PDA

View Full Version : 1971....Leicester v Palace

leicester1
24-03-2017, 08:30 PM
On our side [Leicester] A Debate is going on regarding the season 1970/71 and 1971/72....Filbert Street saw mass hooliganism around Easter with home games against both Derby and Notts Forest....our club decided enough was enough and sectioned our Spion Kop into 4 pens 1-4.....in the new season 1971/72 we played Palace at Filbert Street and one of the first home games was against Palace....was it the first?........Did anyone come on up to Leicester for this match and was it in September or October?..........its a very interesting debate as theres other stuff being spoken about as 2 of the kop leaders G AND C both took their mates over to the Popular side to watch games which was then standing .....Palace fans of the 80's would know the Popular stand as the East Stand side of pen 1.......any memories ?

old git
24-03-2017, 08:38 PM
On our side [Leicester] A Debate is going on regarding the season 1970/71 and 1971/72....Filbert Street saw mass hooliganism around Easter with home games against both Derby and Notts Forest....our club decided enough was enough and sectioned our Spion Kop into 4 pens 1-4.....in the new season 1971/72 we played Palace at Filbert Street and one of the first home games was against Palace....was it the first?........Did anyone come on up to Leicester for this match and was it in September or October?..........its a very interesting debate as theres other stuff being spoken about as 2 of the kop leaders G AND C both took their mates over to the Popular side to watch games which was then standing .....Palace fans of the 80's would know the Popular stand as the East Stand side of pen 1.......any memories ?
First time I went was the Friday night game in 1979.We had quite a lot there I seem to remember and occupied two pens.

leicester1
24-03-2017, 08:43 PM
I was at that one OG....As you left Filbert street and walked up the dark tree lined street singing you then turned left on the main Aylestone Road...I was to your right behind the police corden as you headed towards the rugby ground and up towards the train station....I'm asking about Autumn 1972....I'm pretty interested in the atmosphere at Filbert Street as our locals were reorganising to an extent with the Spion Kop changed into 4 cages and groups of our lads re-locating.......

leicester1
24-03-2017, 08:54 PM
Ill come back to this when more of our older supporters notice the original debate and more Palace look in......just a heads up......has anyone read ''sharp as a blade'' by Ronnie Knight.?...theres a few pages describing the good relations between our man and Sheffields and both groups...it touches on the day it ended when Sheffield came to take Leicesters Spion Kop........its a long time ago and both fellas still meet up for a beer....very interesting stuff for supporters who were around back then.

big bad John
26-03-2017, 12:07 AM
I was at Filbert street in 72 but it was the 72-73 season. It was just before xmas and I think it was a week after we hammered United 5-0. In those days Palace didn't have much travelling support. Outside of London the only places we brought numbers was Coventry, Ipswich and Southampton. Places you were less likely to get your head kicked in.
That season at Leicester we had no noticeable support in the ground. Me and my two mates got chased as soon as we got off the coach by Leicester fans who were waving Palace scarves. When we went over to greet them they pulled out City scarves and we had to do our Roger Bannister impersonations. We went in the away end opposite your main end and in there Leicester had a large crew of skinheads who soon sussed us out. The friendly old bill allowed the three of us to go and watch the game in the enclosure.
Looking back it seems funny that as a thirteen year old I was getting chased around the murky back streets of Leicester whereas If I was thirteen now I wouldn't be allowed to be left in the house alone.

leicester1
26-03-2017, 06:40 PM
Nice one john....ive heard a few stories from the 60's and up to when I first started going frequently in 77...like I said above.....if you get a chance have a look at ''Sharp as a Blade'' ..interesting few pages on a mate of mine and describes the turnaround at Leicester from the grebo look to the skinhead look ....

Sleeping Giant
26-03-2017, 07:15 PM
I was at Filbert street in 72.

So was I but somewhat randomly I was at Leicester v Liverpool. We got in about 15 mins late and Liverpool were already 2-0 to the good (Toshack 2). Leicester came back to win 3-2 with a Weller hatrick. Crazy random game to go to. Can't remember any trouble.

old git
26-03-2017, 07:21 PM
My brother was at university in Leicester in the early 70's. He went to a few games at Filbert street and remembers West Ham charging through the terrace.

leicester1
26-03-2017, 07:54 PM
Unfortunately the game I mentioned hasn't provoked any more reminices.......the fan culture at Leicester and in general up and down the country is a favourite topic of mine particularly 60's and 70's when I started going home and away....I recall going to Leicester v Newcastle with my parents around 1975 and being up in the Double Decker above our Spion Kop,thats where all the noise came from and I was more interested in the fantastic atmosphere down there than a crap 0-0 being played out on the pitch...I recall Malcom Macdonald getting a lot of stick.....unfortunately my parents split and I was lucky enough to get taken to the odd match by my mates dad.....then at the age of 12 was trusted to start going to games in 77 being looked after by older lads.....then over the past few years iv'e started to meet some of the main terrace players from back in the 60's and 70's at reunions so have gotten to hear a lot of the old tales 60's and 70's.....unfortunately the planned book describing those times is currently on hold.

ian king
27-03-2017, 10:26 PM
In September/October 1971 Palace manager Bert Head chose to 'overhaul' the playing squad. Steve Kember went to Chelsea and Alan Birchenall to Leicester, other players came in including Bobby Kellard from Leicester. By coincidence Palace played at Leicester so 'Birch' and Kellard faced their former clubs and a couple of other players new to Palace made their debuts (?Sammy Goodwin). I was at Filbert Street that afternoon but in the enclosure of the main stand so cannot comment on the segregation subject.
I hear that 'Birch' recently underwent heart surgery so I trust he is recovering well.

leicester1
28-03-2017, 04:48 AM
Nice one Ian...yes.....the Birch is recovering well

DARZET EAGLE
28-03-2017, 10:46 AM
Let's not forget the transfer from Leicester of Mark Bright in 1986, who made his name with us. He scored 91 goals in 227 games over five seasons, and was a bargain signing by Steve Coppell for 75,000. :p

moverman
31-03-2017, 04:08 PM
Think the last time we drew 4-4 was against Leicester, early 80's...?

leicester1
31-03-2017, 05:19 PM
I think the 4-4 80's vid is in this section of memories...somewhere.:p...

ian king
03-04-2017, 11:01 PM
I've now been able to delve into the archives regarding the match at Filbert Street on 2nd October 1971. The press billed it as the battle of 'The Big Spenders' as Leicester had spent 200,000 and Palace 180,000 (and more to come). Bobby Kellard, Bobby Bell and John Craven had made their Palace debuts in the previous game (2-1 over Everton at SP) and Sammy Goodwin made his debut at Leicester. Leicester's new players were Alan Birchenall from Palace and Keith Weller from Chelsea who, it seems, were making their Foxes debuts.

The game ended 0-0 while Birchenall, Goodwin and Mel Blyth all had shots that ended out of the ground!

leicester1
04-04-2017, 01:59 AM
Nice one.....and not forgetting Leicesters new caged Spion Kop...from this...

leicester1
04-04-2017, 04:04 AM
To this.......Filbert Street R.I.P.