PDA

View Full Version : Youth Team '93-'94

griggs
11-09-2016, 11:41 AM
Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to recall that in the same year as we won the 1st Division to get promotion back to the Premier League the youth team also won either their League or a cup. Unfortunately after a series of house moves I can't find the programmes which would confirm this, nor can I find anything on the Internet.

I seem to remember the captain had a stonking Nigel Martyn style moustache but other than that none of their names.

Did any of this team go on to make it professionally with us or anyone else?

ElwissAtMemphis
11-09-2016, 04:45 PM
I saw that team beat Dulwich Hamlet 5-0 away in the FA Youth Cup. According to The Complete Record, we got knocked out 0-2 away to Portsmouth in the next round. The scorers are credited as Smith 3, Dixon, Harris.

Eric Smith was the moustached captain and a big bruiser of a centre back who never made the first team.

The player who really stood out that evening was Brian Launders. He was by far the best player on the pitch and in my opinion at least, looked like he'd go on to be a decent player. Less than a year later, Alan Smith gave him his debut at home to Chelsea in The Premiership but rather unfairly substituted him at half-time. He made 3 more appearances as a substitute over the next year before being released. He showed up for 2 games about 4 years later on a weekly contract during the nadir of the post-Goldberg administration.

No idea who Dixon was but the other scorer was presumably Jason Harris who made 4 appearances as a sub for Palace before leaving for Orient whence he became a journeyman striker for the next 10 years at several clubs with an apparent penchant for northern non-league teams like Harrogate, Nuneaton and Bridlington.

Another player who had a decent career from the Palace team that evening was Tony Scully. His first team Palace career was just 3 substitute appearances but he went on to make over 250 appearances for 14 different clubs including Manchester City and QPR.

As for other cup success, we apparently reached the semi-final of the prestigious Surrey Senior Cup, losing 0-4 to Sutton United after triumphing over the mighty Chertsey Town and Metropolitan Police. The scorers listed in The Complete Record, excluding the above, were Thompson and Little (neither of whom ever played for the 1st team), Barnes (presumably Andy who made a solitary substitute appearance on the final day of 91/92 at QPR) and by far the best player of this bunch ever to play for Palace, George Ndah. He'd have been too old to count as a Youth player by then and had already made several first team appearances.

Anyway, that's the best I can do. Hardly a vintage crop but a few characters nonetheless.

the elusive k
11-09-2016, 05:19 PM
...The scorers listed in The Complete Record, excluding the above, were Thompson and Little (neither of whom ever played for the 1st team)

I'd imagine that was Niall Thompson who came to our youth team from PSV Eindhoven's and was already a full Canadian international.

tony 1947
11-09-2016, 05:49 PM
Glenn Little was one who went away without as mentioned playing in the first team. He had a very good career after coming back to England from Glentoran. Played over 200 games for Burnley also many for other clubs including Reading

jaspercpfc
11-09-2016, 08:40 PM
You had the likes of Moralee, Whyte, Gordon, Newman, Ndah, Southgate, Watts, Osborn who broke through from 91-93 but we had a barren spell for about 18 months there after.

Niall Thompson was a Canadian forward but did little to impress.
Jimmy Glass suffered various injuries.
Jamie Vincent must have been in/around the youth team at the time, he broke through in 95'
As ElwissAtMemphis touched upon Eric Smith was a bruiser, and I think he ended up at Dulwich where Jim Cannon was then manager.
Was Rory Ginty involved or did he come across from Ireland to link up?

cappuccinoeagle
11-09-2016, 09:16 PM
Don't think Glass ever made a first team appearance for Palace,his most famous moment must be coming up for a corner in the last minute and scoring for Carlisle and keeping them in the league

gold76
12-09-2016, 06:52 PM
I saw that team beat Dulwich Hamlet 5-0 away in the FA Youth Cup. According to The Complete Record, we got knocked out 0-2 away to Portsmouth in the next round. The scorers are credited as Smith 3, Dixon, Harris.

Eric Smith was the moustached captain and a big bruiser of a centre back who never made the first team.

The player who really stood out that evening was Brian Launders. He was by far the best player on the pitch and in my opinion at least, looked like he'd go on to be a decent player. Less than a year later, Alan Smith gave him his debut at home to Chelsea in The Premiership but rather unfairly substituted him at half-time. He made 3 more appearances as a substitute over the next year before being released. He showed up for 2 games about 4 years later on a weekly contract during the nadir of the post-Goldberg administration.

No idea who Dixon was but the other scorer was presumably Jason Harris who made 4 appearances as a sub for Palace before leaving for Orient whence he became a journeyman striker for the next 10 years at several clubs with an apparent penchant for northern non-league teams like Harrogate, Nuneaton and Bridlington.

Another player who had a decent career from the Palace team that evening was Tony Scully. His first team Palace career was just 3 substitute appearances but he went on to make over 250 appearances for 14 different clubs including Manchester City and QPR.

As for other cup success, we apparently reached the semi-final of the prestigious Surrey Senior Cup, losing 0-4 to Sutton United after triumphing over the mighty Chertsey Town and Metropolitan Police. The scorers listed in The Complete Record, excluding the above, were Thompson and Little (neither of whom ever played for the 1st team), Barnes (presumably Andy who made a solitary substitute appearance on the final day of 91/92 at QPR) and by far the best player of this bunch ever to play for Palace, George Ndah. He'd have been too old to count as a Youth player by then and had already made several first team appearances.

Anyway, that's the best I can do. Hardly a vintage crop but a few characters nonetheless.

Could it have been Franklyn Dixon?

I remember he scored about 5 or 6 in a Capital League game..

That was in an old Palace yearbook which the club produced in the early 90's

gold76
12-09-2016, 06:59 PM
http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/31-Players/6805-trial-of-nerves

Wee snippet on Franklyn Dixon here..

As an aside can't be many who have scored 6 in a senior game..

Although didn't Dobbie hat a hatful in a pre-season game against a German team a couple of years back?

tony 1947
13-09-2016, 02:17 PM
The Palace youth team that beat Dulwich Hamlet 5-0 was : Roberts, White, Byrne, Boxall, Smith, Quinn, Eddie Dixon, Little (Charlton), Launders, Jason Harris (Hall), Scully.

Sydenham Eagle
13-09-2016, 02:44 PM
Who was the other Harris, the one with the longest throw in I've ever seen? Seem to remember him launching them from just inside the other half in a cup game and creating chaos in the penalty area. Unfortunately, he couldn't match it when he needed to use his feet! In these days of talent ID he would surely have been taken to an athletics track and handed a javelin!?

jaspercpfc
13-09-2016, 02:49 PM
Who was the other Harris, the one with the longest throw in I've ever seen? Seem to remember him launching them from just inside the other half in a cup game and creating chaos in the penalty area. Unfortunately, he couldn't match it when he needed to use his feet! In these days of talent ID he would surely have been taken to an athletics track and handed a javelin!?

That was Richard (now club promoter) I remember going to Prenton Park in May 2000, and they had Dave Challenor who had built up a reputation as having the longest throw in the game. Richard picked up the ball by the touch line threw it in, and you could here the Tranmere fans gasping in shock lol He was a dreadful footballer but a really nice guy, and it only highlights the minor miracle Sir Steve did with that group.

gold76
13-09-2016, 05:46 PM

Richard Harris (not the actor!)

Edit: As Jasp has mentioned :)

gold76
13-09-2016, 05:49 PM
The Palace youth team that beat Dulwich Hamlet 5-0 was : Roberts, White, Byrne, Boxall, Smith, Quinn, Eddie Dixon, Little (Charlton), Launders, Jason Harris (Hall), Scully.

Danny Boxall would have made it as a pro- but for terrible injuries..

Jim Cannon
13-09-2016, 06:34 PM

Craig White. A local lad and a Palace fan. I used to know him. After getting released he played for Dulwich Hamlet and then Croydon, as well as having a day job which is how I met him. He ended up going over to the USA I think with some kind of sporting scholarship to a university sometime around 1995 or 1996, no idea what happened to him after that. He may even lurk here sometimes for all I know. Nice fella.

Mr Mojo Risin
13-09-2016, 08:10 PM

Remember Boxall played a few times when I first started going to Palace. Wikipedia informs me that he is now a male model!

gilesy14
14-09-2016, 09:01 AM

I remember watching Boxall make his league debut along with Rob Quinn - at least I think it was their debuts. Pretty sure it was an end of season game & as a result pretty meaningless - however Boxall looked a real prospect. He was rapid & bombed it up & down the right from right back. Shame he didn't go on to play more - in fairness, he had an impressive Edworthy to dislodge.

Just seen he was one of the youngsters Sir Steve & Noades brought with them to Brentford...& he's also now a male model (just seen this has been mentioned above)!

jaspercpfc
14-09-2016, 09:16 AM
I remember watching Boxall make his league debut along with Rob Quinn - at least I think it was their debuts. Pretty sure it was an end of season game & as a result pretty meaningless

That may have been Norwich at home in the one nil defeat before we went into the play offs? Our first home game of the 96/97 season against Oldham, Boxall was our best player on the pitch and was so nippy.
Quinn was a funny one, an extremely composed player, and I think playing alongside Andy Roberts benefited him but he never seemed to kick on, and another one Noades took across to Brentford. Quinn is now involved with the Palace youth team and a really good guy, I ran a training session alongside him last year.
I remember watching Brentford a few times in and around the 99' period, and Tony Folan another youngster who barely kicked a ball in anger for us, looked a world beater for them :)

jaspercpfc
14-09-2016, 09:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXZz69u5juw

Have a look at goals B,C & E

gilesy14
14-09-2016, 09:30 AM
That may have been Norwich at home in the one nil defeat before we went into the play offs? Our first home game of the 96/97 season against Oldham, Boxall was our best player on the pitch and was so nippy.
Quinn was a funny one, an extremely composed player, and I think playing alongside Andy Roberts benefited him but he never seemed to kick on, and another one Noades took across to Brentford. Quinn is now involved with the Palace youth team and a really good guy, I ran a training session alongside him last year.
I remember watching Brentford a few times in and around the 99' period, and Tony Folan another youngster who barely kicked a ball in anger for us, looked a world beater for them :)

Yeah, Norwich definitely rings a bell!

Was it not Quinn who gave away the penalty in the playoff final for Leicester to equalise?

Like you say, decent player but didn't really kick on after some promising early appearances...saying that, he often had to play in a back line containing David Tuttle & Leif Anderson!

jaspercpfc
14-09-2016, 10:20 AM
Yeah, Norwich definitely rings a bell!

Was it not Quinn who gave away the penalty in the playoff final for Leicester to equalise?

That was Edworthy who chopped down Izzett

Maidstoned Eagle
14-09-2016, 05:46 PM
That was Richard (now club promoter) I remember going to Prenton Park in May 2000, and they had Dave Challenor who had built up a reputation as having the longest throw in the game. Richard picked up the ball by the touch line threw it in, and you could here the Tranmere fans gasping in shock lol He was a dreadful footballer but a really nice guy, and it only highlights the minor miracle Sir Steve did with that group.

I think that was our home game. He also threw one into the net against Leicester, and it should have been given as Arphexad (Leicester keeper) admitted he'd touchedcto ball as it went in.

jaspercpfc
14-09-2016, 06:44 PM
I think that was our home game. He also threw one into the net against Leicester, and it should have been given as Arphexad (Leicester keeper) admitted he'd touchedcto ball as it went in.

it was definitely the last game at Prenton Park in a 2-1 win, we did play them in a cup game in 99/00 September ish? 3-3 when Peggy Arphexad was stretchered off from a Bradbury challenge.

ian king
15-09-2016, 08:42 PM
it was definitely the last game at Prenton Park in a 2-1 win, we did play them in a cup game in 99/00 September ish? 3-3 when Peggy Arphexad was stretchered off from a Bradbury challenge.

It was the game Leicester used three goalkeepers on 14th September 1999 but Richard Harris not involved.

Arphexad started but replace at h-t by Tim Flowers. On the hour mark Bradbury challenged Flowers for the ball and Flowers stretchered off.

Leicester had used all three subs by then and Zagorakis took over in goal. Leicester were then leading 3-1 but goals from Zhiyi and Mullins made for a frenetic last fifteen minutes