PDA

View Full Version : The Tournament So Far

Baffled Bob 2
22-06-2016, 09:53 AM
Any thoughts?

I think the group phase has been spoilt a bit by the increase to 24 teams. With 16 teams, the tournament was short and sweet.

Hopefully I won't be accused as an England fan of sour grapes but there was something unedifying about the way Slovakia celebrated finishing 3rd in the group. They've got potentially one of the most dangerous players in the competition but I hardly heard his name mentioned on Monday. The same has happened in the last games for most of the groups. Apart from Wales!

My view is that 16 was the ideal number of teams for the tournament. But if the decision was made to increase then we should have gone to 32 and had 8 groups of 4. Then you get the jeopardy of 2 teams missing out and hopefully a bit more adventure.

gnulfz
22-06-2016, 10:08 AM
Any thoughts?

I think the group phase has been spoilt a bit by the increase to 24 teams. With 16 teams, the tournament was short and sweet.

Hopefully I won't be accused as an England fan of sour grapes but there was something unedifying about the way Slovakia celebrated finishing 3rd in the group. They've got potentially one of the most dangerous players in the competition but I hardly heard his name mentioned on Monday. The same has happened in the last games for most of the groups. Apart from Wales!

My view is that 16 was the ideal number of teams for the tournament. But if the decision was made to increase then we should have gone to 32 and had 8 groups of 4. Then you get the jeopardy of 2 teams missing out and hopefully a bit more adventure.

Yeah I think it's a bit ridiculous that a team with zero points after two games (Turkey) still has a shot at making it to the last 16. Northern Ireland did the same after showing less than nothing against Poland and Germany. The Euro's were always extremely competitive but this is not it.

Kylie_Tracey
22-06-2016, 10:34 AM
^^^^ agree with this, same with the teams that have one solitary point, I've enjoyed the tournament but there have been many games with teams so focused on drawing that it almost makes the draw and a win seem too close, half a point for a draw and 4 points for a win would be better, The Slovaks,Russia the RoI have been particularity dire

PalaceNI
22-06-2016, 10:48 AM
Northern Ireland did the same after showing less than nothing against Poland and Germany. The Euro's were always extremely competitive but this is not it.

Our first game against Poland we were poor, yes, but that was our first ever game at a European championship, we changed our set up that ultimately cost us, but we learned from that and went for it in the Ukraine game. Against Germany, seriously what else did you expect? We are a nation of about 50 professional footballers ffs, Germany dominant games against the best teams in the world, we weren't exactly going to go out and go toe to toe with them, we'd have taking a hammering. We done what we had to do to get through, as have all the other smaller nations who have qualified. You play to your strengths, simple.

David of Kent
22-06-2016, 10:55 AM
Slightly depressing that teams that have lost 2 out of 3 games are going through and celebrating. Just doing whatever they can to lengthen a tournament that didn't need it. I felt the same way about the World Cup years ago, but have somewhat changed my mind about that. However, Europe doesn't have enough quality to provide the continent with a great 24 team tournament

RobertCPFC
22-06-2016, 11:04 AM
Slightly depressing that teams that have lost 2 out of 3 games are going through and celebrating. Just doing whatever they can to lengthen a tournament that didn't need it. I felt the same way about the World Cup years ago, but have somewhat changed my mind about that. However, Europe doesn't have enough quality to provide the continent with a great 24 team tournament

I agree with you. I don't think the old format needed changing.

David of Kent
22-06-2016, 11:06 AM
I agree with you. I don't think the old format needed changing.

I may have been a little over OTT with depressing given I want the Northern Irish to do well, but that's the thing. I want them to do well, not just survive because the tournament is being dragged out

Icy
22-06-2016, 11:13 AM
Whilst the 3rd placers qualifying is stupid, i have enjoyed the colour and passion the smaller teams have brought to the tournament. Iceland holding out against Portugal has been one of the moments of the tournament.

greybot
22-06-2016, 11:19 AM
Germany Norn Iron was one of the most enjoyable games for me so far because of their amazing support. They didn't stop singing for a second. Glad they get to enjoy one more game.

ExCroydon_CPFC
22-06-2016, 01:00 PM
Will be more exciting in the knockouts, and not necessarily a bad thing to enable more teams to qualify for groups. You could say it increases competition as every game can mean something, even for teams that lose their first 2.

I like the new format, even if it didn't benefit England as all 3 opponents well and truly parked the bus and were extremely negative against us. Might not have been the case if only top 2 went through.

David of Kent
22-06-2016, 05:54 PM
This afternoon was a little shot in the arm for the tournament.

SE5eagle
22-06-2016, 06:04 PM
I like the fact that the teams still have everything to play for in the final group game.

I can't work out wtf is going on at any given time though, but that's fairly standard for me.

Seagull-Eater_ Miss_Selhurst_ SE19_denizen
22-06-2016, 06:05 PM
its always interesting to see great reputations getting trashed....Ibrahimovich, Russia, Nederlands,

and nice to see the minnows flourish....Wales, Iceland, Kante

Jim Cannon
22-06-2016, 06:13 PM
It's a bit of a muddle, hopefully they can find a way of making this better. I don't mind 24 teams though as it makes the tournament longer = less time in the summer without football

Adlerhorst
22-06-2016, 06:41 PM
The bottom half of the knockout draw is insane.

RazorsEdge
22-06-2016, 06:54 PM
I enjoyed it and I think it gives small countries like Slovakia, Northern Ireland etc a chance to stay longer which is good.

Seagull-Eater_ Miss_Selhurst_ SE19_denizen
22-06-2016, 07:10 PM
it seems to be every country in Europe except for Scotland.

evvo111
22-06-2016, 07:11 PM
Out of the group winners I'd say that there are 2 (Wales and Hungary), possibly 3 (Croatia), which are upsets. I'd say that makes the make up of the competition a success as it's good to give the bigger sides a good kick up the backside every so often.

westsussexeagle
23-06-2016, 09:00 AM
The bottom half of the knockout draw is insane.

Indeed it is - Germany, France, Spain, and Italy, oh and of course England. Makes you wonder whether when Roy handed in his team sheet for the Slovakia game he was also handing in an early resignation letter. Still England's loss is Wales gain and they may well go far given the teams left in their half.