PDA

View Full Version : Nico Rosberg retires

exiledeagle1
02-12-2016, 01:21 PM
Wow thats a shock....

Big Gav
02-12-2016, 01:23 PM
It is says he has reached his career goal.
Personally I think he got lucky this year with Hamilton's car problems
To put him up there as one of the top drivers he should have at least defended his title

ebyeeckeagle
02-12-2016, 01:29 PM
Pretty lame really.

st albans
02-12-2016, 01:30 PM
I've never liked him, shows to me a guy that knows he couldn't defend his title. Pussied out if you ask me. Who do they get in to partner Lewis?? Very interesting

greybot
02-12-2016, 01:31 PM
Hamilton broken him.

WorthingEagle
02-12-2016, 01:31 PM
Fair play. He's made his money, he's won a world title, no need to risk his life any further. And who needs the hassle of having a whining prat like Hamilton as a team-mate?

greybot
02-12-2016, 01:34 PM
Fair play. He's made his money, he's won a world title, no need to risk his life any further. And who needs the hassle of having a whining prat like Hamilton as a team-mate?

Especially when he's much faster than you!

MasterYoda
02-12-2016, 01:34 PM
anyone reckon this won't stick?

Sam Spade
02-12-2016, 01:37 PM
Especially when he's much faster than you!

Put the prima Donna in a Force India and see how quick he is.

Maidstoned Eagle
02-12-2016, 01:38 PM
Buck buck buck buckaaaaark!

Steamy
02-12-2016, 01:48 PM
Auf Wiedersehen...

Worksop Palace
02-12-2016, 01:49 PM
Dull bloke

Dull sport

greybot
02-12-2016, 01:50 PM

Could say that for Schumacher, Senna, Prost, Clark, Moss etc too.

John1000
02-12-2016, 01:52 PM
Take the undeserved cash and run. Massive bottle job.

in-exile
02-12-2016, 01:53 PM
Who can blame him racing alongside the nutter! Max or Alonso would kick Lewis Hamilton's ass!

Eaglefoz
02-12-2016, 01:55 PM

One for the conspiracy theorists!
Or some of the foul play that Hamilton has been whining about (his Mercedes having lots of "mechanical" problems whilst Rosberg's hasn't) has actually been found out to be foul play and he has been made to retire because of it.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
02-12-2016, 01:58 PM
Big surprise. Not sure its good for F1 - unless Max goes to Mercedes?

Icy
02-12-2016, 01:58 PM
Hamilton broken him.

So broken he won the world title? :supergrin:

If anyone's broken its little Lewis. His little stint off the rails and bizarre behavior have cost him just as much as his mechanical problems.

It would be good to see Hamilton cut out the bullshit, quit the whining and focus on what he's really good at for a change.

greybot
02-12-2016, 02:00 PM

If anyone's broken its little Lewis. His little stint off the rails and bizarre behavior have cost him just as much as his mechanical problems.

It would be good to see Hamilton cut out the bullshit, quit the whining and focus on what he's really good at for a change.

Easy podiums and race wins over his team mate but for the mechanical faults.

Sam Spade
02-12-2016, 02:05 PM

I could, but I didn't.

greybot
02-12-2016, 02:10 PM
Three World Championships, two with Rosberg teammate and an estimated 40 points lost to him due to mechanical faults this season. I guess haters gotta hate though.

spunky
02-12-2016, 02:12 PM
Presumably they'll want a german to replace him...

Icy
02-12-2016, 02:14 PM
Easy podiums and race wins over his team mate but for the mechanical faults.

Easy? People get way too over excited. Hamilton is the better driver (although not up with the proper greats) but there's not that big a gap between them.

Titles there for the taking for Lewis next season if he stops acting like a child. Be interesting to see who his team mate will be.

SeanPalace84
02-12-2016, 02:19 PM
What a wanker! Never deserves the title, Mercedes handed it to him. Bottle job

greybot
Titles there for the taking for Lewis next season if he stops acting like a child. Be interesting to see who his team mate will be.

Amazingly his off track antics and everything the media threw at him didn't affect his title defence this season.

An engine blow out in a race he was leading and ERS failures during qualifying did.

jamesc_24
Nico Hulkenburg will be kicking himself.

Ridcully
02-12-2016, 02:21 PM
Classy. Wish him the best of life. Thats how I'd want to go too.

I'm a Hamilton fan but Nico has just shown him how to behave.

Maidstoned Eagle
02-12-2016, 02:22 PM

If one knew ones history one would know that they all did well in inferior cars before hitting the heights, but one so obviously doesn't. Or not.....dunno.......

grand aigle
02-12-2016, 02:24 PM
Hamilton is a much better driver than Rosberg. Better in the wet when Rosberg bottles it, faster in the dry too. Better under pressure which rosberg can't handle......but for a forced retirement whilst leading comfortably, Lewis would have won the title easily,(for the 4th time).... Mercedes engineered the title for rosberg to get a German champion..and for those saying Lewis isn't a good driver, 3 world championships say otherwise.....roll on 2017 !

Icy
02-12-2016, 02:25 PM
Amazingly his off track antics and everything the media threw at him didn't affect his title defence this season.

An engine blow out in a race he was leading and ERS failures during qualifying did.

Not followed it religiously as its been lacking entertainment but that's not the way it seems to me. Still its all opinions.

greybot
02-12-2016, 02:26 PM
If one knew ones history one would know that they all did well in inferior cars before hitting the heights, but one so obviously doesn't. Or not.....dunno.......

The gap is much bigger between the top teams and the chasing pack these days. But if I were talking about them as prima donnas one could argue they were all that over their careers. Especially Senna and Schumi.

Mercedes knew Hamilton was going to be a big star during his go kart days aged 10. Hence giving him a contract at such a young age. It's not his fault they saw his talent so early on and had a car fast enough to win Championships for him.

Icy
02-12-2016, 02:31 PM
...and Prost was definitely a Prima Donna. Highly dislike-able at times despite being a quality driver.

swissroll
02-12-2016, 02:32 PM

Depends who replaces Rosberg. If the merx is still the car there are 4 drivers out there I think are quicker than Rosberg. Would be very interesting to see him paired with Ricciardo

greybot
02-12-2016, 02:34 PM
Vettel and Hamilton in the same team would make F1(for the masses) interesting again.

Icy
02-12-2016, 02:45 PM
Vettel is the obvious choice. Riccardo or Alonso or even Verstappen would be interesting.

Adlerhorst
02-12-2016, 02:53 PM
I don't think Vettel is as fast or complete a driver as Hamilton, Alonso or Ricciardo personally

CommercialStone
02-12-2016, 02:56 PM
What happened to that new F1 where they all drove the same cars?

Latvian Eagle
02-12-2016, 03:06 PM

Oh **** off. We don't want him. :eek:

Latvian Eagle
02-12-2016, 03:07 PM
Nico Hulkenburg will be kicking himself.

Never too late. I am fearing if they show an interest in Perez as the quiet lesser driver to main man Hamilton.

swissroll
02-12-2016, 03:09 PM
The only time Ricciardo went head to head with Hamilton in the same machinery a few years back, he destroyed Hamilton, consistently 7/10ths a lap quicker, Vettel same car was well off both of them

Jason
02-12-2016, 03:18 PM
Who can blame him racing alongside the nutter! Max or Alonso would kick Lewis Hamilton's ass!

Max maybe, Alonso no. Let's not forget that Hamilton had the beating of Alonso in equal cars in his debut season.

As an aside, I get that Hamilton is not always an easy guy to like given some of his antics. But with the truly top drivers , that seems a common trait (Schumacher and Senna both had their fair share of asshole behaviour in their careers that dwarfs anything Hamilton has done for example). Perfectly fair enough to dislike him for that imho, but I don't see how anyone can deny that he is an incredibly rare talent, and by a distance the best British driver of the last 40 years.

Sam Spade
02-12-2016, 03:20 PM
The gap is much bigger between the top teams and the chasing pack these days. But if I were talking about them as prima donnas one could argue they were all that over their careers. Especially Senna and Schumi.

Mercedes knew Hamilton was going to be a big star during his go kart days aged 10. Hence giving him a contract at such a young age. It's not his fault they saw his talent so early on and had a car fast enough to win Championships for him.

No one has ever or will ever argue that Jim Clark was a prima Donna.
Hamilton is a fantastic driver, the best currently (including Rosberg) in F1 IMO. He could could do with some humility though.

Ridcully
02-12-2016, 03:23 PM
No one has ever or will ever argue that Jim Clark was a prima Donna.
Hamilton is a fantastic driver, the best currently (including Rosberg) in F1 IMO. He could could do with some humility though.

I take your Hamilton and raise you a Max Verstappen

Sam Spade
02-12-2016, 03:31 PM

Point taken. Verstappen in a Merc would be entertaining.

Scrumpy
02-12-2016, 03:45 PM
Mercedes will be keen to avoid any driver that will clash with Hamilton (just like the Hamilton/Alonso years at McLaren) so will avoid Verstappen. Lewis and Max at the same team would be too volatile.

It's probably going to be Wehrlein

JDawg
02-12-2016, 03:49 PM
Mercedes will be keen to avoid any driver that will clash with Hamilton (just like the Hamilton/Alonso years at McLaren) so will avoid Verstappen. Lewis and Max at the same team would be too volatile.

It's probably going to be Wehrlein

Bring back JB.

ob13
02-12-2016, 03:57 PM
is this the guy who was whining about hamilton going too slow in front of him? i have no real interest in formula one but was at my dads so saw a bit of it.I did a few years club racing on bikes years ago and have been back in the paddock last 3 years helping a mate out who started racing and have never heard of a racer who would sit behind someone going slow if it didn't suit them! i think my best finish was an 11th place at thruxton but i still had a racers instinct in every race to attack the guy in front if i thought i could weather i had been in 40th place or 1st! whiney car racing ponce

spunky
02-12-2016, 04:06 PM
Would love to see Alonso in the other Merc, wont happen but it would be great if it did

Les Butler
02-12-2016, 04:09 PM
Complete Rich boy bottle job got handed the title on a plate knew it would not be handed to him a 2nd time so he took the ball away quick and doesn't want to play anymore.

Even with all the disadvantages Hamilton still nearly caught him and again he knew it would be a one off.

I always wonder why people buy into the celebrity shit I only watch the race read the report maybe the next day and honestly don't give a monkeys about what Hamilton does away from the track or what he says...

Bintang
02-12-2016, 04:21 PM
Bit of a surprise. But why not go out as Champion.

Pascal Wehrlein to take his place maybe. Think he is still the reserve driver for Mercedes. Allows them to have a German on the team.

Most of the top drivers already signed up for other teams.

eagle mart
02-12-2016, 04:35 PM
F1 needs some fresh new faces. Lewis and Nico are odious little turds. And it’s dull carving up the Championship between them.

danpalace07
02-12-2016, 04:37 PM

behave

imagine not rating Lewis as a brilliant driver, maybe up there with the best. IMO he's a bit like Beckham in that his off the track antics make people underrate him.

as for Rosberg, I'm no fan but fair play on making the most of LH's bad luck and staying consistent. One more race though... Hopefully Mercedes get someone more interesting. Not exactly blown away by the idea of Ocon or Wehrlein getting the seat, too early for them. Mad Max though, now that would be fun...

danpalace07
02-12-2016, 04:40 PM

so excited to see how Max develops over the years, so much potential there! Already a big fanboy for him

Beckenham Boy
02-12-2016, 04:44 PM
They will never bring in Max or someone else who will compete against Lewis. Expect a No1 like we have had in the last few years with a support role rather than competitor

917L
02-12-2016, 05:05 PM

Its completely the opposite

Back in Sennas day the team sat the back of the field were 7 seconds a lap slower at times....

917L
02-12-2016, 05:10 PM
Prost retired as champion, but it was his 4th, as he refused to be team mate to Senna again, so understandable

Jochen Rindt won his title posthumously, so wasnt able to defend his tile in 1971

Cant recall any other champions not defending their titles?

Jason
02-12-2016, 05:19 PM
Prost retired as champion, but it was his 4th, as he refused to be team mate to Senna again, so understandable

Jochen Rindt won his title posthumously, so wasnt able to defend his tile in 1971

Jackie Stewart,albeit it was his third. Fangio too (after his fifth) if you go back far enough.

917L
02-12-2016, 05:20 PM
Jackie Stewart,albeit it was his third. Fangio too (after his fifth) if you go back far enough.

Doh, forgot about JYS

norwoodeagle
02-12-2016, 05:33 PM

Don't you mean a Winning more races and pole position , three time world champion team mate.

st albans
02-12-2016, 05:42 PM
His little stint off the rails and bizarre behavior have cost him just as much as his mechanical problems.

Factually incorrect. If Lewis hadn't had mechanical problems this year he'd have won quite easily. There were probably two races where Lewis wasn't focussed and still finished in the top 3

st albans
02-12-2016, 05:46 PM
The only time Ricciardo went head to head with Hamilton in the same machinery a few years back, he destroyed Hamilton, consistently 7/10ths a lap quicker, Vettel same car was well off both of them

I might have missed something obvious, but when have they ever driven the same machinery?

Zulu84
02-12-2016, 05:48 PM

Max is fast but don't think he's developed the consistency or experience to do what is necessary to win the championship...yet. also fear that his over the limit driving style will eventually go very very wrong for him

Think Bottas is a strong contender for the seat

Maiden Eagle
02-12-2016, 05:52 PM
Can he play in Goal tomorrow ?

cpfc4evandeva
02-12-2016, 05:55 PM
:D

Joe85
02-12-2016, 06:16 PM
I could, but I didn't.

Which makes it a shit point.

Adlerhorst
02-12-2016, 06:22 PM
I might have missed something obvious, but when have they ever driven the same machinery?
I believe he is talking about a certain car show

Icy
02-12-2016, 07:31 PM
Factually incorrect. If Lewis hadn't had mechanical problems this year he'd have won quite easily. There were probably two races where Lewis wasn't focussed and still finished in the top 3

You can assume he would of won but it can't possibly be factually incorrect. You have no proof Lewis would have won those races (and if he'd have won those other two he still would have won the championship) so I call bullshit in your claim. Believe what you want to believe but don't make shit up and call it fact.

SeanPalace84
02-12-2016, 07:43 PM
You can assume he would of won but it can't possibly be factually incorrect. You have no proof Lewis would have won those races (and if he'd have won those other two he still would have won the championship) so I call bullshit in your claim. Believe what you want to believe but don't make shit up and call it fact.

He would have won it, simple!

SeanPalace84
02-12-2016, 07:44 PM
Excited to see who is going to take over the seat next year! Have a good feeling about the 2017 championship and reckon it will be a lot better than this year.

Harry Bassett
02-12-2016, 07:59 PM

I know very little about racing cars (except I would never drive one) but as limited as my knowledge is I assume you meant Maclaren not Mercedes spotting the potential in Hamilton.

ChiswickEagle
02-12-2016, 08:11 PM

Now I don't like Hamilton but the above is rubbish.

As for Rosberg, most say he won by default. Most say Hamilton is quicker. A true champion would come out next season and prove the doubters wrong.

Rosberg has quite simply bottled it.

Owngoal
02-12-2016, 08:58 PM

As for Rosberg, most say he won by default. Most say Hamilton is quicker. A true champion would come out next season and prove the doubters wrong.

Typically Germanic. Would never win it again

pauldrulez
02-12-2016, 08:59 PM

I don't involve myself in F1 stuff anymore, but to say someone who has driven for 10 years has "bottled it" is fantasy talk.

There's a reason why every single Hamilton team-mate has ended up disliking him and in a rivalry. It isn't his talent that caused the issues early on at McLaren, or now with Mercedes.

He was very, very good friends with Rosberg from his karting days, and look how that ended up.

Rosberg is a family man, he has reached the pinnacle of the sport and feels like he has done enough. He was a future World Champion from the minute he stepped into the sport and he got his reward this year.

I'd also suggest that Mercedes may not be the best team next season, and lets see how Hamilton responds to adversity as it has previously resulted in sulking.

hughff
02-12-2016, 09:33 PM

No-one becomes world champion by default. No-one.

Mr Mojo Risin
02-12-2016, 09:45 PM

Nigel Mansell went to Indycar instead of defending his title and became the only person to hold the F1 and Indycar titles at the same time.

Rosberg will never be seen as a great world champion, a bit like his father, Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve. Shocked he has decided to retire, I really hope Mercedes replace him with a top driver otherwise Hamilton may as well be given the 2017 title already. Would be great to see Alonso in that car, he deserves another shot at the title.

AJ's right boot
02-12-2016, 10:06 PM
I think Merc will want to avoid the headlines that having 2 number 1s rowing brings. I reckon that they will bring in someone that will accept being very much the number 2 driver.

davech
02-12-2016, 10:36 PM
What a wuss!

The greatest drivers the sport has ever known were never content with a single tile. They ALL strived for more, some with more success than others. He can now never be considered one of he greats.

Did he give up sex after his first shag?

Bo Jangles
03-12-2016, 08:53 AM

The Top Gear "reasonably priced car" is the only example I know of.

Adlerhorst
03-12-2016, 09:12 AM
I think Merc will want to avoid the headlines that having 2 number 1s rowing brings. I reckon that they will bring in someone that will accept being very much the number 2 driver.

Do you? They emailed me (I bought one of their motor vehicles last month) within about 15 minutes or the finish of the race saying do I want to have Nico Rosberg's cap or some such rubbish, and then less than 24 hours later there was an email from them about a chance to meet Lewis Hamilton.

They seem, or at least seemed, to be making the most of the marketing potential.

Beckenham Boy
03-12-2016, 12:06 PM
Interesting tweet from Brundle:

Confused. Paid handsomely to drive probably the greatest racing car of all time, one driver threatened to quit, the other retired early 🤔

greybot
03-12-2016, 01:12 PM
I know very little about racing cars (except I would never drive one) but as limited as my knowledge is I assume you meant Maclaren not Mercedes spotting the potential in Hamilton.

Oops . Meant that one. They did buy him a very nice mercedes while at our school so I get them confused still :moo2:

grand aigle
03-12-2016, 03:26 PM
I don't involve myself in F1 stuff anymore, but to say someone who has driven for 10 years has "bottled it" is fantasy talk.

There's a reason why every single Hamilton team-mate has ended up disliking him and in a rivalry. It isn't his talent that caused the issues early on at McLaren, or now with Mercedes.

He was very, very good friends with Rosberg from his karting days, and look how that ended up.

Rosberg is a family man, he has reached the pinnacle of the sport and feels like he has done enough. He was a future World Champion from the minute he stepped into the sport and he got his reward this year.

I'd also suggest that Mercedes may not be the best team next season, and lets see how Hamilton responds to adversity as it has previously resulted in sulking.

The main reason teammates fell out with him is simpleHE KEEPS ON BEATING THEM! HES FASTER THAN THEM!

biggus mickus
03-12-2016, 06:03 PM
A real champion, would defend his title, imo.

Latvian Eagle
03-12-2016, 06:08 PM
A real champion, would defend his title, imo.

He can't hear you through the pork scratchings. :moo:

Neckinger Eagle
03-12-2016, 06:19 PM

Mike Hawthorn.