PDA

View Full Version : Falling out of love with the modern game?

Tim
02-03-2017, 08:49 PM
Written by a City fan but for those that remember the 80's it's something to relate to.

http://www.mcfcwatch.com/2017/03/02/howard-hockin-why-have-so-many-football-fans-fallen-out-of-love-with-the-modern-game/

fioreuk
02-03-2017, 09:02 PM
Written by a City fan but for those that remember the 80's it's something to relate to.

http://www.mcfcwatch.com/2017/03/02/howard-hockin-why-have-so-many-football-fans-fallen-out-of-love-with-the-modern-game/

Good article

PALACEWU
02-03-2017, 09:17 PM
Which city?

Ninjas Headband
02-03-2017, 10:27 PM
The article is pretty spot on for those who started going to football in the Eighties. We're now in our Forties and with families & other stuff that takes priorities. We fell in love with a game that was on it's knees and in some ways part of it's attraction with many of our parents generation deserting and leaving it to various youth sub cultures and gangs. It was our space.

Relatively cheap, you could bowl up with your mates, after a few beers, stand together and have a good laugh for a few quid. At times the game was secondary which was just as well with Palace being so shite in the mid part of that decade. Going to games with your mates is still important to me but over the last few years it's become increasingly more difficult to get hold of tickets for home games, especially if you want to sit together.

The price also discriminates against the poor and young. It's no longer the working mans game in the sense that local people, however poor, could afford to attend. Most have forsaken the terraces for the sofa. Corporate & tourist packages have taken their place. I'm far more likely to be sitting next to a family from Korea than mates who I had been going to games with for30+ years.

The game and it's players have never been richer and more global. A real success story and progress of sorts. For me though the cost is high as I've lost much of what I originally feel in love with the game. Largely this is to do with the Premier League effects and it's soul destroying influences. The game for me is not about money but the passion and love for a team representing a diverse community and having a laugh and shared experience with friends.

spt1978
02-03-2017, 10:31 PM
Still love the game but as ninja's headband said other priorities take over. Saying that, I got rid of my season ticket this year as I do not have time to go every other Saturday and still miss being there.

Popester
02-03-2017, 10:43 PM
I am personally struggling.

On the one hand I love the fact palace is a global brand. At the ticket office at Boro two Italians had their tickets cancelled cos they bought them from a dodgy site and they had to pay another 70+ to attend the game. I remember when 70 would have helped keep the club afloat. Let alone anyone out of England knowing who we are.

On the other I hate having to book tickets months in advance. I've had many STs over the years but due to family and work I can't commit at the mo. The club make it hard supporting palace as a "casual" fan.

cpfc4evandeva
03-03-2017, 10:08 AM
It's a good piece but I'm not sure that many are really falling out of love with the game. And if they are, they're certainly being replaced with other 'customers'.

Look at our crowds. When we were last in the Premier League, we got big gates but we didn't actually sell out that often. Now we do so pretty much every game.

I do feel myself slowly falling out of love though. I don't support Palace just to watch youth team players come through, but it's certainly dispiriting that we've not seen one in several years now. And that is the fault of the club, not just bad luck. Whilst we're shelling out hundreds of thousands a week on a few players, hundreds of our kids are training at Goals. Come on.

Blame the Premier League, Sky, Parish, etc but it doesn't really matter. If I don't renew my season ticket, someone or some company will replace me very quickly. The club don't care who turn up, do they?

If we go down however and don't bounce back straight away, that's when the shit will hit the fan. These customers will stop going. That's why the club shouldn't stop trying to push on, but they also shouldn't forget where we have come from and who we are.

Percy Dalton
03-03-2017, 05:41 PM
I would agree with almost all of that article and for those like me who started watching Palace in the late 1950's the changes have been Titanic. For me the vast majority especially recently for the worse.

While I love to see Palace in the top division somewhere that even back in those far off fourth division days many of us believed we belong, its hard to swallow all that goes with being in the Premier league.

I guess the biggest fear for the long term future of the game is the lack of young fans coming to matches due to costs.