PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Thread

JamTheEagle
20-01-2017, 09:01 AM
Tried to find a general tennis thread but can't see one...

This is truly fanatastic stuff from Dan Evans.

Bones14
20-01-2017, 09:26 AM
Shouldn't say this being an Aussie. But I hope he beats Tomic.

Windsor_Eagle
20-01-2017, 09:32 AM
A lot of the general tennis chit chat goes on in the Any Murray thread, but I think it probably is better in its own thread. Dan Evans having a sensational Aus Open. Keep it up!

kayjay
20-01-2017, 09:40 AM
Why the feck is the roof open?
Been a god awful day from first light this morning and the roof is open.

Chester
20-01-2017, 09:48 AM
Aussies are on a cracking run of producing highly rated mentals in Tomic and Nick the Greek.

They make Jelena Dokic's dad look like a good samaritan

JamTheEagle
20-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Great stuff from Dan!

Chester
20-01-2017, 10:02 AM
His aggressive shot selection was what won it today. He is v good at going balls to the wall and going for and pulling of the hero shot.

Deserves all the praise he should get, was a top win

Bones14
20-01-2017, 10:16 AM
Agreed. He played well and deserved the win.

Tomic and Kyrgios could have a look at his workrate and work ethic and take something from it.

JamTheEagle
20-01-2017, 10:37 AM
Had a small bet on Zverev vs Nadal at 3.25, think it should be closer than what it is at the moment. Haven't seen enough from Nadal to be impressed at all.

EagleSE24
20-01-2017, 11:57 AM
My boss has Dan Evans to reach the final at 600/1. He's getting quite excited.

JamTheEagle
20-01-2017, 12:01 PM
My boss has Dan Evans to reach the final at 600/1. He's getting quite excited.

Would like to see him play vs Stan and then possibly Murray. His match vs Tsonga should be a good one.

kayjay
21-01-2017, 03:06 AM
Roger turned back the clock last night and destroyed Berdych.
Murray might be sitting up taking notice.

kayjay
21-01-2017, 03:07 AM
Tomic and Kyrgios could have a look at his workrate and work ethic and take something from it.

Mental fragility

JamTheEagle
22-01-2017, 10:14 AM
Well, very pleased with my Raonic bets... He just needs to deliver now :lux:

kayjay
23-01-2017, 07:36 AM
Would like to see him play vs Stan and then possibly Murray. His match vs Tsonga should be a good one.

To think John Tomic thought Evans to be such a hack a couple of years ago
he forbid Bernard from even practicing with him. :supergrin:

JamTheEagle
23-01-2017, 08:41 AM
To think John Tomic thought Evans to be such a hack a couple of years ago
he forbid Bernard from even practicing with him. :supergrin:

:D

JamTheEagle
23-01-2017, 09:43 AM
Was worried about Raonic but serve has bailed him out in the 3rd set, looks fired up now :lux:

JamTheEagle
23-01-2017, 09:51 AM
Now a break up in the 4th.

Rooting for Monfils as well!

JamTheEagle
23-01-2017, 07:15 PM
Someone explain to me why Raonic is odds against vs Nadal? Seems all wrong to me, think he should be the fav and should be winning - naturally this means he'll get knocked out.

meee
23-01-2017, 10:41 PM
Someone explain to me why Raonic is odds against vs Nadal? Seems all wrong to me, think he should be the fav and should be winning - naturally this means he'll get knocked out.

Nadal can pin him on his backhand with the leftie forehand but I agree Raonic should be the slight favourite.

JamTheEagle
26-01-2017, 07:14 AM
Raonic was awful and bottled it completely, choker - never even looked like converting any of his break points or set points.

Heart says Federer but betting wise I want Stan in the final. I think he'd destroy Nadal if they get there.

JamTheEagle
26-01-2017, 11:36 AM
Some choke this from Wawrinka, Fed looks completely knackered and he still cannot take advantage.

JamTheEagle
26-01-2017, 11:42 AM
Heart says Federer but betting wise I want Stan in the final. I think he'd destroy Nadal if they get there.

Having watched that match, if Nadal gets through I think he could 3-0 Fed.

EddieEdwards
26-01-2017, 01:31 PM
Not the greatest match for quality but it didn't lack drama. Difficult to tell how injured Stan really was but with Federer having been out for 6 months he had trouble coping with that situation and for the first time in the tournament he stopped playing freely and seemed to doubt himself. Stan looked the more likely winner in the fifth but Roger hung on, saved a couple of break points, and then Stan played one bad service game and Roger used his experience to make sure he didn't let Stan back in again.

Good idea to start this thread, by the way.

saxoneagle
26-01-2017, 02:15 PM
I can't stand anything about Federer other than his tennis. I hope he loses the final, I really do. :D

kayjay
26-01-2017, 11:01 PM
Raonic was awful and bottled it completely, choker - never even looked like converting any of his break points or set points.

Really disappointed with Raonic's performance.
For someone who needs to come to the net to support his booming serve, he's not a natural volleyer. Lacks agility and reflexes aren't great. There was talk he got injured in the previous match so maybe I'm being a bit unfair. Nadal showed that an all round game will always beat the big serve on that surface.

Bones14
26-01-2017, 11:11 PM
Federer vs Nadal final would wind the clock back a few years. Not a massive Rafa fan but would enjoy watching the veterans slug it out for the first slam of the year.
You won't see it again I wouldn't think.

greybot
26-01-2017, 11:12 PM
I love the GOAT and everything he does on and off the court. I hope he wins the final at 35, even morso if it's against Nadal, I really do. :p

Bones14
26-01-2017, 11:32 PM
I love the GOAT and everything he does on and off the court. I hope he wins the final at 35, even morso if it's against Nadal, I really do. :p

Spot on greybot.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
27-01-2017, 12:36 AM
Switching to WTA, was nice to see Konta making further progress. She underperformed against Serena Williams, who was just on fire that day. But in terms of performance over the last twelve months, Jo Konta is pretty much the form player on the tour. This Wimbledon might be very interesting...

kayjay
27-01-2017, 01:07 AM
Rafa is playing as well as ever.
His last 3 wins against Zverev, Monfils and Raonic have been top class.
Dimitrov is cruising through his matches in 3rd gear but might be in for a shock tonight
if he doesn't step it up.
Ageing champion vs future star - looking forward to this one.

Bones14
27-01-2017, 01:17 AM
Rafa is playing as well as ever.
His last 3 wins against Zverev, Monfils and Raonic have been top class.
Dimitrov is cruising through his matches in 3rd gear but might be in for a shock tonight
if he doesn't step it up.
Ageing champion vs future star - looking forward to this one.

If Dimitrov turns up it should be a belter. Rafa looks crisp and athletic at present. Really looking forward to it as well Kayjay.

Bones14
27-01-2017, 08:55 AM
Has there been a player with any more idiosyncrasies before they serve than Nadal?
It really is painful to watch.

Bones14
27-01-2017, 09:26 AM
6-3 Nadal 1st set. Looking ominous early for Dimitrov, as he's not playing badly, Nadal is just bullying him with topspin.

Kylie_Tracey
27-01-2017, 09:46 AM
what an utterly poor,dull woman's final is in prospect, so much for the woman's game allegedly improving in recent years, if I was to have free tickets for it I'd give them away, an organisers worst nightmare.

JamTheEagle
27-01-2017, 11:18 AM
what an utterly poor,dull woman's final is in prospect, so much for the woman's game allegedly improving in recent years, if I was to have free tickets for it I'd give them away, an organisers worst nightmare.

Not just the women's, I can't remember a worse standard for men's gram slam semi finals in 10+ years. It's woeful.

JamTheEagle
27-01-2017, 12:41 PM
Not just the women's, I can't remember a worse standard for men's gram slam semi finals in 10+ years. It's woeful.

Just going to reiterate. This is dire.

greybot
27-01-2017, 02:17 PM
Nadal Federer it is then. Rolling back the years! :afro:

Kylie_Tracey
27-01-2017, 02:26 PM

At least they are both brilliant stroke players who will go for winners , you are right though a Murray/Djok final will have been a snooze fest

JamTheEagle
27-01-2017, 03:15 PM
At least they are both brilliant stroke players who will go for winners , you are right though a Murray/Djok final will have been a snooze fest

True but I have no doubt they are both watching these games wondering how the hell are not still in the tournament.

kayjay
27-01-2017, 10:46 PM
True but I have no doubt they are both watching these games wondering how the hell are not still in the tournament.
Maybe a combination of starting again after a long season, the northern hemisphere winter, Xmas at home with family, the Aust Open always presents
a few banana skins. Every year some top seeds are bundled out unexpectedly to some lowly ranked players who focus on putting in the extra work.
Usually most of the top players survive a 1st or 2nd round scare but go on to the QF/SF stage. This time around Murray and Djokovich slipped and fell.
But I'm not seeing it as a negative. Roger and Rafa have played unbelievable tennis and been the 2 most consistent performers over the fortnight. Remember hardcourt tennis is like a mobile game of chess, each player selecting a shot and court position with a view to winning the rally some shots later.

EddieEdwards
28-01-2017, 11:06 AM
True but I have no doubt they are both watching these games wondering how the hell are not still in the tournament.They need to watch their own games if they want to know that. Their standard was lower still.

JamTheEagle
29-01-2017, 10:12 AM
God this final is so poor.

JamTheEagle
29-01-2017, 10:38 AM

Fed moving a lot better now and bh firing. Looks like this might be over.

JamTheEagle
29-01-2017, 11:35 AM
Fed moving a lot better now and bh firing. Looks like this might be over.

This lasted one set... Pendulum back the other way now.

Langers
29-01-2017, 11:52 AM
Critical game - Fed going for it

JamTheEagle
29-01-2017, 11:56 AM
Nadal offering up all these break chances = choke.

Langers
29-01-2017, 11:58 AM
Nadal offering up all these break chances = choke.

:clown:

JamTheEagle
29-01-2017, 12:00 PM
:clown:

Right.

Gollum
29-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Federer a champion again. Fantastic.

NorthPalace23
29-01-2017, 12:32 PM
Wow what a game!

Really though Rafa would win with the way he played in set 4 and the start of set 5.

Federer winning a slam at 35....amazing! Great tournament...lots of upsets..lots of 5 set matches....and a suprise winner of the mens event!

JamTheEagle
29-01-2017, 01:18 PM
Fed GOAT but tournament as a whole was of a very poor standard.

Langers
29-01-2017, 01:21 PM
Fed GOAT but tournament as a whole was of a very poor standard.

Murray must be kicking himself as both Rafa and Roger looked knackered - I can see Fed retiring after Wimbledon

EddieEdwards
29-01-2017, 01:23 PM
God this final is so poor.Tough crowd, you are. :D

weltklasse
29-01-2017, 05:13 PM

WTF?

kayjay
30-01-2017, 05:39 AM
Wow what a game!

Really though Rafa would win with the way he played in set 4 and the start of set 5.

Federer winning a slam at 35....amazing! Great tournament...lots of upsets..lots of 5 set matches....and a suprise winner of the mens event!

This :p

CPFC-SELHURST
10-03-2017, 01:27 PM
Davis Cup, a tournament I have always enjoyed not just because GB won in 2015 are considering changes to it (which they have for years) because many of the top players don't take part.

As long as the players don't take part in the singles & doubles I don't see why they can't keep it as it is, best of five Friday and Sunday in the singles. In the Gland Slam tournaments they play best of five every other day.

One problem with The Davis Cup is when its scheduled. Two rounds of The Davis Cup are the next weekend after a Glam Slam and The Final follows the ATP finals, I'm not saying its easy but surely this needs changing.

Kirby
25-04-2017, 10:40 AM
What the hell is Ilie Nastase doing?

In the past week he's managed to call Serena Williams' unborn baby "chocolate with milk", openly sleaze all over Anne Keothavong at a press conference and make Johanna Konta literally cry in the middle of a Davis Cup match.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/apr/25/serena-williams-accuses-ilie-nastase-of-racially-abusing-her-and-unborn-child

What's worse is the fact Konta's female opponent actually stuck up for him.

Prehistoric.

Olympian2
04-07-2017, 06:49 PM
Bernard Tomic - what a nob.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/40498212

luxeagle
04-07-2017, 06:52 PM
Yup.

Yoda
04-07-2017, 07:15 PM
Bernard Tomic - what a nob.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/40498212

Team Australia have already dropped him.

Once his sponsors do the same and his support team start going in order to work with someone more motivated, maybe then he'll realise how spoilt he is.

An insult to the punters who buy tickets that he hasn't given his best.

Olympian2
04-07-2017, 08:09 PM
Team Australia have already dropped him.

Once his sponsors do the same and his support team start going in order to work with someone more motivated, maybe then he'll realise how spoilt he is.

An insult to the punters who buy tickets that he hasn't given his best.

It's one thing to think what he said but a completely different thing to say it. Even at 'only' 24, surely you know to keep your mouth shut & just play the game, especially if you're just consciously going through the motions and taking the cash until you can retire.

art malice
04-07-2017, 08:22 PM
Pat Cash is worried he might get a big fine

cpfc4evandeva
04-07-2017, 08:29 PM
I thought it was pretty funny.

Way better than hearing the standard robot answers that we're accustomed to. People wonder why there aren't any characters in sport these days, well the reaction from all of this is the reason why.

Olympian2
04-07-2017, 08:32 PM

Way better than hearing the standard robot answers that we're accustomed to. People wonder why there aren't any characters in sport these days, well the reaction from all of this is the reason why.

There's a difference between being a character & disrespecting your opponent and the people who have paid money to watch you play because you simply can't be arsed.

cantspell
04-07-2017, 08:47 PM
What a knob - bet federer and djokevic haven't been bored

Jerry Murphy's Fringe
04-07-2017, 08:50 PM
Wimbledon, when will it end???? Two days so far & how much or of this elitist indulgence can our society take.

GanbareWashi
04-07-2017, 08:51 PM
bad loser?

cantspell
04-07-2017, 08:53 PM
Did any one see the after Match interview with Venus Williams yesterday? I bet the questioner regrets asking the question he did.

BERT'S HEAD
04-07-2017, 08:59 PM
Did any one see the after Match interview with Venus Williams yesterday? I bet the questioner regrets asking the question he did.

I would bet the journos were fighting to get that particular question in first.

Happy Arthur
04-07-2017, 09:30 PM
He shouldn't have said he was bored but tennis is a cruel game mentally. I'm sure people have said things in the heat of the moment. Tomic is running out of chances tho.

kayjay
05-07-2017, 01:46 AM
Tomic is a twat.
Sometimes we go looking for reasons and excuses to explain people's behaviour
but this is one of those occasions you have to call a spade a spade.

Bones14
05-07-2017, 02:18 AM
Bernard Tomic is such a ..............................
I'm bored and lacking motivation to finish the above sentence. Sad really, because if I got paid by the character, I'd most certainly type an essay on the ****.

keltic eagle
05-07-2017, 06:55 PM
Anyone see what Medvedev did to the female umpire? I presume he'll never be invited back to Wimbledon

cantspell
06-07-2017, 08:51 PM
I went to wimbledon today and was court 17 when I saw an absolute terrible injury raking alongside the john salako injury.

A tennis ball hit Bethanie Mattek-sands square on the knee at what have must have been over 100 miles an hour- the Knee gave way and it took ages for anyone to come to her aid - basically it was the players husband and her opponents (ciresta) coach who attendeded her before Anyone arrirved. Believe Ciresta's version not the official wimbledon version.

The poor player was screaming and the officials had no fecking idea the got ice for her and put it back- they bought her a ******* wheelchair when she Needed a stretcher - brought the wrong Stretcher out - had St. John's ambulance guys there trying to give her first aid when it needed paramedics.

An absolute shambles - and I couldn't help but contrast it with football

cantspell
06-07-2017, 08:51 PM
Anyone see what Medvedev did to the female umpire? I presume he'll never be invited back to Wimbledon

Yes poor

Worksop Palace
06-07-2017, 08:54 PM
Yes poor

Well if she'd have picked them up she would have been a bit less poor

cantspell
06-07-2017, 09:08 PM
Well if she'd have picked them up she would have been a bit less poor

Cheap shot [emoji23]

bubbs11
07-07-2017, 07:32 PM
Murray's struggling here.

Even if he pulls through tonight just can't see him even making the final this year.

saxoneagle
07-07-2017, 08:00 PM
Phew!

Malarkey
07-07-2017, 08:09 PM
Almost wanted Fognini to do it in the end

WLYWLYAWYPWF
07-07-2017, 08:20 PM
I went to wimbledon today and was court 17 when I saw an absolute terrible injury raking alongside the john salako injury.

A tennis ball hit Bethanie Mattek-sands square on the knee at what have must have been over 100 miles an hour- the Knee gave way and it took ages for anyone to come to her aid - basically it was the players husband and her opponents (ciresta) coach who attendeded her before Anyone arrirved. Believe Ciresta's version not the official wimbledon version.

The poor player was screaming and the officials had no fecking idea the got ice for her and put it back- they bought her a ******* wheelchair when she Needed a stretcher - brought the wrong Stretcher out - had St. John's ambulance guys there trying to give her first aid when it needed paramedics.

An absolute shambles - and I couldn't help but contrast it with football

Have seen footage and I thought she made a meal of it myself. I think the top men would have jumped up and run that off within a few points.

meee
07-07-2017, 08:26 PM

Fognini is mental.A fantastic clay court player who swings from the sublime to the ridiculous and usually ends up somewhere in between.Murray's always struggled against him,although largely on clay.The head to head is 4-3 now.

NorthPalace23
07-07-2017, 09:16 PM
Well done Sir Andy Murray!

Great to see Murray and Konta still in Wimbledon. I feel like they've been involved in the best matches so far.

Really enjoyed the first 5 days of Wimbledon.

Windsor_Eagle
07-07-2017, 09:26 PM
Murray's struggling here.

Even if he pulls through tonight just can't see him even making the final this year.

Whether he makes the final or not will be determined by who has the better game in the semi, him or Nadal. Nadal looking better but Murray on grass can equal anyone.

I wouldn't read much in today's game. Fognini is a very good player. The will to win at 2-5 down was very very good. In bis previous 2 wimbledon triumphs, Murray has been taken the distance and come quite close to going out. Sharpens the focus for week 2.

Yoda
07-07-2017, 09:33 PM

His racket sponsor found it so un-hilarious that they're dropping him,

cpfc4evandeva
07-07-2017, 09:38 PM
Exactly my point. Sport is so less fun that it should be due to people taking it way more seriously than it should be.

cantspell
07-07-2017, 10:00 PM
Have seen footage and I thought she made a meal of it myself. I think the top men would have jumped up and run that off within a few points.

Not sure if you are being serious - but absolutely awful being there when it happened - knee was in a total different direction to where it should've been

meee
07-07-2017, 10:11 PM
Exactly my point. Sport is so less fun that it should be due to people taking it way more seriously than it should be.

Agreed.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
07-07-2017, 10:22 PM
Not sure if you are being serious - but absolutely awful being there when it happened - knee was in a total different direction to where it should've been

Just being a dick. Was clearly an awful injury.

Yoda
08-07-2017, 02:40 PM

Maybe if you'd spent £100 on a ticket, taken one maybe two days off work to come to Wimbledon, paid travel and hotel overnight...maybe then watching a 'bored' player might not be that amusing?

If tennis doesn't interest him, stop playing. Plenty of others would like the chance to play Wimbledon...and I much prefer the real 'characters' of sport, those who play with flare and passion.

They also need to do something about injured players turning up to claim their match fees. V unfair on the punters on Monday who had matches stopped when players broke down. I agree with Murray that a fairer system is needed to protect both players (from aggrevating pre-existing injuries) and the public from turning up to see matches that become walkovers.

Kylie_Tracey
08-07-2017, 03:11 PM

would have loved that

Olympian2
08-07-2017, 06:50 PM
I was on Centre yesterday. Murray's strength of will and bloody mindedness not to be beaten are fantastic but having watched both him and Nadal on court yesterday, I would put more money on a Spanish winner than a British one.

cpfc4evandeva
08-07-2017, 08:17 PM
Maybe if you'd spent £100 on a ticket, taken one maybe two days off work to come to Wimbledon, paid travel and hotel overnight...maybe then watching a 'bored' player might not be that amusing?

If tennis doesn't interest him, stop playing. Plenty of others would like the chance to play Wimbledon...and I much prefer the real 'characters' of sport, those who play with flare and passion.

They also need to do something about injured players turning up to claim their match fees. V unfair on the punters on Monday who had matches stopped when players broke down. I agree with Murray that a fairer system is needed to protect both players (from aggrevating pre-existing injuries) and the public from turning up to see matches that become walkovers.
Is this some kind of crap joke? :)

I went to 11 away games in the 10/11 season and saw us pick up a single solitary point against Watford. We lost the 10 other games. That involved a lot more than £100 on a jolly day out at Wimbledon and some ******* strawberries.

Olympian2
08-07-2017, 09:11 PM
Is this some kind of crap joke? :)

I went to 11 away games in the 10/11 season and saw us pick up a single solitary point against Watford. We lost the 10 other games. That involved a lot more than £100 on a jolly day out at Wimbledon and some ******* strawberries.

Yes, but the point is that if those Palace players collectively said 'Yeah, we couldn't be arsed to try as we're all a bit bored with football', the likelihood is that most people wouldn't laud them for being 'characters'.

meee
08-07-2017, 10:00 PM
I was on Centre yesterday. Murray's strength of will and bloody mindedness not to be beaten are fantastic but having watched both him and Nadal on court yesterday, I would put more money on a Spanish winner than a British one.

The 3rd set between Nadal and Khachanov was one of the best sets of tennis I've seen all year.Very high quality.Nadal has maintained his clay court form and looks like he'll be hard to stop.That's the first time he has lost 5 games or more in a set since the Australian Open!

cpfc4evandeva
09-07-2017, 04:48 AM
Yes, but the point is that if those Palace players collectively said 'Yeah, we couldn't be arsed to try as we're all a bit bored with football', the likelihood is that most people wouldn't laud them for being 'characters'.

I'd appreciate their refreshing honesty :D

Dobbo
10-07-2017, 06:01 PM
Getting really annoyed watching Nadal"s pre service routine. Evety single point he pulls his shorts out of his arse; tugs at both shoulders; picks both ears; wipes his nose and both eyes.Surprised he doesn't brush his teeth. Hope he gets knocked out.

bubbs11
10-07-2017, 07:02 PM
What a match this is.

Good thing for everyone else still in tournament that whoever goes through here will be shattered physically.

pallet
10-07-2017, 07:09 PM
4 1/2 hours in and these two still going at it like it is the first set. What a game.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
10-07-2017, 07:11 PM
Getting really annoyed watching Nadal"s pre service routine. Evety single point he pulls his shorts out of his arse; tugs at both shoulders; picks both ears; wipes his nose and both eyes.Surprised he doesn't brush his teeth. Hope he gets knocked out.

I'd definitely make him wash his hand before I shook it at end of match. Dirty bastard.

bubbs11
10-07-2017, 07:33 PM
Nadal out

MasterYoda
10-07-2017, 07:33 PM
Whoop

WLYWLYAWYPWF
10-07-2017, 07:34 PM
That was epic. Muller was ice cool. Good result for Murray on paper as well.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
10-07-2017, 07:36 PM
Absolutely wonderful match. When tennis is good it is such a captivating sport. Well done Muller and hard lines Rafa.

Olympian2
10-07-2017, 07:40 PM

Yeah, about that......

bubbs11
10-07-2017, 07:41 PM
That also means that Djokovic can't play today and will have to play tomorrow, leaving him without a day's rest for the quarters if he wins. Shame :)

meee
10-07-2017, 07:51 PM
That also means that Djokovic can't play today and will have to play tomorrow, leaving him without a day's rest for the quarters if he wins. Shame :)

Sneaky move there by the organisers.They had ample time to put them on centre.

Not a bad days tennis on the whole!

GanbareWashi
10-07-2017, 08:10 PM
Konta won her match, but her opponents coach/ dad kept giving her coaching signals with his hands. i.e. Telling her to go more cross court etc., isn't that cheating?

Kylie_Tracey
10-07-2017, 08:48 PM
I wonder why the organisers didn't get the Djok match straight on the centre court after the Federer match, close the roof and get the lights on so they could have played to a finish tonight? there is heavy rain forecast for tomorrow, idiots.

Kylie_Tracey
10-07-2017, 08:49 PM

there is heavy rain forecast for tomorrow also.

davech
10-07-2017, 09:03 PM
Konta won her match, but her opponents coach/ dad kept giving her coaching signals with his hands. i.e. Telling her to go more cross court etc., isn't that cheating?

I was thinking that as well. Thought it was against the rules too. TV kept highlighting it, so perhaps the powers that be picked up on it. He did seem to stop later, on camera at least.

Yoda
10-07-2017, 09:16 PM
Sneaky move there by the organisers.They had ample time to put them on centre.

Not a bad days tennis on the whole!

Result for me! I've got Centre Court tickets tomorrow and taking son for first visit. Shame it's going to rain as that effects the ground atmosphere, but v grateful we'll see Djokovic and Konta.

st albans
10-07-2017, 09:31 PM
I always thought Konta had more English in her than she has. Hungarian parents, born in Australia and moved to England when she was 14. That's less than rusedski

tsunamiman
10-07-2017, 09:46 PM
I always thought Konta had more English in her than she has. Hungarian parents, born in Australia and moved to England when she was 14. That's less than rusedski

Listen to her speak. She's definitely English.

Shamone
10-07-2017, 10:04 PM
I wonder why the organisers didn't get the Djok match straight on the centre court after the Federer match, close the roof and get the lights on so they could have played to a finish tonight? there is heavy rain forecast for tomorrow, idiots.

If the roof is good enough for you tonight it should be good enough for tomorrows rain, no?

danpalace07
10-07-2017, 10:41 PM
Want Muller to win it now (he won't). Nerves of absolute steel, a brilliant serve and isn't scared to go to the net. Drop shots seem a weakness though. That last set took years off my life and I was supporting Rafa

anyone but boring Murray

Kylie_Tracey
11-07-2017, 06:51 AM

she's about as English as Nelson Mandela is

Kylie_Tracey
11-07-2017, 07:19 AM
what a classy moment from Rafa waiting for Muller to walk off together

st albans
11-07-2017, 11:09 AM
Listen to her speak. She's definitely English.

not really. it was her slightly odd accent that made me google her

cantspell
11-07-2017, 05:07 PM
She had got some fight in her - some match quality tennis

JamTheEagle
11-07-2017, 05:38 PM
Surprised Halep won a set as she looks useless, reluctance to come forward on grass is pathetic.

cantspell
11-07-2017, 05:40 PM
Konta deserves this

JamTheEagle
11-07-2017, 05:53 PM
Williams will wipe the floor with either of these.

LLCOOLSTEVE
stupid crowd

LLCOOLSTEVE
marvelous fayre though

PalaceSi
11-07-2017, 05:56 PM
top stuff, well played Konta, she's good.

mrB
11-07-2017, 05:56 PM
Great game well played Conta

gold76
11-07-2017, 05:58 PM
First lady in the semi's since Wade & Barker in 77

Sleeping Giant
11-07-2017, 05:59 PM
Astonishing performance, best I've seen from a British woman. I don't know how she got out of that 2nd set, Halep just wouldn't go away and just returned everything it seemed. Konta hitting long so often could easily have got down on herself but she just powered on. Fantastic.

waddoneagle
11-07-2017, 06:00 PM
Williams will wipe the floor with either of these.

Times change

LLCOOLSTEVE
11-07-2017, 06:03 PM
Surprised Halep won a set as she looks useless, reluctance to come forward on grass is pathetic.

thats the womens game though, hardly any serve and volley

art malice
11-07-2017, 06:03 PM
She plays some seriously aggressive tennis

Sick Bucket
11-07-2017, 06:11 PM
What a weird final point, it was like Halep just put the ball into the net on purpose after the woman in the crowd screamed, shame, bit of an anti climax.

Sick Bucket
11-07-2017, 06:13 PM

I kind of prefer the women's game, more rallies and I enjoy the views.

Nagyon NBL
11-07-2017, 06:17 PM
It really is wonderful having a Hungarian doing so well at Wimbledon : and such support
from the British crowd - just incredible. I was under the impression you didn't like us "east ern European" types :) brings back warm memories of Balasz Taroczy :) I think i'll have some goulash tonight.

JamTheEagle
11-07-2017, 06:21 PM
Yep. It's horrible.

johnbush
11-07-2017, 06:47 PM
Not been much in men's for a few years either.

Yoda
11-07-2017, 11:16 PM
Great match by Konta, possibly the best ladies match I've seen live at Wimbledon.

Halep was brilliant at returning and reaching shots that few would have done. She also seemed to make fewer errors than Konta.....however, maybe she didn't win because she tends to play it a bit safe at times?

Konta, on the other hand, was braver, though almost to the point of reckless.

It was impressive how she kept focused and playing brave shots, even after missing some by overhitting the base line. That would have frustrated many players, but she just kept going for it.

There were some great rallies with them both smashing it at each other....Ladies tennis has come a long way from what I remember watching here back in the 70s/80s!

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
12-07-2017, 01:42 AM
As someone who watches about 200 tennis matches a year and loves the game far more than football, I'm delighted to see Jo making this run. Konta always had the talent to be a top five player but was a renowned choker who kept blowing winning positions. She's basically reinvented her mindset through sports psychology work and was voted the WTA Most Improved Player last season. I stand by the prediction I made on the Andy Murray thread a year ago that no one seemed willing to credit; that we will have a slam winner in Konta one day. If Jo beats Williams ( and she has a winning record against her so there is a good chance ) and then wins the final, not only will it be a wonderful triumph for British tennis but I'd be confident we'll have a multiple slam winner on our hands because Konta's an even better player on hard courts, which both the US and Aussie Open are played on. Unbelievable times for British tennis at the moment.

Madden
12-07-2017, 02:26 AM
It really is wonderful having a Hungarian doing so well at Wimbledon : and such support
from the British crowd - just incredible. I was under the impression you didn't like us "east ern European" types :) brings back warm memories of Balasz Taroczy :) I think i'll have some goulash tonight.
I think you'll find she's Australian!

Nagyon NBL
12-07-2017, 06:30 AM
I think you'll find she's Australian!

:):sob:

BaldEagle96
12-07-2017, 07:27 AM
First lady in the semi's since Wade & Barker in 77

Virginia Wade got to the semi's again in 1978 where she lost to Chris Evert.

Yoda
12-07-2017, 08:25 AM

He's always done that with his shorts. The Nike staff must wince, because it's not a great advert for the cut of his shorts that they always seem to be stuck up him!

colonel
12-07-2017, 08:38 AM

And British favourite Virginia Wade learnt her tennis in South Africa from age 1-15.
Konta - so what? She's ours now and soon to be a national treasure :)

colonel
12-07-2017, 08:39 AM
A good article in today's Times from Matthew Syed about how women should be playing 5 sets in Grand Slams - not for the usual reasons but because they should not be implicitly assumed to be incapable of doing so - sets a bad example to young girls growing up.
Eg Women can run marathons - why not do 5 sets of tennis?
Worth a read.

Jordan's Jacket
12-07-2017, 08:41 AM
I thought Ginny Wade was from Zimbabwe?

henryhallandhisbasque
12-07-2017, 08:56 AM
Born in UK and raised in South Africa.

greybot
12-07-2017, 09:07 AM

:supergrin:

All those stiff upper lipped daily mail reading brexiteer tennis fans are going to go crazy, if the Ozzie born to Hungarian migrants wins the thing.

WorthingEagle
12-07-2017, 09:23 AM
A good article in today's Times from Matthew Syed about how women should be playing 5 sets in Grand Slams - not for the usual reasons but because they should not be implicitly assumed to be incapable of doing so - sets a bad example to young girls growing up.
Eg Women can run marathons - why not do 5 sets of tennis?
Worth a read.

My main concern would be that there's a larger range of ability and consistency across the women's game. A large percentage of 3-set matches are already 6-1, 6-2 or 6-3, 6-0 processions, imagine how dull adding a pointless third set to that would be.

In the men's game it's only really the big four where the match is as good as over if they're two sets up.

There would also be a lot less chance of upsets.

tsunamiman
12-07-2017, 09:28 AM
Personally I think it should go the other way and the men should play 3 sets. Especially in the early rounds. If Murray/Djoko are 2 sets up then it's over. Whats the point of set 3.

Maybe have both the mens and womens semis/final be 5 sets as they are usually more of a spectacle.

Yoda
12-07-2017, 10:31 AM
I think because most of us only watch the Grand Slams, we get the wrong impression that Men mostly play 5 set matches. When in fact most of their tournaments are 'only' three sets.

Personally I think the Grand Slams are the highest peak of attainment and that the 5 set system helps ensure the best player wins.

It's an interesting debate re the women's game. One concern could be that if they raise their matches to 5 sets, then more of the female stars will simply drop out of playing doubles in order to rest. That's not good for the game, nor the public who enjoy having more chances to see these players and in a different, more relaxed format.

We already have the situation that few of the top men play doubles, partly cos they earn so much in the singles now that they focus on that. But it used to be great seeing the likes of McEnroe, Connors, Nastase in doubles.

Maybe a compromise could be that the women's final could be 5 sets? That'd be an interesting experiment, and have limited, if any, effect on the doubles.

Nagyon NBL
12-07-2017, 10:41 AM
And British favourite Virginia Wade learnt her tennis in South Africa from age 1-15.
Konta - so what? She's ours now and soon to be a national treasure :)

Has she passed the Norman Tebbit " cricket test"? :)

furzy85
12-07-2017, 10:56 AM
I'd guess that adding a whole lot more sets to a tournament would cause a scheduling headache too. 127 matches in the womens draw, minimum of one extra set per match, lets say 45 mins for a set.. 45 x 127 = just over 95 hours - and thats a conservative estimate.
They'd need all 18 courts for an entire day to cover it.
Maybe goodbye to the Sunday restday...

tsunamiman
12-07-2017, 10:57 AM
Cut down the men's doubles to 3 sets would cover some of it.

davematt
12-07-2017, 11:08 AM
I'd guess that adding a whole lot more sets to a tournament would cause a scheduling headache too. 127 matches in the womens draw, minimum of one extra set per match, lets say 45 mins for a set.. 45 x 127 = just over 95 hours - and thats a conservative estimate.

Yep.

Whilst the other slams (especially the Aussie and US Open) would probably be able to accommodate it (given they play night matches as well), it would be a real problem for Wimbledon (and even the French, but you could in theory play night matches on clay).

Even if you added floodlights at Wimbledon, you couldn't play night matches on the grass. It would be destroyed after the first few rounds and they are having enough problems maintaining it this year as it is.

colonel
12-07-2017, 11:43 AM
Maybe have both the mens and womens semis/final be 5 sets as they are usually more of a spectacle.

This would be my preferred option

colonel
12-07-2017, 11:43 AM
This would be my preferred option

For the women's that is

MasterYoda
12-07-2017, 12:58 PM
3 sets until the quarters - 5 sets after that. Both sexes.

All doubles just 3 sets.

saxoneagle
12-07-2017, 02:01 PM

I've never understood why they don't start on a Saturday rather than a Monday. More time for matches, weekends much more convenient for fans (and TV fans, if you so please), you still have the gap between the previous tournament.

It wouldn't take that much extra effort.

However, I'd not want to watch any more women's tennis than is required.

saxoneagle
12-07-2017, 02:02 PM
Yep.

Whilst the other slams (especially the Aussie and US Open) would probably be able to accommodate it (given they play night matches as well), it would be a real problem for Wimbledon (and even the French, but you could in theory play night matches on clay).

Even if you added floodlights at Wimbledon, you couldn't play night matches on the grass. It would be destroyed after the first few rounds and they are having enough problems maintaining it this year as it is.

And the NIMBYs.

art malice
12-07-2017, 02:23 PM
Centre Court when it starts going wrong - worst crowd ever

tsunamiman
12-07-2017, 02:31 PM
I've never understood why they don't start on a Saturday rather than a Monday. More time for matches, weekends much more convenient for fans (and TV fans, if you so please), you still have the gap between the previous tournament.

It wouldn't take that much extra effort.

However, I'd not want to watch any more women's tennis than is required.

Most tournaments start on a monday because others finish on a saturday/sunday. Eastbourne Final for example is the saturday before.

saxoneagle
12-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Most tournaments start on a monday because others finish on a saturday/sunday. Eastbourne Final for example is the saturday before.

Could move it back. Most top players only play Eastbourne if they were shit at Queens!

Kirby
12-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Taxi for Andy (and Judy).

saxoneagle
12-07-2017, 02:38 PM
Sad to see injury ruining Murray's defence.

tsunamiman
12-07-2017, 02:46 PM
Could move it back. Most top players only play Eastbourne if they were shit at Queens!

Top womens grass court tournament outside wimbledon. Harsh to have the final on a friday.

saxoneagle
12-07-2017, 02:49 PM
Top womens grass court tournament outside wimbledon. Harsh to have the final on a friday.

Make it the same week as Queens. The schedule is full and priority should be given to 1000s and GS. If that means dropping a few to make the GS better, then so be it.

Look how many players have dropped out of matches at Wimbledon. There are so many playing with injuries, so fans get screwed.

tsunamiman
12-07-2017, 02:54 PM
Make it the same week as Queens. The schedule is full and priority should be given to 1000s and GS. If that means dropping a few to make the GS better, then so be it.

Look how many players have dropped out of matches at Wimbledon. There are so many playing with injuries, so fans get screwed.

Thats true, think it would be a shame to only have 1 week of grass court tennis before wimbledon. Personally I think wimbledon and the US Open should be pushed back to spread it out a little more.

ForzaPalace
12-07-2017, 02:57 PM
Gutted. All eyes on Konta tomorrow now.

switchboard
12-07-2017, 03:04 PM
:frown:

davematt
12-07-2017, 03:23 PM
Dare I say it but this was coming.

Physically he has been struggling pretty much since the turn of the year. And his results have suggested that.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he does a Federer and decides to take the rest of the year off to allow himself a proper opportunity to rest and recuperate.

If he keeps going on like this (playing when his body is clearly not 100%), he won’t be able to last much longer and playing at a high enough level where he can compete for slams.

Windsor_Eagle
12-07-2017, 03:43 PM
Yep. Mammoth effort to get to World #1. I thought at the time that this year he should save all his energy in the first half of the year for the first three slams (ignore the other tournaments).

I think he'd do well to follow whatever advice his medical team give him about prime recuperation. Rest of year off (maybe partake in the US Open) - focus on 2018. He is at the age now where he needs to think about his legacy and that is usually measured in slams / majors.

He has 2 x Olympic gold medals alongside his three slams and Davis cup achievements. To have held world #1 in the dominant era of Fed, Rafa and Djok is exceptional really. He now need to add another 2 or 3 slams before he retires (tall ask) so, IMO, he needs to focus on them at the exclusion of all other tournaments as his body becomes weary at this stage of his career. He relies on his doggedness and stamina too much to play too many tournaments.

Kylie_Tracey
12-07-2017, 03:49 PM
well done Big Sam, couldn't have faced the pathetic hype any longer if that dour sweaty had won

ebyeeckeagle
12-07-2017, 03:54 PM
well done Big Sam, couldn't have faced the pathetic hype any longer if that dour sweaty had won

Its not hype when someone is actually the real deal.

Hth.

Kylie_Tracey
12-07-2017, 03:54 PM
Yep.

but they are preparing for that eventuality by putting a roof on the No1 court , if there is a washout on the first week Centre/No1 court will have to host far more games by starting earlier and finishing late under the lights and closed roof.

Kylie_Tracey
12-07-2017, 03:55 PM
Its not hype when someone is actually the real deal.

Hth.

so was Tiger Tim Henman, just hope The Fed Express wins again, now he is a real deal!

Yoda
12-07-2017, 04:01 PM
Murray tried so hard to reach number one that I suspect he did overstrain his body. Plus there were all those Davis Cup weekends.

I think he does need a break, and when he returns he might be wise to concentrate on winning titles with fresh legs, even if his ranking slips down a little.

Dobbo
12-07-2017, 04:03 PM

Unnecessary comment !:grrr:

pardew's shorts
12-07-2017, 05:17 PM
Kylie_Tracey once again proving that he is a bellend.

Murray has had shingles, flu, an injured elbow, a glandular-type condition and a clearly very dodgy hip, all within seven months. Some of that may be down to his relentless schedule at the back end of last year. The above all explain his poor year, and also emphasise his excellent achievements in reaching the semis in Paris and the quarters here.

He has been trying to underplay what is clearly a serious injury. I suspect if this had been any other tournament in the world (Slams included, but possibly Olympics excluded, given their rarity), he would have pulled out. Typical bravery to give it a go, without making a fuss, and getting as far as he did.

Murray, and now Djokovic, both proving how relentless the tour can be, especially once you hit 30. One suspects they, and others, will follow Federer and select tournaments to skip as they get older.

Loving all the Konta British/Australian guff, too. She and her family moved to Eastbourne at 14. She has an English accent, and essentially grew up in England (her words), developing her game as a British player alongside a spell at the same Barcelona academy that Murray attended.

If she isn't British, then neither is Bradley Wiggins, or Ben Stokes, or Mo Farah... (could go on for a while here). It's 2017: suck it up, Brexit fans.

Kylie_Tracey
12-07-2017, 05:28 PM

Murray has had shingles, flu, an injured elbow, a glandular-type condition and a clearly very dodgy hip, all within seven months. Some of that may be down to his relentless schedule at the back end of last year. The above all explain his poor year, and also emphasise his excellent achievements in reaching the semis in Paris and the quarters here.

He has been trying to underplay what is clearly a serious injury. I suspect if this had been any other tournament in the world (Slams included, but possibly Olympics excluded, given their rarity), he would have pulled out. Typical bravery to give it a go, without making a fuss, and getting as far as he did.

Murray, and now Djokovic, both proving how relentless the tour can be, especially once you hit 30. One suspects they, and others, will follow Federer and select tournaments to skip as they get older.

Loving all the Konta British/Australian guff, too. She and her family moved to Eastbourne at 14. She has an English accent, and essentially grew up in England (her words), developing her game as a British player alongside a spell at the same Barcelona academy that Murray attended.

If she isn't British, then neither is Bradley Wiggins, or Ben Stokes, or Mo Farah... (could go on for a while here). It's 2017: suck it up, Brexit fans.

dont forget the quintessential British woman Zola Budd

Nagyon NBL
12-07-2017, 05:46 PM

You forgot the "Hungarian guff" :) i enjoy being part of Europe so don't throw this Brexit rubbish at me! I just find it rather amusing that suddenly the Hungarian/Australian connection is "hushed up" and she becomes some kind of "flowering rose of England". If she feels English good for her : i'd like to think she can still be a "modern day" international success story.I am sure her parents have worked very hard so i am very pleased for them.Üdv

danpalace07
12-07-2017, 08:22 PM
Federer has it in the bag. IMO he's playing a level about the rest now

ebyeeckeagle
12-07-2017, 08:36 PM
Federer has it in the bag. IMO he's playing a level about the rest now

Probably, but Cilic an outsider.

Sydenham Eagle
12-07-2017, 08:42 PM
Federer head to head 18-6 v Berdych, 6-1 v Cilic, 3-0 v Querrey

tsunamiman
12-07-2017, 09:01 PM

Zaha, Moses, John Salako all represented england too with not much fuss.

WorthingEagle
13-07-2017, 01:19 PM

:eek:

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
13-07-2017, 01:31 PM
Come on, Jo!

ForzaPalace
13-07-2017, 01:50 PM
Come on Jo. Feeling nervous...

Yoda
13-07-2017, 01:54 PM

Are you seriously suggesting Konta's British citizenship is as dubious as Budd's was?

Maybe do more research, as their circumstances are completely different.

Budd was already a record holder at the top of her sport, when she used a change of citizenship to get round South Africa's athletics ban. I think many of us found that cynical and didn't really consider her British in the same way as we responded to more home-grown talent. I believe she even changed back again to be a SA citizen, when that suited her once more.

Konta came to UK as a 14 year old. She became British whilst still a youngster, and just someone with potential. Up until a year ago, I doubt Australia or Hungary had heard of her or even cared that she could have been 'theirs'.

JamTheEagle
13-07-2017, 03:13 PM
Times change

Don't think they do?

Flabber-gasted that Konta has been so short for this tournament, absolutely no way in hell she should have ever been fav over Venus today for me - a complete rick of a price.

Sleeping Giant
14-07-2017, 06:32 PM
Can't believe how well Berdych played v Fed, I mean he never went away despite being beaten by worldy after worldy. Can't recall ever seeing someone fail to even win a service break but play to that standard.

JamTheEagle
14-07-2017, 06:58 PM
Kontinen deserves double prize money as he has been carrying Watson this entire tournament, she is ******* woeful.

EddieEdwards
14-07-2017, 07:05 PM
Can't believe how well Berdych played v Fed, I mean he never went away despite being beaten by worldy after worldy. Can't recall ever seeing someone fail to even win a service break but play to that standard.He did get one service break in the first set.

meee
14-07-2017, 07:14 PM
Don't think they do?

Flabber-gasted that Konta has been so short for this tournament, absolutely no way in hell she should have ever been fav over Venus today for me - a complete rick of a price.

Yeah I looked at the odds in the morning and was expecting to see Venus about 2/5.Couldn't believe she was evens.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
15-07-2017, 02:28 PM
What a shit final. Glad Venus with the penis got beat though. Can't stand her or her sister.

Yoda
15-07-2017, 02:36 PM
What a strange final. They were closely matched in the first set and I thought Venus would find another level, as she did against Konta.

But as Mugoruza grew in confidence, Venus was deflated. She seemed lacking in fight and just happy to have made the final.

JamTheEagle
15-07-2017, 02:47 PM
Pleased for GM who despite a somewhat iffy forehand, looked the best in the tournament for quite a while.

JAS78
15-07-2017, 02:57 PM
That was over so quickly, whoever in that crowd stumped up a over a grand a ticket must feel ripped off

Come on it's time the women played 5 sets, they are professional athletes.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
15-07-2017, 03:00 PM
Pleased for GM who despite a somewhat iffy forehand, looked the best in the tournament for quite a while.

Nice girl as well. Seems like she has a great personality.

ExiledStirling
15-07-2017, 03:00 PM
Glad Venus with the penis got beat though.
Lady and Gentleman?

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
15-07-2017, 03:02 PM
Gutted that Venus played at 100% against Jo and then had only one good set of tennis in her for the final. But Muguruza is a world number one in waiting and she was really solid. Nice to see a woman who doesn't screech win.

Kylie_Tracey
15-07-2017, 03:23 PM
good sporting story with Garbine winning today, I think I would have given up on woman's tennis if the awful Williams had won again.

Kylie_Tracey
15-07-2017, 03:26 PM
What a shit final. Glad Venus with the penis got beat though. Can't stand her or her sister.

they've both been dreadful for the woman's game, at times its like watching a heavyweight against a flyweight in the majority of the players they face, lets hope they disappear into oblivion very very soon.

Sydenham Eagle
15-07-2017, 03:56 PM
Gutted that Venus played at 100% against Jo and then had only one good set of tennis in her for the final. But Muguruza is a world number one in waiting and she was really solid. Nice to see a woman who doesn't screech win.
Can only assume you watched with volume turned off!?

wedgetail
15-07-2017, 04:36 PM
Apart from being very good, what is the reason for such dislike of the Wiliams sisters?

Kylie_Tracey
15-07-2017, 04:45 PM
Apart from being very good, what is the reason for such dislike of the Wiliams sisters?

Serena threatening to kill a line judge( or words to the effect) at a US Open probably didn't endear herself to the public much, feigning of injury during games than coming back to wipe the floor with her opponent numerous times.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
15-07-2017, 04:49 PM

I've got no problem with their dominance if they are playing by the rules. It's just their demeanor. They exude arrogance and not the admirable kind that certain sports stars such as Federer possess.

Sleeping Giant
16-07-2017, 01:12 PM
If Cilic can snatch an early set it will be interesting. Can't believe Fed, a few years back I remember he was 2 sets up v Tsonga (at Wimbles) yet I thought the Frenchman could still win. It was such a hot day and what with Fed's age and all. Indeed Tsonga did win. Was hoping for a blistering hot direct sun day again today to potentially even it up. Amazing RF is still at an incredible level quite a few years later.

Kylie_Tracey
16-07-2017, 01:57 PM
this insane excessive ball bouncing that Cillic does between his serves surely is of benefit to his opponent especially if after long strength sapping rallies where those spit seconds his opponent can gather more breaths and momentum,he is 10 years younger than RF!

Worksop Palace
16-07-2017, 02:01 PM
Some serious emotional turmoil here for Cilic

jimos_uk
16-07-2017, 02:02 PM

Yep, that didn't look physical.

Hope he can get it together. Hard to watch.

Dingle
16-07-2017, 02:06 PM
Looking a bit better now. Hoping for a bit more of an even game now...

WLYWLYAWYPWF
16-07-2017, 02:09 PM

He's being a right pussyo.

Kylie_Tracey
16-07-2017, 02:13 PM
I wonder if he'll retire?

WLYWLYAWYPWF
16-07-2017, 02:15 PM
I wonder if he'll retire?

I doubt it. He's only 28.

Kylie_Tracey
16-07-2017, 02:17 PM
up there with the Johnny Mac/Chris Lewis final as one of the most one sided ever seen

Dingle
16-07-2017, 02:19 PM
OK. The comeback starts here!

Dingle
16-07-2017, 02:21 PM
Maybe not

WLYWLYAWYPWF
16-07-2017, 02:46 PM
Dog shit final

bubbs11
16-07-2017, 02:50 PM
Prince William's got a hand bag

Kylie_Tracey
16-07-2017, 02:53 PM
felt sorry for Cillic

Timbo
16-07-2017, 03:00 PM
I've got no problem with their dominance if they are playing by the rules. It's just their demeanor. They exude arrogance and not the admirable kind that certain sports stars such as Federer possess.

I have grown to like them over the years. Great performance from Venus at 37

bubbs11
16-07-2017, 03:01 PM
It wasn't so long ago some were saying it was time for Roger to retire. It did seem a futile quest at one point as he tried to regain his glorious past. All credit to him. This victory must taste as sweet as the first.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
16-07-2017, 03:20 PM
I have grown to like them over the years. Great performance from Venus at 37

Performed well first set but gave up in the second.

Louis
16-07-2017, 04:04 PM
Murray/Hingis looking in charge early on v Kontinen/Watson

Worksop Palace
16-07-2017, 04:06 PM
Maybe I should post this on the Guilty Pleasures thread but....

Martina Hingis :love:

ebyeeckeagle
16-07-2017, 04:08 PM
Fed, Nadal, Fed.

John McEnroe might fancy a tilt at US title at this rate.

Louis
16-07-2017, 04:10 PM
Murray/Hingis looking in charge early on v Kontinen/Watson
Or maybe not

ebyeeckeagle
16-07-2017, 04:12 PM
Maybe I should post this on the Guilty Pleasures thread but....

Martina Hingis :love:

Why a guilty pleasure? Stunning looking fit sportswoman who seems to have a lovely personality too.

Worksop Palace
16-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Why a guilty pleasure? Stunning looking fit sportswoman who seems to have a lovely personality too.

I hadn't pegged the personality bit Jono.....;)

Age I suppose. Mind you prolly much younger than me.

Ardent Eagle Forever
16-07-2017, 06:46 PM
Wifey high Five'd Federer after the balcony today, she's pleased as punch. On TV as well. She's the one in the green T polo top,

Worksop Palace
16-07-2017, 08:51 PM
Wifey high Five'd Federer after the balcony today, she's pleased as punch. On TV as well. She's the one in the green T polo top,

I saw her and thought 'phwoor, would I'....

cantspell
17-07-2017, 05:17 AM
felt sorry for Cillic

Thought he was really weak mentally - injured with some blisters ffs - they showed his feet didn't look too bad to me

Big Blue Eagle
01-08-2017, 12:58 PM
Just announced that Amazon Prime will take over ATP tour coverage (Masters 1000 and 500 Series, plus Tour Finals) from Sky from 2018 in another knock back for Sky, although they had scaled back tennis coverage a bit this year. Not clear what will happen to the BBC tour finals deal which runs out in 2018, will the ATP want some FTA element like the PGA does?

Very much looking like Sky's business model is under threat.

Roadblock
08-08-2017, 08:34 AM
Just announced that Amazon Prime will take over ATP tour coverage (Masters 1000 and 500 Series, plus Tour Finals) from Sky from 2018 in another knock back for Sky, although they had scaled back tennis coverage a bit this year. Not clear what will happen to the BBC tour finals deal which runs out in 2018, will the ATP want some FTA element like the PGA does?

Very much looking like Sky's business model is under threat.

All to free up some cash for the next bidding round for the increasingly expensive PL rights. It (along with the HBO/ Sky Atlantic deal to a lesser extent) is still the jewel in Sky's crown.

I wonder if the ATP will be included as part of the Amazon Prime or another of the Amazon Channels which you pay for on top of the Prime membership. I'd argue in the long run it would be better for Amazon's reach if it's the former rather than the latter. Amazon Channels model is great if you want to pick and choose your viewing, but the cost of these add on channels soon adds up.

JamTheEagle
30-08-2017, 08:21 AM
Really hoping for a big showing from Alexander Zverev, been my favourite player on the tour for about a year.

JamTheEagle
31-08-2017, 07:07 AM
And he's out, how predictable.

meee
05-09-2017, 12:25 AM
Well del Potro has just produced one of the best comebacks I've ever seen.

Worksop Palace
10-10-2017, 07:13 PM
Nick kyri what'shisface today

Jesus wept. How old is he ?

#mp3_zone
20-11-2017, 09:21 AM
Jana Novotna has died, just 49.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/42049507

:(

Kylie_Tracey
20-11-2017, 01:56 PM
that is a shame, she's was only a bit younger than myself, no age, a class act always remembered, RIP.

#mp3_zone
20-11-2017, 06:24 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2017/nov/20/jana-novotna-former-wimbledon-champions-career-in-pictures