PDA

View Full Version : Most crucial game in palace history?

Will2024
07-07-2016, 04:48 AM
I started following palace a few years ago after i became interested in football. They are my favorite team, but my knowledge of their history is weak. Could you name some of the most meaningful or exciting palace games over the last few years. I would like to watch some of these games so I have a better understanding of their history, thanks!

EagleSE24
07-07-2016, 05:01 AM
Sheffield Wednesday vs Palace 2010. Loser gets relegated to League One.

Stockport vs Palace 2001. Palace need to win and hope results go their way to avoid relegation.

Brighton vs Palace playoff semi final second leg 2013. Winner goes to Wembley for the playoff final.

Will2024
07-07-2016, 05:06 AM
Sheffield Wednesday vs Palace 2010. Loser gets relegated to League One.

Stockport vs Palace 2001. Palace need to win and hope results go their way to avoid relegation.

Brighton vs Palace playoff semi final second leg 2013. Winner goes to Wembley for the playoff final.

Thank You!! I have seen highlights of zaha's goals in that game against Brighton and they gave me chills. Was the 2010 season the season the one where we went bankrupt? I will look into these games!:p

daverambo2
07-07-2016, 05:36 AM
The Wednesday match was the biggest. Had we lost that we may not have had a club to support anymore.

Palace Kebab
07-07-2016, 05:49 AM
Going back a bit further, losing 9 v 0 to Liverpool in the early part of the 1989 /1990 season and then beating them 4 v 3 after extra time in the FA cup semi final in April is part of the Palace psyche.

Mat ov CPFC
07-07-2016, 05:57 AM
Going back a bit further, losing 9 v 0 to Liverpool in the early part of the 1989 /1990 season and then beating them 4 v 3 after extra time in the FA cup semi final in April is part of the Palace psyche.

One of the greatest, no doubt, but most crucial? Not so sure.

I tend to go with the Sheffield Wednesday match. That one mattered in a way that very few others did not. I can see why people might go for Stockport away but I also see that as being one of our most shameful given the disgraceful attitude of the players in the run up to why we had to get the win we did (and lets be honest here, we got more than the rub of the green that day. Always felt a pang of guilt about Huddersfield's fate ever since).

Never really celebrated winning at Stockport. It should never have come to that and that seems to always be glossed over.

Ardent Eagle Forever
07-07-2016, 06:51 AM
Go even further back to 1979.

Palace were in the old second division, currently the Championship.

The season had finished but for one final game.

The Brighton players were on a plane going off together on their summer break.

It was a Friday night.

Palace's final game was at home to Burnley.

We were third in the league. In those days it was two up two down IIRC.

Lose and we would not be promoted. Draw and we would be promoted in second place. Win and we would go up as Champions of the dicision to the First Division pipping our arch rivals Brighton at the death.

Our biggest crowd ever, about 51,801 officially witnessed Palace win two nil.

We went up as champions and folklore says that the pilot of the plane that Brighton were travelling on was a Palace supporter who passed on the good news to the Brighton players.

That's Palace. That was key to our identity that game. Was I there, no unfortunately, I was over the other side of the world having gone to Australia with the Army about 3 days before.

Two seasons before that was pretty special. It was our very last season in the third division. 1977. We were close to the top at the end of the season. We had to play Wrexham twice in a week or so to stand any chance of going up. We did that, 2-1 and 4-2 IIRC. We then needed Wrexham to lose their last game that season, which they did obligingly.

So in the space of three seasons we were promoted from third to first and have remained in the top two flights ever since.

Their is footage of the Burnley game on you tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoHERgb4BOk

Table for that season

http://stats.football.co.uk/league_tables/1978_1979/second_division/index.shtml

Table for 1977 season

http://www.englishfootballstats.co.uk/Level%203%20Tables/1976-77.htm

WLYWLYAWYPWF
07-07-2016, 06:55 AM
Swindon and Blackburn in the play offs of 89. Without those two victories we would not have had Villa Park or the FA Cup final in 90.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
07-07-2016, 07:12 AM
Table for that season

http://stats.football.co.uk/league_tables/1978_1979/second_division/index.shtml

Why is the 15th placed team missing in that table?

muswell eagle
07-07-2016, 07:27 AM
v Burnley May 1983.

22000 turned up although attendances during the rest of the season had been around 5000. We had to win to stay up after beating Burnley four years previously to go up.

ExiledStirling
07-07-2016, 07:36 AM
I was at Hillsborough and as tense and nervous as it was to watch along with its greater significance, no game has left me more emotionally drained than watching the Stockport game on TV. I was totally shattered by the end so that when we scored, I had little energy left to celebrate properly. Maybe it was purely down to the difference of watching a game live and watching it on TV.

ian king
07-07-2016, 09:46 AM
v Burnley May 1983.

22000 turned up although attendances during the rest of the season had been around 5000. We had to win to stay up after beating Burnley four years previously to go up.

This time the result mattered for Burnley as well as they were relegated by this outcome. As in 1979 it was a postponed game rearranged as the last game of the season.

El Aguila
07-07-2016, 09:55 AM
It was the Wednesday game and the week following. I watched the game on a dodgy stream and was too nervous to speak. I followed events at Lloyds on here, likewise, too nervous to speak. And I've been Palace since 1973.

pots1970
07-07-2016, 10:08 AM
Watching the Wednesday match was akin to a panic attack for me, my adrenal gland was on overload. When the whistle went I just cried. No game has come close for me personally.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
07-07-2016, 10:46 AM
This time the result mattered for Burnley as well as they were relegated by this outcome. As in 1979 it was a postponed game rearranged as the last game of the season.

A late Ian Edwards goal saving the day for Palace. I was stood on the Holmesdale as an 11 year old. There was a fair bit of aggro that night too.

Duffle Coat
07-07-2016, 11:00 AM
I suggest you watch the 5 0 demolition of Man Utd in 1972. It is not crucial in a survival sense but it thrust Palace into the limelight in a way they probably had never been. Older posters forgive if I am mis-representing the facts.

Duffle Coat
07-07-2016, 11:01 AM
v Burnley May 1983.

That is a very good call:p

RCUK
07-07-2016, 11:06 AM
SW game without doubt.

Lose that.... no 2010 bailout ... no club.

That game kicked off the current premiership era and Palace making 30m bids for players.

Ardent Eagle Forever
07-07-2016, 11:54 AM

Yeah I noticed that haven't got a clue. Any stattos can enlighten us?

Ardent Eagle Forever
07-07-2016, 11:55 AM
v Burnley May 1983.

Was at that one. Wasn't it a Welsh man who kept us up that night?

Del Fenner
07-07-2016, 11:59 AM

Something to do with the way that website tracks teams?

15th was Wrexham, who subsequently fell out of the Football league.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/wrexham/1978-1979

Ardent Eagle Forever
07-07-2016, 12:00 PM
I'll give you second leg play off final v Blackburn. That kicked off our most successful time in the top flight ever

Twilko
07-07-2016, 01:16 PM
Yeah I noticed that haven't got a clue. Any stattos can enlighten us?

It was Wrexham who also qualified for the UEFA cup winners' cup that season by being runners up in the Welsh Cup. They qualified because Shrewsbury won it and aren't Welsh.

I may have checked Wikipedia a little for this post...

Edit: Del Fenner beat me to it.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
07-07-2016, 01:34 PM
Was at that one. Wasn't it a Welsh man who kept us up that night?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Edwards_(footballer,_born_1955)

SJ'sLoveMonkey
07-07-2016, 02:00 PM
Stockport

SEEPEEEFFSEE
07-07-2016, 02:15 PM
Sheff Weds for me everytime, I remember thinking I was actually going to be sick before kick off, stomach was churning a goodun. I also remember a pre match conversation with the old man where we both said it would pretty much finish Palace off if we lost.

danpalace07
07-07-2016, 04:39 PM
Hillsborough 2010 by far. Wish I could watch the whole thing again.

burgess hill 84
07-07-2016, 06:27 PM

I don't, after they equalised with 5 minutes to go I couldn't take any more,and went to hide in the toilet till the final whistle. To my surprise the toilet was full of other people who couldn't handle it either. If we lost that day I'm pretty sure we would have gone bust and we wouldn't be here now. That's how important that game was.

Will2024
07-07-2016, 06:31 PM

I am sure there is some stream online that has it!

Thanks to everyone for these recommendations, ill try to watch all of them!!!

Worksop Palace
07-07-2016, 06:34 PM
Hillsborough. No contest.

Had a migraine for 2 days afterwards

Dorking .Eagle
07-07-2016, 06:36 PM
Sheffield Wednesday 2010 no doubt.

Reckon Blackburn play-offs 1989 was pivotal too, would Coppell, Wright and Bright (and all the others) all tried again the following season, or would the best players gone separate ways out of individual ambition?

Billyd
07-07-2016, 06:38 PM
Sheff Wed in terms of importance to the club. Brighton away play off in terms of fans and where we are today. Never felt so nervous and wanted to win a game so much.

the drexciyan
07-07-2016, 06:39 PM
Sheff Wed. 2010.

An epic day when the consequences of losing were just too much to contemplate.

Kevlon
07-07-2016, 06:44 PM
Hillsborough. Lose that and not only were we relegated but CPFC2010 probably wouldn't have bought the club.

Worksop Palace
07-07-2016, 06:44 PM
Sheff Wed. 2010.

An epic day when the consequences of losing were just too much to contemplate.

We nearly went pop after winning it. What would have happened if we had lost doesn't bare thinking about.

Will2024
07-07-2016, 06:59 PM

I am sure there is some stream online that has it!

Thanks to everyone for these recommendations, ill try to watch all of them!!!

gold76
07-07-2016, 07:08 PM
I'm sure Steve B, has stated that they wouldn't have bought the club if we had got relegated that day.

Who knows where we would have been now, A Phoenix club in the Ryman league?

My overiding memory was, Stern John, through on goal, being greedy and fluffing a sitter.

Wednesday winning a corner in the 95 minute, me thinking they would score to send us down, ref blowing up- no time to take it thank fook.

Piggy Wednesday fans going ape, Clint Hill waging war :)

Ferris Bueller
07-07-2016, 07:33 PM
All about Wednesday. During the Wednesday game, if you told me that within 6 years, we'd have spent the last 3 years in the Premier League without a relegation fight to speak of, 3 trips to Wembley including the FA Cup Final and be looking to buy strikers for 30 million quid I would have kicked you square in the balls

WLYWLYAWYPWF
07-07-2016, 07:37 PM
All about Wednesday. During the Wednesday game, if you told me that within 6 years, we'd have spent the last 3 years in the Premier League without a relegation fight to speak of, 3 trips to Wembley including the FA Cup Final and be looking to buy strikers for 30 million quid I would have kicked you square in the balls

Or within 15 years of Stockport. :supergrin:

Oli28
08-07-2016, 10:52 PM
Have 2010 ever commented on whether or not they'd have bought the club had we lost at Hillsborough?

ian king
09-07-2016, 09:00 PM
I agree that Sheffield Wednesday 2010 the most crucial in my time. However at the end of our first ever season in Division One (1969-70) we defeated Man City 1-0 at SP in our final game of the season. We only stayed up because Wednesday failed to overtake us in their final two games - last of which they were home to Man City so Wednesday have twice been relegated instead of Palace.

Percy Dalton
11-07-2016, 10:44 PM
It has a!ways got to be the next game.

GeeTee
12-07-2016, 11:58 AM
If you are looking for background to our recent history (video based), then this thread is superb - http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=261986

Season reviews from 1990/91 season to 1997/98, in particular, cover the huge range of emotions and dramas we have suffered/enjoyed in our history.

will hung
15-07-2016, 08:05 AM
The 4-2 win at Wrexham, 1977

DARZET EAGLE
15-07-2016, 09:28 AM
The 4-2 win at Wrexham, 1977

Good call, I remember it well driving back from holiday with the family. Updates kept coming in. Wrexham were in line for Promotion, and we were threw away a two goal lead for Wrexham to level. Suddenly late goals for us sealed Promotion into Division 2. Harkouk in the last minute, and following a pass from Harkouk, Jeff Bourne scored in injury time.:lux::lux::lux:

Pub Idol
15-07-2016, 04:04 PM
Sheffield Wednesday of course.

But putting that to one side- The Cup Finals were the most crucial in big scheme off 111 years of history. If only :(

Worksop Palace
16-07-2016, 06:10 AM
Have 2010 ever commented on whether or not they'd have bought the club had we lost at Hillsborough?

See post #37

FourtyTwo
16-07-2016, 06:53 AM
Wednesday winning a corner in the 95 minute, me thinking they would score to send us down, ref blowing up- no time to take it thank fook.

We all know that they would have scored had they taken the corner - thank fook the ref blew!

Worksop Palace
16-07-2016, 06:59 AM
We all know that they would have scored had they taken the corner - thank fook the ref blew!

Yep. I said as much to my mate at the time. 'They'll score here'

Then pandemonium

will hung
16-07-2016, 08:53 AM
Re Wrexham, those that were there will never forget it, almost as good as the 4-3 semi

StevePlus
16-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Good call, I remember it well driving back from holiday with the family. Updates kept coming in. Wrexham were in line for Promotion, and we were threw away a two goal lead for Wrexham to level. Suddenly late goals for us sealed Promotion into Division 2. Harkouk in the last minute, and following a pass from Harkouk, Jeff Bourne scored in injury time.:lux::lux::lux:

But it didn't actually seal promotion. Wrexham played Mansfield at home in their final game, and would still have gone up if they had won then. Fortunately they threw everyone up front in the last minute of the game (then still 0-0), and Mansfield broke away and scored.

And if we had only won the game 3-2, rather than 4-2, Wrexham would only have needed a draw in their final game, so would probably have held on 0-0 against Mansfield.

Chocky
22-07-2016, 05:58 PM

Those last 10 minutes were the worst horrible moments watching Palace for me over the decades. It was awful and yes when they got awarded that corner at the end I thought that's it we're done. But the ref blew and I didn't know they could do that, I thought the ball had to be in play for the final whistle, gladly I was wrong! Probably some of the reason the Weds fans went mental.

BERT'S HEAD
22-07-2016, 06:03 PM
Those last 10 minutes were the worst horrible moments watching Palace for me over the decades. It was awful and yes when they got awarded that corner at the end I thought that's it we're done. But the ref blew and I didn't know they could do that, I thought the ball had to be in play for the final whistle, gladly I was wrong! Probably some of the reason the Weds fans went mental.

The walk back to the city centre past blockades of police with dogs and unhappy to say the least Wed fans will stay long in the memory. God that first pint went down well.

smoll
25-07-2016, 08:15 PM
None of what has happened since would have been possible without the point at Hillsborough in May 2010. Out of all the games mentioned this was the only one that I didn't attend in person. The reason being is that I was recovering from brain surgery having had a brain hemorrhage 2 months earlier in March. All of my pals were there of course but kneeling on the floor in front of the tv watching the last few dramatic minutes whilst holding my head feeling it get hotter and hotter was very scary. What's happened to us over the last 6 years as a club since I got ill has been even more special for me seeing as I nearly wasn't around to see it all

PalaceOfVariety
25-07-2016, 08:41 PM
I had a radio with me at Stokport - we just about did he job that we had to but still had to wait for confirmation on the radio. Every ear close by was trying to get a piece of my radio! When it was confirmed we went mental for a third time!!

westsussexeagle
25-07-2016, 09:42 PM
I had a radio with me at Stokport - we just about did he job that we had to but still had to wait for confirmation on the radio. Every ear close by was trying to get a piece of my radio! When it was confirmed we went mental for a third time!!

Watched it with my sons in a pub in Brighton of all places. There was a group of lads there decked out in their Tesco shirts supporting Stockport. Had pretty much given up especially when we gave away a clear foul on the edge of our box. But no! Ref signals play on and the rest as they say is history. We went crazy at the final whistle, and even crazier when the Sheffield Wednesday result came in - seem to remember the TV going over to that game near the end and I though - f*ck they must have scored - but they hit the post. Brighton lads were okay actually. Quite chatty despite the result.