PDA

View Full Version : Arrogant English pundits

Chris B
22-06-2016, 07:45 PM
I am English and would desperately love England to win the tournament.

However this afternoon after it was known that England would face Iceland in the last 16, I found the attitude of our so-called expert pundits embarrassing. In particular Rio Ferdinand, arrogant tw&t seemed to think it was a shoe-in that we would easily beat Iceland. Here is a team who have drawn with Portugal and Hungary and beaten Austria. Surely they deserve more respect.

We on the other hand have failed to beat Russia and Slovakia and only beat Wales thanks to a last minute winner. Unless we play much better than we did in our group games, we could all be in for a nasty shock. We cannot afford to be complacent. Iceland have fully deserved their place in the last 16 and will not be easy opponents.

In some ways Portugal might have been easier. A team who would have come at us rather than one sitting back. Our ability to break down mass defences has been pretty poor up to now.

Why do we employ such arrogant tw&ts as pundits?

joyce the voice
22-06-2016, 07:54 PM
the fact that Germany have gone further or as far as England in EVERY tournament since 1966 just tells you how crap we actually are. I mean, that's 25 bloody tournaments! Why do we think we're any good?

Joooe
22-06-2016, 07:59 PM
I don't remember any of them saying we would definitely defeat them. Surely they were only reflecting the natural feeling most fans had at avoiding Portugal?

That's a natural feeling given our history against them and their attacking talent.

evvo111
22-06-2016, 07:59 PM
I think Iceland have done well in the competition so far.

David of Kent
22-06-2016, 08:03 PM
the fact that Germany have gone further or as far as England in EVERY tournament since 1966 just tells you how crap we actually are. I mean, that's 25 bloody tournaments! Why do we think we're any good?

How dare you forget Euro 2004!

As for Rio, I heard it more that he thought it was good that we avoided a bogey side in Portugal than that he was disparaging Iceland. He's still a bit of a tosser though if that helps

New LP
22-06-2016, 08:05 PM
Iceland are decent and another team who will defend deep which appears to be our problem.

However, you would take them over Portugal and Ronaldo surely so the pundits were just reflecting how we all felt when they scored late and we avoided the Portuguese.

Always Offside
22-06-2016, 08:08 PM
Good first post. Henry put him down, though, when saying France always beat Portugal. It’s nice to hear from pundits like him and Lothar Matthäus that know what is required to win a tournament.

Les Butler
22-06-2016, 08:20 PM
At least were down to arrogant pundits ....I did not mind playing Portugal but feck I would rather play Iceland ;)

On one thread we have bloke saying we should be beating these sides and giving shit because we have not got high expectations and now we have this ....Cannot really win can you :D

What can you moan about next you miserable bunch of bastards :D

Ruskin Old Boy
22-06-2016, 08:20 PM
Good first post. Henry put him down, though, when saying France always beat Portugal. It’s nice to hear from pundits like him and Lothar Matthäus that know what is required to win a tournament.

Spot on.

What's Rio done. Couldn't even make a drugs test.

DryRubber
22-06-2016, 08:31 PM
Spot on.

What's Rio done. Couldn't even make a drugs test.

Could not play for England once as had 'a back problem' then proceeded to jump on a flight to the Middle East for a load of ££££ to do some commentary.

Les Butler
22-06-2016, 08:31 PM
And thinking about Yes we should beat fecking Iceland !!!

They are right.

RobertCPFC
22-06-2016, 08:32 PM
After the Champions League final I can't take Rio seriously any more.

Seagull-Eater_ Miss_Selhurst_ SE19_denizen
22-06-2016, 09:44 PM
Plug. Millwall ManUre Scum

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01340/RioFerdinand_380_1340772a.jpg

Mad Raschic Ken
23-06-2016, 07:26 AM
Iceland have looked good and I'm sure they will make it difficult for England, but the truth is that it would be incredibly embarrassing for England to lose to Iceland. Let's be honest, what would the non-England fans say if we did lose? Pretty sure they would be laughing uncontrollably rather than saying something along the lines of "unlucky, you lost to a good team and can hold your heads up high"!

Having said all that we have struggled to break teams down when they sit deep, so I was hoping for Portugal as I think they're not great, but would have attacked. We will need an early goal if we are to get through to play Ireland (who must surely get revenge against France if there's any justice) in the QF.

Mr Palace
23-06-2016, 08:01 AM
We should beat them. No excuses. He's right. If we play anywhere near our best and Hodgson doesn't mess it up tactically, then we should win.

olly cromwell
23-06-2016, 08:30 AM
Will the shop staff be allowed to play for them ?
Thats why mums go to Iceland

Seagull-Eater_ Miss_Selhurst_ SE19_denizen
23-06-2016, 09:21 AM
will they park the Freezers in front of goal ? or will they go off like a volcano ?

Baffled Bob 2
23-06-2016, 10:22 AM
Why are the respective populations relevant? I don't remember anyone mentioning them when we played Russia.

Halftime Gold
23-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Why are the respective populations relevant? I don't remember anyone mentioning them when we played Russia.

Someone might look at the stadium and think its a good idea to burgle Iceland whilst everyone is out.

The most important factor of course is with Iceland, Northern Ireland and Wales in the knockout stages it makes Scotland look all the worse.

Lombardo's hair
23-06-2016, 10:40 AM
I agree to a certain extent with opening post. There is an incredible lack of respect for the so called lesser international teams such as Iceland. Remember the arrogance of the FA when WC was instigated. Not entering and sending weakened teams. The hungarians battered us twice in the 50s but we still considered ourselves among elite of world football. Remember times when we used to thrash Turkey Denmark Finland and the like? Just because a country does not have a tradition of success it doesn't make them crap. If it did then England are crap. The usa are getting stronger as are many African nations yet our pundits still talk patronisingly about them. World football is changing. It wouldn't surprise me if Iceland beat. In Italia 90 Cameroon were the surprise package having beaten established countries en route to quarter final with England. Pundits still expected an easy win despite evidence to contrary. England got through only because of a benevolent referee. After going a goal down Cameroon opened up and tore us apart and went 2 1 up deservedly. But 2 dubious late pens put us through. Pundits are gormless.

just thought I'd resurrect this

Lombardo's hair
23-06-2016, 10:42 AM
We should beat them. No excuses. He's right. If we play anywhere near our best and Hodgson doesn't mess it up tactically, then we should win.

Surely Austria Portugal and Hungary all thought that too.

Zulu84
23-06-2016, 10:56 AM

and they would be right.

Lombardo's hair
23-06-2016, 11:00 AM
and they would be right.

So all 3 got their tactics wrong. incredible that 3 international managers are incapable of getting tactics right against minnows. Same problem For 17 PL managers last season with Leicester. None got their tactics right.

Zulu84
23-06-2016, 11:09 AM
So all 3 got their tactics wrong. incredible that 3 international managers are incapable of getting tactics right against minnows. Same problem For 17 PL managers last season with Leicester. None got their tactics right.

Sooooo you think on the balance of probability Iceland should beat all those teams then? England, Austria, Hungary and Portugal all have better players than Iceland and on balance should win. If Iceland played those teams 10 times each they would probably lose more than they would win. But whether that actually happens is an entirely different matter and is what makes sports....well sports.

EagleSE24
23-06-2016, 11:25 AM
England and Ireland wins please. Would be great to play them for a place in the semis.

Golf Boy
23-06-2016, 11:55 AM
They will park the bus. Borefest. I don't know why people are celebrating these teams. Must be the Pulis factor.

CedarEagle
23-06-2016, 12:33 PM
I don't mind a bit of patriotism but I got so fed up with Andy Townshend last night I turned the sound off. He's annoying generally but he was too biased. A bit like players who appeal for everything even though half the time they know they're cheating.

CedarEagle
23-06-2016, 12:37 PM
If you remove Bale from the Wales team, Wales, NI, Ireland and Iceland or all pretty similar. Limited in attack but damned good at defending.

England need to be clever to unlock them. Lumping big balls in won't do. Sturridge is best suited to the clever approach.

Lombardo's hair
23-06-2016, 12:38 PM
I don't mind a bit of patriotism but I got so fed up with Andy Townshend last night I turned the sound off. He's annoying generally but he was too biased. A bit like players who appeal for everything even though half the time they know they're cheating.

Had to laugh when he thought one of the Italian players was on a yellow and felt he should have been given a second. But had misunderstood that first yellow was in an earlier match. Obviously not paying attention

Lombardo's hair
23-06-2016, 12:48 PM
Sooooo you think on the balance of probability Iceland should beat all those teams then? England, Austria, Hungary and Portugal all have better players than Iceland and on balance should win. If Iceland played those teams 10 times each they would probably lose more than they would win. But whether that actually happens is an entirely different matter and is what makes sports....well sports.

No you miss point. Teams especially national teams improve. possibly temporarily because they suddenly have a rich vein of talent or they develop through better coaching etc. What I am saying is they should be viewed as they are l now, not based on historical data. Iceland have achieved what they have over a 2 year period. But based on their past they are viewed as easy meat. They are not and will not be on Monday. My point stands from earlier. Pundits look at a nation/clubs history when deciding who should beat whom. I refer to USA and African Nations. Watch out. They are a coming

Lombardo's hair
23-06-2016, 12:49 PM

No you miss point. Teams especially national teams improve. possibly temporarily because they suddenly have a rich vein of talent or they develop through better coaching etc. What I am saying is they should be viewed as they are l now, not based on historical data. Iceland have achieved what they have over a 2 year period not a couple of good weeks. But based on their past they are viewed as easy meat. They are not and will not be on Monday. My point stands from earlier. Pundits look at a nation/clubs history when deciding who should beat whom. I refer to USA and African Nations. Watch out. They are a coming

meee
23-06-2016, 12:51 PM
I agree to a certain extent with opening post. There is an incredible lack of respect for the so called lesser international teams such as Iceland. Remember the arrogance of the FA when WC was instigated. Not entering and sending weakened teams. The hungarians battered us twice in the 50s but we still considered ourselves among elite of world football. Remember times when we used to thrash Turkey Denmark Finland and the like? Just because a country does not have a tradition of success it doesn't make them crap. If it did then England are crap. The usa are getting stronger as are many African nations yet our pundits still talk patronisingly about them. World football is changing. It wouldn't surprise me if Iceland beat. In Italia 90 Cameroon were the surprise package having beaten established countries en route to quarter final with England. Pundits still expected an easy win despite evidence to contrary. England got through only because of a benevolent referee. After going a goal down Cameroon opened up and tore us apart and went 2 1 up deservedly. But 2 dubious late pens put us through. Pundits are gormless.
This post just about sums up my feelings too.Just because nations have traditionally been better doesn't mean they always will be.During the Portugal v Austria game the commentators were treating Austria as the underdogs and were almost in shock that they could hang on to a 0-0.This is the same Austria that cruised through qualifying.France v Romania was another good example.Romania had the best defence in qualifying and yet the commentators seemed startled that they could defend against France.

Probably not Hungary as they were widely considered the weakest team in that group.Their tournament has probably been the big story so far in terms of shocks.

Les Butler
23-06-2016, 12:57 PM

What should we say ?

Pretend we are scared of them give them over the top respect to make Iceland feel better and a bit more confidant ....We should beat them and if we do not it will be one of the biggest upsets of the tournament...Feck their population is 325 000 Croydon is 376,040.

Its not being arrogant at all to say we should 9 times out of 10 beat Iceland.
Plus up to Yesterday the three teams you talk about played bloody awful including Portugal .

meee
23-06-2016, 01:00 PM
What should we say ?

Pretend we are scared of them give them over the top respect to make Iceland feel better and a bit more confidant ....We should beat them and if we do not it will be one of the biggest upsets of the tournament...Feck their population is 325 000 Croydon is 376,040.

Its not being arrogant at all to say we should 9 times out of 10 beat Iceland.
Plus up to Yesterday the three teams you talk about played bloody awful including Portugal .

We can all say what we like.As can pundits.The issue with pundits is that they're not giving the "expert" opinions that they are supposedly paid to give.They are just saying the usual tired rubbish that you hear over and over again.They're paid for being experts but they don't sound like they know anything.

Lombardo's hair
23-06-2016, 01:06 PM
We can all say what we like.As can pundits.The issue with pundits is that they're not giving the "expert" opinions that they are supposedly paid to give.They are just saying the usual tired rubbish that you hear over and over again.They're paid for being experts but they don't sound like they know anything.

Precisely. And er didn't Iceland finish above those minnows Holland. Did the double I believe.

Les Butler
23-06-2016, 01:12 PM

What can they say differently except we should beat Iceland its stating the obvious ...Its tired because we have heard the same crap over and over all sports are the same on that score.

I wonder if any of teams get criticism like this from top to bottom....In the middle of a tournament the manager who has not lost a game from qualification even up to now finds his FA are touting his job what does that do to the players....No wonder the team looks nervous to win take chances with so much pressure on their backs before they have even kicked a ball.

Feck we don't know who or what to have a go at next....Do other teams get this ?

meee
23-06-2016, 01:21 PM
What can they say differently except we should beat Iceland its stating the obvious ...Its tired because we have heard the same crap over and over all sports are the same on that score.

I wonder if any of teams get criticism like this from top to bottom....In the middle of a tournament the manager who has not lost a game from qualification even up to now finds his FA are touting his job what does that do to the players....No wonder the team looks nervous to win take chances with so much pressure on their backs before they have even kicked a ball.

Feck we don't know who or what to have a go at next....Do other teams get this ?

I'm sure all teams get a huge amount of criticism from their press and fans.I know Russia have at this tournament and France and Italy always do.As for the pundits,suggesting we should beat Iceland is pushing it a bit.Firstly it is a one off game where you would say England are slight favourites but to suggest it would be an easier game than Portugal would be overstating it a bit.We can only look at results over the past few years and recent history suggests that Iceland are on a similar level to both Portugal and England.The quality of their side is also not that far behind,albeit with a few of their regulars playing in the Championship while every England player plays in the Premier League.That's why I make England slight favourites.The problem with pundits is I haven't heard a reasoned argument as to why they think England should be Iceland,just that it should happen.

Les Butler
23-06-2016, 01:28 PM
I know the FIFA world rankings are mostly crap we are 11th to them being 34th....Slight edge :D ...I think we have much much better players we will not be parking the bus and if they don't we should win easily.

If they put 11 men behind the ball we will get more of the same.

eagle mart
23-06-2016, 01:51 PM
They will park the bus. Borefest. I don't know why people are celebrating these teams. Must be the Pulis factor.

This in bucket loads.

I'm hoping for more ROI type games. That was like a proper English cup tie, where the favourite clearly had their eye on a slightly bigger prize.

Les Butler
23-06-2016, 01:52 PM
Oh and just to add (please don't let this come back and bite me in the arse) but when we do beat Iceland on Monday are some of you who are hyping up Iceland going to get that real satisfaction or boast like you have just beaten a France or a Germany even a Portugal going into work shouting England !!!.....Course not because most would look like you are mad !!

Les Butler
23-06-2016, 01:54 PM
This in bucket loads.

I'm hoping for more ROI type games. That was like a proper English cup tie, where the favourite clearly had their eye on a slightly bigger prize.

Spot on.

Lombardo's hair
23-06-2016, 02:36 PM
Oh and just to add (please don't let this come back and bite me in the arse) but when we do beat Iceland on Monday are some of you who are hyping up Iceland going to get that real satisfaction or boast like you have just beaten a France or a Germany even a Portugal going into work shouting England !!!.....Course not because most would look like you are mad !!

OMG. You don't seem to grasp the issue. The post is about the ignorance of the pundits not about England d's rank in world football. The point is they are not easy opponents. Why is Portugal seen as more difficult? Iceland drew with them. Iceland d beat Holland twice. They beat Turkey who are quire a decent team. It's pundits being unable to see what is going on that is the issue.

Les Butler
23-06-2016, 03:33 PM
I do grasp the issue and if a team is parking the bus with no intent to actually attack like most of these teams you will get nil nils and a shock result....If Iceland went full out attacking with Portugal head to head in an open game Portugal would murder them.

I think Iceland have done very well but I still do not think they cannot go head to head in this competition with some of the top teams....If England go a head early we will see if they can handle attack and defending rather than just defending..

Its all about different opinions we all have them ;)

big bad John
23-06-2016, 05:18 PM
Someone might look at the stadium and think its a good idea to burgle Iceland whilst everyone is out.

. Apparently, and this might just be a rumour, but Icelandic Airlines have had to put on extra flights from John Lennon Airport to Reykjavik.

Chris B
23-06-2016, 05:33 PM
If you remove Bale from the Wales team, Wales, NI, Ireland and Iceland or all pretty similar. Limited in attack but damned good at defending.

Sounds like England's performance in the group games!

Zulu84
23-06-2016, 05:41 PM
No you miss point. Teams especially national teams improve. possibly temporarily because they suddenly have a rich vein of talent or they develop through better coaching etc. What I am saying is they should be viewed as they are l now, not based on historical data. Iceland have achieved what they have over a 2 year period. But based on their past they are viewed as easy meat. They are not and will not be on Monday. My point stands from earlier. Pundits look at a nation/clubs history when deciding who should beat whom. I refer to USA and African Nations. Watch out. They are a coming

I get what youre saying, and agree that teams outside the traditional big football nations are getting closer but there is still nothing wrong with looking at the players on either side and then making a judgment on who should win. Austria would be a case in point, by no means a traditional power but they have an excellent team so had high expectations for the media but that for whatever reason didn't click. I think we as a footballing nation lack some serious swagger (bad word I know but that sums it up). Look at the rugby team for instance, we spent the last 10 years being so polite and nice about other teams and it did nothing for the players. Now Jones has them believing that they should win and that it's OK to think that, to have an edge. Hodgson doesn't do that for the players and I don't think the players look like they truly believe that should be crushing bad teams. He shouldn't be accepting 2 draws, but he does and that infects the players with thinking average is good enough.

Lombardo's hair
23-06-2016, 09:04 PM
I get what youre saying, and agree that teams outside the traditional big football nations are getting closer but there is still nothing wrong with looking at the players on either side and then making a judgment on who should win. Austria would be a case in point, by no means a traditional power but they have an excellent team so had high expectations for the media but that for whatever reason didn't click. I think we as a footballing nation lack some serious swagger (bad word I know but that sums it up). Look at the rugby team for instance, we spent the last 10 years being so polite and nice about other teams and it did nothing for the players. Now Jones has them believing that they should win and that it's OK to think that, to have an edge. Hodgson doesn't do that for the players and I don't think the players look like they truly believe that should be crushing teams. He shouldn't be accepting 2 draws, but he does and that infects the players with thinking average is good enough.
No problem with team believing only the apparent ignorance of so called experts. I wonder if their attitude towards Iceland and the like affected by the lack of PL players in squad. Or la liga etc? its also the pundits/media who put more pressure on the team by writing off these nations as cannon fodder which they most certainly are not. Unless it's San Marino.

orp pisshead1
23-06-2016, 11:11 PM
After the Champions League final I can't take Rio seriously any more.

What happened?
I don't watch the plastic cup compition :D.

Celestial Empire
24-06-2016, 01:10 AM
These games are cup/tournament games.
There are a couple of countries which know how to win consistently, then the rest who can all beat each other. Just like the FA cup.

BaldEagle96
24-06-2016, 10:21 AM
We will beat Iceland. End of! Might sound arrogant but so be it!

Chris B
27-06-2016, 09:13 PM

Sounds extremely arrogant and ignorant but so be it! End of!!!!

Chris B
27-06-2016, 09:15 PM
I am English and would desperately love England to win the tournament.

However this afternoon after it was known that England would face Iceland in the last 16, I found the attitude of our so-called expert pundits embarrassing. In particular Rio Ferdinand, arrogant tw&t seemed to think it was a shoe-in that we would easily beat Iceland. Here is a team who have drawn with Portugal and Hungary and beaten Austria. Surely they deserve more respect.

We on the other hand have failed to beat Russia and Slovakia and only beat Wales thanks to a last minute winner. Unless we play much better than we did in our group games, we could all be in for a nasty shock. We cannot afford to be complacent. Iceland have fully deserved their place in the last 16 and will not be easy opponents.

In some ways Portugal might have been easier. A team who would have come at us rather than one sitting back. Our ability to break down mass defences has been pretty poor up to now.

Why do we employ such arrogant tw&ts as pundits?

Extremely disappointed by England's elimination. But I did warn you all........

PALACEFAN
27-06-2016, 09:17 PM
The media have been ridiculous all week. But to be fair they always are.

meee
27-06-2016, 09:18 PM
The media have been ridiculous all week. But to be fair they always are.

They never learn.:D

grand aigle
27-06-2016, 09:30 PM

That went well didn't it ???

PALACEFAN
27-06-2016, 09:32 PM

You were saying?

Les Butler
27-06-2016, 09:39 PM
You were saying?

It a big upset....There would have not been many putting money on it ..

Its not arrogant to think you are the better team when you should fecking well be.

But thats England when you think it can only get better it gets fecking worse.

Chris B
27-06-2016, 09:57 PM

Its not arrogant to think you are the better team when you should fecking well be.

Bald Eagles comment was: "we will beat Iceland. End of!"

Are you seriously trying to tell us that was not arrogant??!! I said these type of comment (from TV pundits) were arrogant before the match. Now they look arrogant and ignorant! Indefensible comments.

Lombardo's hair
27-06-2016, 10:01 PM

The point is on form Iceland were as good as us if not better. That is what we should look at. The only reason I didn't put money on iceland is because I wanted us to win. Also they are a better team That is the point. They were more organised and more together than our shambles.

PALACEFAN
27-06-2016, 10:01 PM

Iceland won their group qualifying group, beating Holland home and away. They finished second in their group - just like England. And England have not exactly looked much better at the tournament. Football is not about just about who has the most players playing in the top half of the Englis league. It it a team game. I always thought it would be tight - as did many others. You only had to watch Iceland at this tournament to think that.

Chris B
27-06-2016, 10:06 PM

Iceland beat Holland twice in qualifying yet you assumed a poor England team would beat them easily.

Arrogant and ignorant!

Always Offside
27-06-2016, 10:14 PM
Iceland beat Holland twice in qualifying yet you assumed a poor England team would beat them easily.

Arrogant and ignorant!He judges the team on the qualifying campaign.

Has Ferdinand tweeted? Hopefully, there is no need for any English pundits at this tournament from now on.

27-06-2016, 10:16 PM

:p

Chris B
27-06-2016, 10:17 PM
He judges the team on the qualifying campaign.

Has Ferdinand tweeted? Hopefully, there is no need for any English pundits at this tournament from now on.

Listen to Shearer on MOTD. 100% sense.

01CPFC
28-06-2016, 05:57 AM

It bit you in the arse Les,you Foss Avenue people don't have a clue!
LOL

weltklasse
28-06-2016, 06:11 AM
And thinking about Yes we should beat fecking Iceland !!!

They are right.

Just had to requote this and ask why?:D

Jack Regan
28-06-2016, 02:52 PM
Here's an example of the arrogance of the pundits/presenters:

With England 1-2 down at half-time yesterday, the ITV presenter asked the pundit panel 'does Roy drop Joe Hart for the quarter-final?'

He didn't even say, '...if we get there'

England out of Euro 2016.

Good.

Chris B
28-06-2016, 04:22 PM

Bald Eagle 96 has gone very quiet since the Iceland result. Has he been offered a job with the BBC panel of pundits?

BaldEagle96
29-06-2016, 08:06 AM
Bald Eagle 96 has gone very quiet since the Iceland result. Has he been offered a job with the BBC panel of pundits?

Nah, I am still here.

If we were to play them again today I would say the same thing. We were easily good enough to beat them but on the day we played some of the worst football I have ever seen and they played very well.

Fair play to them but even though I nailed my colours to the mast at the time I did not see many (if any) come on this thread and say we would not win!

ebyeeckeagle
29-06-2016, 08:24 AM
Chrissy Waddle talks a fair amount of sense. Mainly radio based though.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
29-06-2016, 08:29 AM
Bald Eagle 96 has gone very quiet since the Iceland result. Has he been offered a job with the BBC panel of pundits? Still doing your smug c*nt act eh?

PoshPalace
29-06-2016, 08:50 AM
Since winning the World Cup in 1966, England have won 6 games at the knock-out stage of Tournament finals. Six. I'd say the nation's optimism is entirely misplaced.

ebyeeckeagle
29-06-2016, 08:55 AM

Digging out someone for giving an opinion? Well done you.

99.9% of even weary jaundiced England fans thought they would win.

Salad_Burnet
29-06-2016, 08:57 AM
Since winning the World Cup in 1966, England have won 6 games at the knock-out stage of Tournament finals. Six. I'd say the nation's optimism is entirely misplaced.

It's called supporting your team. Jesus Christ. Talk about the best being the enemy of the good. It's meant to be fun.

Why do you bother?

Vince Hilaire's Afro
29-06-2016, 09:26 AM
Digging out someone for giving an opinion? Well done you.

99.9% of even weary jaundiced England fans thought they would win.

I expected England to win, but was very wary (and not at all surprised) to see a shambolic performance by England and Iceland taking advantage.

evvo111
29-06-2016, 09:40 AM
I think a lot of the pundits arrogance has been based on being over optimistic as they saw England do really well in the qualifiers.

I thought England would win but I didn't think it would be easy. A lot of the less fancied sides remind me of Palace from when TP was manager. Very hard to break down and good on the break. As fans of Palace we all know how effective that can be and shouldn't be surprised that teams have struggled against the tactic. Saying that I have no idea how the long throw wasn't defended, surely the England defensive coaches must have been aware of this tactic and must have defended against it before.

Chris B
29-06-2016, 12:27 PM
Still doing your smug c*nt act eh?

Is it really necessary to be so rude and unpleasant to a fellow Palace fan? Why do you have to be so nasty?

Chris B
29-06-2016, 12:57 PM
Nah, I am still here.

If we were to play them again today I would say the same thing. We were easily good enough to beat them but on the day we played some of the worst football I have ever seen and they played very well.

Fair play to them but even though I nailed my colours to the mast at the time I did not see many (if any) come on this thread and say we would not win!

Well done for returning. Most people expected England to win but were not quite as dismissive of Iceland's chances. Nice to have your comments without the rude abuse of others on here!

Les Butler
29-06-2016, 02:11 PM
Just had to requote this and ask why?:D

Its always nice to see the requotes after the fact ;)

I still think we are the better team but on this day we put in the worst gutless spineless performance you could ever imagine plus Iceland played bloody well on top take nothing away from them.

This shit does happen club and country.

I am an England supporter thick or thin not one that comes along for ride then fecks off after a bad result saying how much I have lost interest until the next tournament.

Some have made it a hobby on here telling us how much they do not care after the fact.

Looking forward to a new manager hopefully one that makes England confident enough to win rather than scared to lose .

waddoneagle
29-06-2016, 02:52 PM
Its Obvious Now :D

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13521999_1029726327137808_7298554571492343365_n.jp g?oh=970399ba3dd4b32f2f863dad5f4f6cbb&oe=57F1F674

PoshPalace
29-06-2016, 04:59 PM
It's called supporting your team. Jesus Christ. Talk about the best being the enemy of the good. It's meant to be fun.

Why do you bother?

Easy tiger! I was just pointing out that with a record like that, the expectations of always breezing past teams in to at least the quarter or semi-finals of tournaments seems unrealistic. Back to the original point, the arrogance of the pundits is without foundation.

Have a nice evening.

orp pisshead1
30-06-2016, 01:47 AM
The real problem is the expectation comes from being arguably the biggest footballing nation in the world not arrogance just fact. The team doesn't have the talent or manager to back that up especially given that apparently the premiership is be all n end all FK national pride in the team:veryangry:. We could have a decent national side and Premiership if some thought was put into it.

Jack Regan
30-06-2016, 06:32 PM
I know Ryan Giggs is after a new job, but is that new job really punditry?

He's making Ian Wright sound intelligent on ITV right now.

RazorsEdge
30-06-2016, 07:24 PM

Lot of totties on telly, Giggs (le :jerkit: ) will do well there

Jack Regan
30-06-2016, 08:03 PM
Lot of totties on telly, Giggs (le :jerkit: ) will do well there

He's only been given the job because of who he is, his analysis is shit and littered with long pauses where you don't know if he's finished the point or not.

If you've learned that much from Ferguson, at least put your arse on the line like Gary Neville did instead of chosing the soft option of the studio, you squeeky voiced, greasy, wife-cheating bastard.

ebyeeckeagle
30-06-2016, 08:48 PM

To be fair, he did give the unique view of a pro, by revealing that Ronaldo and Lewandowski could be the players to make a difference. I suppose that's why we have these guys, for that type of insight.

Jack Regan
30-06-2016, 09:27 PM
To be fair, he did give the unique view of a pro, by revealing that Ronaldo and Lewandowski could be the players to make a difference. I suppose that's why we have these guys, for that type of insight.

Yes, that'll be it.

Apparently he's in line for the Forest job. I hope he gets it, and gets sacked by Christmas.

RazorsEdge
30-06-2016, 09:31 PM
Yes, that'll be it.

Apparently he's in line for the Forest job. I hope he gets it, and gets sacked by Christmas.

Christmas??????? NOOOOOO, by end of August he will be sacked :)

RazorsEdge
30-06-2016, 09:32 PM

Wow! now that is a thought no one could have guessed :)

Chris B
03-07-2016, 03:12 AM
Still doing your smug c*nt act eh?

Would have been nice had you been man enough to apologise for your childish insult a few days ago.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
03-07-2016, 08:42 PM
Would have been nice had you been man enough to apologise for your childish insult a few days ago. You are a shit troll... F-ck off!

Chris B
03-07-2016, 09:06 PM
You are a shit troll... F-ck off!

Learned another new swear word at school today did we? Well done you!