PDA

View Full Version : ('New') Holmesdale Stand originals

Vince Hilaire's Afro
26-09-2016, 12:19 PM
How many on here were the original ST holders for Ron's new Holmesdale stand?

I remember having to wear a hard hat and go and pick out a seat. It was just a coulke of weeks to the start of the season and they looked a long way off the building schedule. In the end, much to Ron's annoyance, they had to relocate the Holmesdale ST holders to the AW for the first game of the season (Barnsley I think).

When we were finally allowed into the stand, I loved the view though it was a bit quieter. I chose the back row of the Holmesdale upper so I could stand up through the game.

davech
26-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Remember it well. I was in the middle of the Upper tier, about half way back. Being the generous soul I was, I also paid for half my brother's ticket as well (my mother paid the other half). Once we had overcome the vertigo, it was a great view.

Shame that little pr*ck Lee Bowyer :jerkit: had to score the first goal in front of it.

FourtyTwo
26-09-2016, 12:42 PM
Second to back row in the lower tier, on an aisle. For the life of me I can't remember the block though. I remember going to pick out seats as well, although not sure about the hard hats.

And remember well the Barnsley game, as it was baking hot, and we had the sun full on in our eyes for 90 minutes!

Mick
26-09-2016, 12:48 PM
Yes, original in the Holmesdale Upper, after frequenting most areas of the ground over the years, including the grassy banks. I'd forgotten about the relocation to the AW at the start of the season until mentioned. After a few years in the Upper, moved to the gallery for half a season, but didn't like it, so now in Holmesdale Lower, Block G .

Big Gav
26-09-2016, 12:52 PM
Yep I was middle of Upper Tier. 5 year deal

RAB
26-09-2016, 12:55 PM

I remember having to wear a hard hat and go and pick out a seat. It was just a coulke of weeks to the start of the season and they looked a long way off the building schedule. In the end, much to Ron's annoyance, they had to relocate the Holmesdale ST holders to the AW for the first game of the season (Barnsley I think).

When we were finally allowed into the stand, I loved the view though it was a bit quieter. I chose the back row of the Holmesdale upper so I could stand up through the game.

I remember going into the new Holmesdale to choose seats with my then two young sons. Seats in the block closer to the players' tunnel those days. Now in Block D closer to the HF and further back. Still all together and for me the best time ever in my 40 plus years of support.

Pub Idol
26-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Yep - And still in the same seat.

Picking out a seat with a hardhat and being shown round by a fellow fan who I presume was a volunteer. Really good experience.

delboy01
26-09-2016, 01:26 PM
Yes, me, two guys from Bristol and one from chippenham all still in the same seats. front of block L

We did the hard hat thing as well.

Andrew Aitchison
26-09-2016, 01:28 PM
Yep. Still in the same seat towards the back of block N in the upper.

Pub Idol
26-09-2016, 01:36 PM
The ground needs sorting out but the Holmesdale is and has been for the last 21 years one of the best places to watch football in England.

OriginalNutter
26-09-2016, 01:43 PM
Yep, kept my seat behind the goal, Lower tier for about 7 years before giving it up due to having some bloody ankle bitters.

jaspercpfc
26-09-2016, 01:55 PM
Shame that little pr*ck Lee Bowyer :jerkit: had to score the first goal in front of it.

It was a cracking goal tbf. What was the delay in the club missing the first home game against Barnsley? I remember being shifted across to the AW for that game.

woldinghameagle
26-09-2016, 02:10 PM
Yes, same seats last but one from the back in the Lower, left hand goal post.

davech
26-09-2016, 02:15 PM
It was a cracking goal tbf. What was the delay in the club missing the first home game against Barnsley? I remember being shifted across to the AW for that game.

Sadly I agree.

Delay was overrunning works/final safety certificate iirc. Same contractors seem later to have got the contract for the works on the junction of Portland Road/South Norwood High Street :D. But I digress.

Transfer
26-09-2016, 03:43 PM
Yep. Remember choosing our seats. Shame nothing else has got built since but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Penstone Eagle
26-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Been in the upper from day one, chose three seats for me, my wife and my Dad. Still have the same seats but now with my son and Daughter.

Love the view but the extra legroom is very useful too.

art malice
26-09-2016, 03:48 PM
I remember it shutting. When did it reopen?

bestperch
26-09-2016, 04:05 PM
From fading memory I seem to recall that we were given time slots to choose our seats in the unfinished stand. I had paid about £600 for a five year stint in the upper but didn't like the view. Went to the lower tier and got my seat that I've kept ever since, end of block, back row, behind the goal hence the username !

eagle mart
26-09-2016, 04:27 PM
Opened it against Charlton?

They bought 1200.

1-1 ?

El D
26-09-2016, 04:46 PM
I couldn't get off work on the day people chose seats. My son chose ours: my requests were 'in the Upper, on an aisle, and on the non-smoking side'. Were Palace among the first to have no smoking areas? I remember the Charlton game, and couldn't help feeling a bit sorry for Ron when he came to cut the ribbon in front of the stand, and was booed by some for his pains.

jaspercpfc
26-09-2016, 04:52 PM
Opened it against Charlton?

They bought 1200.

1-1 ?

yes, Bowyer scored a stunning curler in to the top right hand corner as he cut in from the edge of the box. Dyer levelled matters from a near post finish in the second half. Our first home win the league that year didn't come until late November.

old git
26-09-2016, 05:02 PM
A good few of us have Owned the same seats since it was built, back row block D.

AddoWolz
26-09-2016, 06:00 PM
Yep , got in on the £600 for 5 years deal middle of the upper , had it for about 10 seasons , fantastic view , plenty of leg room and the red and blue bar but got bored with the atmosphere up there
2010 got seats (I've never used them , well only to sit down at half time ) in block C lower holmsdale and absolutely love it , you just feel so much more part of the game

Bizarro
26-09-2016, 06:18 PM
I was, had a 5 year ticket, stayed up there till 2010. Gave up my season ticket for a couple of years before getting one again in the WHL.

Popester
26-09-2016, 06:28 PM
Yep, me and my old man. It has changed quite a bit over the years, but it is still my favourite stand by far.

elgin eagle
26-09-2016, 06:40 PM
Block D Row 23- Seat 56. Funny how the useless stuff stays in your head :)

Rarely go in the holmesdale these days, but its my favourite stand too.

Old Skool Eagle
26-09-2016, 06:48 PM
Yep. Back of block D. Moved around the ground to a variety of different parts of the ground for cup games over the years to experience different views and atmosphere. Upper tier, main stand, white horse and even a box a few times with the thought that one day I might swop my season ticket for a seat I can actually sit in! But I keep renewing each year. Maybe one day when my back gives up.

jake5
26-09-2016, 07:29 PM
Still sit in my original seat,really been 21 years....!!

EmmerGreenEagle
26-09-2016, 07:34 PM
Yes been there since it opened.

M Padovano
26-09-2016, 08:28 PM

Block D. Terrific banter from a chap behind us.

foetus eagle
26-09-2016, 08:31 PM
We had a group of about 15 of us in block B. I remember the hard hat experience. Heady times.

Pistol Knight
26-09-2016, 08:45 PM
I cant remember, but I do remember having my seat in the old stand whilst the Homesdale was rebuilt and was there for the *****ona game :D

Andy in Rome
26-09-2016, 10:21 PM
Yes - my mate & I have been in the same Block E seats since day one. Wouldn't change them for the world. Seems like only yesterday...

Dorking .Eagle
27-09-2016, 07:22 AM
Yep still got original seat from day one. Upper tier dead central.

Three of our original group of 8 have still got the same seats. My wife and son have taken up seats when others dropped out. The 'Peter Taylor' years lost us the most in our little group.

Lots of people in adjacent seats around me are 'originals' or very longstanding fans (15+ years same seats) too

tauranga rob
27-09-2016, 09:07 AM
Yep. A mate and I chose our seats in the Lower tier - Block G, row 32 or 33. That was roughly where a load of us used to stand when it was terracing. Had a season ticket every year till I emigrated in 2000.

Martinsleftpeg
28-09-2016, 06:47 PM
I got a 5 year ST in the upper but have dropped down to lower now as the upper is bloody cold in winter and I still like to sing despite my advancing years

jaspercpfc
28-09-2016, 11:53 PM
people moan about the season ticket wallet this year, back in 95' i'm pretty certain we were treated to a hideous green booklet

elgin eagle
28-09-2016, 11:58 PM
people moan about the season ticket wallet this year, back in 95' i'm pretty certain we were treated to a hideous green booklet

Then red, then blue wasn't it? For 600 pound for 5 seasons it was good value anyway.

JJ
29-09-2016, 05:31 AM
Yes for me.

Lower tier, block F row 25, original seat 105 but then moved to the end of the aisle to 103 and stayed in that seat until I emigrated to Aus in 2008. I also remember going to the ground during the day and walking round the stand to pick my seat.

Still hurts that I'm not there every other weekend...

AddiscombeEagle
29-09-2016, 06:58 AM
We got four in back row of lower and stayed there for 10 plus years until we decided to move to upper where we are now back row of upper.

PeterH
29-09-2016, 07:04 AM

Back row, block M.

Pubface
29-09-2016, 07:08 AM
Yep my dad and I were block E row 10. Remember the Charlton game well. Always thought the bloke that scored for Charlton was a nasty sod although his name alludes me at the moment.

mrsilly
29-09-2016, 07:41 AM
I paid more than 600 I think to sit in the front rows of the upper tier (sure it had a special name) but decided not to do it as had vertigo when I went to look, Ron very kindly allowed me to move my ticket to the AW.

gold76
29-09-2016, 11:53 AM
Second to back row in the lower tier, on an aisle. For the life of me I can't remember the block though. I remember going to pick out seats as well, although not sure about the hard hats.

And remember well the Barnsley game, as it was baking hot, and we had the sun full on in our eyes for 90 minutes!

Barnsley home 4-3 win, was 4-1 up and flying.. then someone like Viveash scored and we kinda clung on in the end.

I was a Whitehorse original in 93/94, £100 season ticket and will give Uncle Ron a wee bit of credit, he froze the ticket prices for 94/95 too.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
29-09-2016, 11:57 AM
Back row, block M.

Not sure which block, but I was on the side nearest the Main Stand, just past the first roof support as you travel to the centre of the stand

Robson
30-09-2016, 12:57 AM
I paid more than 600 I think to sit in the front rows of the upper tier (sure it had a special name) but decided not to do it as had vertigo when I went to look, Ron very kindly allowed me to move my ticket to the AW.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets vertigo in upper tiers. Mine's so bad I only go to games if I can sit ground tier (St James' Park off the menu for me!), so my ST's in the Holmesdale Lower.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
30-09-2016, 01:02 AM
Hope none of you vertigo types ever had to go into that stand at Chelsea (is it called the West Stand?

rudis flatop
11-10-2016, 12:39 AM
got shown around by a then young chukka umunna the now MP .. picked my seats on the back row and the rest is history

Billy Rhino
11-10-2016, 12:57 AM
Hope none of you vertigo types ever had to go into that stand at Chelsea (is it called the West Stand?

It's actually the East stand and I've been right to the back of it (used to get in all London games for free as I was a programme seller), I was using my hands a bit to climb up it was so steep.

I'm at the back of the Upper tier these days and occasionally get dizzy spells celebrating a goal so must have some sort of vertigo.:(

Vince Hilaire's Afro
11-10-2016, 02:32 AM
It's actually the East stand and I've been right to the back of it (used to get in all London games for free as I was a programme seller), I was using my hands a bit to climb up it was so steep.

I'm at the back of the Upper tier these days and occasionally get dizzy spells celebrating a goal so must have some sort of vertigo.:(

I was in that stand for that game we drew, cracking volley from Gary Locke

Billy Rhino
11-10-2016, 11:37 AM
I was in that stand for that game we drew, cracking volley from Gary Locke

I was in it for the Chelsea v Boro game in 1988, was like an all out riot. Made the Birmingham fancy dress game seem like a kids party.

stevek
11-10-2016, 12:46 PM
Three of us in our original seats in block E. A mate chose them as 3 of 5 - his brother is now in one of the other seats, while he himself is back a couple of seats away.

We were relocated to the Whitehorse for that first game against Barnsley.

fioreuk
11-10-2016, 12:51 PM
I was in it for the Chelsea v Boro game in 1988, was like an all out riot. Made the Birmingham fancy dress game seem like a kids party.

Was more fun in The Shed that day Rico. Half of London was in there that day. ;)

Pub Idol
11-10-2016, 01:34 PM
got shown around by a then young chukka umunna the now MP .. picked my seats on the back row and the rest is history

This is great:)

Dorking .Eagle
11-10-2016, 05:10 PM
For that Barnsley game they put me in the Arthur Wait. Cracking game from memory (4-3?). When the Holmesdale did open at the next home game (v Charlton?) there was no hot food available in the kiosks, just sandwiches, and the seats were very dusty!