Baffled Bob 2
08-09-2016, 09:09 PM
Centenary DVD

orpingtoneagle
09-09-2016, 03:30 PM
Ta - ill have to get it for Christmas

Nigelbrag
09-09-2016, 03:55 PM
Good grief "Orpingtoneagle" you have stirred up my wonderful memories of that game, can it really be nearly 40 yrs ago? that was an evening to remember.

Jim Cannon
09-09-2016, 05:33 PM
As an 8 year old boy I remember going to bed knowing we were 1-0 up and had the agonising wait until seeing the next morning's paper to find out the result! Imagine a world like that now....

OldPeanutSeller
12-09-2016, 02:20 PM
I've searched high and low for this. One of my top 3 games; brilliant night. I will now be purchasing the Centenary DVD - does it show all the goals?

will hung
21-09-2016, 10:18 PM
Was at the match, got a lift from Aberystwyth where I was at uni, I remember seeing the goals on BBC Wales the next day

morrisons shirt
02-10-2016, 06:13 PM
Great night.2up then 2-2. 90seconds on clock we win 4-2. Special got bricked on way out of wrexham

silver
02-10-2016, 08:08 PM
Great night

Chocky
03-10-2016, 03:59 PM
One of the most miraclulous wins in the last 40 years. We simply had to win that by two clear goals and despite having that lead, threw it away then got it back in the last two minutes. Then we still had to hope Wrexham didn't beat Mansfield the following Saturday, and they lost 1-0 with loads of Palace back up there to celebrate our promotion.

CP Satellite
03-10-2016, 04:24 PM
One of the most miraclulous wins in the last 40 years. We simply had to win that by two clear goals and despite having that lead, threw it away then got it back in the last two minutes. Then we still had to hope Wrexham didn't beat Mansfield the following Saturday, and they lost 1-0 with loads of Palace back up there to celebrate our promotion.

I was so gutted when Wrexham equalised at 2-2 that I could not bring myself to watch the rest of the match!

As Chocky says, most of us believed we needed the cushion of two goals to get clear of Wrexham (1976/77) wss the first season the Football League had introduced Goal Difference - before then it was Goal Average - and Palace had lost out a few times because of that system).

What some people do not realise is that Rotherham nearly overtook Wrexham and Palace on the last day.

They needed a victory by 7 clear goals, and were 4-1 at half-time!

Luckily for us, that was the final score too and because Mansfield got a last minute winner, we had more points than Wrexham, so the extra goal did not matter!

Mansfield's win also denied Brighton being champions and they had to settle for runners-up.

A great day all round!

Chocky
04-10-2016, 07:18 PM
I was so gutted when Wrexham equalised at 2-2 that I could not bring myself to watch the rest of the match!

As Chocky says, most of us believed we needed the cushion of two goals to get clear of Wrexham (1976/77) wss the first season the Football League had introduced Goal Difference - before then it was Goal Average - and Palace had lost out a few times because of that system).

What some people do not realise is that Rotherham nearly overtook Wrexham and Palace on the last day.

Luckily for us, that was the final score too and because Mansfield got a last minute winner, we had more points than Wrexham, so the extra goal did not matter!

Mansfield's win also denied Brighton being champions and they had to settle for runners-up.

A great day all round!

In those days as a kid my Dad would take me to some reserve games, if he didn't want to go himself he would drop my friend and me off and leave us to our Bovril. Yes early teenagers drinking Bovril at football. But for some reason I wasn't able to be at the reserve game that was played whilst we waited for the Mansfield game to be resolved.

Somewhere in this forum James has great photos from that game when half the first team played in the reserve game. I had to sit in my room listening on LBC which was awful until the report from Wrexham that Mansfield had scored at the end.

ElwissAtMemphis
04-10-2016, 08:31 PM
I just stumbled across this on-line which hopefully brings back good memories for those that went (I didn't). Why it's called "The Town" I don't know ...

http://footballprogrammecentre.co.uk/forum/userpix/2317_MAY__11577_Wrexham_v_CP_1.jpg

Martinsleftpeg
04-10-2016, 08:46 PM
That was one of the best ever nights as CPFC fan. I was at uni in Manchester and we had about 30 Palace fans from the NW attending not all students. We used to go to all the local games at Bury Preston Blackburn etc and the Sunderland 6 th round game was brilliant but that topped it all. I remember getting back to Manchester and entering a club where things all became slightly blurry but what I recall of it was memorable. However as I hit my head on the low gantry jumping up and down when Rachid scored I may have done permanent damage ....I think only winning the FAC v the wankers could top that evening although Burnley 1979 ran it close

dave_who_ru
04-10-2016, 08:56 PM
Great home form that season:

Played 23 - won 17 - drew 5 - lost 1 (we lost home and away to Chester City 2-1)

I seem to recall that some fans got so desperate near the end that they tried to pull down the fencing in order to invade the pitch and get the game abandoned.

bigGcpfc
04-10-2016, 08:57 PM
A few of us went up to Wrexham for the Mansfield game. Surprised to find around 50 other palace there as well. Had a great day topped off with the Mansfield players clapping us, shaking our hands and saying they knew we were there and tried a little harder for our sake. One of my top 5 football days.

davech
04-10-2016, 08:59 PM

A great day all round!

And, exactly two years later TO THE DAY history was to repeat itself when we beat Burnley 2-0 in THAT game to deny Br*ght*n the champion's spot again . They were in mid-air en route to their end of season celebrations when the pilot had the sad :sob: task of breaking the news to them that Palace had won and were Champions, not them :lux::D

delboy01
04-10-2016, 09:43 PM
I vaguely remember, though a drunken stupor that at half time several police in crash helmets kicked the crap out of some young palace lads for absolutely no reason. Then gave it the biggen to the palace who were absolutely incensed. There was a silent pause for about 10 seconds then palace piled into them. Someone kicked one of them in the head when he went down and his helmet came off!!! I thought his head was in it!!!

Never seen OB leave so fast. Then a sergeant came to the front and was looking at everyone and got hit by a chess burger square in the chest!! :D

Finally, after the game ended two palace managed to climb over the fence and were fronted by 10 Wrexham who were coming across the pitch. The two palace looked at each other and then ran at the Wrexham who scattered!!!!

Outside was shocking with the wrexham OB getting in rows with palace all the way back to the station. Hardly a Wrexham fan insight!

If anyone else saw any of this could they confirm that I'm not going senile!!!

One of the best away days ever. :lux:

Chocky
05-10-2016, 01:41 PM
And, exactly two years later TO THE DAY history was to repeat itself when we beat Burnley 2-0 in THAT game to deny Br*ght*n the champion's spot again . They were in mid-air en route to their end of season celebrations when the pilot had the sad :sob: task of breaking the news to them that Palace had won and were Champions, not them :lux::D

My Birthday was the day after the Wrexham and Burnley games, I had a couple of great days in the late 70s. Well sort of, they were pre pub days, the latter only just though.

Way back then though the two years in between seemed a very long time whereas the two recent trips to Wembley in three years seemed about one year at most.

Archiebald Leitch
06-10-2016, 09:01 PM
i still want to know who nicked my sandwiches on the train back from Wrexham.

Mr Bo Jangles
07-10-2016, 09:31 AM
Great night, long way by coach as too young to drive but well worth it. Parents (big Palace fans) picked me up from the ground at about 4am. Several other cars there collecting others and remember getting off the coaches and everyone singing. Seem to remember the Clifton being open and a few people piling in there but may have been another match. Remember the first team playing in the reserve match on the Saturday at SP, big crowd all with radios in hand and the players kept coming over to find out the score of the Mansfield Wrexham match. Really good times.

exiledeagle
07-10-2016, 02:54 PM
Wonderful night and I even went to the Wrexham v Mansfield game , happy days - I would say better than todays football ( money obsessed ) .

cad
07-10-2016, 04:24 PM
This post prompted to re-visit the files (apologies for the quality). This one a shot of Ian Evans, challenged by Wrexham's Billy Ashcroft(?) with Micky Thomas and Dave Swindlehurst in the background

cad
07-10-2016, 04:27 PM
Steve Perrin going close - not the goal.

dave_who_ru
07-10-2016, 04:27 PM
This post prompted to re-visit the files (apologies for the quality). This one a shot of Ian Evans, challenged by Wrexham's Billy Ashcroft(?) with Micky Thomas and Dave Swindlehurst in the background

Micky Thomas already looking overweight before he joined Man United.

Was on a train back to London just after he signed for them. United playing Chelsea and in the days when you could mix and chat to the players. My lasting memory was a very corpulent Louis Edwards, the then chairman. crashed out after tucking into another meal.

cad
07-10-2016, 04:29 PM
Phil holder gets in a shot. Still daylight, early first half

cad
07-10-2016, 04:34 PM
Goal celebration. I think the last goal. Bad lights. I think about three weeks at f2.8

Sam Spade
07-10-2016, 04:35 PM
i still want to know who nicked my sandwiches on the train back from Wrexham.

Wouldn't have bothered if I'd known they were Marmite.

cad
07-10-2016, 04:36 PM
Palace fans celebrate one of the first half goals. A lot of Bay City Rollers attire in there

budgie
07-10-2016, 05:31 PM
Palace fans celebrate one of the first half goals. A lot of Bay City Rollers attire in there

Can see myself on the extreme left of the picture with the scarf, it was a great day, not sure my brother agreed, he had his nose split open by one of North Wales finest, but to be fair the Met that were up there treated him well.

dave_who_ru
07-10-2016, 06:16 PM

Great find, did we really dress like that :o

orp pisshead1
07-10-2016, 06:23 PM
Great night

Was you based in N Wales then? Would've made it even better!.

CP Satellite
07-10-2016, 07:41 PM
Can see myself on the extreme left of the picture with the scarf, it was a great day, not sure my brother agreed, he had his nose split open by one of North Wales finest, but to be fair the Met that were up there treated him well.

Got a vague recollection that when Wrexham scored, although that end was entirely Palace fans, there was line of local Police and some of them celebrated.

Cue fists flying and several copper's helmets flying everywhere, some smashing into the very low roof.

Younger fans who went to Peterborough or Dover in recent seasons can possibly get an idea of how intense the atmosphere was - although there were around 20, 000 Wrexham fans on the other three sides (although Wrexham actually had two smaller stands at irregular areas back then, a truly weird ground!

orp pisshead1
07-10-2016, 09:26 PM
A few of us went up to Wrexham for the Mansfield game. Surprised to find around 50 other palace there as well. Had a great day topped off with the Mansfield players clapping us, shaking our hands and saying they knew we were there and tried a little harder for our sake. One of my top 5 football days.

Wow that's superb:p

orp pisshead1
07-10-2016, 09:27 PM
Got a vague recollection that when Wrexham scored, although that end was entirely Palace fans, there was line of local Police and some of them celebrated.

Cue fists flying and several copper's helmets flying everywhere, some smashing into the very low roof.

Younger fans who went to Peterborough or Dover in recent seasons can possibly get an idea of how intense the atmosphere was - although there were around 20, 000 Wrexham fans on the other three sides (although Wrexham actually had two smaller stands at irregular areas back then, a truly weird ground!

How many Palace travelled?. Cheers in advance :p

Battle EAGLE
08-10-2016, 02:37 PM
One of my most memorable Palace games, left the Royal Navy that day, straight up to London, met up with mates then train to Wales absolutely mental day.

biggus mickus
08-10-2016, 03:53 PM

My oh my. But we were young. Cheers Neil.

Went back uo there later for the court case. I was a witness by the way.

budgie
08-10-2016, 07:44 PM
My oh my. But we were young. Cheers Neil.

Went back uo there later for the court case. I was a witness by the way.

You wouldn't have been alone though Mick, there were several Palace fans who had to go back, a friend of mine went back and stayed overnight, and had a run in with the locals again, as they weren't impressed with the cockneys nicking there ladies.

cranesparkeagle
08-10-2016, 07:57 PM
As an 8 year old boy I remember going to bed knowing we were 1-0 up and had the agonising wait until seeing the next morning's paper to find out the result! Imagine a world like that now....

I had that experience with the world cup quarter final with West Germany. The Germans had got back to 2-2 though and we know the rest

CP Satellite
08-10-2016, 09:04 PM
How many Palace travelled?. Cheers in advance :p

The coach we went up to Wrexham on for the Mansfield game wasn't full from memory, probably less than 30, although Cad who posted those great photos on this thread would have a better idea - he was the coach steward.

I have heard that other Palace fans travelled separately to the game, but at a guess, as someone else has already said I think it would not be too much more than 50.

It was my first full season watching Palace home and away (I was only 13 at the start of the season) - the only game I missed was a midweek one at Sheffield Wendesday and we had a game abandoned at Lincoln when we were 1-0 up, I could not make the rescheduled game - which Palace lost 3-2 and apparently those that did got a 'reception' from the Lincoln fans!

A great season, so many memories, Palace juniors won the FA Youth Cup too, I think I was going to a Palace match every three or four days in April and May of 1977, we also travelled to Tottenham West Brom and QPR to follow the juniors as well as the First team games.

Battle EAGLE
09-10-2016, 05:27 PM
After the abandoned Lincoln game , it was a free for all on way back to station no police very scary memories of that game. Palace were given the run around that day.

delboy01
09-10-2016, 06:13 PM
I seem to recall that a furniture removal van full of palace went to Wrexham. When they opened the backdoor loads of smoke came out followed by dozens of pissed up palace!!! :D

Gazza2
09-10-2016, 07:34 PM
It was my old mans turn to leave a couple of minutes early to get back to station and check the tickets of those going home on the football special.
Yours truly being only 9 and still gutted about Wrexham equalising chose to leave with him rather than stay and watch the last few minutes with our friends.
A tough lesson learned about leaving early.
Which still didn't prevent me from almost floating home due to mixture of elation and tiredness from Selhurst station to our house in Holmesdale Rd in the early hours.

OldPeanutSeller
09-10-2016, 08:10 PM
Great home form that season:

Played 23 - won 17 - drew 5 - lost 1 (we lost home and away to Chester City 2-1)

I seem to recall that some fans got so desperate near the end that they tried to pull down the fencing in order to invade the pitch and get the game abandoned.

I have a strange memory of the Chester away game. When we scored, everyone was celebrating and it felt like it was raining. We were in a covered end so this seemed odd. Looking at the rain on my coat, it turned out to be rust dislodged from the roof of the stand from the vibration caused by the goal celebration.

Chocky
12-10-2016, 04:16 PM
Did anyone get the following season's Rothman's Year Book where at the front they had diagrams of the third and fourth goal in amongst other 'memorable goals of the season'?

orpingtoneagle
14-10-2016, 07:09 PM
one of my all time favourite Palace games.

cruising at 2-0, pegged back to 2-2 with no time left and two goals in last 90 seconds....your couldn't make it up. That little covered end behind the goal was feckin mental.

I was 15 and bunked off school (mum wrote me a sick note)....along with around a dozen others from our school.....when we went back in the teachers all knew we hadnt been sick (knowing we were Palace fans)

Great night

Am Phibian
18-10-2016, 03:58 PM
The coach we went up to Wrexham on for the Mansfield game wasn't full from memory, probably less than 30, although Cad who posted those great photos on this thread would have a better idea - he was the coach steward.

I have heard that other Palace fans travelled separately to the game, but at a guess, as someone else has already said I think it would not be too much more than 50.

It was my first full season watching Palace home and away (I was only 13 at the start of the season) - the only game I missed was a midweek one at Sheffield Wendesday and we had a game abandoned at Lincoln when we were 1-0 up, I could not make the rescheduled game - which Palace lost 3-2 and apparently those that did got a 'reception' from the Lincoln fans!

A great season, so many memories, Palace juniors won the FA Youth Cup too, I think I was going to a Palace match every three or four days in April and May of 1977, we also travelled to Tottenham West Brom and QPR to follow the juniors as well as the First team games.

I had heard it was hundreds of Palace fans who went on the saturday but we will never know. Wouldn't surprise me though as the usual away following was immense and very loyal so one more trip would not have been a biggie.

Here's a report from a Mansfield perspective on the final game http://www.chad.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/stags-nostalgia-wrexham-0-mansfield-town-1-14th-may-1977-1-3782018

Am Phibian
18-10-2016, 04:06 PM
one of my all time favourite Palace games.

cruising at 2-0, pegged back to 2-2 with no time left and two goals in last 90 seconds....your couldn't make it up. That little covered end behind the goal was feckin mental.

I was 15 and bunked off school (mum wrote me a sick note)....along with around a dozen others from our school.....when we went back in the teachers all knew we hadnt been sick (knowing we were Palace fans)

Great night

Such an amazing game though wasn't there. We had to win by two clear goals and by jove we did, Just. Have ordered the programme on ebay. 1. A incredibly cheap price to pay for memories of a game that will stay with me forever.

Battle EAGLE
14-11-2016, 03:40 PM
Amazing game Wrexham, can even remember the hot pork pies that was on sale. Absolute fantastic night to be had by all, nothing like it for me.

LONDONMAN
14-11-2016, 04:09 PM
I had heard it was hundreds of Palace fans who went on the saturday but we will never know. Wouldn't surprise me though as the usual away following was immense and very loyal so one more trip would not have been a biggie.

Here's a report from a Mansfield perspective on the final game http://www.chad.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/stags-nostalgia-wrexham-0-mansfield-town-1-14th-may-1977-1-3782018

Reading that article got me thinking, Wrexham had Graham Whittle, younger brother of Alan, a Palace hero of our famous Cup run, which was just the season before.

Also on the Wrexham staff - not sure if was at the game, the legendary Bill Shankly, who had rather sadly ended his long association with Liverpool, was helping Wrexham in advisory role that season.

Wrexham had some great players at the time, players like Joey Jones and Mickey Thomas who went on to play at the highest level for Liverpool and Man Utd.

Rod Arnold was a great keeper too - seem to remember he was the sort who would have a rspport with the crowd too - great character as you can see from that match report.

palacemetros
14-11-2016, 10:32 PM
Rod Arnold was a great keeper too - seem to remember he was the sort who would have a rspport with the crowd too - great character as you can see from that match report.

New years day up at Mansfield we were singing "We all agree, Rodney Arnold is Magic". King Kenny put one past him that day. Great memories.

Am Phibian
16-11-2016, 11:54 AM
Got the programme in the post. Had a good read. Amazing how understated and calm everything is considering the importance of the match. Especially for Wrexham who can't have graced the second division much by then.

LONDONMAN
16-11-2016, 12:31 PM
Got the programme in the post. Had a good read. Amazing how understated and calm everything is considering the importance of the match. Especially for Wrexham who can't have graced the second division much by then.

It would have made spectacular viewing if something like Sky Sports was around back then!

It was not just the game itself, the whole build up to it over the preceding weeks and then the final Saturday round of games, of which Palace were not involved in because of playing a re-arranged home League fixture earlier in the season made it all the more dramatic.

It can't be emphasized enough how incredible the task was for Palace, as in those days it was still just two points for a win and we were a good 5 points behind Wrexham with just four games to play, having been soundly thrashed 4-1 at Port Vale and having George Graham (who was still a decent but ageing midfield lynchpin for Palace) sent off - it looked beyond us.

The home game with Wrexham was just a week before, our last but one home game - the atmosphere at that game was cracking too, obviously playing and beating Wrexham home and away was absolutely key, but we beat Chesterfield away 2-0 and Lincoln at home 4-1 before the Wrexham game.

I honestly don't think we will see the like of it again - at the same time, the Palace Youth team had a series of fixtures, including trips to places like Tottenham, Everton and QPR, with two Finals (not just the famous Youth Cup Final win over Everton, but QPR away in the Southern Junior Floodlight Cup, which was still a full strength team with the likes of Sansom, Fenwick, Nicholas, Gilbert, Murphy, Hilaire, Walsh etc. - which we narrowly lost, coincidentally because a certain Clive Allen scored all the QPR goals!) - all inside a month at the end of the season - what a season - it also included the infamous 5 games with Brighton, two league and three cup ties, featuring the Mullery Meltdown at Stamford Bridge - and two great games with Liverpool - 0-0 at Anfield and 2-3 at home, against a side that went on to lift the European Cup at the end of that season too.

Nth Kent Eagle
16-11-2016, 01:00 PM
After the abandoned Lincoln game , it was a free for all on way back to station no police very scary memories of that game. Palace were given the run around that day.

It was in January, freezing and touch and go whether the game would go ahead. As a result there were only just over 200 on the special that day. The local paper had erroneously suggested there would be 2 train loads of Cockney troublemakers coming up to their city, hence the above average number of unpleasant Lincoln elements around. Millwall played up there in a night match later that season and also found the same.