Not saying you are wrong John, but a couple of things about that picture suggest to me it was taken shortly after Peter Taylor arrived at Palace as a player in late 1973.

By 1974/75, Palace had numbers on the sleeves and the badge in the middle of the chest on the shirt.

The 1974/75 team photo was in the all white away kit (the sash, of course, dating from 14th February 1976).

Mel blyth taught me to drive in '83

nicknackpalace
06-06-2016, 10:00 PM

I think the original red and blue players kit had the numbers on the sleeves (1973)
http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/79662935-sport-football-london-england-8th-august-1973-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=Z0zsWpN2ukUDXYqF4boPJUSSmKMlGfGydlMCT5QKbeogOHmB QZym%2blqsoYOVWIfukngp9lt9YMlbzq%2f0t2P0aA%3d%3d
pic with the likes of iain philip David Payne John Jackson
74 was when the badges went on the sleeves

big bad John
06-06-2016, 10:13 PM

Think you might be right as regards mid-season but it's a tough one. Hill, Jump and Jeff Johnson signed in Dec 73. Johnson played every game for the remaining of the season but isn't in the picture. Blyth played five games at the beginning of the following season before heading to the Dell.

JJ
06-06-2016, 10:56 PM

My first ever Palace kit. :love:

ammiller
07-06-2016, 08:28 AM
Don Rogers left in the first few weeks of 74-75.
He was out of favour at the start of the season - although it's great to see that he played in this game.
I think his last game was in John McCormack's testimonial against QPR - with the Adder (John Matthews) reporting how well he played and being bewildered that he was out of favour with Allison. That was before Allison stole from us in 1980 of course.
With Kenny making his debut at the end of that season, it means that my first 3 heroes played in 74-75!

Marshian
07-06-2016, 11:16 AM
I was at the game with my dad as a 13 year old, a bit small for punch ups. I remember the terrace being rammed and struggling to see the game. Seem to remember a lot of Palace in the North Stand, I think there was almost 30,000.
I used to live in Maidstone next to the London Road ground, the week before Palace bought the full first team for a pre season and lost 1-0. Took some stick at school the next day.

baldeagle68
07-06-2016, 11:47 AM
It sure was the start of our rivalry with our Gully friends.
Don't think they've ever got over us taking their end, ground and seaside town over for that weekend.:p

Hal Low
07-06-2016, 09:23 PM
A scorching hot day, a long walk from the train station, the ground totally rammed and a crap game.

And Chocky is right - that was when the rivalry started. Until then I wasn't even aware that Brighton had a team. I'd been supporting Palace for 12 years by then and in that period Palace hadn't ever played them. Palace coming to town was the highlight of their existence - as it still is.

dowieslovechild
07-06-2016, 09:38 PM
Did the rivalry not officially start after Mullery threw a few pound notes into a puddle on the touchline, whilst ranting "your team's not even worth this", or something along those lines?

big bad John
07-06-2016, 10:05 PM
. I'd been supporting Palace for 12 years by then and in that period Palace hadn't ever played them. Palace coming to town was the highlight of their existence - as it still is.

We played them in a pre-season friendly at the beginning of 73-74. Crowd was only about 7,000 but four thousand of those had to be Palace, most of whom watched the game from the North Stand. Think we lost 2-1. But yes it was the following year when the rivalry started.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
07-06-2016, 11:11 PM
Did the rivalry not officially start after Mullery threw a few pound notes into a puddle on the touchline, whilst ranting "your team's not even worth this", or something along those lines?

It started when they got a new ground and promoted to the Championship a few years back, and ended about six weeks later

CP Satellite
08-06-2016, 06:12 AM

That was certainly the moment that cemented the rivalry, but that match was actually the fourth time Palace had played the Seaweeds that season and it was only early November! The game was a 1st Round FA Cup 2nd Replay after a 2-2 draw at Brighton and a 1-1 draw at Selhurst.

That was the last season Palace have had to play in the 1st or 2nd Round of the FA Cup too, nearly 38 years ago!

We had already played a hard fought draw in the League at Brighton and we gave them a severe spanking at home 3-1 later that season, the beating didn't just happen on the pitch that day for Brighton either.

The 'friendly' match at the start of this thread is what caused the rivalry to start though.

That too was Palace's first visit to Brighton since 1962 when Palace won in the League it was our last points gained at the Gallstone Ground too, although we beat them several times on other Cup, Testimonial and pre-season matches since then.

Chocky
08-06-2016, 05:04 PM

That was Sky Sports wrong version a few years ago. That was the moment we truly hated Mullery as well.

Chocky
08-06-2016, 05:06 PM
That was certainly the moment that cemented the rivalry, but that match was actually the fourth time Palace had played the Seaweeds that season and it was only early November! The game was a 1st Round FA Cup 2nd Replay after a 2-2 draw at Brighton and a 1-1 draw at Selhurst.

That was the last season Palace have had to play in the 1st or 2nd Round of the FA Cup too, nearly 38 years ago!

We had already played a hard fought draw in the League at Brighton and we gave them a severe spanking at home 3-1 later that season, the beating didn't just happen on the pitch that day for Brighton either.

The 'friendly' match at the start of this thread is what caused the rivalry to start though.

That too was Palace's first visit to Brighton since 1962 when Palace won in the League it was our last points gained at the Gallstone Ground too, although we beat them several times on other Cup, Testimonial and pre-season matches since then.

It wasn't a friendly it was the first league game of the season.

CP Satellite
09-06-2016, 12:11 PM
It wasn't a friendly it was the first league game of the season.

Yes, the picture at the start of the thread is from the League match at the start of 74/75, I got it mixed up with the friendly match at Brighton in August 1973 - when according to many sources who went (my first away game at Brighton was in 1976) there was plenty going on before, during and after the match to call it the start of hostilities between the two clubs.

I've also got the feeling that Palace played in an all white kit in that 1973 match?

nicknackpalace
09-06-2016, 12:43 PM
Yes, the picture at the start of the thread is from the League match at the start of 74/75, I got it mixed up with the friendly match at Brighton in August 1973 - when according to many sources who went (my first away game at Brighton was in 1976) there was plenty going on before, during and after the match to call it the start of hostilities between the two clubs.

I've also got the feeling that Palace played in an all white kit in that 1973 match?

Ah yes - i had in mind it was a friendly.
I would say that was the start of the rivalry - definitely pre-mullery

nicknackpalace
09-06-2016, 12:45 PM
We played them in a pre-season friendly at the beginning of 73-74. Crowd was only about 7,000 but four thousand of those had to be Palace, most of whom watched the game from the North Stand. Think we lost 2-1. But yes it was the following year when the rivalry started.

Thats how i remember it. brighton section dominated by palace. Later matches it was harder for palace to get in the brighton end

Jim Cannon
09-06-2016, 02:11 PM
That was Sky Sports wrong version a few years ago. That was the moment we truly hated Mullery as well.

To be fair, they don't have any records before 1992, so you can see how they got it wrong

CPFC Since 68
09-06-2016, 02:39 PM
Thats how i remember it. brighton section dominated by palace. Later matches it was harder for palace to get in the brighton end

Was still at school when we played them in the friendly but remember being in the North stand and was their for subsequent games. First time i remember being sent down the other end by police was a night game , anyone know the year ? . Remember lots of smoke bombs being thrown on the pitch that evening , but not sure if it was a cup or league game.

bourne man
09-06-2016, 06:37 PM
Back to the Photo, its definitely Mark Lindsey
A good addo boy from a good addo family
Got to know him well in the late seventies as his wife was my girlfriend at the times best friend
Went to play in the states

Chocky
10-06-2016, 04:04 PM
Was still at school when we played them in the friendly but remember being in the North stand and was their for subsequent games. First time i remember being sent down the other end by police was a night game , anyone know the year ? . Remember lots of smoke bombs being thrown on the pitch that evening , but not sure if it was a cup or league game.

We only played them away in a night game in the Simod or Zenith or whatever it was called then cup in the early 90s. Although the First Round FA Cup game in 1976 was in November ish when although a 3pm kick of most of the game was played under floodlights and was dark at half time. There was loads of trouble during that game and I think a fence collapsed between the fans allowing a mass brawl at one point.

old git
10-06-2016, 04:29 PM
We only played them away in a night game in the Simod or Zenith or whatever it was called then cup in the early 90s. Although the First Round FA Cup game in 1976 was in November ish when although a 3pm kick of most of the game was played under floodlights and was dark at half time. There was loads of trouble during that game and I think a fence collapsed between the fans allowing a mass brawl at one point.

We played the m on the 24/02/1976 which was a Tuesday .This was the match where drain bombs (used by plumbers) were thrown on the pitch and the referee threatened to abandon the game if it continued.As we were losing 2-0 it was the wrong thing to say.

Chocky
10-06-2016, 04:32 PM
We played the m on the 24/02/1976 which was a Tuesday .This was the match where drain bombs (used by plumbers) were thrown on the pitch and the referee threatened to abandon the game if it continued.As we were losing 2-0 it was the wrong thing to say.

Sorry I stand corrected I didn't know about that one.

Ash
10-06-2016, 04:54 PM
We only played them away in a night game in the Simod or Zenith or whatever it was called then cup in the early 90s.

Full members cup, South round 3.
18 February 1991.
2-0 to us AET.

orp pisshead1
10-06-2016, 08:00 PM
Didn't it start in the 20's or 30's?, iircc NTE did a article for either Eagle eye or most likely Palace echo on the rivalry and found an article on crowd trouble at a reserve match! with that lot back then:D.

ElwissAtMemphis
10-06-2016, 10:41 PM
I'm not sure whether the rivalry ever began at one particular match. Events during the 70's definitely ramped things up but until Crawley turned up, Palace were and always had been the closest club to Brighton. There wasn't much in it between Selhurst and Fratton Park but we were definitely closest so the rivalry, from their end anyway, made perfect sense. I'm not sure whether that's still the case with their new ground.

I find it irksome that so many people incredulously ask what it's all about. Look at a fecking map dickhead. Apart from anything else, what sounds like more fun on a sunny Bank holiday afternoon? A train to the south coast or a couple of buses to Charlton. And as for a day trip to Bermondsey ...

CPFC Since 68
11-06-2016, 09:42 AM
Cheers, Yes it would have been around that time, memories are very vague .

DocSavage
11-06-2016, 11:11 AM
is this really a "rivalry"?

rivalry = competition for the same objective or for superiority in the same field

Ninjas Headband
11-06-2016, 11:47 AM
is this really a "rivalry"?

rivalry = competition for the same objective or for superiority in the same field

It's a very one sided rivalry.

Chocky
11-06-2016, 04:21 PM
Full members cup, South round 3.
18 February 1991.
2-0 to us AET.

A freezing night and when we scored at our end (first time I had ever been in that South Stand) Palace piled on to the pitch. It was hilarious the joy of scoring against them and watching Palace fans going arse over tit on an icy pitch. Then it happened again. :D

Jack Regan
30-06-2016, 08:52 PM
A freezing night and when we scored at our end (first time I had ever been in that South Stand) Palace piled on to the pitch. It was hilarious the joy of scoring against them and watching Palace fans going arse over tit on an icy pitch. Then it happened again. :D

Chocky: You are the Rev. Nigel Sands for all things Palace v Brighton & Homo Albion.

I can pay you no higher compliment sir, keep up the good work.

art malice
01-07-2016, 07:23 AM
Chocky: You are the Rev. Nigel Sands for all things Palace v Brighton & Homo Albion.

I can pay you no higher compliment sir, keep up the good work.

The fvcking Irreverend Nigel Sands surely?

Jack Regan
01-07-2016, 07:31 AM
The fvcking Irreverend Nigel Sands surely?

Indeed. Since the legendary Psychokiller departed these boards, Chocky is all we have left now.

WestBerksPalace
01-07-2016, 03:47 PM
I was at the August 74' game. I would have been 11 at the time. I asked my Dad if we could go, and for some reason my mum tagged along, even though she doesn't like football! Dad drove and we arrived early, just before the turnstiles opened. Loads of Palace fans sitting outside on the wall, silk scarves on wrists, long hair etc. My Dad was always clueless on which part of the ground to go into. So we ended up in the enclosure in front of their main stand.

I rememeber three things.
A/ Yes it was a poor game.
B/ My mum was asked to move from her position at the front by a late arrriver for his little lad. She took exception to this, having been standing there since 13:30, and refused to move, lol!
C/ Some fighting in the home end, some Palace infiltrators, and Palace fans running across the pitch from the other end to join in! Not sure if this was pre-match, HT or during the game? I have no memory of the game being halted at all?

Scary to think this was 42 years ago, jeez!!
It was definitely the start of the rivalry though!!

The black lad, Mark Lindsay was dubbed Beckenbauer by the Palace fans because he played a sort of floating roll infront of the defence. Suffice to say, he never lived up to that tag!

Battle EAGLE
01-07-2016, 04:50 PM
Remember this game as a 14 year old, ended up in the Brighton end. Was kicking off everywhere. Bit scary but will never forget this game.

salad fan club
01-07-2016, 09:47 PM

There were loads of Palace there that day, I was surprised they gave us the side terrace

Bipe
02-07-2016, 06:25 AM
I believe it was the day the first Iraq war started. Very cold, my abiding memory is of getting a lift down to Brighton in my work colleague's dad's Beemer and spending the journey home in an ice box because his younger brother had pissed about with the electric window and managed to get it stuck in the down position.

SA Eagle
02-07-2016, 02:56 PM
I believe it was the day the first Iraq war started. Very cold, my abiding memory is of getting a lift down to Brighton in my work colleague's dad's Beemer and spending the journey home in an ice box because his younger brother had pissed about with the electric window and managed to get it stuck in the down position.

Seem to remember travel problems after an IRA bomb that day

old git
02-07-2016, 03:26 PM
Seem to remember travel problems after an IRA bomb that day

I think it was the day of the Victoria litter bin bomb.The train that we got from east Croydon was already packed but around 150 that had been in the porter and sorter managed to get on ,much to the commuters annoyance.