PDA

View Full Version : Captains Courageous

Ardent
23-03-2017, 11:32 AM
Musing on the impact of 2 of our recent signings, Sakho and Milvojevic, and considering the impact they have had on the rest of the team and not just as player upgrades but improving the performance of all the other players in the side.
I started to think of what other players, since the early 90's have had a similar impact with their leadership and other qualities, even if they weren't captains.

The obvious candidates are Thorn, Young and Martyn their arrival turned what was a disastrous start to the season into one of the most successful periods in our history.

The following list are my suggestions for such players:

Geoff. Thomas : The thread title says it all

Lombardo : Thorough pro. and world class player

Michael Hughes : Dynamo, must have been special in his prime

Rhiilahti : Similar to Hughes

Popovic : As coach and player

Clint Hill : Hard man, we were never bullied or intimidated
with him in the side

Glen Murray : Talisman, shame that injuries and A.P. shortened his career with us

Jerdinak : Another captain courageous

Delaney : His first 3 yeasr in the Premiership with us was a fairy story

There must be others and it would be interesting to hear from some of the older members about earlier eras.

beef
23-03-2017, 11:52 AM
Kevin Phillips. He lead the line well and added that extra quality and nous that we needed to get promoted. To slot in so well and have an impact at his age sums him up as a professional.

Naboo
23-03-2017, 12:08 PM
Shaun Derry, Matt Lawrence, Paddy McCarthy, Clint Hill, Julian Speroni - all leaders in the 2010 survival team with Darren Ambrose being the talisman.

Dougie Freedman was also very vocal on the pitch before that.

DARZET EAGLE
23-03-2017, 04:19 PM
Musing on the impact of 2 of our recent signings, Sakho and Milvojevic, and considering the impact they have had on the rest of the team and not just as player upgrades but improving the performance of all the other players in the side.
I started to think of what other players, since the early 90's have had a similar impact with their leadership and other qualities, even if they weren't captains.

The obvious candidates are Thorn, Young and Martyn their arrival turned what was a disastrous start to the season into one of the most successful periods in our history.

with him in the side

Glen Murray : Talisman, shame that injuries and A.P. shortened his career with us

There must be others and it would be interesting to hear from some of the older members about earlier eras.

Johnny Byrne is my favourite, possibly the best forward in our history. He was skilful, tricky, cheeky and scored goals for fun, teasing defenders and always looking to bring others into the game. He earned a full England cap whilst we were in the third division, and after moving to West Ham for record fee of 65000, went on to score 8 goals in 11 Internationals.
Cliff Holton had the hardest shot I have seen, and scored goals for fun when signed from Northampton Town in 1962. He went on to score 40 goals for us in 101 games. He hit 134 goals in 182 games with his previous two clubs Watford and Northampton in the 4 seasons prior to joining us. Cliff left both those two clubs as their record ever goalscorer.
George Petchey wouldn't be messed with in the early 60's, although he played with a superb skipper in Johnny McNichol who was signed from Chelsea.
In the same decade John McCormick was a hard as nails Scottish centre half who Bert Head signed from Aberdeen for 1500, and was the original bargain buy. Full back John Sewell, signed from Charlton, captained the side in 1968/69 to Promotion to the top flight for the first time. 'Shovel', as I believe he was called, never let the club down, and was the calmest defender you could wish for.
In the 70's there were several golden players, foremost was Don Rogers, a brilliant winger who glided across the pitch and had a great eye for goal.
Wright and Bright of course made some impact every time they took to the pitch and were almost expected to score! Martyn in goal was our best ever keeper, so composed, athletic, a great shot stopper, and dominant in the box.
I loved Eric 'Ninja' Young who looked fearsome wearing his headband, and the twinkling feet of Vince Hilaire and John Salako. Michael Hughes, what a warrior in midfield, and Mark Dennis...well just a warrior at full back.
The list of our real characters, great captains. leaders, and showmen is endless over the decades. I have enjoyed my memories down memory lane.

Thanet Eagle
23-03-2017, 04:41 PM
Paul Stewart on loan from Liverpool in the title winning 1993-94 season. His work rate was superb and he was a great partner for the prolific Chris Armstrong that season.

FourtyTwo
23-03-2017, 05:22 PM

with him in the side

A quick pedant point - Young signed in the summer after the cup final, and not the same season as Thorn / Martyn.

I would say Dowie and Houghton led to a significant improvement in the team - just a shame Houghton was so late (deadline day IIRC) otherwise his impact may have kept us up!

Vince Hilaire's Afro
23-03-2017, 06:10 PM
Surprised not to have heard Jim Cannon's name yet!

Jim Cannon
23-03-2017, 06:25 PM
Surprised not to have heard Jim Cannon's name yet!

me too

Vince Hilaire's Afro
23-03-2017, 06:28 PM
Gareth Southgate was never a particular favourite of mine, but despite being quite young himself he led Alan Smith's promotion team particularly well.

LONDONMAN
23-03-2017, 06:58 PM
I guess I'm getting old now, but my favourite Palace captain is still Ian Evans, nearly 40 years on.

He signed with Terry Vegtables (cough, spit) in the deal that saw Don Rogers go to QPR in the summer of 1974, if I remember correctly.

He was a very calming influence on the pitch and comfortably one of our top ten central defenders I have seen in my 46 plus years of watching Palace games.

A hero in the great Cup Run of 1976 and the subsequent promotion from Division Three in 1977, he was also called up for Wales as a full International several times, in what was the one of the best Welsh teams until the current side.

It was really only after his injury, from a horror tackle by George Best (cough, spit) where he suffered a badly broken leg, that Jim Cannon really took over as our regular captain, which was possibly a good thing (it also lead to the introduction, at a very tender age, of Billy Gilbert) as his replacement at CB, another Palace legend too.

For my money though, he was the player we missed most in 1980 when things began to unravel for 'The Team of the 80's'. Jimmy Cannon and Paul Hinshelwood were still in their early 20's back then, we had imported Gerry Francis and Mike Flanagan who were much older and more experienced than the much younger lads like Sansom, Fenwick, Gilbert, Hilaire, Walsh, Murphy, Nicholas etc, but Evans was probably the father figure they needed, but was by then two years out of action - he restarted his career at Barnsley, forming a partnership with Mick McCarthy, that lasted for decades on and off the pitch.

Of course, he came back to Palace in 1984 as Steve Coppell's first assistant, which lasted up until around 1987 when he moved on to become boss at Swansea, taking a young John Salako on loan in his very formative years.

Great captain and strong character that really eptomised the spirit of Palace as far back as the Allison era.

ExiledStirling
23-03-2017, 07:18 PM
Bobby Kellard in the early '70s (I do not know what he was like in first spell at the club) I remember as having a massive impact on the team. A player who is one of my all time favourite Palace players (but behind John Jackson, my all time favourite).

However Geoff Thomas is the standout for me as he just oozed command and authority on the pitch.

DARZET EAGLE
23-03-2017, 09:01 PM
Bobby Kellard in the early '70s (I do not know what he was like in first spell at the club) I remember as having a massive impact on the team. A player who is one of my all time favourite Palace players (but behind John Jackson, my all time favourite).

However Geoff Thomas is the standout for me as he just oozed command and authority on the pitch.

Bobby didn't stay too long at any of his clubs, usually one or two seasons. I think his best spell was the first one in 1963/65 as a 20 year old. He had loads of skill and youthful enthusiasm. Geoff Thomas was a fantastic player fous, another player from the Crewe production line.

Bipe
23-03-2017, 09:54 PM
Kevin Taylor may have been overlooked, the first player to really exhibit a winning attitude on the field as we started to tentatively emerge from he early 80s doldrums. Just a shame had had to play alongside the pretty useless Steve Ketteridge most of the time. Taylor was really a precursor to Geoff Thomas, who Coppell upgraded him for at the start of 87/88

davech
23-03-2017, 10:32 PM
[/B]

Johnny Byrne is my favourite, possibly the best forward in our history. He was skilful, tricky, cheeky and scored goals for fun, teasing defenders and always looking to bring others into the game. He earned a full England cap whilst we were in the third division, and after moving to West Ham for record fee of 65000, went on to score 8 goals in 11 Internationals.
Cliff Holton had the hardest shot I have seen, and scored goals for fun when signed from Northampton Town in 1962. He went on to score 40 goals for us in 101 games. He hit 134 goals in 182 games with his previous two clubs Watford and Northampton in the 4 seasons prior to joining us. Cliff left both those two clubs as their record ever goalscorer.
George Petchey wouldn't be messed with in the early 60's, although he played with a superb skipper in Johnny McNichol who was signed from Chelsea.
In the same decade John McCormick was a hard as nails Scottish centre half who Bert Head signed from Aberdeen for 1500, and was the original bargain buy. Full back John Sewell, signed from Charlton, captained the side in 1968/69 to Promotion to the top flight for the first time. 'Shovel', as I believe he was called, never let the club down, and was the calmest defender you could wish for.
In the 70's there were several golden players, foremost was Don Rogers, a brilliant winger who glided across the pitch and had a great eye for goal.
Wright and Bright of course made some impact every time they took to the pitch and were almost expected to score! Martyn in goal was our best ever keeper, so composed, athletic, a great shot stopper, and dominant in the box.
I loved Eric 'Ninja' Young who looked fearsome wearing his headband, and the twinkling feet of Vince Hilaire and John Salako. Michael Hughes, what a warrior in midfield, and Mark Dennis...well just a warrior at full back.
The list of our real characters, great captains. leaders, and showmen is endless over the decades. I have enjoyed my memories down memory lane.

Agree with all that. 100%

DARZET EAGLE
23-03-2017, 11:05 PM
Agree with all that. 100%

Great memories Davech. You have loads too I expect. When things get a bit tight in the big boy's league, it's great to cherish the great times from the past (and remember the bad days for balance). Great times for me though and I suspect we will continue to enjoy them.:p

davech
23-03-2017, 11:41 PM

Yes - Bobby Kellard. Hard as nails, always up for the battle.
And John Jackson, our best ever goalkeeper (Sorry, Darzet). 4 years a hero. Was one of the main reasons we survived 4 seasons. Probably Big Mal's biggest ever mistake to dump him.

I will add a few of my own:
Gerry Queen - regular goalscorer in hard times; another astute buy by Bert Head.
Roger Hoy. And not forgetting THAT header v Chelsea in the cup.
And Mark Lazarus. From a boxing family. 'Nuff said :D

Maybe I really am 'old and jaded', but the modern players simply don't seem to have the same charisma :(

DARZET EAGLE
24-03-2017, 11:41 AM
And John Jackson, our best ever goalkeeper (Sorry, Darzet). 4 years a hero. Was one of the main reasons we survived 4 seasons. Probably Big Mal's biggest ever mistake to dump him.

Gerry Queen - regular goalscorer in hard times; another astute buy by Bert Head.

Maybe I really am 'old and jaded', but the modern players simply don't seem to have the same charisma :(

Indeed, old and jaded at your age, you must be joking, 70 is the new 60!

A lot of modern players have enjoyed the fruits of their hard work and success. At the top level they have earned a fortune, with weekly pay exceeding the income most supporters would make in 2-3 years. Many modern media superstars, including footballers, lack charisma in my view bit it depends how you view charisma I guess. I believe the entertainment business is all a bit sanitised. Our heroes (and characters) certainly on the football field would be overlooked by many younger supporters who understandable favour terrific goalscorers, tricky wingers like Zaha, cultured midfielders, dominating defenders and acrobatic goalkeepers.
As I said in my previous post, give me a Cliff Holton, Johnny Byrne, Don Rogers, Ian Wright any time, and add into the mix Clinton Morrison, Mark Lazarus, Bill Glazier, Jacko, Budgie Burridge, Sasa Curcic, Alfie Noakes.

big bad John
26-03-2017, 12:32 AM
I know he turned from a happy go lucky adventurous player to a grumpy, tactically inept manager but Peter Taylor definitely deserves a mention. As far as captains go one who hasn't been mentioned is Roy Barry.

ExiledStirling
26-03-2017, 12:39 AM

Jacko was surely the ONLY reason we survived 4 seasons.

Hoy's goal was the first goal I ever saw us score live (take it you are talking the 1-4 defeat to Chelsea in the FA cup Feb 1970?)

DARZET EAGLE
26-03-2017, 09:52 PM
I know he turned from a happy go lucky adventurous player to a grumpy, tactically inept manager but Peter Taylor definitely deserves a mention. As far as captains go one who hasn't been mentioned is Roy Barry.

According to Wiki, he played 41 games for us between 1973/75. He was an uncompromising Scottish centre half, hard as nails.