PDA

View Full Version : Return of Big Nige! 20 years ago today.Palace 2 Leeds 2 F.A. Cup 3rd R 14.01.1997.

Ismale
14-01-2017, 10:48 AM
20 Years ago today saw Nigel Martyn make his return to Selhurst,after the initial tie 10 days earlier was Postponed due to a frozen pitch.

Leeds took the lead when Deane scored from a Lucas Radebe free kick,We equalized when a Ndha cross was handled in the Leeds box Maradona style by Bruce Dyer,Amazingly the Ref gave a penalty! :supergrin: Dyer stuck it away to Martyns left,so 1-1 at HT.

Leeds retook the lead when a Deane Cross was shinned into his own net by the hapless "Cult Hero" Lief Andersen! we equalised when a Muscat cross was headed home by Veart.

At the death a McKenzie through ball saw Dyer Move into the box,get pulled down,penalty! So,90th minute,at the Holmesdale,Martyn V Dyer,You can guess what happened next! Dyer's penalty was just to Nige's left,he pushed it back out to Dyer,who,presented with a open goal managed to blast it wide!! :wallbash:

So,any memories of that night & the reception "Mr Frying Pan Hands" got on his return?

DARZET EAGLE
14-01-2017, 12:24 PM
20 Years ago today saw Nigel Martyn make his return to Selhurst,after the initial tie 10 days eaarlier was Postponed due to a frozen pitch.

Leeds took the lead when Deane scored from a Lucas Radebe free kick,We equalized when a Ndha cross was handled in the Leeds box Maradona style by Bruce Dyer,Amazingly the Ref gave a penalty! :supergrin: Dyer stuck it away to Martyns left,so 1-1 at HT.

Leeds retook the lead when a Deane Cross was shinned into his own net by the hapless "Cult Hero" Lief Andersen! we equalised when a Muscat cross was headed home by Veart.

At the death a McKenzie through ball saw Dyer Move into the box,get pulled down,penalty! So,90th minute,at the Holmesdale,Martyn V Dyer,You can guess what happened next! Dyer's penalty was just to Nige's left,he pushed it back out to Dyer,who,presented with a open goal managed to blast it wide!! :wallbash:

So,any memories of that night & the reception "Mr Frying Pan Hands" got on his return?

I have erased all memories of that game from my mind. I only want to remember our best ever keeper between our sticks.:love:

foetus eagle
14-01-2017, 12:40 PM
I remember Carl Veart being a goal machine.

Tom's Old Man
14-01-2017, 08:56 PM
My main memory is the ridiculously long debate between ref and lino as to whether we should have had the last minute penalty or not. And right in front of the Leeds gobshites!

Dorking .Eagle
14-01-2017, 09:27 PM
The abiding memory I have is of the 90th minute penalty. After a couple of seconds of everyone going 'oh shit', when Nigel saved it, then everyone applauded him!!! Even though he stopped us winning!!!!

Phil's Barber
15-01-2017, 10:05 AM
Was this the game the Leeds fans were singing "there's only one Les Dennis" when they saw Neil Morrisey? (NM recently caught knocking off Amanda Holden.)

stevek
16-01-2017, 11:55 AM
My main memory is of the last minute penalty. Nige was furious about the decision and then, of course, saved the penalty. Pretty much any other returning player would have got dog's abuse in the circumstances, but the crowd still gave Nige a loads of support.

Big Fella
17-01-2017, 01:05 PM
I just remember a Leeds fan staring me out, all game. The plank never watched the match. Big old unit as well. Didnt celebrate when they scored, didnt move when Martyn made that save. Just, eyes on me.

Pub Idol
17-01-2017, 01:07 PM
I just remember a Leeds fan staring me out, all game. The plank never watched the match. Big old unit as well. Didnt celebrate when they scored, didnt move when Martyn made that save. Just, eyes on me.

Jimmy Saville?

Sam Spade
17-01-2017, 01:07 PM
he pushed it back out to Dyer,who,presented with a open goal managed to blast it wide!! :wallbash:

He was probably offside anyway.:supergrin:

Selhurst Celtic
17-01-2017, 01:09 PM

:D

They're a funny lot*, Leeds.

Years ago I recall one of them spending the whole game with his arm over his head holding what looked like a heart that he must have got from the butchers or something. 90 minutes with your arm above your head holding a heart. Nutjob.

(*this can also mean complete nobs, racist divs, bullies & dicks. Fat, bald idiots with earrings. Exactly the same as the old Chelsea fans but with a Yorkshire accent)

Pubface
17-01-2017, 01:23 PM
Remember this game and still can vividly see the Bruce Dyer miss from a couple of yards out. Still do not know how he missed!

Big Fella
17-01-2017, 06:19 PM
Jimmy Saville?

Now then now then!

Maidstoned Eagle
18-01-2017, 01:55 PM
:D

They're a funny lot*, Leeds.

Years ago I recall one of them spending the whole game with his arm over his head holding what looked like a heart that he must have got from the butchers or something. 90 minutes with your arm above your head holding a heart. Nutjob.

(*this can also mean complete nobs, racist divs, bullies & dicks. Fat, bald idiots with earrings. Exactly the same as the old Chelsea fans but with a Yorkshire accent)
Wasnt this the game where, at half time they chanted "Champions Champions Champions of Europe" over and over again for the entire break?