PDA

View Full Version : Underrated, rarely mentioned, yet cracking teams from the past

Vince Hilaire's Afro
04-04-2017, 03:05 AM
Sometimes, smaller clubs or bigger ones that haven't enjoyed recent success get a kind of perfect storm of players that create a team that's a joy to watch (sadly for the fans, not for very long usually). What teams from the past rarely get mentioned these days, but lit it up back in the day?

That Oxford United team that eventually went on to win the Milk Cup. John. Aldridge, Trevor Hebberd, Ray Houghton, Kevin Brock. A few seasons earlier they gave us a true pumping at the Manor Ground, playing some fantastic stuff.

The Coventry team that won the FA Cup, Spurs the season Clive Allen scored 187 goals in 42 games, and the WBA team from the late 70s/early 80s with Regis, Cunningham, Moses, and Robson spring to mind for me

KYLIE MINEAGLE
04-04-2017, 03:12 AM
Ipswich Town in the 70s . Stuffed the wankers in one game and Gary Bailey the Franchisester keeper saved 3 pens if I recall correctly.

bubbs11
04-04-2017, 05:10 AM
Wimbledon in the 80's. Okay, not the most pleasing on the eye, but I still look back in awe at what that club achieved in such a short space of time and with very little finances.

When Palace we're away in the early 80's, I'd often pop along to Plough Lane to see them in the 4th and 3rd divisions. Even back then they had the likes of Dave Beasant, Alan Cork, Nigel Winterburn, Glyn Hodges and Lawrie Sanchez. By the time they'd progressed to Division 2 with us they'd added Andy Thorn, John Fashanu, John Scales and Dennis Wise.

All these players plied their trade at the top of the game for years with many honours between them, and yet probably cost Wimbledon in total next to nothing to sign.

Bipe
04-04-2017, 05:52 AM
Moving across to Spain, both Valencia and Deportivo had great teams around the turn of the millennium and managed to infiltrate the Madrid-Barcelona duopoly for a few seasons.

Valencia got to two champions league finals, sadly losing them both, with Mendieta and Aimar pulling the strings. Deportivo won the Spanish league and threw away a great chance to win the champions league in 2004 when they lost to Porto in the semi finals. Their 4-0 hammering of what was then still a great Milan side after losing the first leg 4-1 was one of the most exciting games I have ever watched. They had Valeron as their playmaker and some other top players such as rumoured Palace target Kily Gonzalez

El Aguila
04-04-2017, 06:28 AM
There was the Celta team with Mostovoi, Karpin, Mazinho, Gustavo Lopez, Makalele, Lubo Penev, and Caņizares followed by Dutruel in goal which thrashed Real Madrid 5-1 and reached two Spanish Cup Finals and the quarters of the UEFA. That was something to watch

WLYWLYAWYPWF
04-04-2017, 07:16 AM
Ipswich Town in the 70s . Stuffed the wankers in one game and Gary Bailey the Franchisester keeper saved 3 pens if I recall correctly.

That was in 1980

KYLIE MINEAGLE
04-04-2017, 07:21 AM
That was in 1980

When you're my age close enough is good enough :D Still the same team I think you'll find.

Adlerhorst
04-04-2017, 07:24 AM
PSV 1987/88.

Lost Gullit to Milan and responded by winning everything

Bones14
04-04-2017, 07:37 AM
Aston Villa 80-81, 81-82

HOVE EAGLE
04-04-2017, 07:43 AM
Aston Villa 80-81, 81-82

They also had no foreign players
Thought the forest team that won the European cup were pretty good

HOVE EAGLE
04-04-2017, 07:45 AM
They also had no foreign players
Thought the forest team that won the European cup were pretty good

Sorry forest are mentioned quitealot!

Billyd
04-04-2017, 07:58 AM
Remember as a kid looking forward to watching Leeds play. Must have been around 2000. Harry Kewell, Alan Smith, Rio Ferdinand and of course Big Nige.

Not sure they actually won anything?

BR5 Eagle
04-04-2017, 08:05 AM
Remember as a kid looking forward to watching Leeds play. Must have been around 2000. Harry Kewell, Alan Smith, Rio Ferdinand and of course Big Nige.

Loved that team. Nigel or Paul Robinson between the sticks

Ian Harte, Woodgate, Rio, Danny Mills

Kewell, Bowyer, Dacourt, Bakke

Viduka, Smith

East-End Eagle
04-04-2017, 08:25 AM
Loved that team. Nigel or Paul Robinson between the sticks

Ian Harte, Woodgate, Rio, Danny Mills

Kewell, Bowyer, Dacourt, Bakke

Viduka, Smith

Yeah but hey got carried away and spent all the money in company cars for the "cleaner" and other staff and exotic gold fish. Look where they are now.

Nigelbrag
04-04-2017, 08:30 AM
There are a few teams that i could recall that provided me with memories on the world stage, but for me the most enjoyable experience was seeing the development of our very own "Team of the Eighties". There was so much young outstanding talent coming through at a club like little old Palace, that if it had been at a club with greater tradition and the finances to further develop, they would have made the Whole Country stand up and take notice, and got far more recognition than they got. Looking back there must have been 6/7 players of true outstanding ability, complemented with another 2/3 of very decent quality and coached by possibly the most innovative coach of youngsters in Europe, the superbly talented Johnny Cartwright, with total support from just as much of an innovative manager in Big Mal.
Yes there was some great teams that we can all recall, but for me nothing compares to when seeing an outstanding team develop in Your own backyard.

Scotland's No9
04-04-2017, 08:32 AM
Red Star Belgrade and their march to the 91 European Cup Final (shame about the final itself...)

Great article here: https://sports.vice.com/en_uk/article/the-team-dismantled-by-war-red-star-belgrades-final-european-triumph

I particularly liked Walter Smith's report back to Souness following his trip to watch them in advance of Rangers second round tie: "We're ****ed"

As a teenager at the time the joy of discovering them with no preconceived idea (no FIFA ratings, no YouTube clicks, very limited TV coverage) still stays with me.

The break up that team due to the war in Yugoslavia meant we'll never know what they could have achieved.

laboxers
04-04-2017, 08:41 AM
Leicester team of the mid-nineties I quite enjoyed. Keller in goal, big bruising centre backs in Walsh and Elliott (who also used to play as an emergency striker too), Guppy on the left wing, Izzet and Lennon is midfield, and Big Emile and two ugly guys in Claridge and Marshall up top. Cameos from Savage, Cottee, Zagorakis, Mark Robins, Garry Parker, Spencer Prior etc

Littlecaesar
04-04-2017, 08:42 AM
Sampdoria's 90/91 team that won the league then had some of the best players in Europe over the subsequent years.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
04-04-2017, 09:09 AM
Wimbledon in the 80's. Okay, not the most pleasing on the eye, but I still look back in awe at what that club achieved in such a short space of time and with very little finances.

When Palace we're away in the early 80's, I'd often pop along to Plough Lane to see them in the 4th and 3rd divisions. Even back then they had the likes of Dave Beasant, Alan Cork, Nigel Winterburn, Glyn Hodges and Lawrie Sanchez. By the time they'd progressed to Division 2 with us they'd added Andy Thorn, John Fashanu, John Scales and Dennis Wise.

All these players plied their trade at the top of the game for years with many honours between them, and yet probably cost Wimbledon in total next to nothing to sign.
My dad used to take me there too - they had a player who left just before they hit the big time who was the last survivor from their non league days. His name was John Leslie (not the Scottish one) and he was a goalscoring legend!

cranesparkeagle
04-04-2017, 09:13 AM
Bobby Robsons Ipswich side of with the likes of mills Whymark Marriner Wark< burley etc. Terrific football team

EagleSE24
04-04-2017, 09:18 AM
Villa in the 89/90 season were great. Finished second to a very good Liverpool team.

David Platt was the best player in the league along with John Barnes. Tony Daley on the wing. Gordon Cowans pulling the strings in midfield. One of the most underrated players of his time.

ChuckMcBalls
04-04-2017, 10:00 AM
Slightly deviating from the "good team", rather more "entertaining team" and will always be remembered for me is the Carlisle United team (2011/2012) when I lived there with my parents. I have never seen so many exciting games in one season, and for a relegation favourite, they almost made the playoffs (3 points out), and beat a lot of the big teams. Every game seemed to have tons of goals and excitement/drama.

In one memorable 4 game stretch they went;

0-4 versus Charlton

3-0 versus Yeovil

3-2 versus Sheff Wed (including Gary Madine's first return to Carlisle - he gets sent off mid way through the game for kicking someone, and then attempting to head butt the ref. He then tries to storm the crowd before going down the tunnel)

3-3 versus Oldham (losing 3-0, last minute equalisier from Zoko taking on their whole team and rounding the keeper)

Other great matches; 3-3 away versus rivals Preston (they equalised 92nd min), 3-2 win versus Sheffield United.

I do miss watching the lower leagues. The unpredictability of everything and the random players that show up for a season or two. I remember Hartlepool that year having Nolberto Solano still playing for them in his last season of professional football. Mental.

Panther
04-04-2017, 10:16 AM
Carlisle were good in the early/mid 70s also, when they got promoted to the old First Division for the only time. They got relegated straight away but had some good days - I remember them beating Man City 2-1 at Maine Road during my time living in Manchester, and that was the Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Marsh team, so no mean feat. Can't remember too many players, but Chris Balderstone was an elegant inside left who also played first class cricket and Hugh McIlmoyle was another.

Timbo
04-04-2017, 10:29 AM
Huddersfield Town 1970's, Frank Worthington, Geoff Hutt, Jimmy Nicholson, Trevor Cherry, Roy Ellam et al

CharlieCPFC
04-04-2017, 10:31 AM
Gus Poyet's Brighton side

CharlieCPFC
04-04-2017, 10:33 AM

This for me, still remember being about 8 watching that fa cup game at Selhurst in excitement.

Bones14
04-04-2017, 10:40 AM
Aston Villa 80-81, 81-82

Reckon the title winning team in 80-81 only used 13 or 14 players in the League. That's one lucky run with injuries.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
04-04-2017, 10:45 AM
Gus Poyet's Brighton side

Thread asks for underrated and rarely mentioned. This team has widely been acknowledged as the best passing team in history

tasty_snacks
04-04-2017, 11:07 AM
What about the Parma side of the mid-late 1990s?

Thuram and Cannavaro at centre for Pete's sake!?!?! Probably the best two CBs of that generation.

Plus Gianfranco Zola, Hernan Crespo, Faustino Asprilla (remember him?), Dino Baggio, Stoichkov, Juan Sebastain Veron......

Bipe
04-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Tomas Brolin??

cranesparkeagle
04-04-2017, 12:23 PM
Reckon the title winning team in 80-81 only used 13 or 14 players in the League. That's one lucky run with injuries.

Good side. Sadly something got its revenge on Gary Shaw, a fine striker, shortly thereafter. Got a serious injury and never really recovered

cranesparkeagle
04-04-2017, 12:26 PM
The Fiorentina side with Lombardo in his prime didnt win anything but were very entertaining

jackstacks
04-04-2017, 12:41 PM
QPR 1975/76 - finished second in the old First Division.

The brilliant Stan Bowles as well as Don Givens, Dave Thomas, Don Masson, Gerry Francis, John Hollins, Phil Parkes and Frank McLintock.

Enjoyed watching them on the "Big Match" in particular.

The Norwoodsman
04-04-2017, 12:48 PM
The Norwich team from the early 90s that beat Bayern Munich with Jeremy Goss, Chris Sutton and Ruel Fox and others doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet. I remember Jeremy Goss scoring a couple of ridiculous volleys in that main stand out season.

That team can't have cost a great deal to put together.

cpfc4evandeva
04-04-2017, 01:01 PM
Leeds at the turn of the century were very good. Unfortunately for them, their chairman was a proper spanner.

Paxton
04-04-2017, 04:15 PM
As featured in the programme for our last visit to Upton Park.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/beyond-the-last-man/2015/sep/07/dinamo-tbilisi-liverpool-west-ham

Paxton
04-04-2017, 04:20 PM
http://dundeefc.co.uk/club/history/our-triumphs/196162-scottish-league-champions/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS8eMuYFu4c

Elephant with mouse gyp
04-04-2017, 04:26 PM
Red Star Belgrade and their march to the 91 European Cup Final (shame about the final itself...)

Great article here: https://sports.vice.com/en_uk/article/the-team-dismantled-by-war-red-star-belgrades-final-european-triumph

I particularly liked Walter Smith's report back to Souness following his trip to watch them in advance of Rangers second round tie: "We're ****ed"

As a teenager at the time the joy of discovering them with no preconceived idea (no FIFA ratings, no YouTube clicks, very limited TV coverage) still stays with me.

The break up that team due to the war in Yugoslavia meant we'll never know what they could have achieved.

Following on from that, the Rangers side from a few years later with Brian Laudrup and Gazza was a good watch. Not exactly underrated by half of Glasgow, but not given enough credit down here.

Also not underrated at the time, but in the nearly men/rarely mentioned by neutrals today category are the West Ham side with Cottee, MacAvennie and Devonshire that finished 3rd in the 80s and from the same era, Pleat's Tottenham side with Hoddle, Waddle, Claesen and Allen. Hoddle remains the best player I've ever seen live, apart from Wilf obviously.

stevek
04-04-2017, 04:40 PM
Villa in the 89/90 season were great. Finished second to a very good Liverpool team.

David Platt was the best player in the league along with John Barnes. Tony Daley on the wing. Gordon Cowans pulling the strings in midfield. One of the most underrated players of his time.

Yeah, but they couldn't beat bloody Oldham at home, could they? :veryangry [edit, that was of course three years later, but a similar team that also came second]

Sheffield Wednesday of the early 90s under Trevor Francis - third in the league and (the following season) the final of both cups. David Hirst and our own Mark Bright banging in the goals; Kevin Pressman in goal; Carlton Palmer in central midfield.

Raggy
04-04-2017, 04:42 PM
Tomas Brolin??

Sure, he was big lad and probably filled a team coach single handedly, but technically he wasn't actually a team.

Raggy
04-04-2017, 04:44 PM
Columbia - late 80's and early 90s. Carlos Valderama pulling the strings in midfield. Nutcase negrita in goal.
I have watched a lot of football over the years, but I still believe they were the finest team I ever saw in the flesh.

Raggy
04-04-2017, 04:45 PM
Aston Villa 80-81, 81-82

Probably the most discussed team ever if you live in Brum.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
04-04-2017, 05:05 PM
Probably the most discussed team ever if you live in Brum.

In comparison to other title winning teams, they don't get mentioned much - even in comparison to similar sides like Forest. That's the difference between Ron Saunders and Brian Clough I guess!

Bit like the Howard Kendall Everton side spearheaded by Lineker and Gray. Buried under the Liverpool and Man Utd then Arsenal and Chelsea wankfest

Bipe
04-04-2017, 06:15 PM
How about the Dundee United team of the early-mid 80s? Paul Sturrock, Davie Dodds, David Narey etc. Won the Scottish league and lost a number of cup finals. Got to the semi-finals of the European Cup and the final of the UEFA cup.

Selhurst Celtic
04-04-2017, 07:01 PM
Columbia - late 80's and early 90s. Carlos Valderama pulling the strings in midfield. Nutcase negrita in goal.
I have watched a lot of football over the years, but I still believe they were the finest team I ever saw in the flesh.

Valderama was such a quality player. People seemed distracted by his admittedly wonderful barnet, but he was such a clever passer & rarely gave away possession.

AddoWolz
04-04-2017, 07:03 PM
Deportivo la Coruna 1999-02 won the Spanish league and cup with the likes of Roy Mackaay , Diego Tristan and Mauro Silva in the team .

stevedb55
04-04-2017, 07:28 PM
There are a few teams that i could recall that provided me with memories on the world stage, but for me the most enjoyable experience was seeing the development of our very own "Team of the Eighties". There was so much young outstanding talent coming through at a club like little old Palace, that if it had been at a club with greater tradition and the finances to further develop, they would have made the Whole Country stand up and take notice, and got far more recognition than they got. Looking back there must have been 6/7 players of true outstanding ability, complemented with another 2/3 of very decent quality and coached by possibly the most innovative coach of youngsters in Europe, the superbly talented Johnny Cartwright, with total support from just as much of an innovative manager in Big Mal.
Yes there was some great teams that we can all recall, but for me nothing compares to when seeing an outstanding team develop in Your own backyard.

Agreed - those were fantastic days, we had steel at the back with Cannon and Gilbert, and a lot of flair. Great memories of stuffing Ipswich 4-1 to go top of division 1. Holmesdale terrace was a lot of fun in those days, with the surges down the middle.

Mr Mojo Risin
04-04-2017, 07:30 PM

Had Yugoslavia stayed together their football team would have been a very strong force in the 1990s. As shown by Croatia in the late 90s who I think were very underrated. They managed third at the 1998 World Cup with Boban, Suker, Boksic and Prosinecki in the team. An interesting fact is that Prosinecki is the only player to score in the World Cup for two different nations - Yugoslavia in 1990 and Croatia in 1998.

ElwissAtMemphis
04-04-2017, 08:20 PM
David Pleat's Spurs team that beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup 4th Round on the way to losing the final against Coventry in 1987. Richard Gough & Gary Mabbutt in central defence. Steve Hodge, Chris Waddle & Glenn Hoddle in midfield. Clive Allen & Nico Claesen up front.

I'm not usually inclined to buy into the 'glory glory' hype that Spurs fans like to propagate but you have to grudgingly accept that that was a decent team. Ardiles was still in the squad too but didn't play that afternoon but we still had our arses comprehensively whooped. Their League Cup semi final with Arsenal was an epic back in the day when ties like that still mattered.

Nostrils
04-04-2017, 08:20 PM
Jossy's Giants.

LSEagle
04-04-2017, 08:50 PM
The Blackburn side that won the league in 94/95. I remember Hendry being an absolute rock for them, and Shearer was just ridiculous that season (doesn't stop him being a woeful pundit though).

KentExpress
04-04-2017, 09:14 PM
The often forgotten great Anderlecht side in the mid 70's early 80's. Five European winners trophies during those great days.

East-End Eagle
04-04-2017, 09:46 PM
Romania in the mid 90's were a very good side. Hagi, popescu, dumitrescu etc

East-End Eagle
04-04-2017, 09:47 PM
Romania in the mid 90's were a very good side. Hagi, popescu, dumitrescu etc

Had just started uni for the 1994 World Cup, and of course no England, I told everyone my mum was Romanian so was supporting them.

FORZA SELHURST
04-04-2017, 09:48 PM
The Fiorentina side with Lombardo in his prime didnt win anything but were very entertaining

Sampdoria. Batistuta was great for the viola however.

west country boy
04-04-2017, 10:23 PM
...the viola...Sickening. I bet you had a bit of a fiddle when posting and everything.

pedders
04-04-2017, 10:43 PM
Not to mention beating Barcelona home and away :)

pedders
04-04-2017, 10:45 PM
How about the Dundee United team of the early-mid 80s? Paul Sturrock, Davie Dodds, David Narey etc. Won the Scottish league and lost a number of cup finals. Got to the semi-finals of the European Cup and the final of the UEFA cup.
Not to mention beating Barcelona home and away

Woking Eagle
05-04-2017, 09:00 AM
Had Yugoslavia stayed together their football team would have been a very strong force in the 1990s. As shown by Croatia in the late 90s who I think were very underrated. They managed third at the 1998 World Cup with Boban, Suker, Boksic and Prosinecki in the team. An interesting fact is that Prosinecki is the only player to score in the World Cup for two different nations - Yugoslavia in 1990 and Croatia in 1998.

That Red Star and Yugoslav teams of the late 80's and early 90's will always be listed among my favorite teams. I was 12 going on 13 at the time, and I think they along with the likes of the Marseille team of the same period have informed how I think about football to this day.

I would also like to mention Napoli from the Maradona period where they won several titles, including the UEFA Cup. Being from the south in Italy, and not part of the big glamour clubs of the north means that they are often overlooked.

Also the Dinamo Kiev team of the 80's that formed the bulk of the USSR team of the 86 would cup, and the 88 Euro champs. Fine Lobanovsky teams.

Brett
05-04-2017, 05:51 PM
Red Star late 80's and early 90's has been mentioned a few teams but from my recollection they were quite a boring team. That final against Marseilles was a dreadful match.

I'd have been interested to see how they would have developed throughout the 90's when 3 points for a win was established worldwide, which brought a gradual move back towards scoring goals.

The breakup of the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia really handed football on a plate to western Europe (though I accept that's the least of the concerns :D ).

Sam Spade
05-04-2017, 05:57 PM
..the season Clive Allen scored 187 goals in 42 games,

Wasn't 79/80 was it?:veryangry

Tom's Old Man
05-04-2017, 06:07 PM
Keegan's Newcastle. Brilliant to watch, shame they blew the title to the wankers after playing such entertaining football that year.

the drexciyan
05-04-2017, 06:23 PM
Err Palace 1990/91

Apart from that Dynamo Tblisi in the 80s when they whacked West Ham 5-0 or something like that were an awesome footballing force to watch.

the drexciyan
05-04-2017, 06:24 PM
And of course Belgium 1986 WC vintage were pretty tidy too.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
05-04-2017, 08:45 PM
Wasn't 79/80 was it?:veryangry

No it was the year spurs played Coventry in the FA Cup final. I think his final tally for the season was about 50

Woking Eagle
06-04-2017, 11:00 AM
And of course Belgium 1986 WC vintage were pretty tidy too.

As were Denmark. Another cracking team from that tournament.

Kylie_Tracey
06-04-2017, 12:00 PM
The Norwich team from the early 90s that beat Bayern Munich with Jeremy Goss, Chris Sutton and Ruel Fox and others doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet. I remember Jeremy Goss scoring a couple of ridiculous volleys in that main stand out season.

That team can't have cost a great deal to put together.

Loved that team , Ian Crook pulled the strings in midfield, hugely underrated player

cpfc4evandeva
06-04-2017, 01:07 PM
Croatia from 95-98 were very good. In fact, had Yugoslavia not been split up in the early nineties, we might have seen a United team win something like Euro 96 or World Cup 98.

CP-RJW
06-04-2017, 03:07 PM
Croatia from 95-98 were very good. In fact, had Yugoslavia not been split up in the early nineties, we might have seen a United team win something like Euro 96 or World Cup 98.
Even nowadays Yugoslavia would be a class team, midfield of Rakitic, Modric and Pjanic :eek: http://www.givemesport.com/468054-how-would-a-yugoslavia-national-team-look-today

Vince Hilaire's Afro
06-04-2017, 06:14 PM
As were Denmark. Another cracking team from that tournament.

I totally forget what it's called, but there is an excellent drama depicting the way that Denmark Euro winning team came together. I saw it on Netflix

ExiledStirling
06-04-2017, 06:28 PM
The Man City team of late 60s/early 70s. Colin Bell was my favourite non Palace player.

Other than Bell, they had Francis Lee, Mike Doyle, Joe Corrigan, Mick Summerbee, Tony Book and Neil Young.

Great side.

CP-RJW
06-04-2017, 06:43 PM
I totally forget what it's called, but there is an excellent drama depicting the way that Denmark Euro winning team came together. I saw it on Netflix
Think you may be talking about Sommeren '92.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
06-04-2017, 06:44 PM
Think you may be talking about Sommeren '92.

Correct!

CP-RJW
06-04-2017, 06:46 PM
Class film.

Kylie_Tracey
06-04-2017, 07:05 PM
The Man City team of late 60s/early 70s. Colin Bell was my favourite non Palace player.

Other than Bell, they had Francis Lee, Mike Doyle, Joe Corrigan, Mick Summerbee, Tony Book and Neil Young.

Great side.

Great old school team , like listening to Rodney Marsh talk about his time there , he hated Mike Doyle !

big bad John
06-04-2017, 07:25 PM
Stoke City had a very decent and entertaining side at the beginning of the 70's. Banks, Greenhoff,Conroy, Eastham, Dobing and big John Ritchie were just some of the names that got them to two semi-finals that they were unlucky to lose on both occasions to Arsenal and also they reached the League Cup final(when it meant something) and beat hot favourites Chelsea.

leicester1
06-04-2017, 07:33 PM
Bristol Rovers from way back....seem to recall they had a couple of lethal strikers nicknamed ''Smash and Grab''......Bannister was the surname of one of them....

norwoodeagle
06-04-2017, 07:57 PM
Bristol Rovers from way back....seem to recall they had a couple of lethal strikers nicknamed ''Smash and Grab''......Bannister was the surname of one of them....

Warboys and Bannister. I saw them against Aldershot, they both scored I think.

Skin Up
07-04-2017, 12:54 AM
I always liked the post Clough Forest side that went up with us in 93/94. They managed to get Pearce to stay as well as a few others from the Clough days, they signed Collymore, Lars Bohinen, Colin Cooper, Brian Roy and a load of decent squad players. They had a more fruitful follow up to promotion than us finishing 3rd and getting to the UEFA cup quarters the year after. Then Frank Clarke the manager left, Collymore was sold and many of the rest retired or were over the hill and it all fell apart for them but for those 2-3 years they were a really entertaining side to watch.

bestperch
07-04-2017, 08:05 AM

They scored 7 of the 8 Bristol Rovers goals at the gallstone in 1973.:lux:

leicester1
07-04-2017, 04:43 PM
Warboys and Bannister ;) ...cracking pair of strikers....we had Jimmy Melrose and Alan Young and I never knew until I became friendly with Youngy that the pair never got on......Alan Smith and Gary Lineker were another decent couple of goalscoring forwards in the early 80's,Arsenal were kind enough to loan Smithy back to us for half a season after signing him from us......does that still happen in this day and age of greed and whatnot?

old geezer
07-04-2017, 04:57 PM
Huddersfield Town 1970's, Frank Worthington, Geoff Hutt, Jimmy Nicholson, Trevor Cherry, Roy Ellam et al

Yes I lived there then and watched most of their home games
They were very inconsistent
Worthington could be brilliant or very lazy
Remember him hitting the bar at Burnley away from the half way line with a stinging shot. As he had very long hair we always called him 'bloody Avril'

leicester1
07-04-2017, 05:08 PM
Frank Worthington....what a player for us,i just caught the back end of his Leicester career....apparently Don Revie wasn't keen on him,nor was Revie keen on Malcom Macdonald......could that have been a successful partnership for England.....sadly Franks been diagnosed with Alzheimers a while back.

bestperch
07-04-2017, 07:55 PM
Frank Worthington looked like he had a good time on the football field and an even better one off it. Totally different times when everything in life wasn't so serious !

Jim Cannon
07-04-2017, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=leicester1;13565164Alan Smith and Gary Lineker were another decent couple of goalscoring forwards in the early 80's,Arsenal were kind enough to loan Smithy back to us for half a season after signing him from us......does that still happen in this day and age of greed and whatnot?[/QUOTE]

You had a fella called Bright who couldn't get a game around that time, he got shipped out on the cheap:D

old git
07-04-2017, 08:45 PM
West Brom in the seventies with Cyril Regis and Laurie Cunningham were good.:p

cantspell
07-04-2017, 09:16 PM

The brilliant Stan Bowles as well as Don Givens, Dave Thomas, Don Masson, Gerry Francis, John Hollins, Phil Parkes and Frank McLintock.

This was going to be my nomination

norwoodeagle
07-04-2017, 09:32 PM

In those days I was at college, lived in Hammersmith and followed Rangers.
Some great performances from the team. That second place was a fantastic result.

Scotland's No9
19-04-2017, 12:26 PM

Recognition for them in the Guardian today:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/19/the-forgotten-story-of-dundee-united-glory-years-under-jim-mclean

Bipe
19-04-2017, 01:25 PM
Great read. Jim McLean was a genius and a massive arsehole. I loved their Adidas kit back then.

RazorsEdge
19-04-2017, 06:08 PM
Moving across to Spain, both Valencia and Deportivo had great teams around the turn of the millennium and managed to infiltrate the Madrid-Barcelona duopoly for a few seasons.

Valencia got to two champions league finals, sadly losing them both, with Mendieta and Aimar pulling the strings. Deportivo won the Spanish league and threw away a great chance to win the champions league in 2004 when they lost to Porto in the semi finals. Their 4-0 hammering of what was then still a great Milan side after losing the first leg 4-1 was one of the most exciting games I have ever watched. They had Valeron as their playmaker and some other top players such as rumoured Palace target Kily Gonzalez

Oh yes I remember that, that Valencia team was good with a lot of players from Argentina

Joe85
19-04-2017, 06:16 PM
Oh yes I remember that, that Valencia team was good with a lot of players from Argentina

These posts prompted me to do a wiki search of players from back in the day.

Stumbling across Joaquin, the former Valencia and Spain winger, i have now discovered that he was breastfed until the age of 7.

Interesting.

Sick Bucket
19-04-2017, 06:23 PM
I've spent a lot of time over the years in La Coruna and that team that won the league was special, it was a Spanish Leicester story.

El Aguila
19-04-2017, 06:52 PM
I was watching Neil Young at Riazor one night - turned round to find Bebeto and Fran were beside me.

exiledeagle
19-04-2017, 09:04 PM
Remember Burnley having a great team to watch ( Kindon Thomas , James ) QPR with Bowles Marsh Thomas Parkes and Stoke with Greenhoff Hudson Shilton ?

exiledeagle
19-04-2017, 09:06 PM
Remember Burnley having a great team to watch ( Kindon Thomas , James ) QPR with Bowles Marsh Thomas Parkes and Stoke with Greenhoff Hudson Shilton ?

Oh and Coventry Ferguson Wallace Hutchison Blyth

Billy Rhino
19-04-2017, 10:55 PM
Portsmouth's golden oldies in 87 were pretty good. Remember Noel Blake was one scary looking bloke.

norwoodboy
28-04-2017, 06:48 AM
That Stoke team of the early mid 70s were something special.