15-09-2016, 09:36 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CsXw3xIWIAEfbQ9.jpg:large

Discuss...

SilentAssassin
15-09-2016, 09:54 AM
Everyone should channel their inner Chris Armstrong! :cool:

Eagle Kneevil
15-09-2016, 09:59 AM
Is that a kale-spirullina smoothie he's been supping? Say it ain't so, Chris!

Eaglesmad123
15-09-2016, 10:04 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CsXw3xIWIAEfbQ9.jpg:large

Discuss...

What is there to discuss

jaspercpfc
15-09-2016, 10:05 AM
Liam's out for some early morning fishing, looking for cheap thrills again :S:

Eagle's Nest
15-09-2016, 10:07 AM
Is this a whoosh?

Jim Cannon
15-09-2016, 10:08 AM
Can't be him, where's the famous coco pop gone?

prizesucker
15-09-2016, 10:18 AM
what a player he was for us.....even if this is a whoosh.

SilentAssassin
15-09-2016, 10:22 AM
Well this is most certainly him

http://i63.tinypic.com/1588hzm.jpg

gilesy14
15-09-2016, 10:23 AM
Liam's out for some early morning fishing, looking for cheap thrills again :S:

I don't really know what you're getting at with that comment?

jaspercpfc
15-09-2016, 10:23 AM
it really isn't, look at the nose. Chris hated the press and media and always like his anonymity.

gilesy14
15-09-2016, 10:25 AM
it really isn't, look at the nose. Chris hated the press and media and always like his anonymity.

Just FYI...

https://twitter.com/FYPFanzine/status/776291361196740610

https://twitter.com/FYPFanzine/status/776350725454589952

Thanks for the rep comment though. Maybe remove that little turd that's stuck up your arse.

jaspercpfc
15-09-2016, 10:29 AM
Just FYI...

https://twitter.com/FYPFanzine/status/776291361196740610

https://twitter.com/FYPFanzine/status/776350725454589952

Thanks for the rep comment though. Maybe remove that little turd that's stuck up your arse.

You've had history of posting pictures of Benteke & co standing outside with a random fan and then put you're own twist on things to reel people in, so forgive my me on that one.
I'm 100% convinced, that is not Armstrong.

SilentAssassin
15-09-2016, 10:31 AM

Those that took the picture that the op posted said it is him. No reason to believe that they are 'having people on', but **** knows.

Also that picture of Chris Armstrong I posted was doing the rounds last season.

gilesy14
15-09-2016, 10:32 AM
You've had history of posting pictures of Benteke & co standing outside with a random fan and then put you're own twist on things to reel people in, so forgive my me on that one.
I'm 100% convinced, that is not Armstrong.

Lighten up FFS.

Ash
15-09-2016, 10:33 AM
That is never Chris Armstrong. I know he's a rasta these days but that geezer at wembley looks absolutely nothing like him.

Jim Cannon
15-09-2016, 10:34 AM
For what it's worth, I don't think Giles is winding us up, but the nose is wrong, I don't think it's Armstrong

SilentAssassin
15-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Ha, apparently the photo is of Congo Natty. Stil not sure of the one I posted though, I felt sure it was him before.

andyocpfc
15-09-2016, 10:43 AM
I don't understand, who cares whether it is or isn't?! Is that person doing something wrong or something? If it is CA, is he not allowed to dress like that or go to Wembley? Bizarre

gilesy14
15-09-2016, 10:45 AM
I don't understand, who cares whether it is or isn't?! Is that person doing something wrong or something? If it is CA, is he not allowed to dress like that or go to Wembley? Bizarre

Who said that?! Where's anyone said he shouldn't be allowed in Wembley?! Are people going to accuse me of trying to introduce apartheid next?! **** me, this place is full of sensitive drama queens now isn't it?!

My point was, & hopefully anyone with the remotest bit of intelligence would realise this, if that is Chris Armstrong - he looks ever so slightly different to when he played for us, no? Just a little teeny weeny bit?

firesign
15-09-2016, 10:48 AM
Andy Thorn looks pretty different these days too

Jim Cannon
15-09-2016, 10:49 AM

Not to mention Dave Madden.

Zohar's Penalty
15-09-2016, 10:52 AM
Never understood why he is not regarded in the same way as Wright, Bright, AJ, Freedman, Murray etc. Was an absolute hero of mine from 92-94, yet he is rarely mentioned

AddiscombeEagle
15-09-2016, 10:57 AM
Never understood why he is not regarded in the same way as Wright, Bright, AJ, Freedman, Murray etc. Was an absolute hero of mine from 92-94, yet he is rarely mentioned

Other than Wrighty, I think he is the best forward I have seen in my time up Palace.

Definitely better than AJ, Freedman and Murray in my eyes.

Dorking .Eagle
15-09-2016, 10:58 AM
I have no doubt CA looks like the guy on the OP, however it does leave you wondering what has happened to his coco pop

jaspercpfc
15-09-2016, 11:02 AM

He left Selhurst under a cloud, even when many at the club had stood by him during the failed drugs test. Sure he gestured towards the crowd after he scored at home to West Ham in a must win game in May 95í where as Dowie/Houghton were celebrating the goal in front of the Whitehorse.
One of the best headers of the ball Iíve seen up top (watch the third goal at home to Pompey 93/94 to complete his hat-trick)
Amazingly quick over 10 yards, always excelled when he played off a taget man (Paul Stewert, Dowie & later Sheringham at Spurs) should have achieved more.

Ash
15-09-2016, 11:04 AM
Ha, apparently the photo is of Congo Natty. Stil not sure of the one I posted though, I felt sure it was him before.

That's him. Congo Natty, previously Rebel MC. Definitely not Chris Armstrong you blind morons!!!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/quietus_production/images/articles/12795/Congo_Natty_1373537429_crop_550x386.jpg

andyocpfc
15-09-2016, 11:04 AM
Who said that?! Where's anyone said he shouldn't be allowed in Wembley?! Are people going to accuse me of trying to introduce apartheid next?! **** me, this place is full of sensitive drama queens now isn't it?!

My point was, & hopefully anyone with the remotest bit of intelligence would realise this, if that is Chris Armstrong - he looks ever so slightly different to when he played for us, no? Just a little teeny weeny bit?

I wasn't really having a pop or meaning to get at you. I was merely asking the relevance to the picture as you just put discuss. You have explained now, no probs. Yes, it does look a bit like him alright we probably need a more recent picture of him to compare with. I take it he's always been a Spurs fan?

Zohar's Penalty
15-09-2016, 11:12 AM
He left Selhurst under a cloud, even when many at the club had stood by him during the failed drugs test. Sure he gestured towards the crowd after he scored at home to West Ham in a must win game in May 95í where as Dowie/Houghton were celebrating the goal in front of the Whitehorse.
One of the best headers of the ball Iíve seen up top (watch the third goal at home to Pompey 93/94 to complete his hat-trick)
Amazingly quick over 10 yards, always excelled when he played off a taget man (Paul Stewert, Dowie & later Sheringham at Spurs) should have achieved more.

I heard they drug tested Congo Natty by mistake to be fair

colonel
15-09-2016, 11:49 AM

I loved that header and have never been able to understand how he got so much power on it with the direction the cross came from.
But I also can't find any footage of that game anywhere (Southgate scored a screamer too if I recall)

Timbo
15-09-2016, 11:55 AM

What possible reasons could you have for thinking he might be doing something wrong, or should not be at Wembley, or could the subject of a legitimate, interesting thread posted on here?

Bizarre!

CPFC.1990
15-09-2016, 11:56 AM
He was pure class. Could score all sorts of goals. Remember his performance against Portsmouth and we won 5-1. The diving header he scored was one of the greatest headers you will ever see.

He was a joy to watch.

CPFC.1990
15-09-2016, 11:58 AM
Btw, what's the picture of a Spurs fans on the opening post got to do with Chris Armstrong?

Radders
15-09-2016, 11:59 AM
**** me, this place is full of sensitive drama queens now isn't it?!

Says the man who started his own flouncing thread!:D

Jim Cannon
15-09-2016, 11:59 AM
I wasn't really having a pop or meaning to get at you. I was merely asking the relevance to the picture as you just put discuss. You have explained now, no probs. Yes, it does look a bit like him alright we probably need a more recent picture of him to compare with. I take it he's always been a Spurs fan?

Armstrong is from Newcastle so doubt he is a spurs fan

Jim Cannon
15-09-2016, 12:01 PM
I loved that header and have never been able to understand how he got so much power on it with the direction the cross came from.
But I also can't find any footage of that game anywhere (Southgate scored a screamer too if I recall)

He also scored another corker of a header v Millwall in a 1-0 win IIRC. Also at Holmesdale end

gilesy14
15-09-2016, 12:04 PM

You're obsessed with me. It's cute - a little creepy, but cute.

Dal
15-09-2016, 12:08 PM
What a player he was.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
15-09-2016, 12:15 PM
He also scored another corker of a header v Millwall in a 1-0 win IIRC. Also at Holmesdale end

I remembered it more as a well placed downward header than a diving one but this is the game you mean.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-battling-stewart-the-unlikely-hero-1369384.html

Radders
15-09-2016, 12:24 PM
You're obsessed with me. It's cute - a little creepy, but cute.

Ahhh how lovely. Youre not going to flounce again are you?

gilesy14
15-09-2016, 12:25 PM
Ahhh how lovely. Youre not going to flounce again are you?

No. I had enough private messages/rep messages saying not to let a nobhead like you get the better of me :hi:

Radders
15-09-2016, 12:36 PM
No. I had enough private messages/rep messages saying not to let a nobhead like you get the better of me :hi:

Nobhead eh? Been practising I see.

Private messages? Oh thats really sweet. Must have melted your little heart.

Just for the record though pumpkin, you called me out for something, were wrong but rather than swallow it you had a hissy fit and ran away. Not my fault. Good to see you laying the blame elsewhere. Poor lad.:hi:

gilesy14
15-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Nobhead eh? Been practising I see.

Private messages? Oh thats really sweet. Must have melted your little heart.

Just for the record though pumpkin, you called me out for something, were wrong but rather than swallow it you had a hissy fit and ran away. Not my fault. Good to see you laying the blame elsewhere. Poor lad.:hi:

I forgive you.

Les Butler
15-09-2016, 12:42 PM
This place has gone mad ...

gilesy14
15-09-2016, 12:44 PM
It can't be true - The Croydon Advertiser are now reporting it...

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/you-8217-ll-never-believe-what-this-former-crystal-palace-and-tottenham-star-looks-like-now/story-29718951-detail/story.html

Jim Cannon
15-09-2016, 12:44 PM
I remembered it more as a well placed downward header than a diving one but this is the game you mean.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-battling-stewart-the-unlikely-hero-1369384.html

Thats the one, defintely a diving header

jaspercpfc
15-09-2016, 12:47 PM

:lux::lux: TBF Gilesy does speak sense most of the time and knows his stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUhQ22qa5Xo – go to 13mins 15seconds
Even now the header still looks sublime, as you say to get that power and direction is terrific technique. The low stooping header he got at Goodison in 92’ was of similar prowess.
People rave about 90/91as our best season, but pound for pound 93/94 gives it a run for its money in my book.

Radders
15-09-2016, 12:51 PM
Thats the one, defintely a diving header

Yep! It was indeed.

Armstrong was a good guy. May be posted elsewhere on here but he came to our local over in Locksbottom when we had a fund raiser for an injured player from our team. He lived in Orpington so was pretty close. He stayed for a good while, was an absolute gent and if we had been able to keep him longer at Palace I think his career stats would be a lot better than they are.

Tob bloke. Top player

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
15-09-2016, 12:51 PM

Well he didn't help us stay up and although I think he was great for us, things may have been very different if he hadn't smoked those joints (we may well have stayed up in 95).

From my memory barely scored at the start of that season (maybe the weed din't help?) but was superb again when he came back.

Radders
15-09-2016, 12:56 PM
TBF Gilesy does speak sense most of the time and knows his stuff.

Hmmm.

jaspercpfc
15-09-2016, 12:56 PM
From my memory barely scored at the start of that season (maybe the weed din't help?) but was superb again when he came back.

In his defence, he was a confidence based player, and Smith didn't help matters in handling various situations. We had a decent run in October and Early November 94' when he was up top with Preece, but it was no coincidence his form improved as soon as a recognised target man came on board. His record for cup goals 94/95 was extremely good even if he'd been on a barren run in the league.

Radders
15-09-2016, 12:59 PM
Well he didn't help us stay up and although I think he was great for us, things may have been very different if he hadn't smoked those joints (we may well have stayed up in 95).

Think he had trouble scoring in the league but was scoring in the cup.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
15-09-2016, 01:00 PM
In his defence, he was a confidence based player, and Smith didn't help matters in handling various situations. We had a decent run in October and Early November 94' when he was up top with Preece, but it was no coincidence his form improved as soon as a recognised target man came on board. His record for cup goals 94/95 was extremely good even if he'd been on a barren run in the league.

Yeah, I agree. I was a huge fan too but I think it's fair that he isn't viewed as highly as Wright and Bright who took us to promotion, survival, a cup final, 3rd in the top flight and both score over 100 goals for the club.

AJ also scored more goals for us. The weed thing definitely tainted his time with us.

gilesy14
15-09-2016, 01:01 PM
I agree. I love him.

EFA

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
15-09-2016, 01:04 PM
Think he had trouble scoring in the league but was scoring in the cup.

2 league goals up until March - not sure exactly how much of that he was banned for? 2 months? He was certainly playing again in January

Scored 6 in the final 12 games of the season.

Radders
15-09-2016, 01:06 PM
I should have apologised to Radders for wrongly accusing him but I didnt have the balls so I flounced and am now blaming him for the fact I have a vagina

Fun this isnt it?

gilesy14
15-09-2016, 01:07 PM
Fun this isnt it?

We are all Gods children, again - I forgive you.

Radders
15-09-2016, 01:11 PM
2 league goals up until March - not sure exactly how much of that he was banned for? 2 months? He was certainly playing again in January

Scored 6 in the final 12 games of the season.

It was a few months from memory yeah. As he was living in Orpington its no surprise he stumbled across a joint or two to be fair!

Think him finding the net in the league came a bit too late sadly!

gold76
15-09-2016, 08:03 PM
I remember the game that launched him on the scene, a 2-2 home draw with Oldham.

I must admit to never having heard of him when he joined us and £1 million was a huge amount (at the time) for us to spend on an unknown.

Jim Cannon
15-09-2016, 08:08 PM
I remember the game that launched him on the scene, a 2-2 home draw with Oldham.

I must admit to never having heard of him when he joined us and £1 million was a huge amount (at the time) for us to spend on an unknown.

Wasn't it Sheff Wed? Think we may have been 0-2 down as well

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
15-09-2016, 08:18 PM
It can't be true - The Croydon Advertiser are now reporting it...

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/you-8217-ll-never-believe-what-this-former-crystal-palace-and-tottenham-star-looks-like-now/story-29718951-detail/story.html

That's embarrassing for the adder - reporting (inaccurate) things from social media that aren't even news in the first place.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
15-09-2016, 08:23 PM
Wasn't it Sheff Wed? Think we may have been 0-2 down as well

His first 2 goals for us were definitely against Oldham in Septemeber '92 (in hindsight it is a game we could have done with winning!) but that wasn't his debut.

He scored another 2 the following week at Everton (our first win of the season).

Jim Cannon
15-09-2016, 08:26 PM
His first 2 goals for us were definitely against Oldham in Septemeber '92 (in hindsight it is a game we could have done with winning!) but that wasn't his debut.

You may be right, for some reason I thought it was Sheff Wed. Paul Williams would have been playing (signed from Sheff Wed) so maybe that's how my ageing brain got muddled:D

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
15-09-2016, 08:27 PM
You may be right, for some reason I thought it was Sheff Wed. Paul Williams would have been playing (signed from Sheff Wed) so maybe that's how my ageing brain got muddled:D

I double checked - I wouldn't have been sure otherwise.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
15-09-2016, 10:10 PM
As stated on that other thread about such things, ian Wright is one of those players who scored his first and last goals for Palace against the same club

Vince Hilaire's Afro
15-09-2016, 10:12 PM
LOL

jaspercpfc
19-09-2016, 06:31 AM
WHITE HART LINES Former Tottenham Hotspur ace Chris Armstrong found guilty of possessing cocaine, ecstasy and cannabis

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1806940/former-tottenham-hotspur-ace-chris-armstrong-found-guilty-of-possessing-cocaine-ecstasy-and-cannabis/

:frown::frown:

spike
19-09-2016, 06:40 AM
At least he hasn't gone the normal BFS / Neil Shipperley route of porking out as soon as he finished playing :
Nowadays he looks a shadow of his former self. He is much thinner than he was ...

Scifo
19-09-2016, 08:43 AM
Just like in '95 I believe he's innocent. Another stitch up

davech
19-09-2016, 09:36 AM
WHITE HART LINES Former Tottenham Hotspur ace Chris Armstrong found guilty of possessing cocaine, ecstasy and cannabis

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1806940/former-tottenham-hotspur-ace-chris-armstrong-found-guilty-of-possessing-cocaine-ecstasy-and-cannabis/

:frown::frown:

Nah, it's an ankle injury :D

orp pisshead1
19-09-2016, 09:52 AM
I know it's wrong to do drugs but don't care what anyone says he's a top top bloke:p, will always have time for him after he helped out our keeper by coming down pub for a fund raising night was only meant to stay a while to meet everyone but stayed all night :p.

orp pisshead1
19-09-2016, 09:56 AM
Yep! It was indeed.

Armstrong was a good guy. May be posted elsewhere on here but he came to our local over in Locksbottom when we had a fund raiser for an injured player from our team. He lived in Orpington so was pretty close. He stayed for a good while, was an absolute gent and if we had been able to keep him longer at Palace I think his career stats would be a lot better than they are.

Tob bloke. Top player

Sorry Neil just seen this :wallbash:, didn't he stay all night? Am sure he was as pissed as rest of us ;).

El Aguila
19-09-2016, 10:04 AM
By the size of the fine it sounds like just a wee personal stash.

Jaserob
19-09-2016, 11:27 PM
I found a picture of Armstrong taken a couple of years ago

http://www.theouthousers.com/images/templates/thumbnails/134346//stretcharmstrong600_size3.jpg

Timbo
19-09-2016, 11:35 PM
I found a picture of Armstrong taken a couple of years ago

http://www.theouthousers.com/images/templates/thumbnails/134346//stretcharmstrong600_size3.jpg

Nah man! Dat's him bredren!

Asagaya_Eagle
20-09-2016, 01:14 AM
I used to have a stretch Congo Natty.

Timbo
20-09-2016, 02:17 AM
I used to have a stretch Congo Natty.

:D

LONDONMAN
20-09-2016, 06:51 AM
The photo looks more like the old Wolves and Stoke cb George Berry than Chris Armstrong.

Also not sure why Chris would decide to follow Spurs? He was born in Newcastle and grew up in North Wales.

Jim Cannon
20-09-2016, 06:53 AM
The picture is not Armstrong!

Nigel_Scarfer
20-09-2016, 07:17 AM
Btw, what's the picture of a Spurs fans on the opening post got to do with Chris Armstrong?

Gilesy seemingly thinks all black people look the same, which must be a slight problem for someone who has previously posted about living in Brixton, albeit the "village" endz.

jaspercpfc
20-09-2016, 07:30 AM
The picture is not Armstrong!

And there were people who foolishly believed it was him (not you though JC) and the advertiser even reported it.

gilesy14
20-09-2016, 10:08 AM
Gilesy seemingly thinks all black people look the same, which must be a slight problem for someone who has previously posted about living in Brixton, albeit the "village" endz.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE ******* FUNNY

& I live Loughborough Junction endz - know it?

milky87
20-09-2016, 10:41 AM
Chris Armstrong is a player who rarely gets talked about and he has been one of the best strikers at our club

Popester
20-09-2016, 10:57 AM
Chris Armstrong is a player who rarely gets talked about and he has been one of the best strikers at our club

Probably because he didn't really do it in the Premier League, and the drugs ban affected the way people viewed him thereafter. Plus Andy Preece was allegedly signed because of CA, and he is one of the worst players I've seen at Palace.

cranesparkeagle
20-09-2016, 11:01 AM
A fully focussed Armstrong could have helped us establish ourselves in the Premier League a lot earlier. He had just about everything. Pace, power skill, heading ability. Just a pity about the drugs

jaspercpfc
20-09-2016, 11:32 AM
Probably because he didn't really do it in the Premier League, and the drugs ban affected the way people viewed him thereafter. Plus Andy Preece was allegedly signed because of CA, and he is one of the worst players I've seen at Palace.

I think thatís a little harsh. He got 15 PL goals 92/93 despite joining in September, and not really having a recognised striking partner (combination of Cookie and Williams up top)
94/95 was a disaster across the pitch as we had such quality. We all know Noades went back on his word with Liverpool to sign Stewart, and Preece came in from Stockport after coming to the attention of the club from scoring a stunner in the cup, and many felt his addition was also to appease our main main who had been linked with Everton/Leeds after weíd secured the title.
We struggled for goals for large chunks of the 94/95 season and Armstrongís confidence was shot coupled with his social activities. Armstrong always benefited from a foil/target man to play off, and it was no coincidence his form picked up once Dowie came on board and despite that 8 league goals and 10 cup goals (majority of which were against top flight opposition) I think he'd be the first to admit he could have managed things better, but he was a young lad, and Smith didn't help matters.

mushroom
20-09-2016, 11:34 AM
A fully focussed Armstrong could have helped us establish ourselves in the Premier League a lot earlier. He had just about everything. Pace, power skill, heading ability. Just a pity about the drugs

Got a "0" rating in the national press once for a home game vs Forest (I think). Worse performance in terms of effort I've ever seen from a Palace player.

Radders
20-09-2016, 11:42 AM
Sorry Neil just seen this :wallbash:, didn't he stay all night? Am sure he was as pissed as rest of us ;).

He stayed a while but he wasnt as pissed as me for sure.

gold76
20-09-2016, 06:10 PM
I'm with Jasp, CA's top flight return was pretty good

15 first time round, 8 second time round, albeit with 10 in the cup..

Preece was pretty pants, with the turning speed of the QE2, but did have a stellar month when he hit 4 or 5

jaspercpfc
25-09-2016, 03:58 PM
https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/ad_219913490.jpg?w=620&h=826&crop=1

This is what Chrissy looks like for those in doubt

Golf Boy
25-09-2016, 04:02 PM
Spurs paid 4.5 million - a lot of money then.

jaspercpfc
25-09-2016, 04:31 PM
Spurs paid 4.5 million - a lot of money then.

Spurs fans often rave about how effective the Klinsmann/Sheringham partnership was, few seem to remember that Armstrong/Sheringham scored more goals as a duo in 95/96, even if it did take Chrissy 10 games to get off the mark.

eagle-leg
25-09-2016, 04:41 PM

Discuss...

jaspercpfc
25-09-2016, 05:17 PM
Discuss...

Rosehill's finest ever defender :p

jaspercpfc
18-04-2017, 01:34 PM
Can't see it being reported anywhere, but I've been told that CA was reportedly picked up again at the weekend for possessing a plethora of drugs

Selhurst Celtic
18-04-2017, 01:46 PM
Congo Natty is furiously flushing his stash down the toilet as we speak.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
18-04-2017, 01:51 PM

A 'pity' is something unfortunate that happens to someone. When someone compromises their life through their choices, it's not a 'pity,' it's a deserved consequence. He blew away his talent and his lack of goals sunk us under Alan Smith. Cheers for the one championship season before snorting us to relegation and then f*cking off to Spurs, Chris.

jaspercpfc
18-04-2017, 01:58 PM
A 'pity' is something unfortunate that happens to someone. When someone compromises their life through their choices, it's not a 'pity,' it's a deserved consequence. He blew away his talent and his lack of goals sunk us under Alan Smith. Cheers for the one championship season before snorting us to relegation and then f*cking off to Spurs, Chris.

A tad extreme IMO. Armstrong always struck me as a confidence based player, and the whole team struggled for goals for much of 94/95. Armstrong was (and I'm guessing still is) a naturally reserved guy and struggled the intrusion that came with his stock rising. You're also forgetting how well he did for us in 92/93.
I'll grant you the way he left wasn't great (just look at his reaction to his goal at home to West Ham) but Smith didn't help matters.

thereichstuff
18-04-2017, 02:19 PM
https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/ad_219913490.jpg?w=620&h=826&crop=1

This is what Chrissy looks like for those in doubt

Yep , I can see the coco pops :p

Selhurst Celtic
18-04-2017, 03:58 PM
Can't see it being reported anywhere, but I've been told that CA was reportedly picked up again at the weekend for possessing a plethora of drugs

Are you his parole officer, jasper?

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showpost.php?p=13232389&postcount=67

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
19-04-2017, 03:13 AM
A tad extreme IMO. Armstrong always struck me as a confidence based player, and the whole team struggled for goals for much of 94/95. Armstrong was (and I'm guessing still is) a naturally reserved guy and struggled the intrusion that came with his stock rising. You're also forgetting how well he did for us in 92/93.
I'll grant you the way he left wasn't great (just look at his reaction to his goal at home to West Ham) but Smith didn't help matters.

I never forgot the force Armstrong was in our Championship season and that is why his lack of professionalism and the cost to us in the Premiership was so unforgivable. His drug taking deprived us of the extra edge I'm sure he could have provided us, if in top condition. Admittedly, as you say, we were poor going forward in general but Armstrong was, by far, the biggest let down, especially as it wouldn't have taken much more from him to keep us up, considering how solid our defense was that season. Sorry but I have no respect for the guy. He pissed his talent away.

gold76
21-04-2017, 09:53 AM
Only one of 3 men to hit more than 10 goals in a season since the dawn of the premier league, be nice if Benteke can match his 15

Vince Hilaire's Afro
21-04-2017, 10:55 AM
I don't really remember all the anger towards Armstrong that I'm seeing on this thread.

The drugs thing was a mess, but I remember him being popular and great to watch, and that was about it.

Pub Idol
21-04-2017, 11:12 AM
The 'drugs' thing was a misnomer - he missed a couple of weeks as he had smoked a dooby or 2. Not a huge deal.

The problem for him was his lack of partner resulted in a dip of confidence. Had we bought in Dowie earlier or Paul Steward or Kennet Anderson etc Then he would have been fine. He was one of the best forwards we have had IMO.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
21-04-2017, 11:20 AM
The 'drugs' thing was a misnomer - he missed a couple of weeks as he had smoked a dooby or 2. Not a huge deal.

The problem for him was his lack of partner resulted in a dip of confidence. Had we bought in Dowie earlier or Paul Steward or Kennet Anderson etc Then he would have been fine. He was one of the best forwards we have had IMO.

I actually seem to remember people being more angry at Alan Smith about the drugs thing. I can't remember exactly what happened, just that he predictably threw Armstrong under the bus about the whole thing

CommercialStone
21-04-2017, 11:31 AM
Never forgive myself for going heart over brain and picking Armstrong over Klinnsmann in my Fantasy Team

Pub Idol
21-04-2017, 11:36 AM
I actually seem to remember people being more angry at Alan Smith about the drugs thing. I can't remember exactly what happened, just that he predictably threw Armstrong under the bus about the whole thing

If I recall correctly then Smith was under no pressure or obligation go public. He could have just said he was injured for 2 weeks and kept it hush hush. It was only cannabis after all.

Pub Idol
21-04-2017, 11:47 AM
to add further - Armstrong was not without blame. He did seem stroppy at times and did go missing to an extent.

I would class his talent levels as top drawer though. Had he had the desire and aggression he would have been an England player -I often wondered if he and Collymore could have played for Palace together (had the seasons been slighty more insync) and taken the Wright/Bright partnership to another level. Who knows.

DARZET EAGLE
21-04-2017, 03:02 PM
to add further - Armstrong was not without blame. He did seem stroppy at times and did go missing to an extent.

I would class his talent levels as top drawer though. Had he had the desire and aggression he would have been an England player -I often wondered if he and Collymore could have played for Palace together (had the seasons been slighty more insync) and taken the Wright/Bright partnership to another level. Who knows.

Impossible mate, they were the best partnership we have ever had.

jaspercpfc
21-04-2017, 03:41 PM

people made comparisons with the Wright/Bright partnership with Williams/Armstrong. Farcical in hindsight, but the pressure to fill that void was huge. It was impossible to replicate the partnership they had. Armstrong was very unassuming off the pitch, and didn't like the limelight which I think some confused as arrogance.
He was so quick over 10 yards, and utilised the flanks so well as a striker, and is one of the best finishers with his head i've seen in my time. Smith dropped Armstrong in it with the failed drugs test, and I think it all but finished the relationship, coupled with the fact that his best mate Preece who wasn't featuring at the time, didn't get on with Smith as well.
Armstrong never quite gets the credit he deserves IMO particularly for the way he filled the void left by messrs Bright & Wright.

Pub Idol
21-04-2017, 03:54 PM
Impossible mate, they were the best partnership we have ever had.

Of course they were the best - I was saying that a Collymore/Armstrong partnership in say 1995/96 would have been amazing and maybe even better. Didn't happen so don't matter - Just a thought.

Se9 eagles
25-04-2017, 02:54 PM
Smashing player.Gutted when he left.

BuktaBoy
13-05-2017, 11:44 AM
Of course they were the best - I was saying that a Collymore/Armstrong partnership in say 1995/96 would have been amazing and maybe even better. Didn't happen so don't matter - Just a thought.

Me too.. They would have been sensational together!

After Wright & Bright, it's Armstrong, Jansen and the Doog as my fave Palace strikers.

Armstrong had so much talent, I loved the goal he rifled into the stanchion at Wolves!

Worksop Palace
13-05-2017, 11:48 AM
Me too.. They would have been sensational together!

After Wright & Bright, it's Armstrong, Jansen and the Doog as my fave Palace strikers.

Armstrong had so much talent, I loved the goal he rifled into the stanchion at Wolves!

AJ ????????????????????????? :eek:

BuktaBoy
13-05-2017, 12:02 PM
AJ ????????????????????????? :eek:

AJ not in the same class as any of those in their pomp. Nowhere near, sorry.

weltklasse
13-05-2017, 12:21 PM
I don't really remember all the anger towards Armstrong that I'm seeing on this thread.

The drugs thing was a mess, but I remember him being popular and great to watch, and that was about it.

Me too.

Worksop Palace
13-05-2017, 12:23 PM
AJ not in the same class as any of those in their pomp. Nowhere near, sorry.

He certainly was my friend

BuktaBoy
13-05-2017, 06:46 PM
He certainly was my friend

AJ had a great Championship season and scored ten in the Prem. (I'll ignore the other ten penalties he dispatched to take his total past 20).

Freedman was silky as was Jansen who would have gone close to breaking club records with us had the circumstances been different.

Armstrong had the lot, raw pace, power and supreme skill. He scored some very big goals for Palace, anyone who remembers his diving header against Millwall in the '94 title season will testify to that. He was electric...

CPFC.1990
13-05-2017, 07:14 PM
Armstrong was absolutely brilliant.

He was a striker who could really electrify the crowd. If he had joined an Arsenal or Man Utd then he would have excelled playing with quality players to feed him goals.

pallet
13-05-2017, 07:30 PM
His pace was incrediable, remember one of his first games away at man u, he scared thier defence to death. Anyway we flogged him to spurs for 4 million and i dont ever recall him playing, infact the only time i saw him in tottenham was at a petrol station filling up his porsche.

alf
13-05-2017, 08:11 PM

I once heard a story that the two of them didn't get along.

west country boy
13-05-2017, 08:12 PM
If I recall correctly then Smith was under no pressure or obligation go public. He could have just said he was injured for 2 weeks and kept it hush hush. It was only cannabis after all.Yep - Smith is a dreadful excuse for a cyclops.

Worksop Palace
13-05-2017, 08:18 PM
AJ had a great Championship season and scored ten in the Prem. (I'll ignore the other ten penalties he dispatched to take his total past 20).

Freedman was silky as was Jansen who would have gone close to breaking club records with us had the circumstances been different.

Armstrong had the lot, raw pace, power and supreme skill. He scored some very big goals for Palace, anyone who remembers his diving header against Millwall in the '94 title season will testify to that. He was electric...

Listen I thought Armstrong was superb

But to dismiss AJ as you've done - how can you dismiss his penalties when he won most of them ? - is just plain daft

AJ was a better striker than CA imo

jaspercpfc
13-05-2017, 09:17 PM
Armstrong was absolutely brilliant.

He was a striker who could really electrify the crowd. If he had joined an Arsenal or Man Utd then he would have excelled playing with quality players to feed him goals.

Spurs only finished two points behind Arsenal in 95/96 and had a steady side. He did well at Spurs and was then decimated by injuries. The Armstrog/Sheringham 95/96 partnership got more goals together than Klinsmann/Sheringham partnership in 94/95 which everyone raved about.

Armstrong always excelled with someone he could play off/target man Stewart/Dowiel/Sheringham etc. I sometimes feel Armstrong is a forgotten figure in Palace folklore and he was simply outstanding in the 93/94 campaign.

jaspercpfc
13-05-2017, 09:19 PM
I once heard a story that the two of them didn't get along.

they probably had a month together before Collymore went to Southend

Eagle Kneevil
14-05-2017, 12:36 AM
The odd thing about Armstrong is that he wasn't very big - just six foot. But he could reach headers that taller centre backs couldn't get near.

gold76
14-05-2017, 05:49 AM
Spurs only finished two points behind Arsenal in 95/96 and had a steady side. He did well at Spurs and was then decimated by injuries. The Armstrog/Sheringham 95/96 partnership got more goals together than Klinsmann/Sheringham partnership in 94/95 which everyone raved about.

Armstrong always excelled with someone he could play off/target man Stewart/Dowiel/Sheringham etc. I sometimes feel Armstrong is a forgotten figure in Palace folklore and he was simply outstanding in the 93/94 campaign.

Agreed mate, take his Pompey hat trick for example

BuktaBoy
14-05-2017, 08:47 AM
Chrissy Armstrong is a Palace legend IMO - And should be remembered as such. Loved watching him play, a proper Palace DNA striker.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
14-05-2017, 09:32 AM
The odd thing about Armstrong is that he wasn't very big - just six foot. But he could reach headers that taller centre backs couldn't get near.

Long limbed, athletic, strong, and fast.

DARZET EAGLE
14-05-2017, 10:22 AM

As they say ''he had a great leap on him''.

New LP
17-05-2017, 11:35 PM
Listen I thought Armstrong was superb

But to dismiss AJ as you've done - how can you dismiss his penalties when he won most of them ? - is just plain daft

AJ was a better striker than CA imo

Both great Palace strikers but as a head to head comparison I think Armstrong was better, he certainly would have made more of an impact in the modern game today.

Like AJ he had pace and could play off the defender's shoulder, but he was stronger, had more variety to his finishing, was better from longer range and was great in the air.

I like AJ more though. Armstrong's ban effectively cost us our place in the Premier League and he then left and scored goals for Spurs.

Good Shipp
17-05-2017, 11:42 PM
First star Palace player I can remember as a child. Remember been very angry when he left and couldn't understand why he and Gareth Southgate (my other favourite player) would leave us. Innocent times.

jimmy the gent
18-05-2017, 12:14 AM
Spurs fans were always on his back as I recall. Even for them, it seemed particularly c*ntish treatment of one their players.

palace_burger
18-05-2017, 04:55 AM
Great talent for sure

Only played 140 times for Spurs in 7 years... Unlucky of did he not take care of himself

Also looks like he didn't learn his lesson er drugs http://www.premierleagueheroes.com/chris-armstrong/

bestperch
20-05-2017, 04:17 PM
Remember him in the players lounge bar at a league cup tie , might have been the season we signed him as he'd already played for Millwall. Buying drinks, chatting to everyone, came across as a decent bloke. Shame to read of his problems.

bradpitt
20-05-2017, 07:39 PM
Chrissy Armstrong is a Palace legend IMO - And should be remembered as such. Loved watching him play, a proper Palace DNA striker.

Nowhere near legend status for me but his goals against Wolves in the cup were amazing.

Dave
20-05-2017, 07:49 PM
Long limbed, athletic, strong, and fast.

just like your mum

jaspercpfc
20-05-2017, 07:53 PM
Nowhere near legend status for me but his goals against Wolves in the cup were amazing.

It’s all about opinions, but I’d say he is a Palace legend. He arrived in September 92’ when we hadn’t really recovered from Wright’s departure 12 months earlier, and had tried various strikers up top with little success. He played with Brighty twice? Before he was sold to Sheffield Wednesday so it was very much a transitional period for the club as the old guard that had served us so well gradually moved on, and for a youngster he lead the line superbly and played with no fear. Armstrong had natural raw ability, and pace to burn and is still to this day one of the best headers of the ball I’ve seen down at the club. He is sometimes the forgotten man in my opinion, people always seem to reminisce about Dogue, AJ, Wright and co but Armstrong really was the real deal and in full flow a joy to watch.

btw - reminisce

lovqxgKHS5A

LrUaSRhClWQ

wUABfwUHaKE

Vince Hilaire's Afro
20-05-2017, 09:03 PM
just like your mum

Perhaps, although she's in her 70s now, so presumably fair game for insults it would seem

davemorris04
20-05-2017, 09:37 PM
Loved Armstrong, absolute class player for us.

Shipp Ahoy!
20-05-2017, 09:48 PM
One of the best strikers I've seen in Red and Blue.

Will never forget the one he hit into the top corner where the ball was literally stuck in the stantion! Anyone any idea which game that was?

gilberts knife
20-05-2017, 09:56 PM
One of the best strikers I've seen in Red and Blue.

Will never forget the one he hit into the top corner where the ball was literally stuck in the stantion! Anyone any idea which game that was?

Wolves away fa cup replay 4 cracking palace goals in that game :lux::D

Twilko
20-05-2017, 10:48 PM

nt4rlk5bHvM

Whenever I think of Armstrong I remember that goal. I'd forgotten how good the other goals were though!

SeanPalace84
21-05-2017, 08:28 AM
Didn't Darren Pitcher score a stunner?

Maidstoned Eagle
21-05-2017, 08:31 AM

I cant remember, if only someone had a copy of a video they could post onnhere, so we can find out

Twilko
21-05-2017, 08:39 AM
I cant remember, if only someone had a copy of a video they could post onnhere, so we can find out

I seem to remember Dowie doing some spectacular chest, turn, half-volley, but as you say it was over 20 years ago so who knows really.

BuktaBoy
22-05-2017, 06:11 AM
Armstrong's 2nd Wolves goal is one of my fave ever Palace finishes. What a hit!!! BOOOM

Gyro1780
22-05-2017, 06:37 AM

It's definitely Congo Natty aka Rebel MC. Jungle/Drum&Bass DJ & Producer.
Spoken to him a couple of times at raves.

jaspercpfc
19-06-2017, 11:17 AM
sit and reminisce :lux::lux:

https://twitter.com/CPFC/status/876748909564919808

pgw152
20-06-2017, 11:03 AM
100%,yes,a belter that was seemingly all just timing,didn't seem to involve any effort at all.
Left after 80 mins, cos the Palace Box Office had somehow managed to sell us (students in Brum) Palace fans two tickets in the Wolves family stand. We weren't feeling the family vibe!

Pub Idol
20-06-2017, 11:42 AM
What I never understood was how he was signed - Never heard of him and his record for Millwall was stats wise faily average. If anyone remembers let me know.

N Herts Eagle
20-06-2017, 01:19 PM
What I never understood was how he was signed - Never heard of him and his record for Millwall was stats wise faily average. If anyone remembers let me know. For Wrexham where he first started played with Andy Preece it was 60 appearances 13 goals moved to Millwall where it was 28 appearances 5 goals.
Seeing we paid 1 million for him at the time and he really was not one of those that was on the radar I was shocked we signed him let alone the cost. Proved totally wrong as great for us 118 appearances 45 goals.

lee_cpfc
20-06-2017, 01:29 PM
What I never understood was how he was signed - Never heard of him and his record for Millwall was stats wise faily average. If anyone remembers let me know.

The great spotter of potential Mr Steve Coppell :p

gold76
20-06-2017, 04:51 PM
His first season, £1 million 15 league goals

Matched recently by Benteke although with an eye watering price tag of 30x as much..

What a bargain, he was

jaspercpfc
20-06-2017, 04:59 PM
The great spotter of potential Mr Steve Coppell :p

correct, Sir Steve was good mates with Brian Flynn (then Wrexham manager) who recommended CPFC should monitor Armstrong at Millwall. Billy Smith who did a lot of scouting for the club in the 80's/early 90's watched Armstrong on countless occasions and the rest they say is history.

Worksop Palace
20-06-2017, 05:15 PM
Brilliant striker was Chris

(Still AJ by a head for me ;) )

BuktaBoy
30-06-2017, 10:26 AM
sit and reminisce :lux::lux:

https://twitter.com/CPFC/status/876748909564919808

The variety of Armstrong's finishing here should end any of this nonsense debate over who was better between him & Johnson. Freedman in his pomp was a better striker than AJ too.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
30-06-2017, 10:29 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/1rdpaa.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/1rdpaa)

Pub Idol
30-06-2017, 10:46 AM
The variety of Armstrong's finishing here should end any of this nonsense debate over who was better between him & Johnson. Freedman in his pomp was a better striker than AJ too.

AJ scored goals on his own in the top flight. Pretty much no support bar Routledge.

And he destroyed the Championship - 30+.

its a good debate IMO.

Billy Gilbert
30-06-2017, 10:55 AM

How many top flight goals did Freedman score?

Vince Hilaire's Afro
30-06-2017, 11:04 AM

Freedman was a great footballer but the lacked the pace to make the impact required to break through in the top flight.

Armstrong and AJ had pace in abundance. I don't really care who was the best - I loved watching all three (although I have to say the promotion season with Armstrong was one of my favourites)

NRM the 2nd
30-06-2017, 11:12 AM
Loved Chris Armstrong. Even beats benteke for heading the ball for me. King of the diving header and the one against pompey is still up there in my all time goals.

eagle-leg
30-06-2017, 11:12 AM
Wright>Armstrong>Bright>AJ>Freedman>Clinton

orp pisshead1
30-06-2017, 11:59 AM

Top game , result and trip that.

jaspercpfc
30-06-2017, 12:15 PM

in the top flight Freedman scored 10 goals in total (9 for Forest 98/99) and just the one solitary strike for Palace against Charlton in 2005? Freedman never really got given a chance under Sir Steve nin 97/98 before he left for Wolves in October.

Billy Gilbert
30-06-2017, 12:41 PM
in the top flight Freedman scored 10 goals in total (9 for Forest 98/99) and just the one solitary strike for Palace against Charlton in 2005? Freedman never really got given a chance under Sir Steve nin 97/98 before he left for Wolves in October.

Freedman was the one player that I wanted to see play with Lombardo but he wasnt given the opportunity. Instead we bought Neil Emblem!

Billy Gilbert
30-06-2017, 12:47 PM
Freedman was a great footballer but the lacked the pace to make the impact required to break through in the top flight.

Armstrong and AJ had pace in abundance. I don't really care who was the best - I loved watching all three (although I have to say the promotion season with Armstrong was one of my favourites)

I'm not sure it was just his lack of pace but when he was on song he was a joy to watch. A class act. Loved his partnership with Clinton.

regal_eagle
30-06-2017, 12:47 PM

Clinton>Everyone else :cool:

jaspercpfc
30-06-2017, 01:35 PM

I sometimes wondered whether he had the hunger, and he often struggled for consistency. He was a very intelligent player, and there was no doubting his ability. When we went up in 1997, I thought he'd make the step up to the top flight, and Coppell ran with Dyer/Warhurst up top with Freedman coming on for the odd cameo. I don't think pace was ever an issue, but he'd often go missing in games
Back to this thread Armstrong was a far superior player to Freedman in my opinion.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
30-06-2017, 01:52 PM
Well. I think it was pace. Harrumph.

Billy Gilbert
30-06-2017, 03:31 PM
Well. I think it was pace. Harrumph.

Sheringham had no pace but scored a hatful of goals. Dougie definitely had better hair thou, Sheringhams hairstyle was woeful. Like a 10 year old schoolboys, cut by his mum.

Golf Boy
30-06-2017, 03:34 PM
I sometimes wondered whether he had the hunger, and he often struggled for consistency. He was a very intelligent player, and there was no doubting his ability. When we went up in 1997, I thought he'd make the step up to the top flight, and Coppell ran with Dyer/Warhurst up top with Freedman coming on for the odd cameo. I don't think pace was ever an issue, but he'd often go missing in games
Back to this thread Armstrong was a far superior player to Freedman in my opinion.

Spurs would never have bid 4.5 million for Freedman.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
30-06-2017, 04:48 PM
Sheringham had no pace but scored a hatful of goals. Dougie definitely had better hair thou, Sheringhams hairstyle was woeful. Like a 10 year old schoolboys, cut by his mum.

Sheringham was indeed the striker whose lack of pace didn't prevent him from carving out a great top flight career.

Completely correct about the hair.

Jason
01-07-2017, 06:48 AM

All Palace greats imho, with different contributions to our cause. If we had to rank them, I think I would go

Wright>Bright>AJ>Armstrong>Clinton>Freedman

But that is of course just an opinion. Personally, I'm just glad that all of them played for us when they did !

cpfc4evandeva
01-07-2017, 06:59 AM
Clinton Vs Dougie is a good debate.

Both different kinds of strikers really, and that's why they worked so well together. At the top of their respective careers, I'd take Freedman only because he had a little bit more about his game. Clint was just an absolute poacher, and one of the very best we've had of those types :lux:

BuktaBoy
01-07-2017, 07:29 AM

93/94 was a great season. Has anyone got a link for Armstrong's diving header Vs Millwall? That was a corker. Martyn also avoided a red card after taking out Jeremy Beadle right in front of the ref!

It's a travesty that side was relegated the following season with players we had and two outstanding cup runs.

Oh..and Doogie's hair in the 90s was amazing - he was gorge 😍

gold76
01-07-2017, 08:28 AM
Freedman was the one player that I wanted to see play with Lombardo but he wasnt given the opportunity. Instead we bought Neil Emblem!

Emblem, Christ, that's a sobering thought, how the **** did we pay £2 million quid for him?

gold76
01-07-2017, 08:30 AM
All Palace greats imho, with different contributions to our cause. If we had to rank them, I think I would go

Wright>Bright>AJ>Armstrong>Clinton>Freedman

But that is of course just an opinion. Personally, I'm just glad that all of them played for us when they did !

When I started going it was, Jones, Edwards, Langley, McCullough and Brown..

Thank the maker for Mabbutt!

JJ
01-07-2017, 10:29 AM

Yes, in the first half. Ball came out to him, I think he chested it down, and then hit one from about 20 yards into the top right corner. You could hear it hit the stanchion.

JJ
01-07-2017, 10:31 AM
I seem to remember Dowie doing some spectacular chest, turn, half-volley, but as you say it was over 20 years ago so who knows really.

Yes, it was a mish mash of an overhead kick and hooking it over his shoulder from about 6 yards out.

Panther
01-07-2017, 12:13 PM
Clinton Vs Dougie is a good debate.

Both different kinds of strikers really, and that's why they worked so well together. At the top of their respective careers, I'd take Freedman only because he had a little bit more about his game. Clint was just an absolute poacher, and one of the very best we've had of those types :lux:

I once did a stats comparison on games/goals by the two of them (Palace careers only) and they were remarkably similar. As Eva implies, the types of goal they scored were very different.