PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else not care about England?

doogleboy
16-06-2016, 03:26 PM
I just can't seem to get any kind of excitement watching England. Palace will always be more important for me. Found myself supporting Wales with their Palace contingent. I normally hate the England players when playing Palace so find it hard to be cheering for Rooney et al.

Add the moronic hooligan element and it makes me feel very negative about England.

Anyone else feel the same?

NYEagle
16-06-2016, 03:36 PM
No, doesn't matter that I support Palace, how could I support Wales over England.

In Frankfurt and the whole pub erupted when Sturridge scored.

dan27
16-06-2016, 03:41 PM
No. Think it became fashionable not to care at one point but never fancied any of that. Makes it easier when we fail but that's not what football supporting is about.

Jim Cannon
16-06-2016, 03:52 PM
No. Think it became fashionable not to care at one point but never fancied any of that. Makes it easier when we fail but that's not what football supporting is about.

The way I see it is my support for Palace is unwavering even when we are shit. With England, you are allowed to be a bit fair weather as at the end of the day it's full of players some of whom you don't like anyway. I still care about the results and will watch the games wanting to win, but if we lose it can never be as bad as Palace losing.

Scifo
16-06-2016, 03:52 PM
I care about England and by all rights I should hate you bastards. Quit being such a curmudgeon.

Malarkey
16-06-2016, 03:53 PM
No. Just you.

ExCroydon_CPFC
16-06-2016, 03:54 PM
I just can't seem to get any kind of excitement watching England. Palace will always be more important for me. Found myself supporting Wales with their Palace contingent. I normally hate the England players when playing Palace so find it hard to be cheering for Rooney et al.

Add the moronic hooligan element and it makes me feel very negative about England.

Anyone else feel the same?

No. It's probably cos you're a ****.

Les Butler
16-06-2016, 03:56 PM
I think we have done this type of thread so many times you know its going to be populated by the usual England haters.....We get it it must have been very disappointing that England won :D:D:D:lux::lux::lux:

Joooe
16-06-2016, 03:57 PM
Ha, every time England play we get posts like this and every time the person posting acts as if they're the first person to say it.

RobertCPFC
16-06-2016, 04:01 PM
I care, I might not necessarily like the players but want to see England win in any sport.

Chris B
16-06-2016, 04:03 PM
In answer to the thread question, there are 7 billion foreigners who care little about England. I would expect most of the 50+ Million English people care about our country and want us to do well in most sporting events.

danpalace07
16-06-2016, 04:04 PM
no, I support my country

Heath eagle
16-06-2016, 04:34 PM
no, I support my country

Is the correct answer

Les Butler
16-06-2016, 04:55 PM
This thread will get some when or if England go out......Winning is not in the script which fecks things up for a thread like this especially because its the actual tournament and not just winning every qualifier. .

Kevlon
16-06-2016, 05:02 PM
Palace always come first, but I will always support my country.

CT_Palace
16-06-2016, 05:34 PM
The way I see it is my support for Palace is unwavering even when we are shit. With England, you are allowed to be a bit fair weather as at the end of the day it's full of players some of whom you don't like anyway. I still care about the results and will watch the games wanting to win, but if we lose it can never be as bad as Palace losing.

100% agree.
Especially after years and years and years of pathetic England performances from those big club players.

Today was odd though. Wales aren't the Jocks. I mean I'm not sure why they have their own FA, their best clubs teams play in the English league anyway. And they're not continually bleating on about leaving the Union.
I would have loved to see Jonny score, dare I say it, even if it was at the expense of an England win.

cappuccinoeagle
16-06-2016, 07:10 PM
Tools play for England but I'm not really bothered,I support England. I wish Wales well too cos my nan was Welsh. Tools that play for other countries,however,make a difference. Belgium have Hazard and Felliani in their squad so it would be funny if they got knocked out early

SeanPalace84
16-06-2016, 07:40 PM

Spot on!

Palace and England are two completely different things. Palace are basically my bloody life but I am English and feel passion for the team no matter what.

CedarEagle
16-06-2016, 08:03 PM
I'm half Italian. Grew up in 1970's following Italy with my dad. England not at several finals.

Seed was sown. Italy for me. Apathetic to England. Glad they beat Welsh though.

New LP
16-06-2016, 08:05 PM
I care lots.

Les Butler
16-06-2016, 08:34 PM
100% agree.
Especially after years and years and years of pathetic England performances from those big club players.

Feck Me my Dad brothers their kids have had years and years of shit Palace performances would never think about saying feck it would you its our team whatever..

Same for England for me I think its a bit more modern football supporters that can do this today a bit plastic.

If you don't want to know don't but don't keep on telling how much you don't want to know or care.

Latvian Eagle
16-06-2016, 08:48 PM
Actually find myself being more excited for the Italy and Croatia games tomorrow than I do for England. :eek:

Nostrils
16-06-2016, 09:21 PM
Alex Salmond. Pretty sure he doesn't care.

Mr Palace
16-06-2016, 10:28 PM
I assume this thread is a wind up?

Les Butler
16-06-2016, 10:38 PM
I assume this thread is a wind up?

Nahh ....Take a look in world of football there is usually a few threads like this.

We won today so people stay away its when we lose that its gets "a bit" more attention.

Heb 7:4
16-06-2016, 11:11 PM
I was pleased for England, though I'd also have been pleased for Wales. It'd be nice if they both went through.

orp pisshead1
16-06-2016, 11:31 PM
no, I support my country

Exactly , don't really care if i don't actually like the player wearing the 3 lions shirt or not as they'll get full support while wearing it:p.

orp pisshead1
16-06-2016, 11:32 PM
I was pleased for England, though I'd also have been pleased for Wales. It'd be nice if they both went through.

Pleased? That it ?:eek::( over the moon we won. Unless your not English of course then no worries:p.

orp pisshead1
16-06-2016, 11:33 PM
Actually find myself being more excited for the Italy and Croatia games tomorrow than I do for England. :eek:

Why? How ******* sad.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
17-06-2016, 12:24 AM
I find it strangely possible to support Palace and England, even though I like Palace more.

Golf Boy
17-06-2016, 06:05 AM
Pleased? That it ?:eek::( over the moon we won. Unless your not English of course then no worries:p.

I think Heb is Irish. Although not proper Irish i assume - being pleased for England gives that away.

Latvian Eagle
17-06-2016, 07:20 AM
Why? How ******* sad.

I often wonder that myself. Back in the 90s I used to love England. I used to watch them religiously. Now it jist seems like more of a chore than anything.

CPFC_DAVE77
17-06-2016, 08:26 AM
I had a long period of feeling nothing when England played, and watched every game just as a football fan.

It's not the winning or losing that has changed my view, it's just I feel the side, for all their faults, give everything now.

Plus, life is too short to be one of the ones sat in the corner referring to England as 'you'.

You don't have to go over the top, but just support your country!

greybot
17-06-2016, 08:37 AM
Pub was packed yesterday. When Sturridge scored I ended up kissing some random guys bald head. It was a bit sweaty. That's what England means to me.

DocSavage
17-06-2016, 09:28 AM
no, I support my country

Yes of course but the nation state is a bizarre concept isn't it?

JamTheEagle
17-06-2016, 09:31 AM
Just you.

I would find it more bizarre that someone who likes football and is English could not enjoy that last minute winner.

Murk E
17-06-2016, 09:47 AM
Palace always come first, but I will always support my country.

Me also.

The lows and highs I get with Palace are 100 times more affecting than anything england has ever provided though.

bunter
17-06-2016, 10:35 AM
I support my country England. however there were times in the last few tournaments that I found it really hard to support england mainly because the team was full of overpaid tossers. It seems better now with the younger blood in it.

Also, part of me does wonder how much better the team might be if it was a Great Britian team. Or a Uk Team.

Prince Phillip
17-06-2016, 10:44 AM
Come on, the deeper England go into a tournament, the more its two fingers up to those sneering other nations.

"....but I know they can play"

orp pisshead1
17-06-2016, 12:30 PM
I often wonder that myself. Back in the 90s I used to love England. I used to watch them religiously. Now it jist seems like more of a chore than anything.

Fair reply :p
Chore or not it's our country our duty and as a mate said after Russia game England are so Palace they give inklings of hope and belief then dash it last minute:D:(.

orp pisshead1
17-06-2016, 12:45 PM
Me also.

The lows and highs I get with Palace are 100 times more affecting than anything england has ever provided though.

That's natural though as England is every few months etc whereas Palace is a weekly watch and daily thoughts. Love both equally and can't for life of see why others don't as I know i repeat it constantly but they NEVER clash fixture wise.
As someone posted the squad seems settled now and we've an English manager at the helm which i think helps focus the players more. The players certainly give a shit these days.
Can't stand Sturbridge but when he said scoring for his country was everything I thought top man :p.

Les Butler
17-06-2016, 12:52 PM
That's natural though as England is every few months etc whereas Palace is a weekly watch and daily thoughts. Love both equally and can't for life of see why others don't as I know i repeat it constantly but they NEVER clash fixture wise.
As someone posted the squad seems settled now and we've an English manager at the help which i think helps focus the players more. The players certainly give a shit these days.
Can't stand Sturbridge but when he said scoring for his country was everything I thought top man :p.

Did anyone hear Joe in the tunnel just before walking out ?

Something like "go f ucking at them" from the start no time to beep it out.

When Bale scored my guts turned I am the worse person to watch an England game with....You know that misrable f ucker in the next seat that moans and bitches thats me...

New LP
17-06-2016, 12:52 PM
I'm always surprised by how much I do care about England when a tournament comes around.

orp pisshead1
17-06-2016, 12:59 PM
Did anyone hear Joe in the tunnel just before walking out ?

Something like "go f ucking at them" from the start no time to beep it out.

When Bale scored my guts turned I am the worse person to watch an England game with....You know that misrable f ucker in the next seat that moans and bitches thats me...

:D nowt wrong with moaning Les it's cos you care:p.
No missed the Joe hart bit, whatever people think of Rooney his passion for his country is immense :lux:. Just like Punch for Palace .

orp pisshead1
17-06-2016, 01:02 PM
I'm always surprised by how much I do care about England when a tournament comes around.

I'm terrible I'm like it for all games:D. If working( i do nights) record the game and watch it in full regardless of result as i want to see how we played myself not just others opinion. Last sat I started 2 hours early so I could stop at 19.50 to watch game then clocked bk in at 21.50:D. Monday I'll have a short night and start at 10.

T at the Palace
17-06-2016, 01:11 PM
I find it strangely possible to support Palace and England, even though I like Palace more.

Same, I just don't have the same highs and lows with England, I still haven't got over the Cup Final yet :sob:

As an aside, I will always cheer for a country with a Palace player, so Wales get my support apart from when they are against us.

doogleboy
28-06-2016, 11:54 AM
bump

PalaceForever
28-06-2016, 01:11 PM
I used to care, but don't these days. You can't fake passion...I just don't feel passion for England in my belly anymore. I probably fell out of love with our set up around the Capello/McClaren glory years in 2008/2010. A shame as I before that I was on my feet for England and was a real optimist at the start of every tournament. When the final whistle went last night it was all just so inevitable...a wry smile and a shake of the head was about all I could muster. If Palace lose, it takes most of the weekend to get over the annoyance.

I love international football too. I spent the weekend in Paris enjoying the amazing atmosphere in the fan park and went to the Wales v Northern Ireland game.

If there was a shake up, I'd perhaps start caring again, but under the current FA with the yes man stooge of a manager through to players like Joe Hart and Jack Wileshire who are so hard to like...it just leaves me cold.

Halftime Gold
28-06-2016, 01:18 PM
I'm guessing the 2006 world cup marks the point a lot of people really stopped caring nearly as much as they used to, prior to that there seemed to be a sense of growth even if there was disappointment.

Theres been an effort to try and fake progress recently but really just a few set of big club cliques.

Latvian Eagle
28-06-2016, 01:24 PM
I used to love England and watched religiously. But the last 15 years we have lurched from one disaster to another. I actually found it quite hilarious losing last night. And slightly annoyed at how disrespectful both people and the press have been of Iceland. They deserved to win.

Jack Regan
28-06-2016, 02:18 PM
As regards international football, I can take it or leave it. For decades now, England have meant nothing to me, primarily due to being overhyped before every single tournament for no logical reason.

English fans abroad are an embarrassment, and before anyone trots out the old Millwall excuse that it's 'just a minority', save your breath.

Booing the opposition national anthem is totally disrespectful whichever side does it, but England fans always, always, always do it despite TV's best efforts to hide it, and it's not the 'minority', it's the vast majority.

Why English fans sing songs referring to Great Britain is beyond me (Land of Hope and Glory, Rule Britannia, God Save the Queen), whilst ignoring the one song that does refer to England (Jerusalem). And that shitty brass band is well past it's sell by date.

It's lovely to see well behaved, good natured banter amongst football fans out to enjoy themselves and have a few beers. England doesn't fall into that category, and I find it impossible to like them. That's been the situation since 1970 and it's got about as much chance of changing as Millwall have of cleaning up their act, or there being no sectarian chants at the next Old Firm fixture.

Chocky
28-06-2016, 03:14 PM
I used to be an England member and went to Wembley every major game and big friendlies up until I moved away in 2001, my last game was the Germany defeat at the old stadium. I was at every game in Euro96 which was brilliant and then gutting.

Now what do I feel today? Nothing. There is no comparison with how I felt on Sunday 22nd May not in a million years. Tossers.

EagleSE24
28-06-2016, 03:41 PM
I'm far, far harder on England and England players than I am with Palace, which I guess is because I don't care anywhere near as much about them as I do Palace.

EagleSE24
28-06-2016, 03:42 PM
I used to be an England member and went to Wembley every major game and big friendlies up until I moved away in 2001, my last game was the Germany defeat at the old stadium. I was at every game in Euro96 which was brilliant and then gutting.

Now what do I feel today? Nothing. There is no comparison with how I felt on Sunday 22nd May not in a million years. Tossers.

I'm still more disappointed by the Cup Final result a month ago than I am by the England result last night.

Jack Regan
28-06-2016, 04:00 PM
I'm still more disappointed by the Cup Final result a month ago than I am by the England result last night.

I should ruddy well hope so.

I'm still not over 1990, never mind last month.

Chocky
29-06-2016, 01:29 PM
I should ruddy well hope so.

I'm still not over 1990, never mind last month.

Me neither but that couldve been finally put to rest but oh no. Double grief now. 1990 Hughes and the Brighton bastard ref for not giving us a penalty in the replay and 2016 Rooney and Clattenburg.

philsick
29-06-2016, 03:58 PM
Just wondered if anyone else felt like this. At the start of the game i wanted england to win and was looking forward to a france v england 1/4 final . With about half an hour to go 2nd half ,i wanted iceland to hang on for a deserved win and put hodgesons pathetic england out of their misery.

danpalace07
30-06-2016, 12:30 AM
Just wondered if anyone else felt like this. At the start of the game i wanted england to win and was looking forward to a france v england 1/4 final . With about half an hour to go 2nd half ,i wanted iceland to hang on for a deserved win and put hodgesons pathetic england out of their misery.

by the end of the game I'd have been disappointed if we managed to get a flukey equaliser. We just didn't deserve it.

Bones14
30-06-2016, 01:48 AM
There is always talk of when England underachieved. But when was the last time England was seen to overachieve or at least play to their optimum?

dweedman
30-06-2016, 04:02 AM
There is always talk of when England underachieved. But when was the last time England was seen to overachieve or at least play to their optimum?

1990 World Cup and Euro 96, I'd say.

strolling bones
30-06-2016, 04:13 AM
difficult to care when a country the size of Iceland makes us look so inept. difficult to care when you see the so called best 11 this country can muster play like a team from a pub league, and difficult to muster any sort of fervor, or pride, when there is none coming from the players..but do I care? ..we'll yes, it's pretty embarrassing..

PhuketEagle
30-06-2016, 09:39 AM
What was the question again?

RazorsEdge
30-06-2016, 05:16 PM
What was the question again?

Do you take milk with your tea? that was the question I reckon......

waddoneagle
30-06-2016, 06:06 PM
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13507144_999645883488544_7630903165812088084_n.jpg ?oh=04fbfdcf4e5532e10e412cdcaa852a3d&oe=57EFABA7

New LP
30-06-2016, 10:37 PM
1990 World Cup and Euro 96, I'd say.

One or two glimpses since, the 5-1 in Munich and beating Argentina in the World Cup in Japan. But I agree we've had little to enjoy for many years.