Andy Murray but will probably be Mo.

Team of the year will be Leicester.

fioreuk
22-08-2016, 01:26 PM
sports personality of the year 2016
going to be a tough one this year :p

Mo, Trott, Murray, Rose , Adams, and the list goes on

spoilt for choice this year

First 3 you mention plus Kenny will be fighting it out I think. Put a few quid on Murray after his gold but not so sure he will win now, although retaining the Davis Cup may seal it for him.

You're right though, bumper year.

GreatGonzo
22-08-2016, 01:32 PM

If Leicester are in and around the lower reaches will it still be them?

I would like to see the women's hockey team get it, but what Leicester did was special too.

For once some really tough choices.

Bolt of overseas personality probably the nailed on one?

Malarkey
22-08-2016, 01:34 PM
Steve Parish

aj4england
22-08-2016, 01:37 PM
Mile Jedanik

aj4england
22-08-2016, 01:37 PM

Team of the year GB Hockey girls?

eagle mart
22-08-2016, 01:42 PM
Pardew

BERT'S HEAD
22-08-2016, 01:46 PM

They weren't 5000/1 to win in Rio but will be fresher in people's minds.

spunky
22-08-2016, 01:48 PM
Laura Trott, she's nothing short of amazing and a massive inspiration to girls looking at getting into sport

firesign
22-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Lots to choose from, but I reckon it could be Max Whitlock.

GreatGonzo
22-08-2016, 01:51 PM
Laura Trott, she's nothing short of amazing and a massive inspiration to girls looking at getting into sport

Plus she's quite fit.

RUSSELL
22-08-2016, 01:54 PM
Team of the year will be 'Team GB'

fioreuk
22-08-2016, 01:55 PM

Around 20\1 odds on him currently.

pauldrulez
22-08-2016, 01:57 PM
Backed Kenny at 12s as he sealed his 3rd Gold. Fingers crossed he can at least place

firesign
22-08-2016, 02:01 PM
It depends on who the BBC put in their top 12 - and sometimes votes get split, for example if you've got more than one person from a particular sport. Froome, Wiggins, Kenny, Trott have all got a case to be included but they'd have a better chance of winning if there's only one cyclist selected.

rhiannapaul
22-08-2016, 02:04 PM
English rugby has turned around great grand slam and thrashing the Aussies 3 nil ,for team of the year

outside bet cal Crutchlow first Brit to win Moto gp premier class for 35 years !

but Andy Murray has got to 3 grand slam finals won Wimbeldon and olympics

not forgetting lewis Hamilton (but that is just a 2 horse race)

hopefully Benteke will be on 40 goals by Christmas for overseas personality !

CaterhamEagle
22-08-2016, 02:21 PM

I highly doubt it'll be him but what he has achieved, and done for GB gymnastics, is simply incredible. He'd probably be my favourite of all the names being touted at the moment but we have such a great field to choose from this year.

pauldrulez
22-08-2016, 02:21 PM
It depends on who the BBC put in their top 12 - and sometimes votes get split, for example if you've got more than one person from a particular sport. Froome, Wiggins, Kenny, Trott have all got a case to be included but they'd have a better chance of winning if there's only one cyclist selected.

Wiggins shouldn't be anywhere near it.

Kenny and Trott should be the Track Cycling representatives, with Froome there for his Tour De France exploits yet again as well as his Bronze in the Olympic Time Trial.

Mo is obvious. As is Whitlock.

Murray and Hamilton will be in the vote as well.

spunky
22-08-2016, 02:23 PM
Froome won't win it, he just doesn't have the love of the public that wiggins had, sad but true

spunky
22-08-2016, 02:24 PM
Plus she's quite fit.

Youd need to be to compete in the omnium, :p

spike
22-08-2016, 02:33 PM
As winner, she'd have to give a speech, which I think we can do without (her weird accent / overuse of "like" like)

rhiannapaul
22-08-2016, 03:26 PM
not forgetting Peaty and his world record in the Pool

and the old boy Skelton there is hope for us all

sexy posh totty Charlotte J'gardain 2 times now

tsunamiman
22-08-2016, 03:43 PM
It's amazing to think a guy who is Wimbledon and Olympic champion and the tour de france winner could conceivably not even be in the top 3.

Big Blue Eagle
22-08-2016, 03:45 PM
Danny Wiilettt........

herts_palace
22-08-2016, 04:01 PM
Think they will make an exception this year and have more than 12

DARZET EAGLE
22-08-2016, 07:32 PM
Wiggins shouldn't be anywhere near it.

Kenny and Trott should be the Track Cycling representatives, with Froome there for his Tour De France exploits yet again as well as his Bronze in the Olympic Time Trial.

Mo is obvious. As is Whitlock.

Murray and Hamilton will be in the vote as well.

He's already won it and there are much better candidates such as Mo, Trott , Kenny. Peachy. As for the team event a long shot would be 58 year old Show jumper Nick Skelton and his horse Big Star. :p:p

pauldrulez
22-08-2016, 07:35 PM
He's already won it and there are much better candidates such as Mo, Trott , Kenny. Peachy. As for the team event a long shot would be 58 year old Show jumper Nick Skelton and his horse Big Star. :p:p

He'll be in the vote more than likely though. Hope he gets nowhere near top 5, easily hateable.

Saying that, with F1 being off BBC, there's an opportunity to not put him in!

RobertCPFC
22-08-2016, 09:18 PM
I think it could be one of the closest ever. They will also include a few on the shortlist from the Paralympics.

I would go with Jason Kenny after equalling Sir Chris Hoy and has never received enough attention for his success.

rhiannapaul
23-08-2016, 01:36 PM
kenny needs a pr coach
his misses knows the score

Palace121
23-08-2016, 02:07 PM
I'm being lazy, who's currently favourite?

I think Mo deserves it personally. I see he was using reverse psychology yesterday saying he wouldn't be in the top 3 again.:lux:

Payroll Legend
23-08-2016, 07:52 PM
Plus she's quite fit.

Really!

RazorsEdge
23-08-2016, 08:02 PM

I agree

tsunamiman
23-08-2016, 08:04 PM
Team GB Hockey Girls 10-1 to win team of the year on ladbrokes.

st albans
23-08-2016, 08:28 PM

Over Leicester winning the premier league???? No chance. 5000-1 odds, come on people

st albans
23-08-2016, 08:29 PM
He'll be in the vote more than likely though. Hope he gets nowhere near top 5, easily hateable.

Saying that, with F1 being off BBC, there's an opportunity to not put him in!

Easily hateable?

delboy01
23-08-2016, 09:01 PM
Isn't have Andy Murray and personality in the same sentence an oxymoron?

pauldrulez
23-08-2016, 09:25 PM
Easily hateable?

Hamilton?

Dislikeable personality, and has achieved very little when not having the best car.

Strathclyde Eagle
23-08-2016, 09:51 PM
English rugby has turned around great grand slam and thrashing the Aussies 3 nil ,for team of the year
Yeah, ok. :D

NorthPalace23
23-08-2016, 09:55 PM
Loads to choose from!!!!

If I had to pick one I would go with Max Whitlock. Two golds in the space of an hour or so. Also got a bronze.

Traditionally we have been pretty crap at gymnastics so I think he deserves it for helping GB to achieve something in a different event where we don't normally excel.

GreatGonzo
24-08-2016, 06:55 AM
kenny needs a pr coach
his misses knows the score

Kenny doesn't want the fame and attention.

CPFC_DAVE77
24-08-2016, 07:31 AM
As others have said, so many to pick from.

Personally Iíd like it to go to one of our Olympians such as Kenny or Trott or Whitlock.

However, you can make a compelling case to give it to Murray.

Hamilton will be there or there abouts again as after a poor start he may well win another world championship, though Iíd rather it went to less of a household name.

I canít see menís cricket or football doing too well.

GJN
24-08-2016, 07:31 AM
Has to be Froome if goes on to win the Vuelta. Two grand tour wins in a year, an Olympic bronze in the time trial and 12th in a brutal road race.

Looking around I don't see what surpasses that, though Murray deserves recognition as well.

pardew's shorts
24-08-2016, 09:33 AM
People might not vote for Murray purely on the basis that he has already won it twice, but should/does it work like that?

It would seem incredibly harsh not to give the award to a whole number of candidates, but Murray's achievements still are the most impressive, I would say.

At a minimum this year, he has won Wimbledon and the Olympics, and reached the finals in Melbourne and Paris. There is still the US Open, the Davis Cup and the Tour Finals to come.

If he added one, two or all three of those to this year's achievements (which is very much doable on current form), how could he not win it?

Big Blue Eagle
24-08-2016, 09:51 AM
Some years just have too many candidates....same as 2012. Not sure if anyone has mentioned Johnny Brownlee either - retaining a triathlon title!

Bolt is currently a shoe in for overseas I think, but as for us, as Pardew says, Murray could be on the cusp of something truly incredible, but then so is Chris Froome, so were Jason Kenny, Laura Trott, Mo Farah - they achieved it, so did Danny Willett, so, probably will Lewus Hamilton, 4 times world champion maybe.

Spectacular year really.

foxinthebox
24-08-2016, 09:58 AM
Some years just have too many candidates....same as 2012. Not sure if anyone has mentioned Johnny Brownlee either - retaining a triathlon title!

Bolt is currently a shoe in for overseas I think, but as for us, as Pardew says, Murray could be on the cusp of something truly incredible, but then so is Chris Froome, so were Jason Kenny, Laura Trott, Mo Farah - they achieved it, so did Danny Willett, so, probably will Lewus Hamilton, 4 times world champion maybe.

Spectacular year really.

Alistair brownlee

costello
24-08-2016, 10:06 AM
so long as it's not Lewis Hamilton I don't really mind. They're all worthy candidates.

CPFC_DAVE77
24-08-2016, 10:31 AM
so long as it's not Lewis Hamilton I don't really mind. They're all worthy candidates.

What's wrong with HAM?

CommercialStone
24-08-2016, 10:41 AM
It's a bloody hard choice looking at the suggestions so far.

Team of the year could well be Team GB, just as a complete cop out so they can give the individual award to someone else.

Overseas award will almost certainly be Bolt again.

firesign
24-08-2016, 11:43 AM
Team GB won team award in 2012

Wiggins won the individual title, Jessica Ennis was runner-up and Andy Murray third.

pauldrulez
24-08-2016, 01:10 PM
In 2008, Lewis Hamilton won his first World Championship. He came 2nd in the voting to Chris Hoy, who achieved in the Beijing Olympics exactly what Jason Kenny did this year. 3 Golds, 3 different disciplines.

Big Blue Eagle
24-08-2016, 02:49 PM
Alistair brownlee
Damn, posting before coffee is not sensible!

GreatGonzo
24-08-2016, 03:00 PM

Spectacular year really.

Danny Willet, win a major and yer might not even make the 12 person shortlist!

JackTheBiscuit
24-08-2016, 03:08 PM
The d Mailwill have a field day if sports personality of the year goes to a Muslim as well as Bake Off

fang
24-08-2016, 03:11 PM
The d Mailwill have a field day if sports personality of the year goes to a Muslim as well as Bake Off

:supergrin:

fioreuk
24-08-2016, 03:29 PM

I mistakenly took that to be Millwall initially. However, sentiments would be the same anyway.

foxinthebox
20-10-2016, 10:38 AM
Damn, posting before coffee is not sensible!

Hope you had a bet on Ali. Must have been 50's + back then. Second fav now but think he will have a great chance once they show his VT

ANTEAGLE
14-11-2016, 01:49 PM
Clearly Murray is going to win this. The World Number 1 position has pretty much nailed it.

JAS78
14-11-2016, 01:56 PM
Mo Farah double, double Olympic golds back to back

I think he deserves it this time over Murray

ANTEAGLE
14-11-2016, 01:59 PM
It could be a few people but I think because Murray getting Number 1 has just happened, he will get extra votes.

MasterYoda
14-11-2016, 10:27 PM
Mo Farah double, double Olympic golds back to back

I think he deserves it this time over Murraymurray has the advantage of not being a blatant doper*.

*So I'm told

PhuketEagle
15-11-2016, 06:34 AM
Like to see Farah get it as he won't get another chance - brilliant season for him & fighting off those accusations too. Double Olympic gold, again.
Murray's got to be the other choice imo.

SeanPalace84
15-11-2016, 07:42 AM
https://m.oddschecker.com/m/awards/sports-personality-of-the-year/winner

Bookies seem to think Murray likely at 1/2 but you can get Alistair Brownlee at 4s.

Wayne Rooney at 250/1 may be worth a shout :D

Icy
15-11-2016, 12:48 PM
murray has the advantage of not being a blatant doper*.

*So I'm told

Maybe if he took drugs he might be more interesting. If ever there was a man ill fitting of the title 'personality' it's him.

Hamilton has spent the season acting like a petulant child so i hope its not him.

Loads of good candidates from Athletics, cycling etc. Mo would definitely be a good shout as would Jason Kenny or Laura Trott.

Connor McGregor should get a shout but that will never happen with the BBC.

MasterYoda
15-11-2016, 01:59 PM
Connor McGregor should get a shout but that will never happen with the BBC.He wouldn't be eligible. Overseas would be fine but not the main SPOTY award.

GanbareWashi
15-11-2016, 02:44 PM
It depends on what the award is for. The title is Sports PERSONALITY of the year, but people are discussing ACHIEVEMENTS. I am happy with it being for sporting achievements, but they should change the name of the award.

On a personal note I would like to give it to Laura Trott, but Jason might complain.

Icy
15-11-2016, 04:16 PM
He wouldn't be eligible. Overseas would be fine but not the main SPOTY award.

Is it UK nationals only? For some reason i thought Ireland was included. Must just be Northern Ireland then.

OldPeanutSeller
15-11-2016, 04:32 PM
I think it's brilliant we have so many to choose from. As a nation, we're top in cycling, quality rowers, swimmers - all sorts. In previous years, there have been 1 or 2 stand out people and a load of also-rans. This year, there really is a lot of quality.... except football, if you exclude Leicester.

Chris Boardman lays the success firmly at the door of lottery funding and a somewhat ruthless professionalism which is not normally an attribute of these fair isles. Well played all of them, say I.

Team-wise, I think I would go for the hockey team, since Leicester do their job for a living and can concentrate full time, whereas the women cannot to the same extent.

Individually, Kenny or Trott. Froome should also be up there, but unfortunately for him he lacks charisma, which shouldn't detract from his chances, but probably will.

Nigelbrag
15-11-2016, 05:06 PM
I think it will go to Andy Murray, probably you can't quibble at that for what he has achieved over the past 12 months. But the person i feel deserves it is Mo Farah, the most outstanding athlete we have ever produced, he has literally been unbeatable for the past SIX years in a very competitive sport. However, should he fail to win surely he must be honoured in the New Years list, it's the least he deserves.

Steve in Phoenix
15-11-2016, 05:06 PM
It will be Murray but Whitlock is another who has outstanding and unprecedented achieventments this year.

Wolfnipplechips
15-11-2016, 07:27 PM
I think it will go to Andy Murray, probably you can't quibble at that for what he has achieved over the past 12 months. But the person i feel deserves it is Mo Farah, the most outstanding athlete we have ever produced, he has literally been unbeatable for the past SIX years in a very competitive sport. However, should he fail to win surely he must be honoured in the New Years list, it's the least he deserves.

Does anybody give a shit about honours any more?

Shouldn't he be honoured to be a great athlete who makes a fabulous living doing what he loves and being revered and respected by his fellow citizens?

MasterYoda
17-11-2016, 03:19 PM
Is it UK nationals only? For some reason i thought Ireland was included. Must just be Northern Ireland then.

I looked it up - it either has to be someone from GB or NI or they have to play the majority of their sport in this country. So for example a foreign footballer playing for a British club could win it.

Palace121
17-11-2016, 03:59 PM
I think it's brilliant we have so many to choose from. As a nation, we're top in cycling, quality rowers, swimmers - all sorts. In previous years, there have been 1 or 2 stand out people and a load of also-rans. This year, there really is a lot of quality.... except football, if you exclude Leicester.

Chris Boardman lays the success firmly at the door of lottery funding and a somewhat ruthless professionalism which is not normally an attribute of these fair isles. Well played all of them, say I.

Team-wise, I think I would go for the hockey team, since Leicester do their job for a living and can concentrate full time, whereas the women cannot to the same extent.

Individually, Kenny or Trott. Froome should also be up there, but unfortunately for him he lacks charisma, which shouldn't detract from his chances, but probably will.

Right...but the hockey team are competing in a sport against other women who do their job for a living.

Sorry but if Leicester don't win the team of the year award, it would be a disgrace.

Icy
18-12-2016, 09:09 PM
How the hell did Murray win. The old tennis mums must have been voting in force.

Eaglesmad123
18-12-2016, 09:15 PM
Well world number one in tennis is quite an achievement

PalaceExile
18-12-2016, 09:19 PM
....and Olympic gold and winning wimbledon and getting to the finals of the French and Australian Opens and World Tour winner, but apart from all that, what has he done?!

crenoleagle
18-12-2016, 09:25 PM
How the hell did Murray win. The old tennis mums must have been voting in force.

One of the best sportsperson Britain has ever produced, having his best year ever.

PalaceSi
18-12-2016, 09:37 PM
Murray's achievements in Tennis are off the scale, he had to win it really.

Popester
18-12-2016, 09:49 PM
I was lucky enough to watch Murray at the Wimbledon final, and the ATP Tour semi. I've never watched a sport where one person is so alone and has to battle through obviius pain, fatigue, pressure etc. He's an amazing sportsman.

RobertCPFC
18-12-2016, 09:50 PM
Thought he deserved it, had an amazing year. Is he the first to defend it? It was good two see two people I didn't expect in second and third.

Worksop Palace
18-12-2016, 09:53 PM
Deserved winner

Didn't watch the show though. First time for many many years. Just typical BBC cringeworthy sycophantic bullshit

glenn.f
18-12-2016, 09:54 PM

Couldn't have been anyone else really.

Icy
18-12-2016, 10:04 PM
I was lucky enough to watch Murray at the Wimbledon final, and the ATP Tour semi. I've never watched a sport where one person is so alone and has to battle through obviius pain, fatigue, pressure etc. He's an amazing sportsman.

Apart from boxing, mma, cycling, marathon running etc etc. I know he's done well but 'personality'?

It's all opinion but I'd much rather have seen someone like Farrah or Trott win it.

greybot
18-12-2016, 10:23 PM
I enjoyed it and don't get put off by the word "personality" they've adopted to use for it. It's a celebration of British sport achievement. There was one cringy moment. The Icelandic chant. But the rest of the Award ceremony was a nice recap of a great year of Sport. Happy for Leicester and Murray.

King William
18-12-2016, 10:26 PM
Couldn't have been anyone else really.

Why?

stevek
18-12-2016, 10:38 PM
Why?

Erm, because he won the Olympic gold and Wimbledon and is World number 1 in one of the most popular sports in the world. Brownlee, who came second, compares: but tennis is more popular than triathlon.

Oh, plus the amazing married couple were always going to split their vote.

Diehard
19-12-2016, 07:42 AM
Alana won The Apprentice so the evening wasn't a a complete washout...

Jordan's Jacket
19-12-2016, 08:12 AM
Murray is a deserving winner. Not sure about Brownlea and Skelton getting the minor places. I can only assume that they won the "emotional votes"

DARZET EAGLE
19-12-2016, 11:51 AM
Thoroughly deserved, Murray's third time win. Brownlea also deserved his runners up spot, such a consistant Olympic Champion in a demanding sport.

Steve in Phoenix
19-12-2016, 03:07 PM
Thing is though.. Farah did double what Alastair Brownlee did.. as well as remaining unbeaten for six years. He should have been top 3.

Froome being omitted entirely was scandalous too.

Felt sorry for the likes of Trott, Whitlock and Peaty who were astonishing in their own right.