PDA

View Full Version : 20 Years Ago Today,September 28th 1996 ANOTHER SIX! Palace 6 Southend 1!

Ismale
28-09-2016, 09:00 AM
It happens again! :eek: Following our 6 goal "Royal" Show at Reading the previous Saturday,Palace follow it up with another 6 goal rout! At Selhurst against Southend.

The Palace scorers that day in following order were Muscat,Houghton,Hopkin,Veart,Dyer & Freedman.Having watched the highlights its no lie to say we could've got 10! That day! :eek:

Dyer & Freedman missed sitters at 1-0 up (although,surprise! surprise! Dyer was offside! :D Veart missed a easy far post header at 2-0 & for a keeper who conceded 6! Simon Royce made a number of good saves.

Ex Eagle Paul Williams pulled 1 back with an excellent header at the Whitehorse end.

Give us your memories of what must have been a game seen through disbelieving eyes! :) :lux:

JJ
28-09-2016, 11:24 AM
I was at both those 6-1's and it was, as you rightly say, unbelievable. But note that even when dishing out a thrashing, yet another ex-player still managed to score against us.

'Six one, we only win six one...'

gold76
28-09-2016, 11:46 AM
Was this Bassett's last game before he buggered off to Forest?

Maiden Eagle
28-09-2016, 01:15 PM
Was this Bassett's last game before he buggered off to Forest?

No, he went to Forest at the end of Feb 97. This game was not long after he had turned down Man Citeh.

I was at this game. Christ, they really steamrollered Southend that day:p

TomOhio
30-01-2017, 06:49 PM
This was my Palace Pilgrimage match. We were on holiday in London and attended this match. The hotel concierge said he could get Man U tickets for us, but I insisted I wanted to see Palace. He waved me off, telling me to buy them at the stadium. We met some great folks and had a wonderful afternoon.

I don't want to believe it's been over 20 years ago... :frown:

Rob Harmer
30-01-2017, 06:59 PM
I'd been at a Wedding at Bosham the day before and stayed overnight at the Hotel. Slipped away after breakfast with my Southend supporting uncle. Guess his day wasn't as good as mine, took it very well though!! Good week all round after being at Elm Park too