PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a decent quality colour photo of the 1980/81 side?

teamofthe00s
02-09-2016, 10:05 AM
All I can find is this low-res one...https://footballpinkdotnet.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/palace80.jpg

The only good thing about that season was our Adidas kit (although the front covers on the programme for that season only showed our previous Admiral one).

ingepinge
12-12-2016, 09:56 PM
The legendary photo in front of that weeping willow tree... How fitting that was.

Bipe
14-12-2016, 06:10 AM
I have to say I still prefer the Admiral version of the sash. I don't think the three Adidas stripes in blue go as well as the red Admiral trim around the sleeves and shoulders. Maybe my stance is coloured by the fact that we had some really exciting times in Admiral but were utterly shit in the Adidas.

Jerry Murphy's Fringe
14-12-2016, 07:21 AM
Key difference was; Admiral - hard wearing & scratchy : Adidas - the brave new world of silky smooth shiny kits. The latter begat the iconic blue with single red stripe.

ellioteagle1
14-12-2016, 07:25 AM
Does anyone have the home kit and is looking to get rid of it? Pm me

Sick Bucket
14-12-2016, 07:47 AM
I still have that Admiral shirt somewhere, simply the best Palace shirt ever.

My very hot (but mental) Dutch ex used to where it to bed sometimes... hmmm happy days

ElwissAtMemphis
20-12-2016, 09:50 PM
I like the way you can date that photo to almost the exact year by studying it. The bubble perm / moustache combos are still apparent but they seem to be growing them out as quickly as their pride will allow (end of the 70s). The new era of shiny synthetic football shirts are de rigueur (start of the 80s). It can only be 80/81 give or take one year.

JackTheBiscuit
20-12-2016, 11:55 PM
I like the way you can date that photo to almost the exact year by studying it. The bubble perm / moustache combos are still apparent but they seem to be growing them out as quickly as their pride will allow (end of the 70s). The new era of shiny synthetic football shirts are de rigueur (start of the 80s). It can only be 80/81 give or take one year.

:D

And Gerry Francis has managed to keep his hairstyle going for 35 years

Chocky
21-12-2016, 10:35 AM
Key difference was; Admiral - hard wearing & scratchy : Adidas - the brave new world of silky smooth shiny kits. The latter begat the iconic blue with single red stripe.

It was also the first home and change shirts that you could buy from the club sop that were actual replicas, the same in every way to the players' shirts. The Admiral ones always differed a little and I'm sure we couldn't buy the yellow and black away one?

ceeby
21-12-2016, 01:55 PM

That admiral was beyond a nightmare to wear, so rough and scratchy as you said, especially for a 12 year old at the time. I remember looking longingly at the lovely silky one in the Sports shop down the TH end of Whitehorse road (well out of my price range).

I then heard someone who sounded just like Bobby Ball to me say "You little tosser" turned round and there was 5 Barnsley supporters all men in at least their late 20's offering out a single 12 year old. I crapped my pants and legged it up towards the ground with them all on my tail trying to grab my Palace hat, i really thought I was going to get the crap beaten out of me! Luckily by the time I got to the petrol station on the Whitehorse there were loads of Palace fans and I was back to safety.

Never did have the bottle to stare at that Addidas shirt again, just walked past very fast from then on.

bloody Barnsley tossers!!