PDA

View Full Version : Palace's Best Captains

SilentAssassin
09-08-2016, 06:37 AM
Obviously I think the majority will say Geoff Thomas was our best ever captain. But I was wondering with the transition of captaincy from Jedinak (who for me is right up there with Geoff) to Dann, who others thought was a great captain for the club?

cantspell
09-08-2016, 10:09 AM
Jim cannon

Harry Bassett
09-08-2016, 10:23 AM
Fred Dawes

Nigelbrag
09-08-2016, 11:42 AM
In my 46 years supporting i would say Jim Cannon is right up there, he led by example a young developing team but was also a superb player. Geoff Thomas was fortunate to have a very good team around him, but was also a player who led from the front.
As for Mile Jedinak, probably captained the least talented team of the Three, but really stood out for his leadership and commitment and deserves massive praise for that.
If pushed i would say as a player he would be bottom of the Three, but as Captain, i would pump for Mile Jedinak, unfortunately he receives very undeserved stick by some on here, forgetting he has been a tremendous servant to the club for many a year but sadly time catches up on all of us.

CP Satellite
09-08-2016, 01:56 PM
Ian Evans for me. Got the feeling both Palace and Wales missed his influence, both as a hugely reliable centre half and an excellent organizer on the pitch too.

Still haven't got over the way George Best almost nonchalantly went over the top of a ball in a rash challenge v Fulham in 1978 and just shrugged his shoulders as our 'Taffy' was left in a heap.

Evans spent a good two seasons out, before finally recovering and moving to Barnsley and striking up a long lasting partnership with fellow CB Mick McCarthy, which extended into management for many years after they stopped playing too.

A huge part of our massive Cup run in 1976 and also promotion in 1977. I feel he was sorely missed after promotion to Division One in 1979. Billy Gilbert was a very good replacement to have for Taffy, some would say BG was slightly better - my feelings are that Evans would have been a steadying influence on a very young and naeve Palace team under Venables (Team of the 80's) and although Jim Cannon did a fantastic job as skipper, he obviously did not have the experience of Evans who had been part of a QPR team that had surged up the Divisions prior to joining Palace, when Jimbo was still relatively young.

Geoff Thomas was also massive for us and obviously part of the most impressive Palace League team ever (so far!) in 1990/91.

Would loved to have seen Jimmy Cannon and Ian Evans together for Palace in Division One - another Palace 'if only' situation as far as I'm concerned. Gilbert could easily have fitted in too as Jim was used in virtually any position in midfield or defence - three of the toughest guys we have ever had at Palace.

GrahamH
09-08-2016, 06:39 PM
John Sewell

Pistol Knight
09-08-2016, 07:51 PM
In my 46 years supporting i would say Jim Cannon is right up there, he led by example a young developing team but was also a superb player. Geoff Thomas was fortunate to have a very good team around him, but was also a player who led from the front.
As for Mile Jedinak, probably captained the least talented team of the Three, but really stood out for his leadership and commitment and deserves massive praise for that.
If pushed i would say as a player he would be bottom of the Three, but as Captain, i would pump for Mile Jedinak, unfortunately he receives very undeserved stick by some on here, forgetting he has been a tremendous servant to the club for many a year but sadly time catches up on all of us.

:p

SilentAssassin
10-08-2016, 06:58 AM
Also thought Popovic wasn't bad. Certaintly gone on to show his leadership skills as a manager.

Cannon is before my time, very interesting to hear Nigelbrag opinion of where Geoff Thomas, Jim Cannon and Mile Jedinak fall.

tony 1947
10-08-2016, 07:05 AM
Johnny McNichol used his experience to get us out of the fourth division after a good career with Chelsea also John Sewell led by example getting the club for the first time in division one. Both were great captains but must agree with Jim Cannon as the best.

KYLIE MINEAGLE
10-08-2016, 07:53 AM
Bobby Kellard was a good one. 5 foot nothing hard as nails.

Nelson Muntz
10-08-2016, 07:57 AM
1. Jim Cannon
2. Mile Jedinak
3. Geoff Thomas

Owngoal
10-08-2016, 08:27 AM
1. Jim Cannon
2. Mile Jedinak
3. Geoff Thomas

Good call and a lot to do with the teams at the time. Mile has had a tremendous influence on the performance of our players that is often underestimated by supporters. With JC (apt initials) his sheer longevity makes him number 1 in many departments.

gilesy14
10-08-2016, 01:04 PM
Mark Hudson. Mainly due to his unrivalled loyalty.

BB Bob
10-08-2016, 01:18 PM
....the reverse handclap of Dino Austin....

evvo111
10-08-2016, 07:01 PM
Jim Cannon.

EagleSE24
11-08-2016, 08:32 AM
Agree with those mentioned. Would also give credit to Shipperly for the promotion year in 2004.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
11-08-2016, 09:15 AM
Would have to be Jim Cannon for me. Not just for his pitch heroics, but the early 80s were a very tough time for the club, and the reliable, reassuring sight of him emerging from the tunnel each game was about the only constant!

ExiledStirling
11-08-2016, 09:25 AM
When I first saw the thread title I immediately said Geoff Thomas as if there was no one else.

Reading this thread I realise there are some worthy candidates, so actually have no clue who I would plump for now.

John Sewell is interesting to me because as a young lad I just did not rate him as a footballer, so am interested to see what I was missing, not just about his footballing ability but also his leadership skills.

cpfcben
11-08-2016, 09:29 AM
In 28 years of watching palace has to be jedinak. Thomas closely behind that.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
11-08-2016, 09:31 AM

Indeed, even after leaving us, he worked tirelessly to relegate Charlton and foil countless expensive Cardiff promotion attempts

milky87
11-08-2016, 09:34 AM
Shaun Derry surely deserves a mention

Owngoal
11-08-2016, 09:37 AM

Really? Best captains are the stand out ones. Shaun was OK but not a standout captain

Owngoal
11-08-2016, 09:40 AM

You have to remember who the manager was who handled him so well that he was not offered a contract until it was too late

GrahamH
11-08-2016, 11:35 AM
When I first saw the thread title I immediately said Geoff Thomas as if there was no one else.

Reading this thread I realise there are some worthy candidates, so actually have no clue who I would plump for now.

John Sewell is interesting to me because as a young lad I just did not rate him as a footballer, so am interested to see what I was missing, not just about his footballing ability but also his leadership skills.

John Sewell may not have been the best player we have had, although he was better than many gave him credit for, but he was an excellent captain. He was the sort of person who was able to get the best out of his team mates. He would give a quiet word when needed, but be a lot more vocal when that was needed.

If you want a comparison in cricket, think Mike Brearley.

Big Gav
11-08-2016, 11:40 AM
In my lifetime

1) Jim Cannon
2) Geoff Thomas
3) Mile Jedinak

SilentAssassin
12-08-2016, 11:12 AM
Paddy McCarthy worthy of a mention due to admin but seemed well regarded by quite a few managers and staff alike with him being at the club for so long.

Typical Palace
12-08-2016, 01:26 PM

He deserves a brief mention before deciding he isn't even in the stop 20 captains of CPFC.

When was he captain? And for how long? Wasn't he just a stand-in?

Typical Palace
12-08-2016, 01:36 PM
Mile is a man mountain, a tanker of testosterone. Always an inspiration as a character. As a player less so, as we've got better and better, leaving him out of the side. Having said that he came back and performed strongly at the end of last season, which suggests he could still have a role in the 25.

Cannon was an inspiration, a lone talisman of loyalty in the Dark Ages. Also a very decent player too. One question mark about him was the way it ended. Coppell received criticism, not least from Jimbo, but it seemed the changing of the guard wasn't handled well as a skipper by Jimbo. We had the non-league hungry, largely black, youngsters, of Wright, Gray, Finnigan and Bright and there was a sense of a divided camp between them and the Nebbling, Wood and Cannon group. I've always inferred that was in Coppell's thinking when he somewhat harshly released Jim.

He may not have had much glory, towards the end, but Jimbo was key to us retained our top 2 divisional status. He scored every season, even if we had to wait until April sometimes. As a man he was the equal of Jedi; a colossus amongst mortals.

Geoff Thomas captained our greatest side, and was an inspiring leader, but judgement of him has to consider that it was the best team.

We have had some awful captains though: 6/10 Carl Fletcher one who springs to mind. Staggeringly ordinary. Did scowling Scowcroft captain us? Awful uninspiring unleaders

Payroll Legend
12-08-2016, 01:37 PM
Was Shiperley captain when we won the play offs in Cardiff? Captain and winning goal scorer. Deserved a nod.

Kuqi32
12-08-2016, 01:58 PM
Was Shiperley captain when we won the play offs in Cardiff? Captain and winning goal scorer. Deserved a nod.
https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/s3/dreamteamfc-prod/uploads/2016/05/Shipperley.jpg

Vince Hilaire's Afro
12-08-2016, 02:00 PM
Gareth Southgate captained a young side to success, leading by example.

Fatboy
12-08-2016, 02:08 PM
In my lifetime

1) Jim Cannon
2) Geoff Thomas
3) Mile Jedinak

Cannot argue with this...

Fatboy
12-08-2016, 02:11 PM
https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/s3/dreamteamfc-prod/uploads/2016/05/Shipperley.jpg

He wont get in that shirt now.

Latvian Eagle
12-08-2016, 06:45 PM
Geoff Thomas was a true leader. Can't look past him for thr greatest in my lifetime.

L'head Eagle
12-08-2016, 07:03 PM
Paddy McCarthy worthy of a mention due to admin but seemed well regarded by quite a few managers and staff alike with him being at the club for so long.

Was a great captain just not the longevity of Jim Cannon. I remember seeing the effect on the way the whole side performed with Paddy and how disorganised if he was injured or suspended.

orp pisshead1
13-08-2016, 11:33 AM
Geoff Thomas was a true leader. Can't look past him for thr greatest in my lifetime.

Given your age that's fair enough:p.

Jim Cannon
Geoff Thomas
Jedi

In that order for me along with as mentioned special mention to Paddy mac:p.

orp pisshead1
13-08-2016, 11:35 AM
In my lifetime

1) Jim Cannon
2) Geoff Thomas
3) Mile Jedinak

Should've read page first:D
Spot on:p.

orp pisshead1
13-08-2016, 11:39 AM
Mile is a man mountain, a tanker of testosterone. Always an inspiration as a character. As a player less so, as we've got better and better, leaving him out of the side. Having said that he came back and performed strongly at the end of last season, which suggests he could still have a role in the 25.

Cannon was an inspiration, a lone talisman of loyalty in the Dark Ages. Also a very decent player too. One question mark about him was the way it ended. Coppell received criticism, not least from Jimbo, but it seemed the changing of the guard wasn't handled well as a skipper by Jimbo. We had the non-league hungry, largely black, youngsters, of Wright, Gray, Finnigan and Bright and there was a sense of a divided camp between them and the Nebbling, Wood and Cannon group. I've always inferred that was in Coppell's thinking when he somewhat harshly released Jim.

He may not have had much glory, towards the end, but Jimbo was key to us retained our top 2 divisional status. He scored every season, even if we had to wait until April sometimes. As a man he was the equal of Jedi; a colossus amongst mortals.

Geoff Thomas captained our greatest side, and was an inspiring leader, but judgement of him has to consider that it was the best team.

We have had some awful captains though: 6/10 Carl Fletcher one who springs to mind. Staggeringly ordinary. Did scowling Scowcroft captain us? Awful uninspiring unleaders

Fantastic post though bit harsh on GT as he had a huge role in our late 80's rise:p.

RAB
13-08-2016, 11:39 AM
1. Jim Cannon
2. Mile Jedinak
3. Geoff Thomas

Agree with the selection and the order too.