PDA

View Full Version : Why did so much of the press cream each other over Rooney in midfield?

Oisin
28-06-2016, 07:27 AM
He was average at best. In the Cup final his best work was when he was pushed forward. Against a poor Russia who didn't press he looked like he could play a decent pass but didn't know his place in defence. Which was basically the pattern from them on. Great with time on the ball, didn't know what to do if pressured, never really comfortable in a defensive pattern. And that caused panic to spread.

Should go now as well. He isn't in the top four strikers anymore

Halftime Gold
28-06-2016, 07:56 AM
He definitely has ability in that role but compared to Man Utd I think the two differences are firstly that our finishing was woeful so we didn't see much return on what he created in the first couple of games and secondly that there was simply nobody doing anything that creative ahead of him in the last two. If your dealing with a situation where everyone infront of you is static then its not exactly easy to pick out telling passes.

He shouldn't be undroppable but at this stage I think he's still good enough to be picked, whoever comes in though should definitely be shot of Sterling, Henderson, Milner and Hart, maybe Lallana and Cahill as well. I don't have any great hope for it but really this failure should be the final death of the big clubs monopoly on England spots. We seem like less a team run for the country and more one run for these players/clubs benefit.

Roadblock
28-06-2016, 01:36 PM
It's because they knew he was captain and undroppable but was no longer good enough as a goalscorer vs. Kane/Vardy/Sturridge.

There has always been talk, rightly or wrongly, of Rooney being able to play anywhere on the pitch because of his workrate, and that midfield will be his regular position towards the end of his career. Add this to his good performances against a woefully out of form Everton in the FA Cup semi, and a deep non-pressing Palace midfield in the FA Cup Final his England midfield position was cemented.

maestro
28-06-2016, 01:41 PM
I thought he did ok to be honest, one of the better performers

Walker was a liability all Tournament but people loved him because he likes getting forward

Hart was a joke

Ali ran around like a bull in a china shop but achieved very little.

Sterling was utterly terrible

Kane looked absolutely cream crackered

Lallana couldnt shoot to save his life

But yes lets pick on Rooney

CPFC_DAVE77
28-06-2016, 02:06 PM

Walker was a liability all Tournament but people loved him because he likes getting forward

Hart was a joke

Over the course of the tournament, I totally agree.

But last night, around 55 mins, he seemed to carry the weight of the country on his shoulders.

He looked heavy, one dimensional and beaten.

Halftime Gold
28-06-2016, 07:36 PM
Over the course of the tournament, I totally agree.

But last night, around 55 mins, he seemed to carry the weight of the country on his shoulders.

He looked heavy, one dimensional and beaten.

Really England as a whole did and Kane especially just seemed to totally go to pieces in the second half to the degree I actually felt rather sorry for him, looked like he knew he didn't really deserve to be out there in that form.

Lombardo's hair
28-06-2016, 09:11 PM
Can't understand why anyone thought roo played well at all. He was a part of an England team that played 3 lesser teams who sat back and let us have possession. What did he do that any half decent player couldn't? Clever through balls? No. Drove England forward . No He sprayed balls out wide to full backs. A Then in the 3rd game he and the rest of the midfield ae restedour performs disappointing he comes on and the performance improves a bit. But the performance was poor because the midfield was probably a lot weaker without dier and Alli. If you want to see if a player is any good you don't put him in a b side against an a team. You see how he fits in to the a team. England played better without him before the finals. Beat Germany without him. What happened to that team?

Joe85
29-06-2016, 02:59 AM
Can't understand why anyone thought roo played well at all. He was a part of an England team that played 3 lesser teams who sat back and let us have possession. What did he do that any half decent player couldn't? Clever through balls? No. Drove England forward . No He sprayed balls out wide to full backs. A Then in the 3rd game he and the rest of the midfield ae restedour performs disappointing he comes on and the performance improves a bit. But the performance was poor because the midfield was probably a lot weaker without dier and Alli. If you want to see if a player is any good you don't put him in a b side against an a team. You see how he fits in to the a team. England played better without him before the finals. Beat Germany without him.

What happened to that team?

Hodgeson.

Oisin
29-06-2016, 04:43 AM
He may have passing and work rate but his positioning, in particular his defensive positioning was a disaster. That's partly why England found it hard to find a free man in midfield, in particular once Dier went off, and why the defensive shape was constantly a mess. Having the skills set to play there doesn't mean he knows to do when he gets there

philsick
29-06-2016, 07:13 AM
It was a joke. With about a month left of the season rooney decides he's a central midfielder because he knows kane n co will get in front of him and roy puts him in the national sides midfield rather than seasoned midfielders like drinkwater who were in form. He looked alright spraying long floated balls to the wing , but it was a big part of the problem.It was ridiculous trying to play a system to suit it as well, especially changing it just before the tournament started to shoehorn him in

Also he is not a leader and should never have been made captain

philsick
29-06-2016, 07:26 AM
The long floated diagonals was like a really really poor mans pirlo without all the good stuff.

Halftime Gold
29-06-2016, 10:33 AM
He may have passing and work rate but his positioning, in particular his defensive positioning was a disaster. That's partly why England found it hard to find a free man in midfield, in particular once Dier went off, and why the defensive shape was constantly a mess. Having the skills set to play there doesn't mean he knows to do when he gets there

He's definitely not a great deeper defensive midfielder I'd agree, the same way you wouldn't expect someone like Scholes to have played that position.

Due to his name he obviously gets a good deal of hype in any position but the idea that the press were singing his praises before euro's in that position seems rather wide of the mark. I remember the BBC especially repeatedly suggesting that he should be dropped.

Honestly for me I think this highlights a problem England have often had, when theres criticism to throw around its much easier to direct it at Man Utd players due to how much there disliked. You look back to euro 2004 for example and who got the most criticism? was it Gerrard for giving the game away vs France? no it was Scholes who was somehow to blame for hoof balls flying over his head and ended up retiring soon after as a result. The same with Carrick never being given a decent run for England dispite having a period as by far the best english central midfield option.

Oisin
29-06-2016, 10:39 AM
I think Rooney should have gone but he should only have played in his natural position or off the bench. I'm not criticising the player, of course he wants to play, I'm criticising the manager. He has just put out a team where no one seemed to know what they are doing. Rooney was a mistake, Roy's mistake.

Give him half a season in that role and he might learn it and excel.

Ash
29-06-2016, 11:01 AM
The long floated diagonals was like a really really poor mans pirlo without all the good stuff.

Or indeed without finding the intended target, which kind of sets him apart from Pirlo a tad.

Halftime Gold
29-06-2016, 12:07 PM
The big issue though was Pirlo actually had someone to aim at, besides Vardy at points there was really nobody making themselves much space in the last couple of games. You can't play telling balls if everyone ahead of you is stationary with there back to goal.

New LP
29-06-2016, 04:19 PM
It was a joke. With about a month left of the season rooney decides he's a central midfielder because he knows kane n co will get in front of him and roy puts him in the national sides midfield rather than seasoned midfielders like drinkwater who were in form. He looked alright spraying long floated balls to the wing , but it was a big part of the problem.It was ridiculous trying to play a system to suit it as well, especially changing it just before the tournament started to shoehorn him in

Also he is not a leader and should never have been made captain

Spot on. We got that great result in Berlin, and then didn't play that way again with Ali in his club position with Harry Kane in front of him. Instead everything revolved around playing Rooney in his new midfield role. It's not that Rooney was that bad, just that without him we could have been so much better.

Also Rooney's decision to drop deeper was as a result of Rashford and Martial getting selected ahead of him in the forward positions for his club as well as the same happening with England.

Kylie_Tracey
29-06-2016, 05:18 PM

Hart was a joke

Rooney looked like a pub player in the Iceland game , Lothar Matteaus is right about him calling it a day at International level he wont get any better, I would have called time on his career for England after the last WC, to think that dick Peter Scmichael in a live interview said he could be the new "Scholes" FFS.

Oisin
29-06-2016, 05:41 PM
Schmeichel said on his twitter yesterday "Squad was picked on reputation and not form. He kept playing the wrong team, HOPING name-players finds some form"

Lombardo's hair
29-06-2016, 08:45 PM
Rooney looked like a pub player in the Iceland game , Lothar Matteaus is right about him calling it a day at International level he wont get any better, I would have called time on his career for England after the last WC, to think that dick Peter Scmichael in a live interview said he could be the new "Scholes" FFS.

New Scholes as in retires from international football? Let's hope. But as soon as he scores a few goals next season the media will call for him to come back

Halftime Gold
30-06-2016, 06:10 AM
Schmeichel said on his twitter yesterday "Squad was picked on reputation and not form. He kept playing the wrong team, HOPING name-players finds some form"

This has always been an issue with England and Rooney in 2006 and 2010 was definitely an example of that but this time I don't think he was the issue and honestly I think most comments here are an after effect of the cup final.

The problem was IMHO a combination of Hodgson repeatedly going with Kane/Sterling even though they were so obviously in terrible form plus having a lot of other players in the squad who's form, fitness or overall quality were seriously questionable, add in a bit of pro Liverpool bias to keep the media happy as well.

switchboard
30-06-2016, 07:34 AM
He is a Hollywood captain, he has played under some great captains at United but he is proof you can't just imitate the qualities of those captains, it is cringey watching him.

Palace_Akie
30-06-2016, 09:29 AM
Its the same as ever with England. Shoehorning players into the lineup out of position just because they "have to start".

Hasn't worked for the past 20 years but lets keep doing it.

Les Butler
01-07-2016, 01:57 PM
Does make you wonder if the FA pick the manager so they can pick the posterboy team...

You hear all about picking the players and loyalty for the players that got you there from Roy but if they are injured out of form they simply should not be there.

Changing the manager is good but if the FA still controls the manager and the team nothing changes.

Halftime Gold
01-07-2016, 08:55 PM
Does make you wonder if the FA pick the manager so they can pick the posterboy team...

You hear all about picking the players and loyalty for the players that got you there from Roy but if they are injured out of form they simply should not be there.

Changing the manager is good but if the FA still controls the manager and the team nothing changes.

I wouldn't be surprised if some influence exists from the FA/Sponsors making sure big names get played regardless although another big factor is that we stick with weak managers.