PDA

View Full Version : The London Stadium

boroeagle
01-10-2016, 09:44 PM
Boro fans tell of terror after trouble breaks out at West Ham

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-fans-tell-absolutely-terrifying-11966830#ICID=ios_GazetteLiveNewApp_AppShare_Click _Other

Not sure if of interest but not very good

Biscuitmen
09-10-2016, 08:47 AM
You couldn't pay me to go and watch a game at that stadium.

Billy Rhino
09-10-2016, 09:16 AM
You couldn't pay me to go and watch a game at that stadium.

West Ham v Reading - FA Cup 6th Round?

bestperch
09-10-2016, 07:29 PM
Gonna be interesting when Chelsea go there in a couple of weeks.

Biscuitmen
10-10-2016, 04:28 PM
West Ham v Reading - FA Cup 6th Round?

Nope, wouldn't be interested!

CP Satellite
10-10-2016, 07:38 PM
Not surprised to read about the problems, virtually an impossible task to segregate fans and the Olympic Park is vast and has multiple entrances and exits, ideal for an ambush at a number of locations.

I'm not put off going, but I can't see there not being major trouble at any of West Ham's games versus London teams - I think all the big clubs have London fans too, seperating them on the tubes and trains will not be easy.

Oli28
10-10-2016, 08:45 PM
Not surprised to read about the problems, virtually an impossible task to segregate fans and the Olympic Park is vast and has multiple entrances and exits, ideal for an ambush at a number of locations.

I'm not put off going, but I can't see there not being major trouble at any of West Ham's games versus London teams - I think all the big clubs have London fans too, seperating them on the tubes and trains will not be easy.
What I don't get is that there weren't anywhere near these issues at Upton Park outside the ground when you'd be walking to and from the station alongside the home support and then getting on the tube with them.

CP Satellite
11-10-2016, 12:46 AM
What I don't get is that there weren't anywhere near these issues at Upton Park outside the ground when you'd be walking to and from the station alongside the home support and then getting on the tube with them.

It's the layout of the stadium that is the problem. The concourse is on the outside of the stadium (this is from memory of the 2012 Olympics, so I'm not 100%, but reports from this season back up what I saw back then) a bit like the away section of Fulham, except the concourse extends right around the stadium, no fences, no barriers, a good 1000 yards or more from the main tube station (Stratford) but because of the huge size of the Park which is over 20 times the size of an already huge stadium, there are dozens of exit and entry points, if you are going to get targeted, unlike the tube and train stations that have multiple CCTV cameras, securing the area outside the stadium would need a huge security prescence.

It seems West Ham are only just managing to segregate away fans inside the ground, after several meetings with the London Stadium security, who seem to be completely unfamiliar with dealing with a partisan football crowd.

I just think you have to try and blend in on the way to the ground stick to your section as much as you can.

The food and drink will be overpriced anyway, so best to eat and drink before the match, if the weather is crap, it won't be much fun queueing up in the rain for their rank beer and food.

scro
11-10-2016, 07:27 AM
Keeping an eye on this. This could be the first away game i consider whether it's really appropriate for My ten year old and I to go to. We spend a fair amount of time in the area as he plays futsal now and then at the copper box and trains weekly at drapers field. My plan would probably be to exit sharpish and walk to Leyton station as opposed to back to stratford.

This really does appear to have been a perfect storm for the stadium move though. The club messed it up sitting families and the more boisterous support all over the place in together, the stadium appears to be inadequately separated (you would have thought they should force them to leave large blocks of seats empty either side of the away fans, they have enough room). All this while West Ham are doing their best to get themselves relegated.

Billy Rhino
11-10-2016, 09:27 AM

I agree, the idea that when opposition fans mix then fights are inevitable is totally false. I remember the 3-1 win at the Amex when there was no segregation after the game and although there were a few words said there was no aggro.

The only reason this seems to have happened is that a group of young West Ham fans have probably watched Green Street or similar too much and have decided to try and create some aggro. Getting their arses handed to them by 1 Boro fan shows how tough they actually are but all the same it gets headlines.

A lot worse happens all around London on a daily basis with the out-of-control gang crime.

GorBlimey
03-11-2016, 01:55 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/nov/02/west-ham-olympic-stadium-deal-explained-london-mayor-sadiq-khan

DocSavage
04-11-2016, 05:51 PM
In general I have always considered white hart lane to be the most vile area, club, ground and fans*

but I now think that they have pretty close competition in a shambolic white elephant in a seriously run down area, with shipped in eejits

* refers to the single exception a cup game at aforementioned ground mid 80's with millwall in the days of Tiny Black (rip) & co bossing the place to destruction