PDA

View Full Version : 30 years ago today; 11 January 1987

Sam Spade
11-01-2017, 11:26 AM
That snowy FA Cup 3rd round win over Nottingham Forest. An Alan Irvine goal (using a brown ball) giving us a thoroughly deserved 1-0 victory. 11000+ crowd. I always think of this game as a real marker on the road back from the hideous Mullery years to getting back to the old Div 1 a couple of years later. Anyone else have memories of the day?

3 Beers at HT
11-01-2017, 11:45 AM
Can still picture my younger brother and I playing in the back garden and remember the excitement when the old man shouted out of the back door that the game was on, despite the fact we were knee deep in snow.

The orange(?) ball on the white surface and a win, wearing the sash kit, don't remember much else.

30 years on and that excitement has sadly died.

Big Gav
11-01-2017, 11:51 AM
Remember it well thinking on the way to the ground that the match wouldn't go ahead. Also couldn't believe we beat a very good Forest team

WLYWLYAWYPWF
11-01-2017, 11:56 AM
Can still picture my younger brother and I playing in the back garden and remember the excitement when the old man shouted out of the back door that the game was on, despite the fact we were knee deep in snow.

The orange(?) ball on the white surface and a win, wearing the sash kit, don't remember much else.

30 years on and that excitement has sadly died.

It was orange. Very exciting fixture and result at the time. Think it was on a Sunday which was rare in those days?

selhursthoover
11-01-2017, 12:04 PM
God 30 years ago. Great action shot in next programme by Mr Cad of the goal on the icey pitch.

:p

Sam Spade
11-01-2017, 12:06 PM
Yep, Orange ball. Memory fails me. Conditions were treacherous. My car skidded off the road and up the kerb in Belmont on the way to the game. Fortunately didn't hit anyone or anything.

Pinkie Brown
11-01-2017, 12:10 PM
I was stood freezing on the Sainsbury's terrace, Forest were top of Division 1 at the time I think. Great day.

ElwissAtMemphis
11-01-2017, 12:13 PM
Remember seeing the teams and several Forest players had gloves on (Johnny Metgod's were even sheepskin!), a couple including Franz Carr were wearing tights and not a single Palace player had anything similar on. You just knew they didn't fancy it. It was very odd as you used to hear stories about Cloughie making his players run through nettles to toughen them up. To be fair, it was absolutely freezing.

Sodermalm
11-01-2017, 12:44 PM
My first ever game on my own at the age of 14, freezing my arse off on the Holmesdale. Loved it.

Was also my first game since 1981.

stevek
11-01-2017, 01:26 PM
My brother gave me and my mate a lift to the game - first time he'd ever driven in the snow. No idea why he didn't actually go to the match too (he is a Palace fan).

Nth Kent Eagle
11-01-2017, 01:27 PM
I set off from Kent but the snow in the country lane was so intense I had to give up before getting to the A20.

eltron
11-01-2017, 02:36 PM
Andy Gray was awesome that day

El Aguila
11-01-2017, 02:46 PM
It was bollock freezing.
I think the signing of Mark Bright was announced in the programme. First player we'd spent actual money on in aeons.
Someone had told me that if you cut tin foil to the shape of your feet and used it as an insole, it provided efficient isolation and kept your feet warm (I was standing on the Whitehorse). It sort of worked.

El Aguila
11-01-2017, 02:47 PM
Biggish crowd for us at that time, though I had been hooked back in for a couple of years by then.

chrisophiex
11-01-2017, 03:49 PM
Had to walk from Beckenham to Selhurst as no buses seemed to be running that day.

Free kick wasn't it from Irvine ?

ElwissAtMemphis
11-01-2017, 04:27 PM
Someone had told me that if you cut tin foil to the shape of your feet and used it as an insole, it provided efficient isolation and kept your feet warm (I was standing on the Whitehorse). It sort of worked.

You'd have been far better off wrapping your feet in the stuff rather than fashioning some sci-fi looking odour eaters. Aluminium is a very poor conductor of heat hence the capes handed out to marathon runners and people rescued from disasters that make them look like an extra from a particularly low budget episode of Dr Who in the 70s.

Big Gav
11-01-2017, 04:30 PM
Had to walk from Beckenham to Selhurst as no buses seemed to be running that day.

Free kick wasn't it from Irvine ?

Irvine scored but it wasn't a free kick

Sam Spade
11-01-2017, 04:52 PM
It was bollock freezing.
I think the signing of Mark Bright was announced in the programme. First player we'd spent actual money on in aeons.

Yes, forgot Brighty was on loan to start with. Didn't we (fans) raise the dough (or some of it) for the fee?

Big Gav
11-01-2017, 05:00 PM
Think we did from Lifeline

JackTheBiscuit
11-01-2017, 05:26 PM
I feel so old

chrisophiex
11-01-2017, 06:23 PM
Irvine scored but it wasn't a free kick

Cheers. Seem to remember him scoring a great free kick around that time. Must be another game.

917L
11-01-2017, 06:26 PM
I know it was bloody freezing, nice goal though

Raggy
11-01-2017, 06:37 PM
I was on the Holmesdale. Irvine struck it low and hard from outside the box - great goal, great day.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
11-01-2017, 06:42 PM
I was on the Holmesdale. Irvine struck it low and hard from outside the box - great goal, great day.

My memory is he lashed it high in to the net after going clean through. He would have been just inside the area before he struck the ball. Emphatic finish.

bubbs11
12-01-2017, 06:07 AM
Probably the coldest game I've ever stood/sat through. Such a shame because it kind of took the enjoyment away from what was probably our biggest glamour result for about 7 years. The League Cup 2-2 draw the year before against Forest was probably more exciting though.

The FA Cup 4th Round saw us trundle over the river to White Hart Lane - crammed and dangerously rammed as we were pre Hillsborough - and watched us taken apart by probably the best Spurs side in 50 years.

Our successes and moments in the sunlight in those days were so few and far between. Seriously, you could count on one hand the games that we made headlines in between 81-87. Some disgruntled BBSers today would've been reaching for the rope and chair if they had to endure that.

All I can think of in terms of real eye catching, newsworthy results from those years was:

3-1 home win against top of the table Newcastle

Beating Sheff W 1-0 at home and stopping their amazing unbeaten run that stretched from the start of the season to the end of November

A home FA Cup win against Div 1 strugglers Leicester

And unless I've forgotten - that was that in about 7 years. Thing is - I really enjoyed those days :lux:

El Aguila
12-01-2017, 06:28 AM
You've forgotten the draw at home to West Ham in the Cup! Around 1983 - and avoiding relegation to div 3 against Burnley.

Payroll Legend
12-01-2017, 06:48 AM
I was in the Arthur enclosure that day. Pitch was frozen solid.

Clough said something along the lines of the conditions were a leveller but that was no excuse.

We deserved the win as I remember

Ardent Eagle Forever
12-01-2017, 06:53 AM
It was bollock freezing.

Supporters money

El Aguila
12-01-2017, 07:08 AM
Yes..... well all the money was supporters' money, back then. Didn't Lifeline have some sort of gambling element to it, as well?
Also, how had we signed Gary O'Reilly? There must have been some sort of fee involved, there?

Chief Brody
12-01-2017, 04:13 PM
Snow, frozen Holmesdale, orange ball, good Forest side, Irvine rifling home from an angle. Great stuff!

Chief Brody
12-01-2017, 04:13 PM
Yes..... well all the money was supporters' money, back then. Didn't Lifeline have some sort of gambling element to it, as well?
Also, how had we signed Gary O'Reilly? There must have been some sort of fee involved, there?

60k from recollection. I was one of the original Lifeline members.

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile
12-01-2017, 05:46 PM
I feel so old

^^^^^^^ This.... Alan Irvine Down the Wing!!!! Magic stuff :p 30 years ...... Wow!!! We lost to Spurs in the Next Round ... Bloody Clive Allen.... Scariest time I ever had on terracing (Crushing) as they only opened a couple of Pens in the away end not expecting the massive hordes from South of the River!!!! Seem to remember they had to open some more pens when people were climbing over the fences to get out of the Crush!!!

Lingfield Eagle
12-01-2017, 05:51 PM
I remember that well. Gave up going after the Noades/Gradi takeover and although I went a few times I could never really get back into it. Then my Dad suggested going to the Forest game as Coppell had been doing well, great afternoons entertainment, went to the Spurs cup game in the next round and have never looked back since.

bubbs11
13-01-2017, 03:24 AM
You've forgotten the draw at home to West Ham in the Cup! Around 1983 - and avoiding relegation to div 3 against Burnley.

I know, but as memorable as they were, couldn't really call a draw and a home win against a team third from bottom in Div 2 headline grabbers. That West Ham game was gutting wasn't it? Swindlehurst - of all people - equalising at the death after a pinball style action in front of our goal.

Re. Burnley: great night, but still amazes me how we've avoided relegation to the 3rd tier considering all the times we've flirted with it. A lot of bigger clubs than us have been unable to prevent that drop in recent years. We've now plyed our trade for 40 consecutive years in the top 2 tiers. Think I'm right in saying only 10 other clubs can boast that since 1977.

Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, West Ham, Everton, Ipswich, Villa and Newcastle.

However, we're the only club out of that list without a major honour to our name :(

ElwissAtMemphis
13-01-2017, 01:24 PM
Re. Burnley: great night, but still amazes me how we've avoided relegation to the 3rd tier considering all the times we've flirted with it.

Quite how we managed to stay up in 1984 (Mullery's last season) I'll never know. That was a truly poor team. Looking at the table we were probably saved by Swansea and particularly Cambridge both having catastrophically shite seasons and finishing with less than 30 points.

Derby County, League champions just 9 seasons previously went down in the last relegation spot. When they wanted to be, the following year's team in Coppell's first season could be even worse but survived quite comfortably underlining how luck plays into it. Far far better teams than those have dropped out of the top 2 divisions over that period.

WestBerksPalace
13-01-2017, 04:54 PM
My memory is he lashed it high in to the net after going clean through. He would have been just inside the area before he struck the ball. Emphatic finish.

That's how I remember it as well, he drifted in from out on the right, near the Old Stand side, then struck it high into the roof the net from about 20 yards.

I was in the New Stand enclosure.

Funny how I can remember that, yet little from recent years, age thing I guess! lol.

Big Gav
13-01-2017, 05:03 PM
Quite how we managed to stay up in 1984 (Mullery's last season) I'll never know. That was a truly poor team. Looking at the table we were probably saved by Swansea and particularly Cambridge both having catastrophically shite seasons and finishing with less than 30 points.

Derby County, League champions just 9 seasons previously went down in the last relegation spot. When they wanted to be, the following year's team in Coppell's first season could be even worse but survived quite comfortably underlining how luck plays into it. Far far better teams than those have dropped out of the top 2 divisions over that period.

Yep and god bless Ian Edwards :) What happened to him?

ElwissAtMemphis
13-01-2017, 07:46 PM
Fj3-KLm11Ec

Not what happened to him strictly speaking; maybe a glimpse of what might have been.

cad
15-01-2017, 12:52 PM
Global warming or not, we just don't seem to get weather as cold as that now. How the game went ahead I don't know. Getting a snap of the goal was a miracle in the circumstances.

I just remember getting a few minutes out of the camera batteries before they would collapse due to the cold weather - something I had never encountered before. The batteries had to be removed and placed inside clothing to warm up again. Meanwhile, warmed replacements had to be re-inserted. That was 12 AAs in the motordrive and a further cell in the camera body a time consuming task at any time but far more difficult with frozen hands.

In the end we gave up on the motor drives, changing the batteries was just too time consuming.

Fortunately, Alan Irvine scored during one of the periods when the camera was operating, but still only just avoided cutting his head off.

Dorking .Eagle
15-01-2017, 01:16 PM
Great shot Neil!

These days they'd just call a game like that off on the grounds of dangerous frozen roads outside the ground!

dim
15-01-2017, 04:54 PM
Fantastic photo... seeing that just took me right back there. Fabulous result and the kit looks great.... I was on the Holmesdale.