PDA

View Full Version : Thursday sackings

morrisons shirt
22-12-2016, 10:11 PM
Döes anybody Know The day Our Last 10 Managers have left on?
Im sure Most of them have been on a thursday for some Strange Reason

ElwissAtMemphis
23-12-2016, 12:35 AM
Neil Warnock (2nd time around) was the day after the Boxing Day match against Southampton which would have been a Saturday.

ElwissAtMemphis
23-12-2016, 12:36 AM
Pulis ... Thursday or Friday. Just before the first match of the season at Arsenal.

ElwissAtMemphis
23-12-2016, 12:38 AM
Holloway after a Monday night home defeat against Fulham. Maybe the next day or the day after but Thursday would be cutting it a bit late as I recall.

ElwissAtMemphis
23-12-2016, 12:42 AM
Freedman ... at some point between a 2-2 home draw against Millwall on Saturday and a 1-1 draw at Barnsley on a Tuesday night with Lennie Lawrence as caretaker. Not a sacking technically but I'm on a roll.

ElwissAtMemphis
23-12-2016, 12:44 AM
Burley. Almost immediately after a New Years Day defeat at Millwall. It was a Saturday so nowhere near a Thursday. We're not doing too well so far. I'll keep going.

ElwissAtMemphis
23-12-2016, 12:46 AM
Peter Taylor. It was during a fortnight's international break. No idea when exactly. I'll give give you that one.

ElwissAtMemphis
23-12-2016, 12:50 AM
Dowie quit ... Kember was straight after that execrable 0-5 at Wigan which was a Saturday or Sunday. He was gone well before Thursday.

Trevor Francis in the aftermath of a 4-1 win at Grimsby for some reason. The last match was on a Saturday. He'd definitely cleared his desk long before the following Thursday.

I'm tempted to give up at this point but I'll plough on.

ElwissAtMemphis
23-12-2016, 12:54 AM
Steve Bruce. His last match was a 0-1 home defeat on a Wednesday evening and everybody pretty well knew his departure was imminent. It could very well have been confirmed the next day, a Thursday!. But ... not a sacking technically so I'm going to have to disallow it.

ElwissAtMemphis
23-12-2016, 12:55 AM
Alan Smith: Sacked after the last home match against Wolves (Saturday) and the penultimate match of the season at Portsmouth (Tuesday). Not even close. Sorry.

ElwissAtMemphis
23-12-2016, 12:58 AM
Steve Coppell (final spell). Was it a sacking? There was a couple of embarrassing pre-season friendly results. What day of the week was it? No idea.

ElwissAtMemphis
23-12-2016, 01:04 AM
Venables. More of a redundancy than a sacking. We'll have to check with the auditors at De Loittes or whoever it was that handled that particular mess.

Coppell/Lombardo/Brolin/Lewington/Sparrow/Noades God only knows.

Bassett quit. Who was before him? Lewington & Peter Nicholas? I'm not even sure who was in what role let alone what happened to them.

Alan Smith & Steve Coppell both fell on their swords after the last match of the season. I remember Coppell being on the Monday. No idea about Smith but it's unlikely he would have hung on that long.

ElwissAtMemphis
23-12-2016, 01:11 AM
Mullery. Who cares.

Kember (mark 1). Famously he was on holiday when he heard so it must have been several days after the last match. Could have been any time.

Gradi. Sacked after a 1-2 defeat at home to Blackburn on a Saturday. Kember was in place for a League Cup tie at Sunderland on Wednesday so that fails the Thursday test.

Malcolm Allison (mark 2). Impossible to tell. Who knows what was going on behind the scenes in those days.

None of the others going back to the 60s really constitute sackings so... no. Most sackings haven't been on Thursday, no.

morrisons shirt
23-12-2016, 06:08 AM
Im sure coppell was a thursday as i rushed to selhurst to Say goodbye to The Great man
Pulis was thursday
Deformiert a Feb more

LONDONMAN
23-12-2016, 07:10 AM
Have'nt got the exact dates, but I think Dave Basset, in 1984, agreed to become Palace's boss after Mullery's sacking that Summer, but three days later said he was staying at Wimbledon after all!

I think he did similar to Man City when he eventually came to Palace in the 1996/97 season.

Also, there was the revolving door that was the 1980/81 season, where Venables, Ernie Walley, Malcolm Allison then finally Dario Gradi managed us, so a decent chance one of those was a Thursday - although technically, Venables buggered off after hearing that Ray Bloye was tapping up Howard Kendall to come to Selhurst (from Blackburn), Walley was a care-taker manager, Big Mal left by 'mutual consent' after Noades bought the club from Bloye in late January 1981 - so no actual sackings?

MENTALLY TOUGH
24-12-2016, 03:42 PM
Wasnt Trevor Francis sacked on a Good Friday which was his also birthday? Sure our ex chairman made a comment about it in his Dickens type classic.

jaspercpfc
24-12-2016, 04:47 PM
Im sure coppell was a thursday as i rushed to selhurst to Say goodbye to The Great man
Pulis was thursday
Deformiert a Feb more

Sir Steve did depart on a Thursday in May 93' a week after our relegation was confirmed. It was also the Cup Final replay between Wednesday/Arsenal and Jonathan Pearce who knew Steve very well got choked talking about his departure on air for Capital Gold. :frown:

Jim Cannon
24-12-2016, 07:51 PM
Dowie quit ... Kember was straight after that execrable 0-5 at Wigan which was a Saturday or Sunday. He was gone well before Thursday.

Pretty sure he was being sacked on the pitch (effectively, if not actually) straight after the game when Jordan was quite clearly giving him a massive bollocking:D

That game was a sat lunchtime I think.

Jim Cannon
24-12-2016, 07:52 PM
Pulis was thursday
Deformiert a Feb more

Eh?

ian king
25-12-2016, 04:04 PM
Have'nt got the exact dates, but I think Dave Basset, in 1984, agreed to become Palace's boss after Mullery's sacking that Summer, but three days later said he was staying at Wimbledon after all!

Fairly certain Bassett agreed to join on Thursday 17th May 1984 (three days after Mullery sacked) but then after using the weekend to think it over told Noades on Monday 21st he would not be our next manager. Steve Coppell appointed about the 3rd of June.

Maidstoned Eagle
27-12-2016, 09:07 AM
So, basically....no.

ElwissAtMemphis
27-12-2016, 07:15 PM
Wasnt Trevor Francis sacked on a Good Friday which was his also birthday? Sure our ex chairman made a comment about it in his Dickens type classic.

If Wikipedia is to be believed, Trevor Francis' birthday is 19th April, which was the date of our first match post his sacking with Steve Kember installed as caretaker so I think Jordan is embellishing the story a wee bit.

I remember the bit you're talking about. Allegedly telling Francis that he was sacked and him sadly saying "but it's my birthday".

SA Eagle
27-12-2016, 07:47 PM
If Wikipedia is to be believed, Trevor Francis' birthday is 19th April, which was the date of our first match post his sacking with Steve Kember installed as caretaker so I think Jordan is embellishing the story a wee bit.

I remember the bit you're talking about. Allegedly telling Francis that he was sacked and him sadly saying "but it's my birthday".

Jordan lied about something. Who'd have thought it?