PDA

View Full Version : 15 Years Ago Today,A Magnificent 7! Wolves 0 Palace 1.

Ismale
20-10-2016, 07:57 AM
Remember this game? A Jovan Kirovski goal on the cusp of HT gave us all 3 points at Molineux & Saw Palace leapfrog the hosts to become leaders of Division 1. :)

It was our 7th successive league victory in a row & we were playing lovely free flowing football & scoring goals aplenty with Freedman/Morrison banging them in upfront & Kirovski creating chances aplenty in the "No10" role.

After heavy early defeats to Nottingham Forest,Millwall :grrr: & Portsmouth,after starting the season with 2 straight league wins & a League Cup win at Leyton Orient,Bruce brought in Steve Vickers on loan from Middlesbrough to partner new signing Tony Popovic at the heart of defence & it all suddenly clicked into place,we also won at Everton on penalties in the League Cup during this time :lux:

Kirovski had 1 of those Golden mini Palace careers,if the flat nosed elephant faced C*nt Bruce didn't F*ck off to Birmingham in November I'm sure he would've continued in the same vein & we could've,at least,made the playoffs that season.

Unfortunately "Clever" Trevor never rated him & we ended up with Akinbiyi & mid table! :(

Anyone on here go to this game? I assume it wasn't the most pleasurable experience afterwards either!? :supergrin:

Langers
20-10-2016, 08:07 AM
I was there - great sing song at half time :)

Maidstoned Eagle
20-10-2016, 03:55 PM
22 minutes in.

fwJ3dZGVfAQ

Pub Idol
20-10-2016, 03:59 PM
Brief but glorious time for Palace.

jaspercpfc
20-10-2016, 04:00 PM
That was a really enjoyable time to watch Palace without huge expectations. The Bruce team scored plenty of goals, and Dougie/Clint enjoyed the best partnership up top since the Wright/Bright days.
Kirovski was a tidy player, I believe he was an ex Youth player at United and Bruce had followed his career. Took the goal well at Molineux, albeit with a slight deflection. Lenny and the subway army were pretty timid in comparison to their reaction after their play off defeat in 97' :D (although I know a friend of 917L took a hit that day from memory)
Aki's goal at home to Wimbledon deserves a mention, an absolute scorcher into the whitehorse end to complete the 4-0 win.
Norwich at home a few weeks was a terrific game in front of the tv camera's, before Bruce was placed on "gardening leave" and ultimately buggered off up the M40.
Vickers did a steady job at the back, and I believe a 900k fee had been agreed between SJ & Middlesborough but he then teamed up with Bruce at Brum a month later on loan before making the move permanent (although he didn't impress the blue nose fans)
I still remember the Easter Monday match when Bruce returned to Selhurst in a 0-0 stalemate, and as our season was petering out, Brum were pushing for the play offs and would ultimately secure a place to the Prem.

Maidstoned Eagle
20-10-2016, 04:19 PM
Vickers did a steady job at the back, and I believe a 900k fee had been agreed between SJ & Middlesborough but he then teamed up with Bruce at Brum a month later on loan before making the move permanent (although he didn't impress the blue nose fans)

The Vickers sticking point was that he wouldn't move to London, he wanted to come to training a few times a week.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
20-10-2016, 04:24 PM
Real up and down season where a new Palace era beckoned then fizzled out. Still believe we'd have won the title had Bruce stayed but have to admit we played some great football under flat nose. Freedman is also a devisive figure these days but he was such a smart, cultured striker for us and it's amazing how often Morrison took his chances, superb finisher.

Dorking .Eagle
21-10-2016, 05:45 AM
Went to it. One of the things I particularly remember about the whole Bruce/Francis swapover was that Trevor Francis did a fans forum in the Stephensons after only a few games of taking over, and in response to a fans question he almost excused Bruse wanting to go to Birmingham, saying it was the 2nd biggest city in the country. He clearly so loved the place despite having only then recently been sacked by them!

Pub Idol
21-10-2016, 11:08 AM
Went to it. One of the things I particularly remember about the whole Bruce/Francis swapover was that Trevor Francis did a fans forum in the Stephensons after only a few games of taking over, and in response to a fans question he almost excused Bruse wanting to go to Birmingham, saying it was the 2nd biggest city in the country. He clearly so loved the place despite having only then recently been sacked by them!

That was a strong feeling from both of them that the Brum job was a better job. We didn't see it that way - And even now it seems odd. I think all of the midland teams (Villa aside) are all of a similar ilk and not unlike ourselves. He left us for them and it worked out great but it could just as easy been us.

Pub Idol
21-10-2016, 11:12 AM
Bruce leaving shocked the country (football wise) at the time. It set a precedent IMO that a manager can walk out at any time no matter how well you are doing.

It felt like de ja vue when Freedman left in 2012.

CedarEagle
21-10-2016, 01:08 PM
I was doing match reporting for Press Assn that season as a 2nd job (dream job) and never forget attending press conference after we lost 0-1 to WBA at home the night before Bruce left. Whole conference was him slimily not answering questions about B'ham job which he'd clearly already accepted.

I just sat and made notes. Couldn't say what I felt which was that as an ex- Moan U scum I somehow knew he'd let us down.

Maidstoned Eagle
21-10-2016, 03:15 PM
Bruce leaving shocked the country (football wise) at the time. It set a precedent IMO that a manager can walk out at any time no matter how well you are doing.

It felt like de ja vue when Freedman left in 2012.
Bruce had already had form for leaving after a short time, before this, leaving Sheffield Utd after 1 season, sacked from Huddersfield after a season and a bit and then leaving Wigan to join us after less than 2 months.

charltonhater
21-10-2016, 07:42 PM
Another thread that makes me feel old.

I remember thos Wolves away game really well (admittedly in those days I was too young to spend hours drinking before away games). Could easily have won by 3 or 4
The transformation from April 2001 to October 2001 was staggering. Probably a better side then any of those which won promotion via play offs.

Would have won the league if we hadn't done a "typical Palace"

Thanet Eagle
31-10-2016, 04:24 PM
This was a brief but really enjoyable spell. The Norwich home game always sticks in my memory as well the run coming to an end in a mid-week game up north, Burnley maybe ?

Pub Idol
31-10-2016, 04:38 PM
Bruce had already had form for leaving after a short time, before this, leaving Sheffield Utd after 1 season, sacked from Huddersfield after a season and a bit and then leaving Wigan to join us after less than 2 months.

He did you right - But being top of the league. Still hurts a bit now :D

tasty_snacks
31-10-2016, 04:47 PM
I was at this one. Drove up from uni in Exeter in my old green mini - which had a habit of not completing journeys. Funny what the memory does though - I remember the goal as a free kick. We were very good in this match, and fully deserving of the points. To go somewhere like Wolves and win, moreover deserve to win, was huge at the time. I also remember being showered with God knows what from the scummers above. Not that that mattered at full time.

That spell we had under Bruce is up there with the spell under Bassett when Palace played some of the best football I've seen down the years.

sl6 Eagle
02-11-2016, 10:26 AM
I remember taking my girlfriend to her first live match when we beat Wimbledon 4-0, what a goal by Aki!! I had to explain its not normally that good watching Palace. How good were Freedman and Morrison together!!

welshneil
22-01-2017, 11:39 PM
That subway after the match was pretty hairy!

milky87
22-01-2017, 11:45 PM
22 minutes in.

fwJ3dZGVfAQ

I was at the game but for some reason always remembered it as a free kick????????

How good was Dougie Freedman :love:

the digger
23-01-2017, 12:29 AM
Great away day.

Was late arriving to the game so parked in the sainsburys car park across the road only to discover, after the game, that there was a minimum spend for using the facilities. So, while my mate queued at the exit I ducked in and purchased a couple of crates of Stella for the celebratory journey home, during which we bumped into a bunch of forest fans (who'd been at the den that day) and had a game of five-a-side in the motorway services car park.

Were any of you the other three Palace in our team?

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
23-01-2017, 03:41 AM
Remember this game? A Jovan Kirovski goal on the cusp of HT gave us all 3 points at Molineux & Saw Palace leapfrog the hosts to become leaders of Division 1. :)

It was our 7th successive league victory in a row & we were playing lovely free flowing football & scoring goals aplenty with Freedman/Morrison banging them in upfront & Kirovski creating chances aplenty in the "No10" role.

After heavy early defeats to Nottingham Forest,Millwall :grrr: & Portsmouth,after starting the season with 2 straight league wins & a League Cup win at Leyton Orient,Bruce brought in Steve Vickers on loan from Middlesbrough to partner new signing Tony Popovic at the heart of defence & it all suddenly clicked into place,we also won at Everton on penalties in the League Cup during this time :lux:

Kirovski had 1 of those Golden mini Palace careers,if the flat nosed elephant faced C*nt Bruce didn't F*ck off to Birmingham in November I'm sure he would've continued in the same vein & we could've,at least,made the playoffs that season.

Unfortunately "Clever" Trevor never rated him & we ended up with Akinbiyi & mid table! :(

Anyone on here go to this game? I assume it wasn't the most pleasurable experience afterwards either!? :supergrin:

I didn't go to the Wolves away but I remember being stupid enough to travel my usual two hours to the Millwall 3-1 defeat only to realise it was all ticket. Being locked out was bad enough ( although I understand it was a mercy ) but what made it seem even worse at the time was seeing the only woman in my life that scared me. She was, unsurprisingly, a Millwall fan. I would say some kind of Dr Moreau experimentation was going on down in the bowels of The Den as this particular lady seemed to be a tattooed hybrid of human female ( I assume human and she had tits ) bulldog, pikey and Wayne Rooney. The sort of face that haunts your w*nk bank for years.

orp pisshead1
23-01-2017, 02:03 PM
Real up and down season where a new Palace era beckoned then fizzled out. Still believe we'd have won the title had Bruce stayed but have to admit we played some great football under flat nose. Freedman is also a devisive figure these days but he was such a smart, cultured striker for us and it's amazing how often Morrison took his chances, superb finisher.

More to clints game than just tho , he could pass and great work rate . Probably my fav all time forward :p.

Oldtown Eagle
23-01-2017, 02:23 PM
What price that Dougie now?