Baffled Bob 2
08-09-2016, 11:09 PM
Centenary DVD

orpingtoneagle
09-09-2016, 05:30 PM
Ta - ill have to get it for Christmas

Nigelbrag
09-09-2016, 05:55 PM
Good grief "Orpingtoneagle" you have stirred up my wonderful memories of that game, can it really be nearly 40 yrs ago? that was an evening to remember.

Jim Cannon
09-09-2016, 07:33 PM
As an 8 year old boy I remember going to bed knowing we were 1-0 up and had the agonising wait until seeing the next morning's paper to find out the result! Imagine a world like that now....

OldPeanutSeller
12-09-2016, 04:20 PM
I've searched high and low for this. One of my top 3 games; brilliant night. I will now be purchasing the Centenary DVD - does it show all the goals?

will hung
22-09-2016, 12:18 AM
Was at the match, got a lift from Aberystwyth where I was at uni, I remember seeing the goals on BBC Wales the next day

morrisons shirt
02-10-2016, 08:13 PM
Great night.2up then 2-2. 90seconds on clock we win 4-2. Special got bricked on way out of wrexham

silver
02-10-2016, 10:08 PM
Great night

Chocky
03-10-2016, 05:59 PM
One of the most miraclulous wins in the last 40 years. We simply had to win that by two clear goals and despite having that lead, threw it away then got it back in the last two minutes. Then we still had to hope Wrexham didn't beat Mansfield the following Saturday, and they lost 1-0 with loads of Palace back up there to celebrate our promotion.

CP Satellite
03-10-2016, 06:24 PM
One of the most miraclulous wins in the last 40 years. We simply had to win that by two clear goals and despite having that lead, threw it away then got it back in the last two minutes. Then we still had to hope Wrexham didn't beat Mansfield the following Saturday, and they lost 1-0 with loads of Palace back up there to celebrate our promotion.

I was so gutted when Wrexham equalised at 2-2 that I could not bring myself to watch the rest of the match!

As Chocky says, most of us believed we needed the cushion of two goals to get clear of Wrexham (1976/77) wss the first season the Football League had introduced Goal Difference - before then it was Goal Average - and Palace had lost out a few times because of that system).

What some people do not realise is that Rotherham nearly overtook Wrexham and Palace on the last day.

They needed a victory by 7 clear goals, and were 4-1 at half-time!

Luckily for us, that was the final score too and because Mansfield got a last minute winner, we had more points than Wrexham, so the extra goal did not matter!

Mansfield's win also denied Brighton being champions and they had to settle for runners-up.

A great day all round!

Chocky
04-10-2016, 09:18 PM
I was so gutted when Wrexham equalised at 2-2 that I could not bring myself to watch the rest of the match!

As Chocky says, most of us believed we needed the cushion of two goals to get clear of Wrexham (1976/77) wss the first season the Football League had introduced Goal Difference - before then it was Goal Average - and Palace had lost out a few times because of that system).

What some people do not realise is that Rotherham nearly overtook Wrexham and Palace on the last day.

Luckily for us, that was the final score too and because Mansfield got a last minute winner, we had more points than Wrexham, so the extra goal did not matter!

Mansfield's win also denied Brighton being champions and they had to settle for runners-up.

A great day all round!

In those days as a kid my Dad would take me to some reserve games, if he didn't want to go himself he would drop my friend and me off and leave us to our Bovril. Yes early teenagers drinking Bovril at football. But for some reason I wasn't able to be at the reserve game that was played whilst we waited for the Mansfield game to be resolved.

Somewhere in this forum James has great photos from that game when half the first team played in the reserve game. I had to sit in my room listening on LBC which was awful until the report from Wrexham that Mansfield had scored at the end.

ElwissAtMemphis
04-10-2016, 10:31 PM
I just stumbled across this on-line which hopefully brings back good memories for those that went (I didn't). Why it's called "The Town" I don't know ...

http://footballprogrammecentre.co.uk/forum/userpix/2317_MAY__11577_Wrexham_v_CP_1.jpg

Martinsleftpeg
04-10-2016, 10:46 PM
That was one of the best ever nights as CPFC fan. I was at uni in Manchester and we had about 30 Palace fans from the NW attending not all students. We used to go to all the local games at Bury Preston Blackburn etc and the Sunderland 6 th round game was brilliant but that topped it all. I remember getting back to Manchester and entering a club where things all became slightly blurry but what I recall of it was memorable. However as I hit my head on the low gantry jumping up and down when Rachid scored I may have done permanent damage ....I think only winning the FAC v the wankers could top that evening although Burnley 1979 ran it close

dave_who_ru
04-10-2016, 10:56 PM
Great home form that season:

Played 23 - won 17 - drew 5 - lost 1 (we lost home and away to Chester City 2-1)

I seem to recall that some fans got so desperate near the end that they tried to pull down the fencing in order to invade the pitch and get the game abandoned.

bigGcpfc
04-10-2016, 10:57 PM
A few of us went up to Wrexham for the Mansfield game. Surprised to find around 50 other palace there as well. Had a great day topped off with the Mansfield players clapping us, shaking our hands and saying they knew we were there and tried a little harder for our sake. One of my top 5 football days.

davech
04-10-2016, 10:59 PM

A great day all round!

And, exactly two years later TO THE DAY history was to repeat itself when we beat Burnley 2-0 in THAT game to deny Br*ght*n the champion's spot again . They were in mid-air en route to their end of season celebrations when the pilot had the sad :sob: task of breaking the news to them that Palace had won and were Champions, not them :lux::D

delboy01
04-10-2016, 11:43 PM
I vaguely remember, though a drunken stupor that at half time several police in crash helmets kicked the crap out of some young palace lads for absolutely no reason. Then gave it the biggen to the palace who were absolutely incensed. There was a silent pause for about 10 seconds then palace piled into them. Someone kicked one of them in the head when he went down and his helmet came off!!! I thought his head was in it!!!

Never seen OB leave so fast. Then a sergeant came to the front and was looking at everyone and got hit by a chess burger square in the chest!! :D

Finally, after the game ended two palace managed to climb over the fence and were fronted by 10 Wrexham who were coming across the pitch. The two palace looked at each other and then ran at the Wrexham who scattered!!!!

Outside was shocking with the wrexham OB getting in rows with palace all the way back to the station. Hardly a Wrexham fan insight!

If anyone else saw any of this could they confirm that I'm not going senile!!!

One of the best away days ever. :lux:

Chocky
05-10-2016, 03:41 PM
And, exactly two years later TO THE DAY history was to repeat itself when we beat Burnley 2-0 in THAT game to deny Br*ght*n the champion's spot again . They were in mid-air en route to their end of season celebrations when the pilot had the sad :sob: task of breaking the news to them that Palace had won and were Champions, not them :lux::D

My Birthday was the day after the Wrexham and Burnley games, I had a couple of great days in the late 70s. Well sort of, they were pre pub days, the latter only just though.

Way back then though the two years in between seemed a very long time whereas the two recent trips to Wembley in three years seemed about one year at most.

Archiebald Leitch
06-10-2016, 11:01 PM
i still want to know who nicked my sandwiches on the train back from Wrexham.

Mr Bo Jangles
07-10-2016, 11:31 AM
Great night, long way by coach as too young to drive but well worth it. Parents (big Palace fans) picked me up from the ground at about 4am. Several other cars there collecting others and remember getting off the coaches and everyone singing. Seem to remember the Clifton being open and a few people piling in there but may have been another match. Remember the first team playing in the reserve match on the Saturday at SP, big crowd all with radios in hand and the players kept coming over to find out the score of the Mansfield Wrexham match. Really good times.

exiledeagle
07-10-2016, 04:54 PM
Wonderful night and I even went to the Wrexham v Mansfield game , happy days - I would say better than todays football ( money obsessed ) .

cad
07-10-2016, 06:24 PM
This post prompted to re-visit the files (apologies for the quality). This one a shot of Ian Evans, challenged by Wrexham's Billy Ashcroft(?) with Micky Thomas and Dave Swindlehurst in the background

cad
07-10-2016, 06:27 PM
Steve Perrin going close - not the goal.

dave_who_ru
07-10-2016, 06:27 PM
This post prompted to re-visit the files (apologies for the quality). This one a shot of Ian Evans, challenged by Wrexham's Billy Ashcroft(?) with Micky Thomas and Dave Swindlehurst in the background

Micky Thomas already looking overweight before he joined Man United.

Was on a train back to London just after he signed for them. United playing Chelsea and in the days when you could mix and chat to the players. My lasting memory was a very corpulent Louis Edwards, the then chairman. crashed out after tucking into another meal.

cad
07-10-2016, 06:29 PM
Phil holder gets in a shot. Still daylight, early first half

cad
07-10-2016, 06:34 PM
Goal celebration. I think the last goal. Bad lights. I think about three weeks at f2.8

Sam Spade
07-10-2016, 06:35 PM
i still want to know who nicked my sandwiches on the train back from Wrexham.

Wouldn't have bothered if I'd known they were Marmite.

cad
07-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Palace fans celebrate one of the first half goals. A lot of Bay City Rollers attire in there

budgie
07-10-2016, 07:31 PM
Palace fans celebrate one of the first half goals. A lot of Bay City Rollers attire in there

Can see myself on the extreme left of the picture with the scarf, it was a great day, not sure my brother agreed, he had his nose split open by one of North Wales finest, but to be fair the Met that were up there treated him well.

dave_who_ru
07-10-2016, 08:16 PM

Great find, did we really dress like that :o

orp pisshead1
07-10-2016, 08:23 PM
Great night

Was you based in N Wales then? Would've made it even better!.

CP Satellite
07-10-2016, 09:41 PM
Can see myself on the extreme left of the picture with the scarf, it was a great day, not sure my brother agreed, he had his nose split open by one of North Wales finest, but to be fair the Met that were up there treated him well.

Got a vague recollection that when Wrexham scored, although that end was entirely Palace fans, there was line of local Police and some of them celebrated.

Cue fists flying and several copper's helmets flying everywhere, some smashing into the very low roof.

Younger fans who went to Peterborough or Dover in recent seasons can possibly get an idea of how intense the atmosphere was - although there were around 20, 000 Wrexham fans on the other three sides (although Wrexham actually had two smaller stands at irregular areas back then, a truly weird ground!

orp pisshead1
07-10-2016, 11:26 PM
A few of us went up to Wrexham for the Mansfield game. Surprised to find around 50 other palace there as well. Had a great day topped off with the Mansfield players clapping us, shaking our hands and saying they knew we were there and tried a little harder for our sake. One of my top 5 football days.

Wow that's superb:p

orp pisshead1
07-10-2016, 11:27 PM
Got a vague recollection that when Wrexham scored, although that end was entirely Palace fans, there was line of local Police and some of them celebrated.

Cue fists flying and several copper's helmets flying everywhere, some smashing into the very low roof.

Younger fans who went to Peterborough or Dover in recent seasons can possibly get an idea of how intense the atmosphere was - although there were around 20, 000 Wrexham fans on the other three sides (although Wrexham actually had two smaller stands at irregular areas back then, a truly weird ground!

How many Palace travelled?. Cheers in advance :p

Battle EAGLE
08-10-2016, 04:37 PM
One of my most memorable Palace games, left the Royal Navy that day, straight up to London, met up with mates then train to Wales absolutely mental day.

biggus mickus
08-10-2016, 05:53 PM

My oh my. But we were young. Cheers Neil.

Went back uo there later for the court case. I was a witness by the way.

budgie
08-10-2016, 09:44 PM
My oh my. But we were young. Cheers Neil.

Went back uo there later for the court case. I was a witness by the way.

You wouldn't have been alone though Mick, there were several Palace fans who had to go back, a friend of mine went back and stayed overnight, and had a run in with the locals again, as they weren't impressed with the cockneys nicking there ladies.

cranesparkeagle
08-10-2016, 09:57 PM
As an 8 year old boy I remember going to bed knowing we were 1-0 up and had the agonising wait until seeing the next morning's paper to find out the result! Imagine a world like that now....

I had that experience with the world cup quarter final with West Germany. The Germans had got back to 2-2 though and we know the rest

CP Satellite
08-10-2016, 11:04 PM
How many Palace travelled?. Cheers in advance :p

The coach we went up to Wrexham on for the Mansfield game wasn't full from memory, probably less than 30, although Cad who posted those great photos on this thread would have a better idea - he was the coach steward.

I have heard that other Palace fans travelled separately to the game, but at a guess, as someone else has already said I think it would not be too much more than 50.

It was my first full season watching Palace home and away (I was only 13 at the start of the season) - the only game I missed was a midweek one at Sheffield Wendesday and we had a game abandoned at Lincoln when we were 1-0 up, I could not make the rescheduled game - which Palace lost 3-2 and apparently those that did got a 'reception' from the Lincoln fans!

A great season, so many memories, Palace juniors won the FA Youth Cup too, I think I was going to a Palace match every three or four days in April and May of 1977, we also travelled to Tottenham West Brom and QPR to follow the juniors as well as the First team games.

Battle EAGLE
09-10-2016, 07:27 PM
After the abandoned Lincoln game , it was a free for all on way back to station no police very scary memories of that game. Palace were given the run around that day.

delboy01
09-10-2016, 08:13 PM
I seem to recall that a furniture removal van full of palace went to Wrexham. When they opened the backdoor loads of smoke came out followed by dozens of pissed up palace!!! :D

Gazza2
09-10-2016, 09:34 PM
It was my old mans turn to leave a couple of minutes early to get back to station and check the tickets of those going home on the football special.
Yours truly being only 9 and still gutted about Wrexham equalising chose to leave with him rather than stay and watch the last few minutes with our friends.
A tough lesson learned about leaving early.
Which still didn't prevent me from almost floating home due to mixture of elation and tiredness from Selhurst station to our house in Holmesdale Rd in the early hours.

OldPeanutSeller
09-10-2016, 10:10 PM
Great home form that season:

Played 23 - won 17 - drew 5 - lost 1 (we lost home and away to Chester City 2-1)

I seem to recall that some fans got so desperate near the end that they tried to pull down the fencing in order to invade the pitch and get the game abandoned.

I have a strange memory of the Chester away game. When we scored, everyone was celebrating and it felt like it was raining. We were in a covered end so this seemed odd. Looking at the rain on my coat, it turned out to be rust dislodged from the roof of the stand from the vibration caused by the goal celebration.

Chocky
12-10-2016, 06:16 PM
Did anyone get the following season's Rothman's Year Book where at the front they had diagrams of the third and fourth goal in amongst other 'memorable goals of the season'?

orpingtoneagle
14-10-2016, 09:09 PM
one of my all time favourite Palace games.

cruising at 2-0, pegged back to 2-2 with no time left and two goals in last 90 seconds....your couldn't make it up. That little covered end behind the goal was feckin mental.

I was 15 and bunked off school (mum wrote me a sick note)....along with around a dozen others from our school.....when we went back in the teachers all knew we hadnt been sick (knowing we were Palace fans)

Great night

Am Phibian
18-10-2016, 05:58 PM
The coach we went up to Wrexham on for the Mansfield game wasn't full from memory, probably less than 30, although Cad who posted those great photos on this thread would have a better idea - he was the coach steward.

I have heard that other Palace fans travelled separately to the game, but at a guess, as someone else has already said I think it would not be too much more than 50.

It was my first full season watching Palace home and away (I was only 13 at the start of the season) - the only game I missed was a midweek one at Sheffield Wendesday and we had a game abandoned at Lincoln when we were 1-0 up, I could not make the rescheduled game - which Palace lost 3-2 and apparently those that did got a 'reception' from the Lincoln fans!

A great season, so many memories, Palace juniors won the FA Youth Cup too, I think I was going to a Palace match every three or four days in April and May of 1977, we also travelled to Tottenham West Brom and QPR to follow the juniors as well as the First team games.

I had heard it was hundreds of Palace fans who went on the saturday but we will never know. Wouldn't surprise me though as the usual away following was immense and very loyal so one more trip would not have been a biggie.

Here's a report from a Mansfield perspective on the final game http://www.chad.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/stags-nostalgia-wrexham-0-mansfield-town-1-14th-may-1977-1-3782018

Am Phibian
18-10-2016, 06:06 PM
one of my all time favourite Palace games.

cruising at 2-0, pegged back to 2-2 with no time left and two goals in last 90 seconds....your couldn't make it up. That little covered end behind the goal was feckin mental.

I was 15 and bunked off school (mum wrote me a sick note)....along with around a dozen others from our school.....when we went back in the teachers all knew we hadnt been sick (knowing we were Palace fans)

Great night

Such an amazing game though wasn't there. We had to win by two clear goals and by jove we did, Just. Have ordered the programme on ebay. £1. A incredibly cheap price to pay for memories of a game that will stay with me forever.

Battle EAGLE
14-11-2016, 04:40 PM
Amazing game Wrexham, can even remember the hot pork pies that was on sale. Absolute fantastic night to be had by all, nothing like it for me.

LONDONMAN
14-11-2016, 05:09 PM
I had heard it was hundreds of Palace fans who went on the saturday but we will never know. Wouldn't surprise me though as the usual away following was immense and very loyal so one more trip would not have been a biggie.

Here's a report from a Mansfield perspective on the final game http://www.chad.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/stags-nostalgia-wrexham-0-mansfield-town-1-14th-may-1977-1-3782018

Reading that article got me thinking, Wrexham had Graham Whittle, younger brother of Alan, a Palace hero of our famous Cup run, which was just the season before.

Also on the Wrexham staff - not sure if was at the game, the legendary Bill Shankly, who had rather sadly ended his long association with Liverpool, was helping Wrexham in advisory role that season.

Wrexham had some great players at the time, players like Joey Jones and Mickey Thomas who went on to play at the highest level for Liverpool and Man Utd.

Rod Arnold was a great keeper too - seem to remember he was the sort who would have a rspport with the crowd too - great character as you can see from that match report.

palacemetros
14-11-2016, 11:32 PM
Rod Arnold was a great keeper too - seem to remember he was the sort who would have a rspport with the crowd too - great character as you can see from that match report.

New years day up at Mansfield we were singing "We all agree, Rodney Arnold is Magic". King Kenny put one past him that day. Great memories.

Am Phibian
16-11-2016, 12:54 PM
Got the programme in the post. Had a good read. Amazing how understated and calm everything is considering the importance of the match. Especially for Wrexham who can't have graced the second division much by then.

LONDONMAN
16-11-2016, 01:31 PM
Got the programme in the post. Had a good read. Amazing how understated and calm everything is considering the importance of the match. Especially for Wrexham who can't have graced the second division much by then.

It would have made spectacular viewing if something like Sky Sports was around back then!

It was not just the game itself, the whole build up to it over the preceding weeks and then the final Saturday round of games, of which Palace were not involved in because of playing a re-arranged home League fixture earlier in the season made it all the more dramatic.

It can't be emphasized enough how incredible the task was for Palace, as in those days it was still just two points for a win and we were a good 5 points behind Wrexham with just four games to play, having been soundly thrashed 4-1 at Port Vale and having George Graham (who was still a decent but ageing midfield lynchpin for Palace) sent off - it looked beyond us.

The home game with Wrexham was just a week before, our last but one home game - the atmosphere at that game was cracking too, obviously playing and beating Wrexham home and away was absolutely key, but we beat Chesterfield away 2-0 and Lincoln at home 4-1 before the Wrexham game.

I honestly don't think we will see the like of it again - at the same time, the Palace Youth team had a series of fixtures, including trips to places like Tottenham, Everton and QPR, with two Finals (not just the famous Youth Cup Final win over Everton, but QPR away in the Southern Junior Floodlight Cup, which was still a full strength team with the likes of Sansom, Fenwick, Nicholas, Gilbert, Murphy, Hilaire, Walsh etc. - which we narrowly lost, coincidentally because a certain Clive Allen scored all the QPR goals!) - all inside a month at the end of the season - what a season - it also included the infamous 5 games with Brighton, two league and three cup ties, featuring the Mullery Meltdown at Stamford Bridge - and two great games with Liverpool - 0-0 at Anfield and 2-3 at home, against a side that went on to lift the European Cup at the end of that season too.

Nth Kent Eagle
16-11-2016, 02:00 PM
After the abandoned Lincoln game , it was a free for all on way back to station no police very scary memories of that game. Palace were given the run around that day.

It was in January, freezing and touch and go whether the game would go ahead. As a result there were only just over 200 on the special that day. The local paper had erroneously suggested there would be 2 train loads of Cockney troublemakers coming up to their city, hence the above average number of unpleasant Lincoln elements around. Millwall played up there in a night match later that season and also found the same.

Wiltshire_red
07-02-2018, 11:46 PM
Wrexham fan here, I remember that game for different reasons, I think I was close to tears after that finale, but what a game. We managed to do it the next year in style, but how the fortunes of the two teams has differed over the past 40 years.

Hopefully, this year we get to our rightful place in the football league and you manage to stay in the PL.

Here’s some footage of that fateful night in 1977 from the Big Match on the following Sunday, starts with a chat with Terry Venables and Kenny Sansom at 33:45 and then the goals.

Enjoy !!!!!

Maiden Eagle
08-02-2018, 08:51 AM
Wrexham fan here, I remember that game for different reasons, I think I was close to tears after that finale, but what a game. We managed to do it the next year in style, but how the fortunes of the two teams has differed over the past 40 years.

Hopefully, this year we get to our rightful place in the football league and you manage to stay in the PL.

Here’s some footage of that fateful night in 1977 from the Big Match on the following Sunday, starts with a chat with Terry Venables and Kenny Sansom at 33:45 and then the goals.

Enjoy !!!!!

Thanks for that, but where's the link ?

CP Satellite
08-02-2018, 09:56 AM

Enjoy !!!!!

Well I certainly enjoy remembering that match WR, we had quite a battle with Wrexham in the closing weeks of that season, I think it was the last one of having just 2 points for a win and with 5 games to go, after we had been thrashed 4-1 at Port Vale (who only just stayed up!) we were 5 pts behind with four games left - it looked impossible.

The key thing was we had to play Wrexham home and away in those last four games, as well as Chesterfield away and Lincoln at home and we won all four.

We still had to rely on Mansfield doing us a favour on the last Saturday though.

Palace had completed their season in midweek because of a playing a rescheduled match earlier in the season. Some of us traveled up to Wrexham twice in the space of three days, Wednesday to watch Palace win 4-2 and then the Saturday, when Mansfield clinched a 1-0 win in the closing minutes (a draw would have been enough for us, although Rotherham nearly pipped us on goal difference, winning 4-1 and needing a 7 goal margin - one of the most complicated yet thrilling finishes I can remember in over 45 years of following Palace.

olly cromwell
08-02-2018, 10:00 AM

Wow I was on that coach as well (thought NE was the steward though could be wrong) it was an unofficial "official" coach with people booking on the coaches back from the first game ( remember someone being sick on the back seat) and we left Wrexham quite late
The police were quite confused with how to deal with 3 sets of fans and we ended up in the side terrace (we got moved from the away end as it was full of Mansfield, celebrating the title if memory serves)
So many memories, amazing how we finished our season at Wrexham and they still had one more game, mind you Wrexham really did chuck promotion away that season

OldPeanutSeller
08-02-2018, 10:03 AM
The goals are here (kindly posted by WANPALACE on another thread)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzFwj2n1Hy0

33.44 mins (Goals actually start at 36.38 in after the Venables/Sansom chat)

CP Satellite
08-02-2018, 10:17 AM
Wow I was on that coach as well (thought NE was the steward though could be wrong) it was an unofficial "official" coach with people booking on the coaches back from the first game ( remember someone being sick on the back seat) and we left Wrexham quite late
The police were quite confused with how to deal with 3 sets of fans and we ended up in the side terrace (we got moved from the away end as it was full of Mansfield, celebrating the title if memory serves)
So many memories, amazing how we finished our season at Wrexham and they still had one more game, mind you Wrexham really did chuck promotion away that season

From memory, Neil Everitt used to share the coach stewarding with big Gerry Mansfield (very aptly named for that trip!) - I vividly remember stopping at a sevice station and enjoying a laugh with some Wolves fans (they had just won the 2nd Division Title ahead of Chelsea and Clough’s Forest.

I believe our coach broke down and we limped into Birmingham and got a works bus home to complete an incredible day - our last ever trip in Division Three!

cad
08-02-2018, 10:47 AM
From memory, Neil Everitt used to share the coach stewarding with big Gerry Mansfield (very aptly named for that trip!) - I vividly remember stopping at a sevice station and enjoying a laugh with some Wolves fans (they had just won the 2nd Division Title ahead of Chelsea and Clough’s Forest.

I believe our coach broke down and we limped into Birmingham and got a works bus home to complete an incredible day - our last ever trip in Division Three!

Coach actually broke down when we got to Wrexham. After the game we waited for a replacement coach in the waiting room at Wrexham bus garage, which was just a short distance down the road from the ground. Most had drink on the bus, but at that time I was the only one who had a half bottle of whisky on me. We celebrated with that until the replacement bus turned up.

We stopped at a pub in West Bromwich on the way back.

A sad footnote is that, although we had lost touch, heard that Gerry passed away last year.

Wiltshire_red
08-02-2018, 10:48 AM
Thanks for that, but where's the link ?

Sorry about that, but it won’t allow to add a link until I’ve done more posts.

However, someone else has kindly added.

Wiltshire_red
08-02-2018, 11:01 AM
A sad memory from that time, John Lyons, the player who scored our equaliser at 2-2, when we thought we had the point we needed for promotion, committed suicide 5 years later in 1982, at the young age of 26. He was playing for Colchester at that time, and had also played for Millwall and Cambridge after leaving Wrexham.

N Herts Eagle
08-02-2018, 11:37 AM
Sure this has been discussed before but there is the forgotten side . The final game of the season sure Wrexham losing was key but there was another side who could of snatched it Rotherham needed to win by I think 6 goals maybe seven which was pretty far fetched and dismissed except the hit three in the first half , before running out of steam.

Nigelbrag
08-02-2018, 12:24 PM
A sad memory from that time, John Lyons, the player who scored our equaliser at 2-2, when we thought we had the point we needed for promotion, committed suicide 5 years later in 1982, at the young age of 26. He was playing for Colchester at that time, and had also played for Millwall and Cambridge after leaving Wrexham.

That is very sad to hear, i had not heard of that tragic event before which makes it even more sad to read about it now, i remember when he scored and thinking oh no we let it all slip away after that long coach journey, but then we finished the game in real style.
A very belated message to the late John Lyons R.I.P
I still remember that memorable game and what a fantastic Palace turn out on was it a Friday night? if my memory serves me right, but remember having to wait until Saturday for was it Mansfield's result, again not quite sure after all those years ago.

Wiltshire_red
08-02-2018, 12:39 PM
That is very sad to hear, i had not heard of that tragic event before which makes it even more sad to read about it now, i remember when he scored and thinking oh no we let it all slip away after that long coach journey, but then we finished the game in real style.
A very belated message to the late John Lyons R.I.P
I still remember that memorable game and what a fantastic Palace turn out on was it a Friday night? if my memory serves me right, but remember having to wait until Saturday for was it Mansfield's result, again not quite sure after all those years ago.

It was a Wednesday night and we were playing Mansfield on the Saturday and had to win, but lost 1-0. It was that 4th goal that really killed us off, as it meant we could no longer draw at home to Mansfield. The game that nightmares are made of for us Wrexham fans.

Am Phibian
08-02-2018, 02:10 PM

Fantastic. Have waited 40 years to see half-decent highlights of the game. Cheers.

Am Phibian
08-02-2018, 02:20 PM
It was a Wednesday night and we were playing Mansfield on the Saturday and had to win, but lost 1-0. It was that 4th goal that really killed us off, as it meant we could no longer draw at home to Mansfield. The game that nightmares are made of for us Wrexham fans.

Saw you got over 8,000 for a game in The National League recently. Impressive.

Billy Ashcroft was my favourite player of yours back in the day. Thunderous centre-forward who made Jeff Lynne look not at all hirsute.

Wiltshire_red
08-02-2018, 02:29 PM
Saw you got over 8,000 for a game in The National League recently. Impressive.

Billy Ashcroft was my favourite player of yours back in the day. Thunderous centre-forward who made Jeff Lynne look hirsute.

Yes, that was against Tranmere, good game, good atmosphere, and 2 teams that should be back in the football league....hopefully next season

Yes he was a big old fashioned centre forward who left for Middlesbrough at the end of the 77 season along with our manager John Neal.

CP Satellite
08-02-2018, 06:07 PM
Coach actually broke down when we got to Wrexham. After the game we waited for a replacement coach in the waiting room at Wrexham bus garage, which was just a short distance down the road from the ground. Most had drink on the bus, but at that time I was the only one who had a half bottle of whisky on me. We celebrated with that until the replacement bus turned up.

We stopped at a pub in West Bromwich on the way back.

A sad footnote is that, although we had lost touch, heard that Gerry passed away last year.

Sad to learn about Gerry passing away, I always remember him with Mary McCulloch at the time, she is sister to Adrian, a massive Palace fan that still travels to all the matches.

Remember John Lyons, but sad to hear about his death too, if I’m correct, he was still at Wrexham the following Summer (1978) when Palace, Charlton, Millwall and Wrexham all toured in Sweden pre-season (although the English and Welsh teams did not play eachother!) - it was the first time I can remember Palace wearing advertising (on the back of the shirts).

Other names that spring to mind, Mel Sutton, Arfon Griffiths, Bobby Shinton and Graham Whittle, younger brother to Alan, who had three highly memorable seasons at Palace between 1973-1976, a name older fans will never forget - ‘We Want Whittle’ still sticks in my mind, in the days when all four sides at Selhurst used to join in together!

CP Satellite
08-02-2018, 06:21 PM

A footnote about that 4th Palace goal, before the match, as it was Palace’s last, we felt we had to have a two goal margin of victory and then rely on Wrexham not beating Mansfield in their last match - I personally had freaked out when Wrexham came back from 2-0 down to equalise at 2-2 with about 10 minutes left, I had only just turned 14 and couldn’t bring myself to watch the rest of the match, just staring disconsolately at the floor!

I only got to see those two late goals from Jeff Bourne and Rachid Harkouk over 28 years later when they were put on the Palace Centenary DVD in 2005!

Peter Aslett
08-02-2018, 06:31 PM
I was on the coach to Wrexham that night. Great memories tinged with sadness as a few weeks later Mickey Howe sadly died at the tragic young age of 29 one of my travelling companions. My coach got stoned on the motorway slip road by some disgruntled Wrexham supporters. Can't think Why?.

CP Satellite
08-02-2018, 06:45 PM
I was on the coach to Wrexham that night. Great memories tinged with sadness as a few weeks later Mickey Howe sadly died at the tragic young age of 29 one of my travelling companions. My coach got stoned on the motorway slip road by some disgruntled Wrexham supporters. Can't think Why?.

I remember our coach on the way up to the game, approaching a car, whose driver door was flung open just as we were passing it - the door came clean off, but the coach just carried on it's merry way!

Always remember when Wrexham got those two goals back, the local Police in the Palace end celebrated them - and got a good pasting from some of our supporters - things used to happen in the 70s that would look impossible now!

laths
08-02-2018, 07:10 PM
The Mansfield match I must have gone through 40 roll ups in my bedroom listening to the radio .

Louis
08-02-2018, 09:57 PM

Great clip of Venables, Sansom and Brian Moore in the TV studio.

Mr Bo Jangles
08-02-2018, 10:22 PM
The Mansfield match I must have gone through 40 roll ups in my bedroom listening to the radio .

Was at the Palace ground on the Saturday, the 1st team played for the reserves and there was a big celebration after, several thousand fans there. The players kept coming over to the fans to get updates from the radio coverage of the Wrexham match.
Great day as was the Wrexham match, was young then and parents came and picked me up from the ground at about 4-30am. What a night, the real ups and downs of being a Palace fan in a 10 minute spell.

bigGcpfc
08-02-2018, 10:59 PM
Was at the Palace ground on the Saturday, the 1st team played for the reserves and there was a big celebration after, several thousand fans there. The players kept coming over to the fans to get updates from the radio coverage of the Wrexham match.
Great day as was the Wrexham match, was young then and parents came and picked me up from the ground at about 4-30am. What a night, the real ups and downs of being a Palace fan in a 10 minute spell.

As I said earlier I was 1 of around 50 Palace at the Mansfield game. We could only afford to go to one of the games so decided to wait and see if we beat Wrexham first. A great day so many memories and to think that was only to go up to the 2nd division. The passion in those days was on another level. Can't help but feel the premiership has sucked some of the life out of today's football.

Am Phibian
08-02-2018, 11:15 PM
As I said earlier I was 1 of around 50 Palace at the Mansfield game. We could only afford to go to one of the games so decided to wait and see if we beat Wrexham first. A great day so many memories and to think that was only to go up to the 2nd division. The passion in those days was on another level. Can't help but feel the premiership has sucked some of the life out of today's football.

The Prem, too many foreign players and all-seater stadiums. Just sterilised everything and has made things more detached. Apart from the over the top hooliganism it was just much more fun the whole football experience back in the day.

Wiltshire_red
09-02-2018, 12:20 AM
After contributing and reading your comments on this thread, I started a similar thread on the Wrexham RedPassion site, although over 40 years ago, Wrexham fans also remember that game clearly, but as you can imagine with vastly different feelings.

Although only a 3rd division game the passion from both sets of fans is football as it was always meant to be.

I can’t post a link yet, if you are interested in the comments you will have to addd www and copy and paste this into your browser.

http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/111342-wrexham-v-crystal-palace-1977-a.html

smithfieldeagle
09-02-2018, 10:50 AM
Glad you posted this. I was only 12 at the time and remember it well but everyone i mention it to thinks I'm talking bollocks

eltron
09-02-2018, 12:42 PM
After contributing and reading your comments on this thread, I started a similar thread on the Wrexham RedPassion site, although over 40 years ago, Wrexham fans also remember that game clearly, but as you can imagine with vastly different feelings.

Although only a 3rd division game the passion from both sets of fans is football as it was always meant to be.

I can’t post a link yet, if you are interested in the comments you will have to addd www and copy and paste this into your browser.

http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/111342-wrexham-v-crystal-palace-1977-a.html

That is a really interesting read - and really impressive that so many remember vividly the circumstances - ie a 1 goal defeat and Wrexham only needed a point against Mansfield - 2 goals and they would need a win.

Am Phibian
09-02-2018, 01:40 PM
Just read a bit of Terry Venables biography and interestingly over a 37 year managerial career that out of his top games he says, for him, the satisfaction, the Wrexham v Palace game is up there standing equally alongside a Barcelona one and one other.

Coastal Palace
09-02-2018, 01:44 PM
Just read a bit of Terry Venables biography and interestingly over a 37 year managerial career he says that out of his top games he says, for him, the satisfaction, the Wrexham v Palace game is up there standing equally alongside a Barcelona one and one other.

Probably only said that to sell his book to a few more Palace fans.

My older brother was there that night and he reckons the only game that surpassed that feeling of total euphoria was the game at Villa Park.

Am Phibian
09-02-2018, 01:51 PM
Probably only said that to sell his book to a few more Palace fans.

My older brother was there that night and he reckons the only game that surpassed that feeling of total euphoria was the game at Villa Park.

You old cynic. Nah, he meant it. The euphoria as you say must have been off the scale. He didn't actually win much in the end El Tel for such a long career so memorable nights like that must have stayed with him all these years.

Coastal Palace
09-02-2018, 01:56 PM
You old cynic. Nah, he meant it. The euphoria as you say must have been off the scale. He didn't actually win much in the end El Tel for such a long career so memorable nights like that must have stayed with him all these years.

Yeah I suppose you're right, AP.
Like every supporter who remembers his reign in the good times, I can't help but wonder how far we could've gone had he not been a dodgy Dagenham Dave shyster bag o' shyte.

M3 Eagle
09-02-2018, 11:43 PM
He said that at the open day before the season started when he came back with Goldberg in charge, said it was his favourite game ever, but then he would wouldn't he.

cad
11-02-2018, 12:36 PM
A few memories from those games:

Never have I seen fortunes change in such a crucial game change in such a short space of time as it did in that Wrexham game. Wrexham were just minutes from promotion at our expense having clawed their way back from 2-0 down. The Wrexham fans were already celebrating when Harkouk and Bourne struck. The change in mood between the two ends of the ground was astonishing.

Those who were not at the Wrexham v Mansfield game will not have known how close we came to failing. Wrexham completely dominated the first half. How they didn't score is a mystery. Then, just before the interval, Mansfield keeper Rod Arnold got clattered (I think by Wrexham's Billy Ashcroft). He was still down and being attended to long after all the other players had left the field. There is s a story somewhere about his concussion and the fact that he barely remembers the second half. Wrexham continued in the second half where they left off in the first without being able to find a breakthrough. Then in the last 10 minutes or so, Mansfield came back and, for the first time, you felt that Palace would do it. When Ernie Moss hit the winner, it was a feeling of astonishing joy and relief.
There is a story here and pic of Rod Arnold: https://www.chad.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/stags-nostalgia-wrexham-0-mansfield-town-1-14th-may-1977-1-3782018

ian king
11-02-2018, 04:27 PM
Those who were not at the Wrexham v Mansfield game

....might have been at Selhurst Park for the reserve game v Hereford (won 4-0) to hear what was going on at Wrexham. Most of the first team were there in the main stand and a crowd of around 4,000 I am told.

cad
11-02-2018, 11:37 PM
....might have been at Selhurst Park for the reserve game v Hereford (won 4-0) to hear what was going on at Wrexham. Most of the first team were there in the main stand and a crowd of around 4,000 I am told.

I heard it was a great day. One of those very few occasions where it would have been great to have been in two places at the same time.

However, as I said, most don't realise how in control Wrexham were in that game. Top performance from Mansfield keeper Rod Arnold but how Wrexham didn't score I will never know. Without doubt, the most tension-filled game I have ever attended – and that includes those do or die affairs at Stockport and Sheffield Wednesday.

Billy's Boots
13-02-2018, 02:08 PM
Coincidently, the other day I stumbled across the programme I kept from the home game against Wrexham.

Before kick off, we were 4 points behind Wrexham with 3 games to play (Wrexham also had a game in hand on us). So I guess it isn’t any real surprise that in TV’s programme notes he described our promotion hopes as 'very slender' before publicly venting his anger over the recent loss at Port Vale.

Different times...

sylvan eagle
15-02-2018, 12:05 PM
Coincidently, the other day I stumbled across the programme I kept from the home game against Wrexham.

Before kick off, we were 4 points behind Wrexham with 3 games to play (Wrexham also had a game in hand on us). So I guess it isn’t any real surprise that in TV’s programme notes he described our promotion hopes as 'very slender' before publicly venting his anger over the recent loss at Port Vale.

Different times...

You wouldn’t get away with that now

exiledeagle
07-02-2021, 01:04 AM
Not sure if this is posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBK45Vle11M

Bipe
07-02-2021, 12:26 PM
That game was a couple of years before my time but I have heard the legend many times. Good quality footage including an epic long throw from Sansom!

stamford triumph
07-02-2021, 02:13 PM
For me, that game consisted of a note with the full-time score scribbled on it shoved under my door by my brother. I was 12 at the time and found it hard to get to sleep afterwards. I then remember playing football in my garden on a hot, sunny day with the portable radio tuned to Radio 2 for the updates of the crucial Wrexham v Mansfield game.

I think those games and the Queen’s Silver Jubilee street parties are about the only things I remember from 1977!

ElwissAtMemphis
08-02-2021, 12:42 AM
Jesus, Caswell should really have saved their first. He could have just taken a step to his right and comfortably caught it at chest height. He hardly covered himself in glory for the second either. To be fair, it was his debut. Has another Palace player made his first appearance in such a critical match?

That said, Wrexham's keeper was probably culpable for our third. He ought to have punched it clear but instead got in a tangle with a couple of defenders and just pawed it downwards leaving him stranded off his line with the ball bouncing in the area. A salutary lesson in the importance of a keeper clearly calling when coming for the ball.

If the bloke on the line had a bit more of the cynicism of the modern footballer he would probably have tipped it over the bar and they could have taken their chances with a last minute penalty. It would have run the clock down a few more vital seconds too.

But on such fine margins are destinies forged in this game.

Old Joe Paxton
08-02-2021, 01:24 AM
Wow great footage
I was ten at time. Did pnt realise or forgot Samson played in third div, assume first season.
And ne PF er heard of Carswell

CP Satellite
08-02-2021, 08:32 AM
Wow great footage
I was ten at time. Did pnt realise or forgot Samson played in third div, assume first season.
And ne PF er heard of Carswell

Kenny Sansom, I think I’m right in saying - played his debut for Palace right at the end of the 1974/75 season, so 1976/1977 was his third season, he played in all senior matches for Palace in 76/77 (55) - remarkable as he was still 17 at the start of the 76/77 season! Anyone who saw him play even then, how mature and intelligent he was as a player, right from the start.

Peter Caswell had to step in for Tony Burns, our regular keeper, who had replaced Paul Hammond mid-way through the 76/77 season (Hammond had signed for Tampa Bay Rowdies).

There’s story here too - it transpires that Hammond’s sale to Tampa provided the funds for Palace to sign striker Jeff Bourne from Derby. Again, Palace fans of the era will gladly tell you how pivotal Bourne was in helping Palace to promotion - think players like Paul Stewart and Kevin Phillips in later seasons.

Remarkably, Burns got injured in the warm-up before our very last home match of the 76/77 season. In the days of just one substitute, midfielder Nicky Chatterton had to play the entire match in goal for Palace, which we thankfully won 4-1 with no major scares, apart from the warm-up, of course!

That is why Caswell got pushed in goal for the very last match away to Wrexham, I think he only made another couple of appearances in his whole career for Palace and his career rather fizzled out, but what a night for a debut - and I just remember how sick I was when Wrexham made it 2-2 near the end - I couldn’t watch the rest of the match - including the miraculous turnaround in stoppage time!

Olympian2
08-02-2021, 09:00 AM
Kenny Sansom, I think I’m right in saying - played his debut for Palace right at the end of the 1974/75 season, so 1976/1977 was his third season, he played in all senior matches for Palace in 76/77 (55) - remarkable as he was still 17 at the start of the 76/77 season! Anyone who saw him play even then, how mature and intelligent he was as a player, right from the start.

Peter Caswell had to step in for Tony Burns, our regular keeper, who had replaced Paul Hammond mid-way through the 76/77 season (Hammond had signed for Tampa Bay Rowdies).

There’s story here too - it transpires that Hammond’s sale to Tampa provided the funds for Palace to sign striker Jeff Bourne from Derby. Again, Palace fans of the era will gladly tell you how pivotal Bourne was in helping Palace to promotion - think players like Paul Stewart and Kevin Phillips in later seasons.

Remarkably, Burns got injured in the warm-up before our very last home match of the 76/77 season. In the days of just one substitute, midfielder Nicky Chatterton had to play the entire match in goal for Palace, which we thankfully won 4-1 with no major scares, apart from the warm-up, of course!

That is why Caswell got pushed in goal for the very last match away to Wrexham, I think he only made another couple of appearances in his whole career for Palace and his career rather fizzled out, but what a night for a debut - and I just remember how sick I was when Wrexham made it 2-2 near the end - I couldn’t watch the rest of the match - including the miraculous turnaround in stoppage time!

I must have been there but I don't remember that at all - that's nuts! Why would Caswell not have been at the ground in case of just such a scenario? Or had we already 'named our 12'? In which case we would have played the game with Chatterton in goal & no sub on the bench!

Lingfield Eagle
08-02-2021, 09:26 AM
I was 17 at that time. In all my years of going to school I'd never had a day off because of strike action. That day the dinner ladies went on strike and we were told the week before that the school would be closed. I remember ringing my dad up at break time telling him we could go. Incredible game, when Wrexham pulled it back to 2-2 it meant they would go up. We were behind the goal surrounded by celebrating Welshmen until those incredible last 90 seconds. Got home at 4 in the morning, went to school the next day and there were a few of us with bleary eyes.

KYLIE MINEAGLE
08-02-2021, 10:43 AM
Jesus, Caswell should really have saved their first. He could have just taken a step to his right and comfortably caught it at chest height. He hardly covered himself in glory for the second either. To be fair, it was his debut. Has another Palace player made his first appearance in such a critical match?

That said, Wrexham's keeper was probably culpable for our third. He ought to have punched it clear but instead got in a tangle with a couple of defenders and just pawed it downwards leaving him stranded off his line with the ball bouncing in the area. A salutary lesson in the importance of a keeper clearly calling when coming for the ball.

If the bloke on the line had a bit more of the cynicism of the modern footballer he would probably have tipped it over the bar and they could have taken their chances with a last minute penalty. It would have run the clock down a few more vital seconds too.

But on such fine margins are destinies forged in this game.

Indeed . We have been in the Prem for 8 seasons, Wrexham have had similar in the National League.

ElwissAtMemphis
08-02-2021, 12:00 PM
In that Lincoln match, didn't Chatterton replace Burns at half-time? I'm not certain but I have a vague recollection of Chatterton getting emrgency goalkeeping practice on the pitch during the break while the rest of the team were in the dressing room. Burns is certainly credited as having made an appearance in The Complete Record. (Irrelevant bit of trivia, that match was Graham Taylor's penultimate match as Lincoln manager; he joined Watford in the summer.)

Twiggy
08-02-2021, 12:03 PM
....and am i correct that whittle was playing for them? ... and scored the screamer from 30 yards or were my eyes and ears deceiving me?

Sleeping Giant
08-02-2021, 12:22 PM
Graham Whittle used to play for Wrexham. He scored according to my Rothmans from that year. The book has “8 great goals of 1976/77” At the start. Diagrams are drawn of the goals (oh how we used to live). One is Bettega, Italy v England, one Brian Little from the League Cup final.......one Jeff Bourne v Wrexham :)

CP Satellite
08-02-2021, 01:09 PM
I must have been there but I don't remember that at all - that's nuts! Why would Caswell not have been at the ground in case of just such a scenario? Or had we already 'named our 12'? In which case we would have played the game with Chatterton in goal & no sub on the bench!

In that Lincoln match, didn't Chatterton replace Burns at half-time? I'm not certain but I have a vague recollection of Chatterton getting emrgency goalkeeping practice on the pitch during the break while the rest of the team were in the dressing room. Burns is certainly credited as having made an appearance in The Complete Record. (Irrelevant bit of trivia, that match was Graham Taylor's penultimate match as Lincoln manager; he joined Watford in the summer.)

Elwiss is correct, it was a half-time injury, not sure how my memory had Burns struggling before the match. Nicky Chatterton was our substitute, as was sometimes his fate - from memory his midfield position used to alternate between several players during that season, Ricky Heppolette, Steve Perrin, Barry Silkman and even David Swindlehurst got to wore Nick’s prefered Palace No.7 shirt, though I’m not clear that they all played the same midfield attacking role he usually had when he was in the starting 11.

Silkman, for example, took over where Peter Taylor had left off when Taylor signed for Spurs at the start of the 1976/77 season, on the wide left, but not quite with the same devastating effect, until Rachid ‘Rash the Smash’ Harkouk made the No 11 shirt his own midway through the season, after that had been passed around players such as Phil Holder, Neil Smillie (once I think) and Heppolette also.

ian king
08-02-2021, 04:00 PM
In that Lincoln match, didn't Chatterton replace Burns at half-time? I'm not certain but I have a vague recollection of Chatterton getting emrgency goalkeeping practice on the pitch during the break while the rest of the team were in the dressing room.

Reports say Burns had a torn thigh muscle.

Paxton
08-02-2021, 04:16 PM
This may be a false memory, but I have a feeling that a keeper (very possibly Tony Burns) was injured during the pre-match warm up before a different game that season - which I think may have been a home game against Charlton in something called the Kent County Challenge Cup (i.e. a glorified PSF).

CP Satellite
08-02-2021, 06:05 PM
This may be a false memory, but I have a feeling that a keeper (very possibly Tony Burns) was injured during the pre-match warm up before a different game that season - which I think may have been a home game against Charlton in something called the Kent County Challenge Cup (i.e. a glorified PSF).

You are correct Paxton. Burns injured a knee before kick off in 0-1 hone defeat to Charlton - in the short lived Kent Challenge Cup, which I think contained Millwall and Gilingham as the other ‘challengers’.

This was nearly two years before that match v Lincoln in May 1977 though.

This report is from the Sunday People dated August 3rd 1975:

https://i.ibb.co/LvWy4Zh/0221-C36-F-B052-40-EA-A409-3238-F19-B0740.jpg

Nth Kent Eagle
08-02-2021, 06:17 PM
I'm struggling with memory a bit here. I didn't go to that 4-2 Wrexham game but did attend the away game up there in the next season. In that 4-2 match it looks like we were undercover but the next season I am sure we were in the open.

CP Satellite
08-02-2021, 06:34 PM
I'm struggling with memory a bit here. I didn't go to that 4-2 Wrexham game but did attend the away game up there in the next season. In that 4-2 match it looks like we were undercover but the next season I am sure we were in the open.

The next away game at Wrexham took place in 1981. The ground had changed a bit by then I think. It was also a record breaking match for Palace - our first away win in nearly two seasons - stretching back to early in 1980 when we beat Bristol City at Ashton Gate - no wins away in 1980/81 and then it took until October of the 81/82 season to win at Wrexham - which made that 4-2 win in May 1977 seem a lifetime away even then - so much had happened to Palace between the two games!

Nth Kent Eagle
08-02-2021, 06:40 PM
The next away game at Wrexham took place in 1981. The ground had changed a bit by then I think. It was also a record breaking match for Palace - our first away win in nearly two seasons - stretching back to early in 1980 when we beat Bristol City at Ashton Gate - no wins away in 1980/81 and then it took until October of the 81/82 season to win at Wrexham - which made that 4-2 win in May 1977 seem a lifetime away even then - so much had happened to Palace between the two games!

https://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=261&team=Wrexham

Ah. It wasn't the next season but the season after. October 1978 and we drew 0-0.

CP Satellite
08-02-2021, 06:58 PM

Ah. It wasn't the next season but the season after. October 1978 and we drew 0-0.

Yes, sorry you’re right - I think the home game in 78/79 was our lowest gate of the season too, around 15,000 when of course we ended with that 51,000 plus v Burnley a few months later. Wrexham used to be frequently in Europe due to the old Welsh Cup, which they didn’t even have to win to get into the old European Cup Winners Cup, teams like Shrewsbury and Hereford often got to thr Final, but even if they won, the Welsh side always qualified for Europe!

Olympian2
08-02-2021, 07:21 PM

I went to the 0-0 game in 78. Around that time, our family of four used to go to places where Palace were playing. Mum & sis would drop me & Dad off near the ground, go shopping in Wrexham/Mansfield/Bristol/Cambridge town centre & then pick us up again after the game before driving home.

All I can remember of that Wrexham game is that it was a bit intimidating, it felt like we were under the cosh for most of the game & that we sat on wooden benches. But all of that could be absolute bollocks.

alex9642
10-02-2021, 09:13 PM

palacemetros
11-02-2021, 12:27 AM
Try this........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBK45Vle11M

(just noticed already posted by in-exile)

ElwissAtMemphis
11-02-2021, 12:46 AM
Why did we not have a fixture on the final Saturday of that season? Three other teams that didn't play that weekend were Lincoln City, Northampton Town and Peterborough United. Lincoln had played Peterborough on the same night as Wrexham v Palace so presumably that had been brought forward for some reason making the missing fixture Northampton v Palace.

We played at Northampton (an ignominious 0-3 defeat) on a Tuesday night, March 15th. There were just 3 other games that evening so it wasn't a full midweek schedule. So was that the fixture that was originally scheduled for the final Saturday and if so, why was it brought forward?

TrickyD
11-02-2021, 01:02 AM
Watching the YouTube footage brings it all back. Not sure about the parenting, allowing me and my friends to attend at thirteen, but it's still my favourite footballing memory. I guess it always will be.

CP Satellite
11-02-2021, 08:31 AM
Why did we not have a fixture on the final Saturday of that season? Three other teams that didn't play that weekend were Lincoln City, Northampton Town and Peterborough United. Lincoln had played Peterborough on the same night as Wrexham v Palace so presumably that had been brought forward for some reason making the missing fixture Northampton v Palace.

We played at Northampton (an ignominious 0-3 defeat) on a Tuesday night, March 15th. There were just 3 other games that evening so it wasn't a full midweek schedule. So was that the fixture that was originally scheduled for the final Saturday and if so, why was it brought forward?

Looking at the fixture list issued at the start of the season, Wrexham away was meant to be played on Saturday 8th January 1977. However, following our classic three matches with Brighton in the FA Cup Rd 1 and swiftly thrashing Enfield 4-0 at home in Round Two, Palace traveled to play the FA Cup Round Three tie v Liverpool at Anfield in January instead (drawing 0-0 away and losing the replay three days later in front of 42,664 at Selhurst Park.

The Northampton away game was played on it’s originally arranged date of Tuesday 15th March (just three days after we spanked Brighton 3-1 at home in the League) - our away form that season was erratic and we lost 3-0 to Northampton, who were near the bottom of Division Three and also in huge financial trouble at the time too.

It seems Palace always were scheduled to finish the season on Saturday 7th May - the Wrexham away game was actually added on after our last scheduled fixture, which was Lincoln City at home on 7th May.

Bit of a mystery to me why the rest of the League finished on 14th May - perhaps someone else has a take on it?

ian king
11-02-2021, 01:51 PM

The Northampton Town programme for 15th March shows their last game to be on 7th May (away). Could it be that was when Northampton shared with the County Cricket Club and they took precedence.

CP Satellite
11-02-2021, 01:57 PM
There was one other strange anomaly to the 1976/77 season Palace fixtures that I’m not sure has happened to us before or since that season regarding away matches - I’m not sure if it had a bearing in drawing up the fixtures.

We were the only London club in the division. Our nearest games were Gillingham, Brighton, Aldershot and Reading.

ElwissAtMemphis
11-02-2021, 02:10 PM
I think that's the answer. Apart from a couple of exceptions, Northampton Town never played home matches in May while they shared The County Ground with Northamptonshire CCC. Their seasons invariably ended with their last match in April or with the last 2 or 3 games being played away. My guess is that the fixture computer (or whatever it was in those days) had Northampton Town v Crystal Palace on the final Saturday which would always have to be rescheduled before the season had even started.

Nth Kent Eagle
11-02-2021, 02:13 PM
Was it also something to do with the Lincoln match being called off the second half up there due to ice and the match having to be replayed leading to a backlog of fixtures?

CP Satellite
11-02-2021, 04:51 PM
Was it also something to do with the Lincoln match being called off the second half up there due to ice and the match having to be replayed leading to a backlog of fixtures?

I went to the original Lincoln away fixture that season. Strange not just because of the abandonment with 29 minutes to go and Palace leading 1-0 (we lost the rearranged fixture 3-2) - the Palace goalscorer was Ricky Heppolette, the Indian midfielder, formerly of Preston and Orient, who left us for Chesterfield in February 1977, having only joined Palace from Orient in October 1976. That was Ricky’s only goal for us!

Apparently, Heppolette was Terry Venables first signing as Palace manager - I believe his midfield role was eventually taken by the veteran George Graham.

The other strange thing about the match - it was the first that I can remember being sponsored - by local firm Ross Frozen Foods. The ref abandoned the match due to frost forming in the pitch making the surface unsafe!

I notice Northampton also had their home match at home to eventual Champions Mansfield abandoned that same day (4th Dec 1976 - Palace beat Brighton in that infamous FA Cup 1st Round 2nd Replay on Monday 6th Dec) - so not sure how that affected the fixture list in the long run?

I noticed from reports that on the final day of the season, Ricky Heppolette was in the thick of the action for Chesterfield v Brighton, where he was reported as having several ‘clashes’ with Brighton players - Chesterfield drew 1-1, this result, coupled with Mansfield’s win at Wrexham, meant Brighton missed out on the 3rd Division Title, as well as Mansfield’s last minute goal sealing Palace’s promotion on the final day.

StevePlus
11-02-2021, 05:42 PM
The rule that all teams' final games in a division had to be played at the same time wasn't brought in for years after that.

philaire
15-02-2021, 05:24 AM
I think that's the answer. Apart from a couple of exceptions, Northampton Town never played home matches in May while they shared The County Ground with Northamptonshire CCC. Their seasons invariably ended with their last match in April or with the last 2 or 3 games being played away. My guess is that the fixture computer (or whatever it was in those days) had Northampton Town v Crystal Palace on the final Saturday which would always have to be rescheduled before the season had even started.I can confirm from my Rothmans that Northampton vs Palace was scheduled for that last round of the season.

My memories of the Wrexham game are somewhat different. The early edition of The News, Adelaide's (long defunct) evening paper, came out around lunchtime. I almost choked on my lunch, such was the excitement on reading that 4-2 scoreline. The following Saturday night (well, early Sunday morning), my ear was glued to my short-wave radio listening to BBC World Service for the Wrexham-Mansfield game. My heart skipped a beat late in the second half when the host suddenly stated "... and there's been a goal at Wrexham!" Imagine my sheer relief when it was Mansfield who had scored.

philaire
15-02-2021, 05:33 AM
Here's the visual of the 4th goal from Rothmans.