PDA

View Full Version : Matt Clarke

ForestGateEagle
17-09-2016, 10:23 AM
I'm on a tour in SE Asia and a fellow tourist is ex goalkeeper Matt Clarke's mum.

Anyone like to share any memories of him and his time at Palace, that I could share with her? I'm sure she would appreciate it.

She says that he has always spoken well of Palace. He retired following his bad injury with us. Now lives in Leicester, has a couple of daughters and is in the building trade (doing what, I'm not quite sure, but could find out if anyone is interested).

Thanks

kong
17-09-2016, 10:41 AM
He had a real presence in goal, a languid loose-limbed gait, and used to wear his collar up. I remember thinking there was something of the vampire about him.

Ismale
17-09-2016, 12:35 PM
for some reason I just remember him from playing Bradford,His Former Club before Palace,at home,in a 2-0 win (Morrisson with both??) around October 2001,Near the end of the game two young Ladies decided to invade the pitch topless! :eek: :D

I remember they both run over in Clarkes direction,who was keeping goal at the Holmesdale End,To much Whooping & Cheering from (Almost) Everybody in the crowd! Ha Ha :lux:

Good keeper,Shame his knee went start of the 2002-03 season & we never got to see him realise his potential. :(

SilentAssassin
17-09-2016, 12:47 PM
Thought we had finally settled our number 1 after so many years of not having a decent keeper. Shame that his injury took him out the game.

stumpy feelers
17-09-2016, 01:24 PM
I really liked him thought he was a decent goalkeeper, gutted when he called it a day. Would've been our no 1 for a while imo

Maidstoned Eagle
17-09-2016, 01:37 PM
Decent keeper and, as others have said, if he hadn't of been forced to retire would've had a very succesful career.

Latvian Eagle
17-09-2016, 02:33 PM
Big fan of his... Shame Emily Heskey effectively ruined / ended his career. Could have been our best keeper since Nige. He struggled in his first few games, but once he found his feet he was part of the squad that propelled us to the top of the First Division.

Always fond memories of Matty. I had heard he went into the family business after he retired.

gold76
18-09-2016, 06:17 PM
for some reason I just remember him from playing Bradford,His Former Club before Palace,at home,in a 2-0 win (Morrisson with both??) around October 2001,Near the end of the game two young Ladies decided to invade the pitch topless! :eek: :D

I remember they both run over in Clarkes direction,who was keeping goal at the Holmesdale End,To much Whooping & Cheering from (Almost) Everybody in the crowd! Ha Ha :lux:

Good keeper,Shame his knee went start of the 2002-03 season & we never got to see him realise his potential. :(

Can we see you every week? the chant went up :)

I think Clarke would have been a stalwart keeper if he'd stayed fit.

I remember him boobing in in the Phillips cup against PSV and kicking the ball straight to Van Bommell I think and them scoring, we peppered them afterwards..

Mictor Voses
18-09-2016, 06:24 PM
Very good keeper. Did his Mum happen to say what he was up to these days?

Lord Flange
18-09-2016, 06:27 PM
The pitch invaders both had quite wonderful breasts and credit to the stewards who seemed content to let them jiggle them in front of the Holmesdale for what seemed like about 5 minutes.

Shipp Ahoy!
18-09-2016, 06:30 PM
This thread is useless without pics...and I don't mean of Matt Clarke :D

EmmerGreenEagle
18-09-2016, 06:50 PM
Pictures of the pitch invaders are on the holmesdale.net site

EmmerGreenEagle
18-09-2016, 06:52 PM
https://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=210&gallery=28431

trufan
18-09-2016, 09:09 PM
He had a real presence in goal, a languid loose-limbed gait, and used to wear his collar up. I remember thinking there was something of the vampire about him.

Struggled with crosses?

ForestGateEagle
21-09-2016, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the memories. His mum was realy touched and appreciative when I shared them with her - though I've not dwelled too much on the streaker replies!

She sent him a text message about the thread, and he replied to her immediately (a previously unheard of event, apparently!). He was clearly quite thrilled that fond memories linger.

Be good if the club invited him down to a match for a half time wander on the pitch. I'm sure he'd be up for it.

MV - he's in the building business.

Pub Idol
21-09-2016, 12:03 PM
He was a top Goalkeeper IMO - Premier league standard no doubt.

We looked instantly better when he signed and he played in a brief spell under Bruce where Palace were sensational. He was confident and reliable and clearly would have been Palaces keeper for a good few year after.

*I also remember him saying about his previous Bradford manager "That he couldn't run a bath"

knowlesyUCLA
21-09-2016, 12:05 PM
As per other people's recollections, a very nice set of bangers on her.

Anyway enough about Matt Clarke's mum.

Boyandy
21-09-2016, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the mammaries.

EFA

scro
21-09-2016, 01:37 PM
Genuinely think he had the potential to be a top notch goalkeeper. Shame it couldn't happen.

Wasn't he a bit if a booze hound?