PDA

View Full Version : Pubs for: Southampton

deftones_eagle
15-03-2017, 09:01 AM
Brewdog Southampton for pre drinks, anyone? Me and the old man should be in town mid afternoon.

Tristanjt
15-03-2017, 02:19 PM
South Western Arms near St Denys train station for us - about 10 real ales, away friendly, decent size garden and a large upstairs, 15 minute walk along the Itchen to the ground.

King William
15-03-2017, 09:39 PM
Brewdog Southampton for pre drinks, anyone? Me and the old man should be in town mid afternoon.

5 + a pint. Tossy bar staff, no Thanks.

:)

laggin
17-03-2017, 01:34 AM

most expensive pub that end of town. will be dead on a weds afternoon aswell. plenty more choice elsewhere

Selhurst Celtic
17-03-2017, 03:13 AM
For the league cup game we were in the Alex on Bellevue Road. It was like some weird student pub with nintendos and megadrives set up. We just randomly found ourselves there and ended up with a load of old school Palace fans and took over the place. I don't think it was that good though.

deftones_eagle
17-03-2017, 12:20 PM
I mentioned brewdog as I've always struggled for a decent pint in Southampton.

King William
17-03-2017, 08:41 PM
For the league cup game we were in the Alex on Bellevue Road. It was like some weird student pub with nintendos and megadrives set up. We just randomly found ourselves there and ended up with a load of old school Palace fans and took over the place. I don't think it was that good though.

Ale in there is decent. Used to go in there years ago when I was a student.
You are right now about the Nintendo stuff.... very weird. Especially some of the clientele that frequent it now

EmmerGreenEagle
17-03-2017, 08:46 PM
Rockstone and The Guide Dog are both good. 20min walk from ground

King William
17-03-2017, 08:50 PM

King William
17-03-2017, 08:51 PM
I mentioned brewdog as I've always struggled for a decent pint in Southampton.

Overdraft
The Wellington Arms
The Rockstone
Sadlers
Brewhouse
the tramstop
Guide dog
Belgium & blues
The Alex
Dancing man brewery
Platform tavern
Caskaway
The grapes
White star tavern
The butchers hook
Unity brewery

Plenty more than the above, should keep you going (admittedly not all en route to the ground!)

civil eagle
17-03-2017, 09:05 PM
The Guide Dog was good last season a proper boozer

Tristanjt
17-03-2017, 09:28 PM
Thought the Guide Dog was home only for some reason, all over that as well as the South Western before this one.

Repo Man
18-03-2017, 12:27 AM
Went to The Stage Door by the theatre last season (think it was the first semi respectable place I saw on the walk from the train station), Neighbourhood a street or two from there had a few deals on bottled beers as well, went in there on the way to the ground and also on the way back (wouldn't bother trying to get a drink in the station, it was about 4 for a tin of beer, the bastards)

New LP
18-03-2017, 04:31 AM
Bedford Palace is the area to head for decent pubs. I'd recommend the Cricketers and Alexandra pub.

mseagle
18-03-2017, 06:00 AM
Bedford Palace is the area to head for decent pubs. I'd recommend the Cricketers and Alexandra pub.
I live about 20 mins from Southampton and would second the two pubs suggested. Both pretty close to each other also. Lots of palace fans tend to go to Yates bar top of the high st, but there are plenty of other, decent pubs around

King William
18-03-2017, 09:00 PM
Bedford Palace is the area to head for decent pubs. .

Each to there own on what they deem a decent pub

King William
18-03-2017, 09:00 PM
Thought the Guide Dog was home only for some reason, all over that as well as the South Western before this one.

No, never

BERT'S HEAD
18-03-2017, 09:14 PM
Overdraft
The Wellington Arms
The Rockstone
Sadlers
Brewhouse
the tramstop
Guide dog
Belgium & blues
The Alex
Dancing man brewery
Platform tavern
Caskaway
The grapes
White star tavern
The butchers hook
Unity brewery

Plenty more than the above, should keep you going (admittedly not all en route to the ground!)

Thanks for that, Southampton is up there as you know with some cracking pubs and beer nowadays.

Tristanjt
18-03-2017, 09:27 PM
No, never
Brilliant, always had the best beer when I used to live down there.

King William
18-03-2017, 09:31 PM
Thanks for that, Southampton is up there as you know with some cracking pubs and beer nowadays.

Depending how early you are planning in getting down here, a great pub crawl would be :

From Central....
Walk to Wellington Arms
Cab to Belgium & Blues
Then walk to Sadlers, Brewhouse, Guide Dog and rockstone then walk to ground.
Could also chuck in the Alex aswell

Or, after Welly do it the other way round and walk from Belgium & Blues to ground...slightly shorter walk

New LP
19-03-2017, 03:42 PM
Each to there own on what they deem a decent pub

Sure, life is a broad church of different tastes isn't it?

King William
26-03-2017, 12:58 PM

Just found out that the Wellington Arms is closing last w/end April (well, until a new guvnor can be found)

Sad times.

Get in there on this trip while you can

laggin
27-03-2017, 12:26 AM
Just found out that the Wellington Arms is closing last w/end April (well, until a new guvnor can be found)

Sad times.

Get in there on this trip while you can

so many have closed over the last few years

Tristanjt
28-03-2017, 06:55 PM
Depending how early you are planning in getting down here, a great pub crawl would be :

From Central....
Walk to Wellington Arms
Cab to Belgium & Blues
Then walk to Sadlers, Brewhouse, Guide Dog and rockstone then walk to ground.
Could also chuck in the Alex aswell

Or, after Welly do it the other way round and walk from Belgium & Blues to ground...slightly shorter walk

Looks like we might be heading towards Begium and Blues now...looks like a decent place.

King William
28-03-2017, 07:57 PM
Looks like we might be heading towards Begium and Blues now...looks like a decent place.

Was in there over the weekend. Plenty of choice on pump and bottles

Upstairs (groundlevel) is a gin bar

deftones_eagle
03-04-2017, 09:25 AM
Think we will head to the Wellington Arms now, probably be down there about 3-4pm

andy_cpfc
03-04-2017, 11:32 AM
When I went down for the FA Cup last January the Yate's pub seemed to be a designated away fans pub, is this expected to be the same for Wednesday?

King William
03-04-2017, 11:34 AM
Think we will head to the Wellington Arms now, probably be down there about 3-4pm

good choice. Will be heading there myself for a quick pint similar time before going elsewhere.
Back there after the game

Big Al
03-04-2017, 12:27 PM
When I went down for the FA Cup last January the Yate's pub seemed to be a designated away fans pub, is this expected to be the same for Wednesday?

What exactly is a 'designated away pub'?

Designated by who?

old git
03-04-2017, 12:33 PM
What exactly is a 'designated away pub'?

Designated by who?

One where you end up covered in beer .

Bizarro
05-04-2017, 08:22 AM
Went to the giddy bridge for the cup last year, probably do the same tonight.

Tristanjt
05-04-2017, 09:48 AM
We're doing South Western Arms at 5 then heading to Belgium and Blues to meet some Saints' friends about 6 or just after. Looking forward to some good beer.

sutekh
05-04-2017, 04:09 PM
Heyas, fan from Sydney Australia here just flew in today and @ Belgian and Blues, this will be my first live match in the flesh.

Joe.L
05-04-2017, 05:06 PM
Heyas, fan from Sydney Australia here just flew in today and @ Belgian and Blues, this will be my first live match in the flesh.

Nice one! Enjoy the game and lets hope you start with a win!