PDA

View Full Version : 20 Years Ago Today,Sir Steve's return as Manager (V1) 1.3.1997 Oxford Utd 1 Palace 4.

Ismale
01-03-2017, 09:41 AM
Dave Bassett's decision to defect to bottom of the Premiership side Nottingham Forest on the Thursday,Saw Sir Steve Coppell return to the helm the following day after Ray Lewington turned down the offer from Noades to manage the team.

The Saturday saw us visit Oxford Utd,Where goals from Dean Gordon (A collectors item header from a Muscat cross) A Dyer tap in following a corner,Hopkin,from a pass from Freedman & finally Dyer again from another Freedman through ball put us 4-0 up before Oxford got a consolation goal with a far post header from a cross.

Question.

Having just seen that part of the Season review it says that Ray Lewington picked the team for Oxford & that Coppells 'Proper' return was the 1-1 at Home to Leaders Bolton the following midweek?

Is that correct? As its not how I remember it!?

MENTALLY TOUGH
01-03-2017, 09:47 AM
Sir Steve was presented to press i think only 24 hours prior to the game, so probably was Lewington in charge that day with Coppell just taking in a watching brief, I cant remember if he eventually made an appearance down on the the bench.
If I remember correctly at the Bolton game everyone was waiting for him to make an appearance down the touchline but being the man he is, he went straight up into the Directors box to sit next to Uncle Ron.

Selhurst Celtic
01-03-2017, 02:49 PM
I have absolutely no recollection of this game, the scorers, the goals or the result, but I'm pretty sure I was at it.

I was doing far too many buckets in those days.

Billyd
01-03-2017, 03:50 PM
Was my second ever away game as a 9 year old. Remember the terrace behind then goal with no roof.

bestperch
01-03-2017, 04:46 PM
Main memory of this game was leaving slightly early as I had a works do and nearly having a punch up with two Oxford fans in the alley behind the away end !

jaspercpfc
01-03-2017, 04:56 PM
Was my second ever away game as a 9 year old. Remember the terrace behind then goal with no roof.

Always liked the Manor Ground, the lock out on boxing day 93' was superb :D
For all the love I have for Sir Steve, we weren't particularly convincing once he took over that year, and we just about hobbled into the play offs. The team that scored goals for fun earlier in the season disappeared.
I remember a reporter asking Steve what was his key for securing promotion and he replied "to come in with 13 games left with a squad prepared for the challenge ahead"

Chillo
01-03-2017, 08:57 PM

The Cuckoo Lane end.

I remember standing on the terrace and watching the football taking place on the John Radcliffe Hospital pitch behind the stand.

Years before, I had played for the JR team on that pitch; even played against an Oxford United representative team :p

Big Fella
04-03-2017, 12:43 PM
I think I went to this. Did Joey Beauchamp play for them?

jaspercpfc
04-03-2017, 08:50 PM
I think I went to this. Did Joey Beauchamp play for them?

yes, he was a tidy midfielder, probably best remembered for joining West Ham in the summer of 94' getting home sick despite not having kicked a ball, and moving to Swindon :supergrin:

Glaws Eagle
07-03-2017, 01:41 PM
I was there ... IIRC .. it was a cold, grey, miserable, hyperborean, horrible day ... very much like most of the 70's.

old git
08-03-2017, 02:31 PM
Always liked the Manor Ground, the lock out on boxing day 93' was superb :D

That was a good day.We hired a fifteen seater that dropped us at 11 in oxford and returned at midnight to take us home.Great city for drinking.:p

ReadingPalace
08-03-2017, 03:00 PM
A big open terrace with no roof and it was chucking it down, if I remember correctly. The only cover to be found was in the toilets.

Who cares when you are winning, though.

Big Fella
10-03-2017, 01:40 PM
yes, he was a tidy midfielder, probably best remembered for joining West Ham in the summer of 94' getting home sick despite not having kicked a ball, and moving to Swindon :supergrin:

Cheers. In that case I was there #drunk