PDA

View Full Version : 5 Years ago today.Palace 1 Cardiff 0 League Cup Semi Final 1st Leg 10.1.2012.

Ismale
10-01-2017, 12:11 PM
5 Years ago today! An Anthony Gardner header into the net at the Whitehorse lane end,on the stroke of half time,gave us a 1-0 win over Cardiff in the 1st Leg of the League Cup Semi Final & put us the closest we've ever got to making the Wembley final of this competition.

Anyone remember anything of the actual game? due to alcohol consumption,the pain of penaltys in the 2nd leg i've forgotten anything specific about the game itself!

Only 2 things stand out for me from that night,the 1st being the HF banner with "Next Stop Wembley Park" with the tubesign on,which I thought was a great touch :p

Finally the other thing was at East Croydon station afterwards,where I bumped into Jermaine Easters Dad! Who is a spitting image of Samuel L Jackson! :eek:

He was even wearing a Black Kangol hat,which Samuel L Jackson has been seen wearing on occassions,to which I couldnt help but say to him "Snakes on a Motherf*cking plane!" :supergrin: To which he shouted it back to me :lux:

Apparently he owns/runs a nightclub in Wales which he gave me a card for which I still have to this day,nice bloke,didnt have the heart to say that his boy was a shit Striker though! :D

Selhurst Celtic
10-01-2017, 03:12 PM
I was there, I remember that much. I was probably pissed as it was a semi final and an evening match. I recall the goal, but like you, that's it.

ElwissAtMemphis
10-01-2017, 05:02 PM
I remember the 2nd leg better although I only watched it on TV. Quite possibly the most negative and tedious performance, devoid of any ambition to score that I've ever witnessed from any team, let alone Palace.

It was like one of those World Cup games from the 70s or 80s when an African country found themselves level against a European country and didn't just park the bus but played with all 11 players behind the ball, constantly back-passing to the keeper. Part of me hoped we'd lose the penalty shoot-out.

Selhurst300
10-01-2017, 05:07 PM
Great atmosphere at SP for the first leg. There is a video on YouTube of the Holmesdale. Worth watching.
As for the second leg, I listened to extra time and pens whilst driving up the M6. Painful.

Maidstoned Eagle
10-01-2017, 05:15 PM
Watched in in a real grotty Brit bar with Sexyrazor...we werent popular as the local poker school had set up below the tv and they were paranoid that we were staring at them.

One guy shit himself when I gave a "Yes...get in there!" When Gardener scored.

I also remember they had bad beer on tap which made me piss every 20 minutes for about 2 hours when I got home.

SeanPalace84
10-01-2017, 05:32 PM
Went up to the second leg, painful. Their fans were complete ***** coming out even after winning.

Latvian Eagle
10-01-2017, 05:35 PM
It was a ******* dire game. Apart from the Goal I don't really remember much happening. I had to sit on my own as a mate sorted me a ticket for it and after that experience I told myself I will never go to a game on my own again. Felt like a right div with no one to talk to.

Dorking .Eagle
10-01-2017, 05:52 PM
Remember the away leg very clearly. The first (home) leg can remember almost nothing bar the HF Wembley Park banner as others have said

Langers
10-01-2017, 06:23 PM
A great cup tie and that cup run was the beginning of a new Palace era

nash84
10-01-2017, 07:49 PM
I took my wife to that game so had to sit in the Arthur instead of the holmesdale. Remember being more focused on the fans than the game itself. I remember the Heeeeey Darren Ambrose song going on for ages and my wife (Italian) still sings those lyrics if she hears the original hey baby �� and I remember the stadium not being as loud as on the YouTube video

Dodds
10-01-2017, 09:41 PM
Peter Ramage played at right back and was absolutely w*nk going forward

spt1978
10-01-2017, 09:45 PM
Was at the home game, remember them having most of the play.

Gardener was a classy defender.

spt1978
10-01-2017, 09:51 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/jan/10/crystal-palace-cardiff-city-carling-cup

ceeby
11-01-2017, 02:57 AM
The day of my mum's funeral. We put a picture of my mum and a glass of scotch next to the big projector screen in the social club where her wake was in Manchester and we all watched the match. When we had won me and my son took a sip of the scotch each and toasted mum/nan for the win.

bubbs11
12-01-2017, 06:21 AM
I think that Gardener goal was our only shot on target in 210 mins of football. That would've been shocking had we been playing Chelsea not another Championship side. We barely hit the target in the penalty shoot out!

Such a great opportunity missed - just like the FA Cup Final in May. A case of two managers getting carried away with themselves in different ways and over thinking our tactics.

From my perspective, Dougie had squeezed every last bit of enjoyment of watching Palace for me. Apart from his last 8 games after the car park chat, it was 22 months of utter mind numbing football. Totally unnecessary.

Dom the Eagle
17-01-2017, 01:29 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/jan/10/crystal-palace-cardiff-city-carling-cup

I'd forgot what an utter prick Malky Mackay was. Sour twat.

Skiddo
17-01-2017, 01:39 PM
Went to both games.

Watching Jonny Parr balloon the last penalty into us in the stands and 20,000 sheepshaggers run on the pitch in celebration after 2 hours of dire football was a completely soul destroying experience.

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o
17-01-2017, 05:13 PM
naff qaulity...but gives an idea...