PDA

View Full Version : Ron Noades interview - 2005

bubbs11
03-01-2017, 12:42 AM
Finally got round to uploading onto You Tube, Ron Noades 2005 hour long interview with 'Palace Radio'. It's a great interview and account detailing Ron's perspective on his tenure as chairman at our club from start to finish.

Couldn't find it online anymore, so dug out an MP3 version i'd downloaded and added a few pics to go alongside the interview.

Part 1 2Y6ojXvr3uU&feature=youtu.be

Part 2 6etsZ2HFsAc&feature=youtu.be

CPFC since 1989
03-01-2017, 12:45 AM
Nice one, thanks.

EmmerGreenEagle
03-01-2017, 02:22 AM
Thanks. Really good listen that.

Night Eagle
03-01-2017, 02:41 AM
Interesting that he talks about developing infrastructure to grow the Club and its fan base. Many similar views to Steve P.

Asagaya_Eagle
03-01-2017, 08:13 AM
Enjoyed that - thanks.

Scroatey
03-01-2017, 08:23 AM
Palace Radio's Jerry Clark with the questions. One day I'll get some Palace Radio archives up online, every show had to be recorded. You can relive some of the old post match phone-ins: https://www.mixcloud.com/palaceradio/

Maidstoned Eagle
03-01-2017, 08:37 AM
Interesting that he talks about developing infrastructure to grow the Club and its fan base. .

And then turns Streete Court into a golf course......

jhc
03-01-2017, 09:27 AM
One of the easiest interviews I did for Palace Radio, and probably one of the most enjoyable. It was recorded at Streete Court as part of the club centenary celebrations.

Ron divided opinion amongst Palace fans that's for sure, but you are unlikely to find much criticism from those who knew him well.
From my point of view, I found him to be a very warm & generous man with his time, and very passionate about our club.

Although the interview was a little over an hour, when the mic was switched off, we sat there and spoke for another hour about Palace, players & managers. He was very revealing and told me a number of things 'off the record' which I won't repeat here, but which helped to understand some of the decisions he made during his time running the club.

I warmed to him and feel he was a much misunderstood Palace Chairman.

LONDONMAN
03-01-2017, 10:42 AM
One of the easiest interviews I did for Palace Radio, and probably one of the most enjoyable. It was recorded at Streete Court as part of the club centenary celebrations.

Ron divided opinion amongst Palace fans that's for sure, but you are unlikely to find much criticism from those who knew him well.
From my point of view, I found him to be a very warm & generous man with his time, and very passionate about our club.

Although the interview was a little over an hour, when the mic was switched off, we sat there and spoke for another hour about Palace, players & managers. He was very revealing and told me a number of things 'off the record' which I won't repeat here, but which helped to understand some of the decisions he made during his time running the club.

I warmed to him and feel he was a much misunderstood Palace Chairman.

Many thanks to both Jerry for a fairly comprehensive interview and also bubbs for making it easily available for us to listen too on this thread.

I will always remain a passionately Anti-Noades Palace supporter (I meet him several times between 1981 and the year of that interview in 2005, had written correspondence with him - as did many other Palace fans I know) - he was always frank and forthright, but ultimately I found his motives to be very self centred - you notice he kept saying 'We' in the interview - when it becomes perfectly clear by the end of your interview that the 'We'refers to him and Novello his wife, who ultimately made a huge family fortune out of the various property deals that involved land secured for themselves on the back of his ownership including the Golf Clubs, one if which I believe you were interviewing him at.

He touched on the 'double ownership' of both Palace and Wimbledon FC in 1981 - which the Football had an Extraoridinary General Meeting in January 1981 to prevent continuing - he also tried to merge Palace and Wimbledon again in 1987 by way of a Members Vote at both clubs which was heavily rejected - I'm afraid that is hugely damning indictment of his motives - which I will always remain convinced were for his own wealth rather than the long term benefit of either Palace or Wimbledon - he also owned Milton Keynes City FC (who have since folded, but were long established before the current club in MK - because he wanted to move Wimbledon there as far back as 1979 - when his plans failed - he moved his attention to the merger of WFC and Palace instead.

I did develop a grudging respect for his tenacity and resolve in building Palace in the business model that he did - but he totally screwed up his long term plans by his actions in his first four seasons at Palace - hiring and firing Allison, Gradi, Kember and ultimately Mullery - which he had the decency to admit were all mistakes - but still seemed oblivious to the huge damage he had done to the Palace fanbase in this time - when pondering why we had such poor support in our 'halcyon' days of the early 1990's - quite patently because he had alienated so many long term fans from his actions between 1981-1984!

The interview, for me, is a litany of 'what if's' and 'if only's - what if Allison had stayed - what if he did get Basset instead - by the way - I was at Palace's first ever 'Open Day' in 1982 - one event from Noadesies time that was quite welcome (!) - where the question was asked of Mullery - why don't you sign Dave Beasant and Alan Cork from Wimbledon - to which he replied 'We don't need fourth division players from Wimbledon!' - older fans will know how that little moment played out over the following six years!

The details that came out about Mullery, Coppell, Alan Smith, Goldberg, Wright, Bright, Armstrong, Lombardo - fascinating and sometimes quite upsetting in equal measure - I would suggest his motives in selling to Goldberg - who seemed to be woefully out of his depth from day one - show you Noades was only really bothered about looking after 'we' than CPFC.

jaspercpfc
03-01-2017, 02:38 PM
never heard that before, but a really good listen, well done Jerry. :p

99percent
07-01-2017, 07:14 PM
Brilliant stuff��✊��

BuktaBoy
16-02-2017, 06:02 AM
Listened to this lastnight. Randomly was sat next to the whole Noades family at the Cup final last May. What struck me was they're all just as passionate about the club as us.

Some good points in the IV but did Noades talk off camera about the list of players we had targeted to replace Wright and we ended up choosing Gabbiadini? We seemed to lose our way in the transfer market then after big success in the 80s.

Messrs Sinnott / Patterson / Mortimer etc spring to mind..

Big Gav
16-02-2017, 06:18 PM
Noades said in the interview that Wright begged to go to Arsenal. Didn't Wright say on the centenary DVD that Noades came in one day and told him he was selling him to Arsenal and it came to him as a surprise?

bradpitt
16-02-2017, 06:19 PM
Noades said in the interview that Wright begged to go to Arsenal. Didn't Wright say on the centenary DVD that Noades came in one day and told him he was selling him to Arsenal and it came to him as surprise?

I would lean more towards Ron's version of event!

Big Gav
16-02-2017, 07:04 PM
I would as well

jaspercpfc
16-02-2017, 07:55 PM
I would as well

I know Noades was livid with the producers of "Do The Wright thing" documentary where Rocky Rocastle kept stating how he wanted Wrighty at Arsenal, and needless to say 6 months later he was off.
Coppell even in the season review stated Wright actively craved to play in bigger crowds and he'd almost outgrown us.
For all the love I had for Wrighty as a kid, he is very calculated when it comes to putting his own spin on various events.

Louis
16-02-2017, 08:06 PM
Didn't Wright say on the centenary DVD that Noades came in one day and told him he was selling him to Arsenal and it came to him as a surprise?
I heard Wright say that on the radio recently