PDA

View Full Version : The Open

Golf Boy
14-07-2016, 06:04 AM
Good start for Monty - it looked like his gap wedge was a big bertha.

What is this bollox on Sky with the virtual images of the players in the studio. FFS.

Worksop Palace
14-07-2016, 06:23 AM
Love The Open. Working until 3pm then off in to town with a client for a few beers to watch it. Off tomorrow, playing am, pub with sky pm. Happy days

Chester
14-07-2016, 07:13 AM
One of the best things about The Open is the coverage. Seemingly everyone from players to caddies to oncourse commentators to stewards adore this tournament no matter where they are from in the world and the excitement comes through.

Plus Monty is playing so isnt in the booth.

I still wear my waterproof from when i went to watch the last Open there. If you are going to buy a waterproof buy it in Scotland, they know what they are doing and it will never die.

cpfc4evandeva
14-07-2016, 08:01 AM
Golf Boy...

Would you recommend hitting a cut off the tee like Monty?

Golf Boy
14-07-2016, 10:39 AM
Golf Boy...

If your cut is like Monty's, then yes.

Chester
14-07-2016, 10:52 AM
Golf Boy...

GB is right. if thats a cut then we as golfers have no hope.

Monty managed to be the best Euro golfer for a decade without being able to hit the ball right to left to say he cuts it off the tee is laughable.

cpfc4evandeva
14-07-2016, 11:05 AM
Fade/Cut. ******* hell :S:

cpfc4evandeva
14-07-2016, 11:06 AM
If your cut is like Monty's, then yes.

I just wonder why a draw is so desirable. It appears to me that it's harder to control and a wayward shot puts you in so much trouble. Is the extra length from a draw worth the potential bother?

Golf Boy
15-07-2016, 06:00 PM
I just wonder why a draw is so desirable. It appears to me that it's harder to control and a wayward shot puts you in so much trouble. Is the extra length from a draw worth the potential bother?

Most amateurs do not fade the ball. They slice it or pull it. The bad shot for a pro is a hook or a block ( when it draws too much or not at all ). We want to be swinging more like the pros so a draw tendency is where we want to get to - it just means we are swinging better.

pardew's shorts
16-07-2016, 10:48 AM
Viewing figures, as with Test cricket, are unsurprisingly poor.

It's all well and good taking the coin, but participation numbers are declining in both sports, and will continue to do so, and kids will increasingly give less and less of a shit.

Cricket and golf are nowhere near as popular in the public imagination as they once were, and that trend will only continue.

Baffled Bob 2
16-07-2016, 10:53 AM

It's all well and good taking the coin, but participation numbers are declining in both sports, and will continue to do so, and kids will increasingly give less and less of a shit.

Cricket and golf are nowhere near as popular in the public imagination as they once were, and that trend will only continue.

Yep. We're on day 3 and this thread still on page 1.

Chester
16-07-2016, 10:56 AM
. We want to be swinging more like the pros so a draw tendency is where we want to get to - it just means we are swinging better.

This is so wrong and you cant seriously believe this.

cpfc4evandeva
16-07-2016, 11:36 AM
Most amateurs do not fade the ball. They slice it or pull it. The bad shot for a pro is a hook or a block ( when it draws too much or not at all ). We want to be swinging more like the pros so a draw tendency is where we want to get to - it just means we are swinging better.

I do get what you're saying but isn't a slice actually less damaging on the course than a hook?

Golf Boy
16-07-2016, 02:17 PM
This is so wrong and you cant seriously believe this.

Let's have a discussion - you start by telling me why i'm wrong.

Golf Boy
16-07-2016, 02:29 PM
Coverage not any better than BBC. Garcia drives the 3rd, but they show Stensen walking to the tee instead.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
16-07-2016, 02:41 PM
Coverage not any better than BBC. Garcia drives the 3rd, but they show Stensen walking to the tee instead.

The analysis is awesome. I also like Sarah Stirk.

Golf Boy
16-07-2016, 03:01 PM
The analysis is awesome. I also like Sarah Stirk.

Apart from the holograms of the players - it's not the Superbowl.

cpfc4evandeva
16-07-2016, 03:21 PM
Yeah the hologram player thing is so odd.

Bintang
16-07-2016, 05:49 PM
I think the quality of the commentary is driving people away.
Some of the comments make you want to press the mute button.
Watching on Fox Sports, so not sure where the original feed is from. I recognise Laura Davies, the rest seem to be a bunch of old farts whittering on about the past.

foetus eagle
16-07-2016, 08:11 PM
I enjoyed watching the Beefsquatch today.
McIlroy might have done better if he hadn't worn a Fremen stillsuit.

Fatboy
17-07-2016, 08:09 AM
In competitions - Can players decide each day what clubs they can have in their bag (as long they they have the limited amount allowed)? Or do they pick at the start and that is it ?

Can McIlroy replace his broken club - despite it being damaged by him ? (IE not accidental damage)

Chester
17-07-2016, 08:13 AM
Let's have a discussion - you start by telling me why i'm wrong.

"we want to be swinging it more like the pros" - Im not sure what this even means. If you look at the top 10 of the leaderboard im pretty sure every one of them swings it differently. Just taking Stenson and Mickleson they both have lovely swings in their own right but couldnt be more different. One of the great thing about golf is that there is no one way to swing it and trying to copy someone v rarely works out well.

"It just means we are swinging better" - I dont understand that one either. Dustin Johnson hits a huge fade and lots of pros now have it as their stock shot so no idea why hitting a draw means you are swinging better.

Not trying to be argumentative btw, genuinely interested as you teach and you likely have access to more data and evidence than me :)

Chester
17-07-2016, 08:15 AM
In competitions - Can players decide each day what clubs they can have in their bag (as long they they have the limited amount allowed)? Or do they pick at the start and that is it ?

Can McIlroy replace his broken club - despite it being damaged by him ? (IE not accidental damage)

They can change clubs daily.

He can replace the broken wood, he would not have been allowed to do so during yesterdays round. If a club is altered during play then it cannot be used for that round any more.

Chester
17-07-2016, 08:16 AM
Butch Harmon is a great commentator. Listening to him commentate on one of his pupils who was spraying it round like a Red Arrows display was v amusing.

Fatboy
17-07-2016, 08:23 AM
They can change clubs daily.

He can replace the broken wood, he would not have been allowed to do so during yesterdays round. If a club is altered during play then it cannot be used for that round any more.

Thanks

gcwhite
17-07-2016, 08:48 AM
I think the quality of the commentary is driving people away.
Some of the comments make you want to press the mute button.
Watching on Fox Sports, so not sure where the original feed is from. I recognise Laura Davies, the rest seem to be a bunch of old farts whittering on about the past.

This why I used to hate BBC golf coverage. Allis rambling on about the old days with seemingly little grasp of modern golf while Ken Brown rolls footballs on the green to show us how quick they are. Sky is an improvement but golf on TV can be really tedious. I'm a keen golfer and find it boring to watch.

Golf is definitely on the slide. In the boom times lots of new courses were built but there don't seem to be enough golfers to go round now. At my club we are always trying to entice new members with cut price deals but never fill the vacancies.

There is no doubt in my mind that Tiger was partly responsible for the golf boom and we could do with him back. Golf on TV was always compulsive viewing when Tiger was playing. Now it's a bit meh.

adrenalin john
17-07-2016, 09:04 AM
The R&A have made a massive error, a massive error putting The Open on Sky.

You don't grow the game by putting your flagship event behind a pay wall.

Classic IMG greed

art malice
17-07-2016, 09:19 AM
Big banner outside Shirley Park saying 'No more 961 joining fee'

About time but a sign they're in trouble.

3 Beers at HT
17-07-2016, 09:20 AM
A Sky subscription is not needed in order to watch the Open.

Likewise with Football, Cricket, both Rugby codes, American Football etc.

Participation in Golf has been declining for generations due to the abundance of other leisure activities and advances in technology which keeps people from Sport in general.

Pistol Knight
17-07-2016, 09:20 AM

Classic IMG greed

:p:p:p:p

Yep Sky has made me give up watching a few sports, not my loss

I also liked what Mcilroy had to say about the Olympics, better sports he wants to watch

WLYWLYAWYPWF
17-07-2016, 09:29 AM

It's 960 now.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
17-07-2016, 09:38 AM
Hopefully the extra revenue they get from Sky will be put towards developing the game.
As shit as it sounds could golf devise some kind of shorter game format outside of the majors to stir a bit of excitement? Golfs equivalent of 20/20. Some sort of match play knockout format could be quite exciting. I enjoy watching golf on TV but it's really not that exciting until you reach the business end.

cpfc4evandeva
17-07-2016, 10:11 AM
Whilst we're on the talk of membership... Clubs need to adapt. What I find interesting is the often talked about falling participation. Whilst I don't doubt that there are less people playing than 20 years ago, one of their measures is falling membership numbers.

But there's also a trend that people under the age of 30 don't care about being a member as much as the older generations. The internet is one reason for this alone in that it is now so easy to book tee-times online. This didn't exist even ten years back.

There's also the value for money aspect. If you can play in the afternoon, there aren't many public courses that will charge you more than 20 a go. Membership at these same places will be around 1000. That means having to play on average at least once a week to realistically make it work out even.

I accept you do get some other benefits but young people care less and less about snobby bollocks like a members only bar and car park. Golf needs to come out of the dark ages.

But yep, although I have Sky it is pretty shoddy that the equivelant of Wimbledon is only available to a few million instead of sixty million. It's clearly not going to help things.

Worksop Palace
17-07-2016, 10:22 AM

Classic IMG greed

I see where you're coming from but disagree slightly.

I would say that a very good % of those interested in golf wil have Sky.

BBC should be ashamed of themselves for letting it go though.

cpfc4evandeva
17-07-2016, 10:38 AM
That's the point though - The R&A surely want to attract those who aren't necessarily interested in the game?

Big Blue Eagle
17-07-2016, 10:40 AM
I see where you're coming from but disagree slightly.

I would say that a very good % of those interested in golf wil have Sky.

BBC should be ashamed of themselves for letting it go though.

But the BBC has had no choice but to let go of things like the Open due to the financial constraints put on it by Whittingdale (gone thank god) and the rights arms race instigated by Sky and BT. Anyway - for Thursday Sky viewing peaked at under 300k while the BBC highlights topped 1.2m. Sky rather oddly claimed that over 5.5m people watched their coverage across all their devices - which is more than twice the number who have ever watched live before on any golf event I think!

The Sky coverage has been good, no question. Thankfully Monty made the Open and the cut which meant we heard a lot less of him than we may have. However, as my sometime playing partner GCW says above, much of the coverage has been of paint drying numbness. No one can realistically watch 13 hour straight of often pretty poor play.

The comment about people interested in golf having Sky is the heart of the matter, as it is with test cricket. I would drop Sky in a heartbeat if I could get those on other platforms, the Open and the odd GP is on Sky Sports 1 and more widely accessible, but most are not. Players like Faldo and McIroy talk about getting into golf watching it on TV, and do test cricketers. When we regained the Ashes on C4 the team were household names and national heroes, now people with a passing interest in cricket can barely name the England team. Smaller sports like golf & cricket need the FTA exposure to keep them in the non devoted fan consciousness - F1 is the same, dramatically falling TV audience in all PPV areas - now mostly the UK - leading to falling race attendances and falling interest and hence falling sponsorship.

Sky are paying 15m for the Open, and it has been interesting fast forwarding the adverts to see a very limited set of companies plus an awful lot of self promotion for Sky Q and Sky Cinema - looks like their ad space may have been hard to sell.

It is also worth remembering that the R&A and BBC wanted a compromise deal like the Masters with the BBC having limited live access to the weekend - which Sky vetoed, as they have done with FTA F1 from next year.

Final comment - the BBC now has internet highlights rights to a very wide range of events including Test cricket and the Open - I do wonder whether that is actually the smartest trick. Very few people sit and watch hours of coverage live (we record it and FFWD the ads in the evening) - and having near instant highlights access on line will be highly appealing going forward.

Big Blue Eagle
17-07-2016, 11:41 AM
Just felt a little bit of sick rise in the throat listening to serial divorcees and affair havers Faldo and Montgomerie talking about external factors upsetting McIroy this week after his comments ref the Olympics. Heaven forbid he actually says something interesting and relevant to the game rather than being a serial bitter Major loser like Montgomery or dullard who now thinks he's gods gift to wit and humour Sir Nick.

LLCOOLSTEVE
17-07-2016, 01:37 PM
Beeeeeeeeeeeef

Golf Boy
17-07-2016, 02:47 PM
Mickleson has been very lucky the last couple of days - every loose shot is either stopped from going in the gorse or is bad enough not to reach it.

cpfc4evandeva
17-07-2016, 03:51 PM
This is an awesome battle.

Sam Spade
17-07-2016, 03:57 PM

JUSTICE FOR THE SHIRLEY PARK 961

WLYWLYAWYPWF
17-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Nick Dildo can't go five minutes without making it all about him. Twat.

cpfc4evandeva
17-07-2016, 05:31 PM
Great putt to finish it. Really great golf.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
17-07-2016, 05:35 PM
Great putt to finish it. Really great golf.

Incredible golf in any circumstances but when you consider the pressure they were under it was quite something.

kayjay
17-07-2016, 08:20 PM
Can't remember the lowest 2 scores for a last round in a major being shot by the last pairing. Even in Tiger's day when he was shooting the lights out in the final round to win by a stretch someone back in the pack would get on a roll and post the best round just for the hell of it. One of you learned gents might recall it happening before??

art malice
17-07-2016, 09:50 PM
JUSTICE FOR THE SHIRLEY PARK 961

:supergrin:

Chester
17-07-2016, 10:06 PM
So happy for Stenson. One of the real good guys out there and went through hell when he lost most of his money to Stanfords Ponzi exploits.

That's some phenomenal golf from both players.

Golf Boy
18-07-2016, 07:44 AM
"we want to be swinging it more like the pros" - Im not sure what this even means. If you look at the top 10 of the leaderboard im pretty sure every one of them swings it differently. Just taking Stenson and Mickleson they both have lovely swings in their own right but couldnt be more different. One of the great thing about golf is that there is no one way to swing it and trying to copy someone v rarely works out well.

"It just means we are swinging better" - I dont understand that one either. Dustin Johnson hits a huge fade and lots of pros now have it as their stock shot so no idea why hitting a draw means you are swinging better.

Not trying to be argumentative btw, genuinely interested as you teach and you likely have access to more data and evidence than me :)

Yes, aesthetically you see a lot of different swings on the telly but they have a lot more in common with each other than meets the eye.

Fade or draw they all swing in line or just inside the line of their body alignment. None of them swing across their own body alignment. Shot shape depends on face angle and aim in relation to the target, maybe with a a few small tweeks for individual shots.

Dustin Johnson hasn't changed his swing -- he has an inbuilt slight draw. He has decided to start fading, not by rebuilding his swing but by incorperating a fade shape into his set up.

If you notice the pro tracer on shots on the telly, nearly all show a straightish shot or a slight draw or fade. The poor shots you see are drawing too much to the left or going straight right -- i don't think i've ever seen a true slice bending miles right -- if they had shot in their bag they wouldn't be on tour.

When i say we want to be swinging more like the pros, then it is the important commonalities I mean, not whether we are lifting the arms like Furyk or sutting the face like Johnson etc..etc.. Obviously pretty much no one swings like the pros - if they did they will be playing golf for a living. But if they can get a bit closer to them, then they will be getting more fun from the game.

Big Blue Eagle
18-07-2016, 08:16 AM
Absolutely fantastic battle this year, Stenson and Lefty were on another planet to the rest, although they did get a break over the first two days with the weather to be fair. But after that, they left the field in the dust. Really pleased for Stenson - wonderful player who has had real sh*t luck over the years - especially losing all his winnings thanks to Alan Stanford.

As for Sky, not bad, but as usual they do get rather po faced and serious a lot of the time. Its best when Ewan Murray and Butch are on - they seem to spark quite well. Critchley gets my goat ever since he spent the whole Turkish Open obviously being paid to plug Belek and its hotels every few minutes.

From the Beeb, while Uncle Peter is now past his best I do like Andrew Cotter and miss his little barbs and his humour. Rich Beem is good, but I really don't get the "Radar" love to misuse a song title.

One thing - I know no amateurs made it to the weekend, but I don't recall them ever being mentioned by Sky on Thurs/Fri which is something, to his credit, Alliss always did.

Fat Andy
18-07-2016, 11:58 AM
To be fair I think there were only 2 amateurs playing. And Sky did give quite a bit of air time to Gregory the scottish amateur over the first 2 days, especially the first day when he was doing well.

As others have said so happy for Stenson, a truly lovely guy, one of the few guys on Tour with no baggage. Would love him to go on and win a few more majors.

Big Blue Eagle
18-07-2016, 12:02 PM
To be fair I think there were only 2 amateurs playing. And Sky did give quite a bit of air time to Gregory the scottish amateur over the first 2 days, especially the first day when he was doing well.

As others have said so happy for Stenson, a truly lovely guy, one of the few guys on Tour with no baggage. Would love him to go on and win a few more majors.

Fair enough, I did FFWD a lot of the first couple of days.

aj4england
18-07-2016, 12:13 PM
Hopefully the extra revenue they get from Sky will be put towards developing the game.
As shit as it sounds could golf devise some kind of shorter game format outside of the majors to stir a bit of excitement? Golfs equivalent of 20/20. Some sort of match play knockout format could be quite exciting. I enjoy watching golf on TV but it's really not that exciting until you reach the business end.

Top 12 players

4 x 3 balls for 3 holes

Winners in a pairs x 6 holes

Winners of that in the final 9 hole shootout

aj4england
18-07-2016, 12:15 PM
All be in done in a day's tele

Golf Boy
18-07-2016, 12:39 PM
Top 12 players

4 x 3 balls for 3 holes

Winners in a pairs x 6 holes

Winners of that in the final 9 hole shootout

It might be exiting, but it is a rubbish way to find out who is best at Golf.

We'll be having crazy golf obstacles and long drive bonus points before long.

Fat Andy
18-07-2016, 12:58 PM
The R&A are really trying to push a nine hole format. I just can't see what this will prove or how it will get people interested.

Nigel_Scarfer
18-07-2016, 01:09 PM
Beeeeeeeeeeeef
Do they drug test at the open, cos that guy seems stoned as ****!

Fat Andy
18-07-2016, 01:18 PM
He is half Jamaican :afro:

Nigel_Scarfer
18-07-2016, 01:20 PM
His afro was growing down instead of up!

WLYWLYAWYPWF
18-07-2016, 01:33 PM
It might be exiting, but it is a rubbish way to find out who is best at Golf.

We'll be having crazy golf obstacles and long drive bonus points before long.

I totally agree that from a purists perspective it sounds like an awful idea but then so did 20/20 to cricket fans but I don't think there are many now who don't think it has been a success.

As long as the majors stay exactly the same I see no harm in at least experimenting with a shorter format. One day tournaments with huge prize money would be exciting and would hopefully attract younger fans who get drawn in to playing the game.

cpfc4evandeva
18-07-2016, 05:38 PM
Do they drug test at the open, cos that guy seems stoned as ****!

Yeah man!

He actually speaks a bit like Ali G :D

JDawg
18-07-2016, 05:43 PM
and I on 30 on Stenson. Happy days.

adrenalin john
18-07-2016, 06:03 PM

Well done. Golf betting is almost impossible, that's a great call

JDawg
18-07-2016, 06:13 PM
Well done. Golf betting is almost impossible, that's a great call

A hunch before the tournament started. Wasn't expecting it to be quite the thriller it turned out to be.

Lemming
18-07-2016, 06:16 PM

Odds?