PDA

View Full Version : Pubs for: Leicester

Norwich_Eagle
17-10-2016, 09:22 AM
Moving onto the more important things about away days...where is everyone drinking? Swan and Rushes?

Malaga Eagle
17-10-2016, 12:32 PM
Counting House

Norwich_Eagle
17-10-2016, 12:56 PM
Has that not turned into a poncey gastro pub?

Malaga Eagle
17-10-2016, 01:32 PM
Wouldn't call it poncey, not by South Norwood standards!

Maidstonecpfc
17-10-2016, 07:41 PM
In the Holiday Inn sports bar next to the ground.

leicester1
17-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Swan an Rushes maybe full of Germans.....the back bar anyway....Counting House is now a touch bigger and has a portable bar outside that fills your lager glass in 3 seconds so no problem queuing if your outside...only Carling I'm afraid....

hilairehair
17-10-2016, 09:43 PM
The Criterion (I know I say this every season.)

New LP
17-10-2016, 10:16 PM
Loaded Dog, turn left out of the station and about 10 minutes walk up the main road.

Probably not for people who dislike students mind you!

scro
18-10-2016, 09:01 AM
In the Holiday Inn sports bar next to the ground.

How much of an option is this? Does it get packed? Easy to get in?

Norwich_Eagle
18-10-2016, 09:32 AM
So it depends on your preference of students, Germans, quick lager or hotel prices then?

ebyeeckeagle
18-10-2016, 09:36 AM

It is rather good. Not sure why Swan and Rushes will be full of Germans but Leicester1 is sometimes cryptic in his posts........and there is a Brewdog too.

ebyeeckeagle
18-10-2016, 09:39 AM
So it depends on your preference of students, Germans, quick lager or hotel prices then?

Some great pubs in Leicester. And without being all Brexit about the germans, managed to avoid all the above before!

Norwich_Eagle
18-10-2016, 09:50 AM
I've never encountered the Germans at the S&R and I was at De Montfort for 3 years, not sure where this has come from. BrewDog is good obviously but a 10 minute walk in the wrong direction out the station for what it is worth.

averity
18-10-2016, 09:52 AM
few nice bars on the high street, thats where ill be, although leaves you with a 20-30 min walk to the ground

tasty_snacks
18-10-2016, 10:00 AM

It would be criminal to go to Leicester, one of the finest drinking cities in our fair isles, and go to the Holiday Inn. Absolutely criminal.

Literally anywhere else will be good. :p

averity
18-10-2016, 10:15 AM
especially when the holiday inn is 2 min away from the high street

Maidstonecpfc
18-10-2016, 10:35 AM
No idea to be honest. Just that one of my group was told that it was ok and we're all meeting up in there.

ebyeeckeagle
18-10-2016, 10:46 AM
No idea to be honest. Just that one of my group was told that it was ok and we're all meeting up in there.

It's each to their own, and it obviously depends if going by car and parking, kids etc. But I don't get going to a hotel bar when there are some super pubs in the town.

BERT'S HEAD
18-10-2016, 11:08 AM
It's even better than Derby these days for great pubs and beer.

Popester
18-10-2016, 11:12 AM
Used to love this pub when I was a student in Leicester: http://www.oldhorseleicester.co.uk/

scro
18-10-2016, 11:16 AM
It would be criminal to go to Leicester, one of the finest drinking cities in our fair isles, and go to the Holiday Inn. Absolutely criminal.

Literally anywhere else will be good. :p

believe me my pre match diet coke will taste just as good in a holiday inn. It will also be nice if it is close by and i can get a seat because the beer snobs think they are above it.

BERT'S HEAD
18-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Used to love this pub when I was a student in Leicester: http://www.oldhorseleicester.co.uk/

Cracking boozer but not really on a pub crawl route if that's your bag.

Oddjob
18-10-2016, 11:35 AM
Last 2 years just went to that American ribshack type place opposite the ground, get their early and get a table, they do fairly decent grub reasonably and will have the lunchtime game on, I shall do so again on Saturday.

ebyeeckeagle
18-10-2016, 01:09 PM
believe me my pre match diet coke will taste just as good in a holiday inn. It will also be nice if it is close by and i can get a seat because the beer snobs think they are above it.

Then the pubs advice doesn't really apply to you? Though I would still personally rather sit in a nice boozer than a hotel chain bar, even to sip a coke. Not sure why people who seek out a better quality product are 'snobs' but there you go.

Depends what you want from an away day - the experience is different for all of us I suppose.

I will be seeing a couple of sights (Cathedral and Guildhall, will take about 15 minutes I imagine but I do like to inflict that on my son), eating at a restaurant and then a couple of pints in a proper pub. Perhaps I am a culture and food snob too.

BERT'S HEAD
18-10-2016, 02:21 PM
Then the pubs advice doesn't really apply to you? Though I would still personally rather sit in a nice boozer than a hotel chain bar, even to sip a coke. Not sure why people who seek out a better quality product are 'snobs' but there you go.

Depends what you want from an away day - the experience is different for all of us I suppose.

I will be seeing a couple of sights (Cathedral and Guildhall, will take about 15 minutes I imagine but I do like to inflict that on my son), eating at a restaurant and then a couple of pints in a proper pub. Perhaps I am a culture and food snob too.

You can't be, you're going to Burnley ain't ya :p

ebyeeckeagle
18-10-2016, 02:36 PM
You can't be, you're going to Burnley ain't ya :p

:) Ah. Well, there are some towns where a McD is about the pinnacle of the food culture and the only visitors sight is probably a mill museum. Does the Travel Lodge have a bar there do you know?

Mr Bo Jangles
18-10-2016, 02:41 PM
Stopped off at The Huntsman, Narborough Road last few years; good if you are driving. Right side of town for a quick get away to motorway and pay 5 and you can leave your car there during match, probably 10-15 minute walk to ground. Had Sky so can watch the 12-30 match before going to the ground.

BERT'S HEAD
18-10-2016, 02:44 PM
:) Ah. Well, there are some towns where a McD is about the pinnacle of the food culture and the only visitors sight is probably a mill museum. Does the Travel Lodge have a bar there do you know?

Wouldn't know. But I have stayed there :supergrin:

tasty_snacks
18-10-2016, 02:51 PM

You could also do that in the stadium.

Leicester has some fine pubs. If you visit one of said pubs it will enhance your experience of the city and, I'd wager, even make your diet coke taste better.

Wolfnipplechips
18-10-2016, 03:27 PM

Which means that at least once a year you are correct and display impeccable taste.

scro
18-10-2016, 03:44 PM
You could also do that in the stadium.

Leicester has some fine pubs. If you visit one of said pubs it will enhance your experience of the city and, I'd wager, even make your diet coke taste better.

Yeah a seat in the cold watching the grass grow is the same.

Dorking .Eagle
18-10-2016, 06:36 PM
there are some towns where a McD is about the pinnacle of the food culture and the only visitors sight is probably a mill museum.

True dat

http://www.visitlancashire.com/things-to-do/queen-street-mill-textile-museum-p7837

Thank goodness for the cricket ground pavilion bar. Good(*) cheap grub too.

*assuming you like pie, chips, mushy peas and gravy

leicester1
18-10-2016, 10:30 PM
Blimey..........this ai'nt the North or Wolves.....you have a pick of fine pubs in Leicester...ENJOY.............From the train station you have a decent pub crawl........swerve the Criterion though....................

BERT'S HEAD
18-10-2016, 10:34 PM
Blimey..........this ai'nt the North or Wolves.....you have a pick of fine pubs in Leicester...ENJOY.............From the train station you have a decent pub crawl........swerve the Criterion though....................

The Criterion is superb.

leicester1
18-10-2016, 10:41 PM
yeah if your a student.........to be fair I wouldn't know......back in the day it was our Nags Head.....old skool pub......lots of stories from then...I bet Criterion can't come up with 1 interesting story.........anyway enjoy.........

Oddjob
19-10-2016, 07:52 AM
yeah if your a student.........to be fair I wouldn't know......back in the day it was our Nags Head.....old skool pub......lots of stories from then...I bet Criterion can't come up with 1 interesting story.........anyway enjoy.........

Anybody else read that in the style of a WW2 telegram?

scro
19-10-2016, 09:17 AM

Nah even in my drinking days i was never convinced you could beat a pint of fizzy cooking lager. Never saw the need to hunt a brew pub and have a wet dream about the ale ;).

ebyeeckeagle
19-10-2016, 10:11 AM
Nah even in my drinking days i was never convinced you could beat a pint of fizzy cooking lager. Never saw the need to hunt a brew pub and have a wet dream about the ale ;).

Some people love Adam Sandler films. Equally baffling to me.

Not having your average cooking lager drinker in these pubs is one of the factors for making them so much more inviting in any case.

tasty_snacks
19-10-2016, 10:36 AM

Not having your average cooking lager drinker in these pubs is one of the factors for making them so much more inviting in any case.

If by 'cooking lager' we're meaning mass produced lager, you'll find that in 9 out of 10 pubs anyway. Plenty of people drink it. I just don't see the point in having a drink, be it cooking lager, ale snob booze, non alcoholic or otherwise, and not availing yourself of the best places to do that in. Anywhere will do the job I guess, but I think it's a bit of a shame that having made the effort to trek up to Leicester - which throws up dozens of great options - people choose homogeneity and convenience over character. Especially when individual pubs are struggling up and down the land.

Horses for courses I guess.

Wadsie
19-10-2016, 10:57 AM
Loaded Dog, just up the hill after a left turn out of the station. Cheap, reasonable food, easy walk through Vicky Park down to the ground. Sky Sports too. :p

scro
19-10-2016, 10:58 AM

and yet you object to the idea you are snob..

scro
19-10-2016, 11:01 AM
If by 'cooking lager' we're meaning mass produced lager, you'll find that in 9 out of 10 pubs anyway. Plenty of people drink it. I just don't see the point in having a drink, be it cooking lager, ale snob booze, non alcoholic or otherwise, and not availing yourself of the best places to do that in. Anywhere will do the job I guess, but I think it's a bit of a shame that having made the effort to trek up to Leicester - which throws up dozens of great options - people choose homogeneity and convenience over character. Especially when individual pubs are struggling up and down the land.

Cooking lager - Just the weakest session lager on tap.

I understand what you mean but I don't arrive in Leicester until 13:24 and we are on the 17:26 home. So just need somewhere warm for half an hour that is conveniently located.

old git
19-10-2016, 02:29 PM
Went in the Rutland and Derby arms last year.Decent pub but expensive.

Tomahawks
20-10-2016, 09:32 PM
Any pub recommendations?

ebyeeckeagle
20-10-2016, 09:38 PM
Any pub recommendations?

Depends if you are after a cola or a beer:moo:

There's a thread a little bit below this which is full of good info and a hint of snobbery.

Tomahawks
21-10-2016, 08:13 AM
anybody have any Leicester pub recommendations?

Maidstonecpfc
21-10-2016, 02:28 PM
anybody have any Leicester pub recommendations?
The Counting House was good last year with Eddie Mcgoldrick leading the singing.

leicester1
21-10-2016, 03:16 PM
Pub 5 minutes walk from the Counting House is showing the game ..........

bradpitt
21-10-2016, 04:57 PM
Pub 5 minutes walk from the Counting House is showing the game ..........

Is there any decent boozers near the station leicester1? I've got a couple of hours to kill after the game as I'm getting a later train back

jjeagle
21-10-2016, 07:05 PM
The Counting House was good last year with Eddie Mcgoldrick leading the singing.

I am sorry to disagree but the Counting House is pants. Packed to the rafters and you cant get near the bar. ( wasn't Eddie singing in there the year before?). Its only good point is its proximity to the ground.

Maidstonecpfc
21-10-2016, 07:29 PM
I am sorry to disagree but the Counting House is pants. Packed to the rafters and you cant get near the bar. ( wasn't Eddie singing in there the year before?). Its only good point is its proximity to the ground.
It was last year mate. So where do you suggest thats not packed to the rafters on a matchday, near to the ground, great access to the bar with a massive Palace following?

bald-eagle
21-10-2016, 10:16 PM

I'm all for it - stay where you are,in the homogeniality and convenience pubs and leave me enjoy a pint without feeling like I'm in the middle of a surge down the Holmesdale terrace

New LP
22-10-2016, 04:30 AM

Was in Wolverhampton the other day, nothing to do with football and stumbled upon some excellent Black Country ales. Whether you can get into these places on a match day is of course another issue.

Penstone Eagle
22-10-2016, 06:30 AM
I'm all for it - stay where you are,in the homogeniality and convenience pubs and leave me enjoy a pint without feeling like I'm in the middle of a surge down the Holmesdale terrace

great times though

leicester1
22-10-2016, 07:18 AM
Swan and Rushes for ales.......as for the Couting House,its been altered so much you'll have to do a double take,theres also a portable bar outside that fills your pint glass in 3 seconds so the bar won't be as pascked as last season..........after the match near the station,Last Plantagenet on Grandby Street,2 minutes walk if that......Enjoy ......

Dal
22-10-2016, 11:07 AM
Is there any decent boozers near the station leicester1? I've got a couple of hours to kill after the game as I'm getting a later train back

The Parcel Yard next to Leicester station is great.

Up the hill towards the park are The Lansdowne and the Marquis Wellington. Both good.

Bit further into town I would recommend The Criterion, Ale Wagon (Charles Street) or Rutland & Derby.

Would avoid The Hind opposite Leicester BR. The 'Spoons on Granby Street is also well ropey.

Dal
22-10-2016, 11:13 AM
Great exhibition on at Leicester Museum until tmw about Leicester City and their glorious last season. Really good for all footy fans not just Leicester. 2 mins walk from Leicester station on the way to the stadium.