PDA

View Full Version : 1.82 goals per game

Brett
21-06-2016, 02:30 PM
So far.

Will it get better from here? Even Italia 90 - widely considered to be the most sterile tournament in living memory - mustered 2.12 goals per game.

It's been even worse in Euros before. In 1968, the average was 1.4 goals although the tournament only consisted of semi-finals and final.

In 1980, the average was 1.93 goals per game. No wonder the England fans demolished Italy that summer.

Perhaps it's the adjustment to more teams that is behind this. When the Euros switched to 16 teams in 1996, the goals per game average was a measly 2.06. It then never dropped below 2.45 until this edition.

Thoughts?

Les Butler
21-06-2016, 02:43 PM
That's what you get for letting the smaller nations in who have not got a rats hell in a chance of actually taking a game to the opposition so they park the bus hope they get a break away goal they get through the round robin then hope for penalties .

Brett
21-06-2016, 02:57 PM
That's why I found 1996 interesting. The GPG dropped off a cliff with the likes of the Czechs, Romanians, Bulgarians and Turks qualifying. But as they qualified for more tournaments and the larger number of teams became the norm, the GPG went back up until now i.e. further expansion.

Wonder if there is anything in that or do we get used to more sterile Euros.

Wycombe Eagle#2
21-06-2016, 05:42 PM
Really think the the best 3rd place teams qualifying have f@@@@@ it right up. Teams playing out draws and Poland Vs Germany was the case in point where they both won their first games virtually almost qualifying straight away. Both then went on to play a drab 0-0 draw. If it was only 2 teams Slovakia would've had to have a bit of a go last night. A draw guaranteed them through so fair play to them.

David of Kent
21-06-2016, 05:56 PM
Not enjoyed it so far at all. The quality has been diluted and the 3rd place qualifications don't work. However, as with the 1982 World Cup, it was surely just a way of actually increasing the tournament ultimately to 32 teams as they can turn around and say "yes, the math doesn't work with 24, let's increase it". Which will be even more crazy

philsick
21-06-2016, 06:08 PM
The last euros was so good after the disappointment of the world cup 2010 . All the teams were good and went for the win playing attacking footy . This has just ****ed it up . Tournaments should be a festival of attacking football played by the best players on th planet,not dire matches of defensive dross.Hopefully the latter stages will throw up some classics.

Always Offside
21-06-2016, 06:17 PM
86 WC had some classic knock out games. Soviet Union v Belgium (3-4) is one of the best games of international football Iíve ever seen. Bulgaria and Uruguay qualified for the 2nd phase with just 2 points. Both were then rightly knocked out.

CT_Palace
21-06-2016, 07:25 PM
Copa America 2016 is at 3 goals per game with 4 games left to play.
It's been way more exciting to watch than the Euros so far.

Panther
21-06-2016, 07:45 PM
Where have all the strikers gone? Even those with big reputations have hardly shown yet.

cpfc4evandeva
21-06-2016, 08:37 PM
Really think the the best 3rd place teams qualifying have f@@@@@ it right up. Teams playing out draws and Poland Vs Germany was the case in point where they both won their first games virtually almost qualifying straight away. Both then went on to play a drab 0-0 draw. If it was only 2 teams Slovakia would've had to have a bit of a go last night. A draw guaranteed them through so fair play to them.

^^^

Good luck to Northern Ireland, I never begrudge a smaller team like Palace doing well... But it's silly that a team can qualify out of a group with 1 win and 2 losses.

meee
21-06-2016, 09:46 PM
^^^

Good luck to Northern Ireland, I never begrudge a smaller team like Palace doing well... But it's silly that a team can qualify out of a group with 1 win and 2 losses.

Even with top 2 going through you can get 2 points and go through, but I agree 3rd placed teams is too much in a 4 team group.

Brett
21-06-2016, 09:46 PM
Dropped to 1.81 after today's matches. :wallbash:

Skin Up
22-06-2016, 11:45 AM
That's what you get for letting the smaller nations in who have not got a rats hell in a chance of actually taking a game to the opposition so they park the bus hope they get a break away goal they get through the round robin then hope for penalties .

This and the format have been major issues. If it were 2 through per group the minnows would have had to attack at some point. The formats been shit because

a) It encourages defensive play. 3 draws is probably enough so the lesser teams play for draws or even 1 nil defeats! You couldn't do that with only 2 going through.

b) It removes a lot of the suspense in the final group games, makes it less exciting.

c) Its unfair, as has been pointed out teams in the last 2 groups know exactly what they need to do.

d) Its slightly unfair structurally as some group winners play runners up and others play 3rd placers.

This kind of lop-sided tournament should have been left in the past. They'd have been better doing 32 teams.

CedarEagle
22-06-2016, 12:17 PM
Regardless of entertainment I've put £ 10 on every match to have <2.5 goals. Odds vary but I'm well up.

Joe.L
23-06-2016, 11:30 AM
Regardless of entertainment I've put £ 10 on every match to have <2.5 goals. Odds vary but I'm well up.

I've been following a similar strategy along with laying favourites and am also well in front. The goals seemed to be coming more freely the last couple of days but then again last night there were two games with only a goal apiece. Think I might quit while I'm ahead now as expecting the knockout stages to be much more attacking and for the stronger teams to come through.

Brett
23-06-2016, 11:52 AM
Hungary and Portgual went and ruined the theory. GPG is now up to 1.97.

Les Butler
23-06-2016, 01:18 PM

This is what happens when they open up and attack each other...Both defenses were not all that ...I hope Iceland want to have a go but I doubt that very much.

elgin eagle
23-06-2016, 08:24 PM

Very few sides play with 2 up front these days either of course.

Brett
25-06-2016, 10:07 PM
Back down to 1.87.

philsick
26-06-2016, 09:25 AM
Apart from fans enjoying themselves, does anyone still think having alot of extra really poor sides in the tourno is a good thing? 3 games played in the last 16, all dreadful,with poor teams guaranteed to go all the way. Good games are few and far between,whereas the last euros was good from start to finish.

Not enough teams want to play attacking football,most want to play on the counter.Snore

cpfc4evandeva
26-06-2016, 09:33 AM
Apart from fans enjoying themselves, does anyone still think having alot of extra really poor sides in the tourno is a good thing? 3 games played in the last 16, all dreadful,with poor teams guaranteed to go all the way. Good games are few and far between,whereas the last euros was good from start to finish.

Not enough teams want to play attacking football,most want to play on the counter.Snore

Apart from UEFA and the fans from countries to otherwise qualify, who on earth ever thought going to 24 teams was a good idea?

It always used to be said that winning a European Championships was sometimes harder than winning the World Cup, due to the consistent level of quality across the 16 European teams. You definitely cannot say that now. How many really tough games have Wales had so far, yet they find themselves in the last 8.