PDA

View Full Version : Who else was at the Swansea and Blackburn 5-4 defeats?.

orp pisshead1
03-12-2016, 01:19 PM
Come on own up who else went to both games:D. No death threats to ref last week though.

matayusgiovanni
03-12-2016, 01:25 PM
I was at the Blackburn game, the horror, the horror.

Tom's Old Man
04-12-2016, 08:38 PM
Was at Blackburn, one of several trips to Ewood Park in the 80s. Not Swansea though.

LONDONMAN
05-12-2016, 10:03 AM
Yes, went to them both. The Blackburn match was more of a contest though, as they were one of our leading rivals for promotion, as opposed to Swansea, who were plumb bottom of the table and in terrible form.

Just like Swansea, I'm sure we actually lead twice (I think were 3-1 up at one stage?) but at 4-4 in the dying moments, Colin Hendry went on a surging run and got the winner in stoppage time.

We had so many epic games with Blackburn, home and away in the 80's and early 90's - but of course, the Play Off matches will always stand out, if you think about it, that was a 7-6 victory (over the two legs) with a late winner.

Can't really remember a dull game with them and I'e seen most of them home and away going back to the third division days under Allison.

stevek
05-12-2016, 12:44 PM
I tweeted Geoff Thomas after the Swansea game to ask him about the Blackburn game. He blamed the wind - said it made it a real game of two halves. (I didn't go to that on, but was at Swansea.)

Vince Hilaire's Afro
05-12-2016, 01:25 PM
I'm sure the Blackburn game (weren't there a few others that season like it - West Brom maybe?), Leicester away, Wimbledon home, Forest away and numerous other catastrophic drubbings never actually existed because Coppell was a god and Pardew is a fool.

orp pisshead1
05-12-2016, 02:12 PM
Yes, went to them both. The Blackburn match was more of a contest though, as they were one of our leading rivals for promotion, as opposed to Swansea, who were plumb bottom of the table and in terrible form.

Just like Swansea, I'm sure we actually lead twice (I think were 3-1 up at one stage?) but at 4-4 in the dying moments, Colin Hendry went on a surging run and got the winner in stoppage time.

We had so many epic games with Blackburn, home and away in the 80's and early 90's - but of course, the Play Off matches will always stand out, if you think about it, that was a 7-6 victory (over the two legs) with a late winner.

Can't really remember a dull game with them and I'e seen most of them home and away going back to the third division days under Allison.

Yeah I think we was 3-1 up , jj Timmons the ref iircc got death threats afterwards:D. Agree some crackers vs them and often "lively" up there.

in-exile
05-12-2016, 02:14 PM
And the 9-0 ...

orp pisshead1
05-12-2016, 02:14 PM
I'm sure the Blackburn game (weren't there a few others that season like it - West Brom maybe?), Leicester away, Wimbledon home, Forest away and numerous other catastrophic drubbings never actually existed because Coppell was a god and Pardew is a fool.

Ha at last sentence, difference is though VHA is you could see imo what Coppell was building up to and we was on a small budget( bit like this season if you look at net spend).

orp pisshead1
05-12-2016, 02:15 PM
And the 9-0 ...

Yep:lux: & Carlisle at home.
I might go and post on the I'm the best supporter thread:supergrin:

orp pisshead1
05-12-2016, 02:16 PM
And the 9-0 ...

Top top away game despite the result.

in-exile
05-12-2016, 02:18 PM
Top top away game despite the result.We sang to the end and didn't play that bad really...

orp pisshead1
05-12-2016, 02:23 PM
We sang to the end and didn't play that bad really...

Could've been so different if GT free went in instead of hitting post and Dalglish said we could've had 4-5 ourselves and as goals went in we got louder and louder earning a standing ovation from their main stand .

Vince Hilaire's Afro
05-12-2016, 02:29 PM
Could've been so different if GT free went in instead of hitting post and Dalglish said we could've had 4-5 ourselves and as goals went in we got louder and louder earning a standing ovation from their main stand .

Missed penalty also, but by then we were 6-0 down, so my gutnfeeling is that it wouldn't have changed the course of the game a great deal

in-exile
05-12-2016, 02:29 PM
Could've been so different if GT free went in instead of hitting post and Dalglish said we could've had 4-5 ourselves and as goals went in we got louder and louder earning a standing ovation from their main stand . Don't remember the GT effort but the missed penalty...that was Wright yes?
Biggest memory is the Liverpool fans giving us the ovation and the long coach trip home and work next day getting piss taking from a Chelsea fan who never went to games!

orp pisshead1
05-12-2016, 02:41 PM
Don't remember the GT effort but the missed penalty...that was Wright yes?
Biggest memory is the Liverpool fans giving us the ovation and the long coach trip home and work next day getting piss taking from a Chelsea fan who never went to games!

God knows who missed penalty can't remember, GT effort might've been shot from distance but am certain it was a free kick. We got train back and those of us that went from local ( quite a few of us) wore colours( not something we did unless match day) to say V to our millwall mates who of course were waiting to take piss:D. Was a Palace pub though luckily.

LONDONMAN
05-12-2016, 03:31 PM
God knows who missed penalty can't remember, GT effort might've been shot from distance but am certain it was a free kick. We got train back and those of us that went from local ( quite a few of us) wore colours( not something we did unless match day) to say V to our millwall mates who of course were waiting to take piss:D. Was a Palace pub though luckily.

Geoff Thomas missed the penalty. We were 6-0 down at the time. He hit the crossbar from a free-kick, which I think was at just 1-0 and I can remember at least one other near miss where I think Ian Wright headed wide from close in.

I will maintain to this day that at least one, if not two of the Liverpool goals were offside and their penalty should have been a free-kick, as the challenge was outside the box and in all probability, not even a foul.

So taking all things into account, it was just a narrow three goal defeat to a team that went on to win the League (the last Liverpool side to actually win a Championship - it was the same trophy that Palace picked up just four years later when we won the Endsleigh League Division One under Alan Smith!) - so no shame at all really, in my view, I have seen far more depressing defeats at grim places like Grimsby and Huddersfield and plenty of games where we have shown hardly any attacking intent at all, which was certainly not the case on that infamous night at Anfield in 1989.

To demonstrate what a rollercoaster it can be following Palace, we had several games with Birmingham City between 1986 to 1989, we lost one game away, 1-4, but went on to spank them 6-0 at home later that season, then 6-0 away early the next season - as well as 3-0 home win that season, followed by the rather infamous 4-1 win at the end of the 88/89 season.

Palace do have a habit of dishing out plenty of revenge to most clubs who give us a mauling!

orp pisshead1
05-12-2016, 04:11 PM
Geoff Thomas missed the penalty. We were 6-0 down at the time. He hit the crossbar from a free-kick, which I think was at just 1-0 and I can remember at least one other near miss where I think Ian Wright headed wide from close in.

I will maintain to this day that at least one, if not two of the Liverpool goals were offside and their penalty should have been a free-kick, as the challenge was outside the box and in all probability, not even a foul.

So taking all things into account, it was just a narrow three goal defeat to a team that went on to win the League (the last Liverpool side to actually win a Championship - it was the same trophy that Palace picked up just four years later when we won the Endsleigh League Division One under Alan Smith!) - so no shame at all really, in my view, I have seen far more depressing defeats at grim places like Grimsby and Huddersfield and plenty of games where we have shown hardly any attacking intent at all, which was certainly not the case on that infamous night at Anfield in 1989.

To demonstrate what a rollercoaster it can be following Palace, we had several games with Birmingham City between 1986 to 1989, we lost one game away, 1-4, but went on to spank them 6-0 at home later that season, then 6-0 away early the next season - as well as 3-0 home win that season, followed by the rather infamous 4-1 win at the end of the 88/89 season.

Palace do have a habit of dishing out plenty of revenge to most clubs who give us a mauling!

Was at all of them though thought the 6-0 back to back wins were other way round. Yes Liverpool were lucky with a few goals.

LONDONMAN
05-12-2016, 05:39 PM
Was at all of them though thought the 6-0 back to back wins were other way round. Yes Liverpool were lucky with a few goals.

The 6-0 home win v Brum was a massive stroke of luck for Uncle Ron, as it coincided with the day Palace fans had planned a demo against our proposed merger with Wimbledon FC - 'NO RON, NO CON, NO DONS'.

The huge win lightened the mood quite a bit, although both Palace and Wimbledon fans rejected the merger by over 90% in the subsequent ballot.

The away win was near the start of the following season, I think it is Palace's biggest ever away win in the top two divisions, although Palace did manage a 6-0 FA Cup win at Everton in 1921, when we had only just been promoted from Division Three only a year after joining the Football League!

orp pisshead1
05-12-2016, 05:48 PM
The 6-0 home win v Brum was a massive stroke of luck for Uncle Ron, as it coincided with the day Palace fans had planned a demo against our proposed merger with Wimbledon FC - 'NO RON, NO CON, NO DONS'.

The huge win lightened the mood quite a bit, although both Palace and Wimbledon fans rejected the merger by over 90% in the subsequent ballot.

The away win was near the start of the following season, I think it is Palace's biggest ever away win in the top two divisions, although Palace did manage a 6-0 FA Cup win at Everton in 1921, when we had only just been promoted from Division Three only a year after joining the Football League!

Remember the demos in the old stand. Wow stats re Everton cheers :p

delboy01
05-12-2016, 06:07 PM
I had a Blackburn mate at that time so we went a few times. Always in with the Blackburn. That one was not fun.

I can remember telling them about how good wrighty was one year when he was on the bench. He came on in the second half and my mates granddad said. 'That nig-nog of yours has not even touched the ball yet!!!!!' I kid you not. He then broke away and rounded the keeper to slot home. I went mental much to the disgust of the locals.

Not sure if PC has made it up there even now!!!

Jim Cannon
05-12-2016, 06:16 PM

When you say 7-6 do you mean over the league matches that season? Think home was 2-2 so makes sense. Then 4-3 on aggregate in Play Offs. So 20 goals shared in the 4 games that season we woild have won on away goals:D

BaldEagle96
06-12-2016, 03:31 PM
Just the Blackburn game although that season had a happy ending so here's hoping.....

selhursthoover
06-12-2016, 07:53 PM
Yup was at both.

bubbs11
11-12-2016, 06:45 PM
The Blackburn game was crazy and remember it took a few days to get over it. Remember being 3-1 up and Wrighty being blatantly taken out by their keeper and the ref playing on. That gave Blackburn a bit of hope and before you knew it they were 4-3 up.

wrightchipvcfc
14-12-2016, 10:41 PM
Unluckily at both