PDA

View Full Version : Roy Summersby RIP

ian king
09-08-2016, 09:24 PM
The club has been informed that Roy Summersby has passed away, he was 81.

Roy joined Palace from Millwall in December 1958 and the forward became one of the few outfield players for Palace to make more than 100 consecutive appearances from his debut (actually 123). In the 1960-61 season when Palace gained promotion from the old Division Four Johnny Byrne netted 30 League goals and Roy as his striking partner claimed 25 - between them half our total of 110.

A stocky inside-forward who was fast and clever and blossomed under manager Arthur Rowe's 'push and run' tactics, providing the ideal foil to Byrne.

Roy made 190 appearances for the club, scoring 60 goals including one on his debut, and left for Portsmouth to rejoin his former Palace manager George Smith in December 1962.

alf
09-08-2016, 09:29 PM
Unfortunately Roy was just before my time as a Palace supporter.
Condolences to his family and friends.
RIP.

westsussexeagle
09-08-2016, 09:30 PM
And so another Palace player from the days when I started supporting them passes away.

cranesparkeagle
09-08-2016, 09:32 PM
Before my time obviously but clearly a player to be reckoned with. Byrne and Summersby would have been some partnership. Be nice hear from some of the older folk here
Very sad to hear of his death

RIP Roy and condolences to the family

tony 1947
10-08-2016, 05:53 AM
Sad to hear of the passing of Roy. One of my boyhood heroes. As Ian so rightly said was alongside Johnny Byrne, and was brilliant in the 60-61 season scoring 25 league goals. Played also at wing half in his later Palace career and played for Portsmouth in the league after Palace. He used to live in Highbarrow Road Addiscombe and us 'boys' used to go round and get pictures signed which he never refused. Thoughts and prayers are with his family.

N Herts Eagle
10-08-2016, 06:00 AM
Just before my time, but the guy I went to games with latter often talked about him and Johnny Byrne in partnership scoring for fun, condolences to his family.

DARZET EAGLE
10-08-2016, 12:33 PM
Roy was a terrific foil for Budgie Byrne, and at the time a great signing from our old foes Millwall. He made goalscoring look easy, never showboating. Sad that another player from my early memories of Palace has passed away. Condolances to his family.