PDA

View Full Version : 20 Years Ago Today,September 21st 1996 Reading 1 Palace 6!

Ismale
21-09-2016, 10:10 AM
Anyone remember this game? :lux: It was the start of a 20 goal blitz in barely a fortnight that led to the release of a VHS video called "Palace Score" that I still have indoors.

Having now checked Youtube,The Palace scorers that day were Tuttle,Freedman,Muscat,Dyer (Pen)Veart & Ndha.

The game also,i believe? Was the Debut in goal of "Clitheroe Kid" Carlo Nash,We were starting to score goals for fun that September after a slow start to the season,possibly due to the overhang of the last minute defeat to that C\/nt Claridges Shin in injury time in Extra time at Wembley in the Playoff final at the end of the previous season :veryangry

Give us your memories of a fantastic away trip! :lux:

Thanet Eagle
21-09-2016, 10:14 AM
I was there that day ! Strangely I can't remember that much about the game apart from the flurry of goals we scored !

Mick
21-09-2016, 11:13 AM
As a Reading resident, remember this game very fondly, establishing bragging rights over my Reading colleagues ( who usually have two teams to support anyway, as they must support another team from the top division!! ). The game was significant for another reason, as it featured six different scorers, and I think we repeated the dose during the week afterwards by putting six past Southend in the League Cup, again with six different scorers, although I could stand to be corrected on this one. And yes, Carlo's debut game, conceding from a penalty late on to prevent a clean sheet.

eagle-leg
21-09-2016, 11:19 AM
Didnt we beat Southend in the very next match.

Also 6-1 with six different goal scorers

Edit - hadnt read the above post.

Goal machine Carl Veart scored in both matches from memory

Mick
The game was at the old Elm Park ground, which is within walking distance of where I live and I recall drinking at the Hook and Tackle, nearer the town centre, before the game. Twenty years!- where has the time gone?

elgin eagle
Yeah, my one and only visit to Elm Park :) We smashed them. Wouldn't it be great if you had the magic formula for form?

Mick
21-09-2016, 11:20 AM
Didnt we beat Southend in the very next match.

Also 6-1 with six different goal scorers

Thanks, yeah, confirmed what I thought.

CPFC Since 68
21-09-2016, 11:24 AM
All i remember is singing " We only win 6-1 " against Southend.

PauLo
21-09-2016, 11:24 AM
I remember watch the scores come in on teletext. Was amazing. Remember taking a picture of the TV when it was 1-6 on an old disposable camera. Good times.

Was at the 6-1 the following week, so didn't completely miss out. Craig Moore scored in that one I believe? That's all I can really remember about it.

foetus eagle
21-09-2016, 11:30 AM
It was a great day out. I remember the Reading fans having a protest at the end of the match and refusing to leave. Uri Geller was sent out on the pitch to try and placate them, (I think he was a Director there at the time). That just annoyed them even more.

I also remember singing 'Trevor Morley is a wanker'.

greybot
21-09-2016, 11:33 AM
I too remember looking up the result on teletext (bbc ceefax to be exact) and seeing the six different goal scorers names taking up all of the screen. It was a beautiful sight.

Mictor Voses
21-09-2016, 11:34 AM
Yep I was there. I remember bumping into Chris Day outside the ground who was on crutches at the time. Day had got off to a good start as Palace keeper and I was initially worried what that would hold for us. But Carlo Nash came in and never looked back. I remember Reading scored from a penalty by Trevor Morley. Also- I believe we scored a penalty too which was converted by Bruce Dyer. I also remember a little boy throwing a football on the pitch. His Mum came and picked it up for him only to have it confiscated by a steward. Cue chants of "wanker wanker" at the steward.

Finally, and I may be imagining things as I was very young at the time, but didn't Reading have a fan run on the pitch and confront the referee about awarding us a penalty??

elgin eagle
21-09-2016, 11:35 AM
It was a great day out. I remember the Reading fans having a protest at the end of the match and refusing to leave. Uri Geller was sent out on the pitch to try and placate them, (I think he was a Director there at the time). That just annoyed them even more.

'You're not magic anymore' :)

orp pisshead1
21-09-2016, 03:15 PM
Anyone remember this game? :lux: It was the start of a 20 goal blitz in barely a fortnight that led to the release of a VHS video called "Palace Score" that I still have indoors.

Having now checked Youtube,The Palace scorers that day were Tuttle,Freedman,Muscat,Dyer (Pen)Veart & Ndha.

The game also,i believe? Was the Debut in goal of "Clitheroe Kid" Carlo Nash,We were starting to score goals for fun that September after a slow start to the season,possibly due to the overhang of the last minute defeat to that C\/nt Claridges Shin in injury time in Extra time at Wembley in the Playoff final at the end of the previous season :veryangry

Give us your memories of a fantastic away trip! :lux:

We was pissed , hth:D:lux::hi:

Lord Flange
21-09-2016, 03:38 PM
There was a massive surge after the first goal prompting coppers to move loads of us to another part of the terrace. Great fun!

Jim Cannon
21-09-2016, 04:28 PM
I remember watch the scores come in on teletext. Was amazing. Remember taking a picture of the TV when it was 1-6 on an old disposable camera. Good times.

Was at the 6-1 the following week, so didn't completely miss out. Craig Moore scored in that one I believe? That's all I can really remember about it.

In the game the following week v Southend, IIRC, Dougie was on a hat trick and missed a last minute pen which would have been 7-1!

PalaceSi
21-09-2016, 04:42 PM
Wern't we 1-0 down at halftime or was it my imagination? I remember behind at halftime, suffering a deluge on an open terrace, then the sun came out and the goals flew in. Harry Bassett who looked like he was going to leave had promised to stay as well so it was all good news though i don't think he saw out the season, Sir Steve was recalled and took us up.

Sleeping Giant
21-09-2016, 05:17 PM
I took my girlfriend to this. Don't think she'd ever been to a football match before. I tried very hard to try to explain that things like this very rarely happened. Too hard I think.

Tony Montana
21-09-2016, 06:25 PM
if I recall correctly it was after Bassett had announced he was staying with us and turned down Man City? I remember my old man dropping me off at football training in the morning and telling me we would be heading to Elm Park that afternoon. Lived in Birmingham at the time.

SeanPalace84
21-09-2016, 07:16 PM
Broke down on the way to the match with my Dad. Missed the game then heard the result on the radio, was happy and gutted at the same time.

gold76
21-09-2016, 07:42 PM
Wasn't at this one, but did go to Southend the following week- the chant went up, are you Reading in disguise..

bestperch
22-09-2016, 01:57 PM
A lot of us drinking at a CIU club in Reading before and after the game. Got home and knew we'd scored quite a few and won but couldn't remember the final score !

YASSA the PALACETINIAN
22-09-2016, 06:50 PM
Was relaxing on the sofa in Sandhurst, after a 'strenuous' round of golf, listening to a Radio Berkshire programme, that was repeatedly updated with news of yet another Palace goal. Reporter seemed to be in a state of shock. :)

jaspercpfc
23-09-2016, 12:57 AM

Craig Moore came a few years later.
96/97 was one of my happiest times watching Palace. The team had an abundance of goals and pace, and this was shortly before we strengthened with Shipps joining from Southampton.
Nash made his debut at Reading (I think Day was on U21 duty) and probably in truth should have been sent off for bringing down Morely in front of the Palace travelling support. Ndah scored a classy goal, out pacing the defensive backline, and dinking the ball over the Reading keeper to complete the rout, on a warm September afternoon. I only went to Elm Park twice, both trips coming 6 months apart of in 96'.
Ironically my only memory of Southend the following week was "Willo" (Paul Williams) scoring a consolation goal for Southend with a header in to the Whitehorse end, and it was around this time that every ex-Palace player seemed to score against us.
Good memories from a good era

Vince Hilaire's Afro
23-09-2016, 01:05 AM
I just remember Ndah's goal being a cracker. We played some great stuff around that time - it was hard to believe Bassett was the manager.

Was Ray Lewington still there? I seem to remember thinking at the time that he was perhaps handling tactics etc and Bassett was just there for his 'man management skills'

andyocpfc
23-09-2016, 07:32 AM
I was there too with my Dad and Brother although have little recollection of the game. Anyone have video highlights, would love to see again? Randomly, I remember stopping off for a burger king before though.

postman plod
01-10-2016, 08:08 PM
I may be mistaken, But didn't Leif Anderson tread on the ball, whilst trying a back pass to Nash, and Trevor Morley got clean through, only to f..k up.
I remember the Palace fans laughing there nuts off.

david sylvian
01-10-2016, 08:18 PM
was going to go, but then got off with some bird at a nightclub who ended up back at mine, and the next morning was spent frolicking!