PDA

View Full Version : Selhurst Park Floodlights - top three

James
13-04-2017, 02:46 PM
I know we have discussed Palace games under floodlights before, but this is a slightly different challenge. Rate your three best floodlit games (out of 10)
in the following categories: Importance; Atmosphere; Quality of Opposition.

Obviously there is some correlation (especially between Importance and Atmosphere) - but try and be as objective as possible.

My top three:

1. Palace v Burnley - May 11, 1979 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoHERgb4BOk)

Palace played the final game of the Season against Burnley, in front of a record crowd of 51,482 (with thousands of fans locked outside).

Atmosphere: 10 (nearly 52,000 fans, mostly standing - insane atmosphere, never to be repeated)
Importance: 9 (win meant the top of the league; draw meant promotion in second place, loss would have meant staying down)
Quality of Opposition: 2 (Burnley were already relegated and had nothing to play for)

Total: 21

2. Palace v Liverpool (Crystanbul) - May 5, 2014 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnpcQFgvm8o)

Palace were already safe, but Liverpool were fighting to win the title. At 0-3 it looked as if we might be facing a cricket score ...

Atmosphere: 9 (best I can remember since all seating - especially during those last 10 minutes or so)
Importance: 2 (the game was largely irrelevant to Palace - playing for pride and a few million quid in place money only)
Quality of Opposition: 9 (Liverpool were title contenders for much of the Season)

Total: 20

2. Palace v Arsenal - April 10 2017 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wMd7M5GwDM)

The last time Palace beat Arsenal was in 1979. Points were desperately needed by both sides, at the opposite ends of the table:

Atmosphere: 7 (fantastic throughout, but since the win was far easier than was expected, not quite the best ever)
Importance: 6 (vital points - but this was a 'free hit' - Palace have other winnable games to come).
Quality of Opposition: 6 (we have to be honest, Arsenal were not much cop - although credit must be given to Palace for making them look so poor).

Total: 19

EagleSE24
13-04-2017, 02:50 PM
I would have Palace 3 - Sunderland 2 (2004 in mine). Will have a think about scores.

ElwissAtMemphis
13-04-2017, 02:57 PM
My favourite, because it was my first, was the FA Cup 3rd Round replay v Liverpool in 1977. I normally wasn't allowed up that late but an exception was made because it was such a big game. It was truly awesome seeing the pitch illuminated like that for the first time when you're that young. And when Paul Hinshelwood hit the top corner to put us 1-0 up, it felt like a life-changing moment that I've continued to pay for for the last 40 years.

As a schoolboy who'd only ever watched Palace in the 3rd Division, it was probably the first time I'd seen an opposition team had more than 1 or 2 players I'd ever heard of let alone internationals at the top of their game; Kevin Keegan, Phil Neal, Ray Clemence, Emlyn Hughes, Phil Thompson etc Amazing we managed to hold them at Anfield.

Chris Finch
13-04-2017, 03:03 PM
I would have Palace 3 - Sunderland 2 (2004 in mine). Will have a think about scores.

Palace Sunderland 2004
Crystanbul 2014
Palace Arsenal 2017

Bipe
14-04-2017, 06:31 AM
I've always had fond memories of the Swindon play off second leg in 1989. I certainly never believed Ron Noades' official attendance of c.20,000 because the Holmesdale was absolutely jam packed. It was quite a balmy evening and there was just a sense in the air that we had a team whose time had come. Wright and Bright did the job to turn around the first leg deficit.

So based on James scoring system:

Importance 9
Atmosphere 8
Quality of opposition 5

Total 22

Olympian2
14-04-2017, 06:51 AM
I've always had fond memories of the Swindon play off second leg in 1989. I certainly never believed Ron Noades' official attendance of c.20,000 because the Holmesdale was absolutely jam packed. It was quite a balmy evening and there was just a sense in the air that we had a team whose time had come.

Absolutely spot on. That was a marvellous evening.

Louis
14-04-2017, 07:46 AM
From the slightly misleading title, I thought this was going to be a thread comparing floodlights of different grounds. In the 1970s the old free standing floodlights were pretty impressive as I remember.

sunshine lucas
14-04-2017, 08:18 AM
A few other faves
What about the Chelsea Cup game in the torrential rain...Grant Watts :lux:
Super Kevin Phillips hat trick v Hull

fioreuk
14-04-2017, 08:27 AM
I've always had fond memories of the Swindon play off second leg in 1989. I certainly never believed Ron Noades' official attendance of c.20,000 because the Holmesdale was absolutely jam packed. It was quite a balmy evening and there was just a sense in the air that we had a team whose time had come. Wright and Bright did the job to turn around the first leg deficit.

Importance 9
Atmosphere 8
Quality of opposition 5

Total 22

Yep, definitely right up there for me too that evening. Great atmosphere and win. Arfur was bedlam.

Owngoal
14-04-2017, 08:32 AM
James has nailed it

SeanPalace84
14-04-2017, 08:38 AM

Incredible night!

Palace Bear
14-04-2017, 08:44 AM
Danny Butterfield.

Tom's Old Man
14-04-2017, 11:12 AM
Palace v Burnley 1979, Palace v Burnley 1983, Palace v Swindon 1989.

old git
14-04-2017, 12:41 PM
Burnley 1979,Swindon 1989 ,Arsenal 2017. Liverpool was great but apart from the last fifteen minutes it had little going for it.

big bad John
14-04-2017, 05:15 PM
1. Palace v Man City 1970.
Importance: 10 We had to win to stay up. We won 1-0 but still had to wait a week to know our fate.

Atmosphere: 10 When Jacko saved a pen from Lee Selhurst erupted like never before. The chant of Jackson for England could be heard in Norbury.

Qual of OPP: 8 Lee, Summerbee, Bell. Enough said.

Palace v Burnley 1979. IMPORTANCE 10. We needed to get back to where we belong.Funny but in my mind I never think of this game as a floodlit match. Seems like so much of it was played in the early summer light.

ATMOSPHERE 8. Until we scored I thought the atmosphere was very tense.

QUAL OF OPP 4. Burnley were already relegated and despite being urged on by about three Clarets and seven Sunderland fans they didn't seem like they were intent on spoiling a good party.

Palace v Sunderland 2004.

IMPORTANCE 8. Not as important as the other two in so much as we could have lost and still achieved - although highly unlikely- our goal.

ATMOSPHERE 9. Was surprized how good it was that night from all sides of the ground.

QUALITY OF OPP 8. A very decent Sunderland side who wanted it as much as we did.

November85
14-04-2017, 06:01 PM
Burnley 79 was before my time, but Swindon 89 has to be the best for me.

dowieslovechild
14-04-2017, 06:02 PM
Palace 8, Southend 0, Rumbelows Cup
https://youtu.be/BckCm_ImDTs

sherstonpalace
14-04-2017, 06:09 PM
Palace 8, Southend 0, Rumbelows Cup
https://youtu.be/BckCm_ImDTs

I seem to remember their manager (David Webb I think) saying they'd turn the lights off for the return leg.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
14-04-2017, 06:44 PM
Swindon playoff!

Dorking .Eagle
14-04-2017, 06:51 PM
Swindon Playoff
Was very full in the AW Enclosure, but looking over to the Holmesdale was a crazy sight - Palace fans were squished into one compound of the Holmesdale, while Swindon had two of them, and you could visibly see how densely packed the Palace bit was!
Amazing sense of hysteria in pushing the team to overcome the first leg deficit.
Awesome night!

SJ'sLoveMonkey
14-04-2017, 07:01 PM
Burnley 1979 (I've still got Steve Kembers shirt from that game)

Swindon 1989

Arsenal 2017

Big Gav
14-04-2017, 07:05 PM
My favourite, because it was my first, was the FA Cup 3rd Round replay v Liverpool in 1977. I normally wasn't allowed up that late but an exception was made because it was such a big game. It was truly awesome seeing the pitch illuminated like that for the first time when you're that young. And when Paul Hinshelwood hit the top corner to put us 1-0 up, it felt like a life-changing moment that I've continued to pay for for the last 40 years.

As a schoolboy who'd only ever watched Palace in the 3rd Division, it was probably the first time I'd seen an opposition team had more than 1 or 2 players I'd ever heard of let alone internationals at the top of their game; Kevin Keegan, Phil Neal, Ray Clemence, Emlyn Hughes, Phil Thompson etc Amazing we managed to hold them at Anfield.

Spot on and exactly how I see it. This was the first game that really gave me the Palace bug, I had been a few matches before but this was the match that made me Palace well and truly for life

Sick Bucket
14-04-2017, 07:08 PM

Importance 9
Atmosphere 8
Quality of opposition 5

Total 22

Yeah I went to that and I think it's the most nervous I've ever been for Palace.

Sick Bucket
14-04-2017, 07:09 PM
Edit. Just remembered Stockport that was worse.

modernsouler
14-04-2017, 10:23 PM
Everton 1977 (FA Youth Cup Final)

Norwich 1991 (Full Members Cup semi-final)

Vince Hilaire's Afro
14-04-2017, 10:27 PM
The thing about that Swindon game that I remember was not just the atmosphere in the stadium, but the whole area of SE25 was buzzing. I walked to the game from Croydon via various pubs. It was a bit balmy evening, everyone's car windows were open - you just knew it was going to be a special night

M3 Eagle
14-04-2017, 11:37 PM
I'd add the game against Chelsea where Wrighty chipped over Bessant plus the match when Salako went in goal v Wimbledon and the play off v the clowns as other great nights. Monday was certainly up there as one of the best.

Dorking .Eagle
15-04-2017, 07:59 AM
The thing about that Swindon game that I remember was not just the atmosphere in the stadium, but the whole area of SE25 was buzzing. I walked to the game from Croydon via various pubs. It was a bit balmy evening, everyone's car windows were open - you just knew it was going to be a special night

Agree, the place was swarming with Palace and you knew it would be an electric night. Palace had had several years of near misses getting into the play offs, and it was like we knew just how good Wright and Bright were, a go up now or possibly lose them moment. There was no margin for error

Percy Dalton
28-04-2017, 11:32 PM
Palace v Leeds utd league cup November 1968 2-1

Palace v Millwall 1969 FL Div 2 March 1969 4-2

Palace v Sunderland August 1969 FL Div 1 2-0 our first ever top flight win

Hedgehog
29-04-2017, 12:24 AM
Now days don't you all just get blinded by the lights?

gold76
29-04-2017, 06:56 AM
An obscure gem, Oxford 1-0 84/85 Aylott winner against all powerful team at the time who had dicked us 0-5 at their place.

Liverpool cup game 92/93 Andy Thorn header

I also went to a crazy Wimbledon vs Villa cup game, rather random, ended up 8-7 on penalties

Se9 eagles
29-04-2017, 07:24 AM
Swindon Playoff
Was very full in the AW Enclosure, but looking over to the Holmesdale was a crazy sight - Palace fans were squished into one compound of the Holmesdale, while Swindon had two of them, and you could visibly see how densely packed the Palace bit was!
Amazing sense of hysteria in pushing the team to overcome the first leg deficit.
Awesome night!

What added to the atmosphere was that it was a very hot and humid night.Unusual for May.

Se9 eagles
29-04-2017, 07:30 AM
3-2 win over Southampton in 82 or 83.Mike Flanagan hat-trick.was in the Arthur Waite enclosure and it was totally mental when we scored.Back in the day when lads used to stand in there pub groups.Always made sure not to be near the Wilton!

art malice
29-04-2017, 07:32 AM
3-2 win over Southampton in 82 or 83.Mike Flanagan hat-trick.was in the Arthur Waite enclosure and it was totally mental when we scored.Back in the day when lads used to stand in there pub groups.Always made sure not to be near the Wilton!

That was 1980. My first ever match

N Herts Eagle
29-04-2017, 07:38 AM

Palace v Millwall 1969 FL Div 2 March 1969 4-3

Palace v Sunderland August 1969 FL Div 1 2-0 our first ever top flight win Not a game I went too but the two I was surprised are missing from your list is the 1965 F A Cup game against Forest 3-1. I remember listening on the radio great night.
The other is the Real Madrid game.

N Herts Eagle
29-04-2017, 07:40 AM
Everton 1977 (FA Youth Cup Final)

Norwich 1991 (Full Members Cup semi-final) Norwich the night Super Al put on Salakos boots....well something had to explain his performance that night he looked world class

Levski
29-04-2017, 07:41 AM
I remember the 2-1 win over Liverpool in League Cup as an amazing atmosphere in the Holmesdale. It was a great game with two superb strikes by Rubins and Morrison. Shame about the 2nd leg...

NRM the 2nd
29-04-2017, 07:47 AM
Palace 3 2 sunderland. Friday night, play off on the back of an great run to get into play offs. The atmosphere was the best I've known.

Palace 3 3 liverpool. It just has to be there.

Palace 2 0 forest 93/94. My first night game and first win as a palace fan.

Mr Bo Jangles
29-04-2017, 07:55 AM
Sunderland play off 3-2 still the best I've known in 50 years. Incredible game, unbelievable atmosphere.

Garfy
29-04-2017, 08:02 AM
Norwich the night Super Al put on Salakos boots....well something had to explain his performance that night he looked world class

Mentioning Salako I would include the game he went in goal along with Burnley in 1979 and Crystanbul.

Whoru
29-04-2017, 08:22 AM
Liverpool at home, 2-1 Andreas Rubins. (Lc)
Watford 3-2. Garvan crackers (champ).

Percy Dalton
29-04-2017, 08:56 AM
Not a game I went too but the two I was surprised are missing from your list is the 1965 F A Cup game against Forest 3-1. I remember listening on the radio great night.
The other is the Real Madrid game.

Was at both yes indeed great nights. Problem is for us "mature" supporters with so many games under our belts choosing great matches and players just gets harder.

Another fantastic under the lights game was the last home game 69/70 v Man City we just simply had to win, the atmosphere was electric and you just know the crowd pushed us to that crucial 1-0 victory.

N Herts Eagle
29-04-2017, 09:09 AM
Was at both yes indeed great nights. Problem is for us "mature" supporters with so many games under our belts choosing great matches and players just gets harder.

Another fantastic under the lights game was the last home game 69/70 v Man City we just simply had to win, the atmosphere was electric and you just know the crowd pushed us to that crucial 1-0 victory. On the choosing great matches and players have to agree is harder as you get older. I keep changing my mind on Wilf does he make the all time team and if so who do I drop, Don Rogers or Peter Taylor and then there is Salako on the subs bench. The Man City game has to be up there for what it meant but we were not safe even after the win.
The Real Madrid game I was not at but my Grandfather was and to him it was surreal to think they were playing at Selhurst by far the greatest club side ever to appear on our pitch.

Percy Dalton
29-04-2017, 11:04 AM
On the choosing great matches and players have to agree is harder as you get older. I keep changing my mind on Wilf does he make the all time team and if so who do I drop, Don Rogers or Peter Taylor and then there is Salako on the subs bench. The Man City game has to be up there for what it meant but we were not safe even after the win.
The Real Madrid game I was not at but my Grandfather was and to him it was surreal to think they were playing at Selhurst by far the greatest club side ever to appear on our pitch.

I was just so pleased to see Johnny Byrne back, he was and always will be my Palace hero. I still have a copy of the Evening news from that evening previewing the game.

As for best 11, given up now its too hard so stick to each decade. If pushed would put Rogers, Taylor and Johnny Salad ahead of him at present, they scored more goals than Wilf has so far. However I still think we should play him down the middle he showed against Brighton in the semi final play off 2nd leg, that he has a poachers instinct. He would cause chaos running at central defenders down the middle.

El Aguila
29-04-2017, 11:21 AM
He's objectively better than Taylor or Salad. He's played at the highest level for longer. He makes our all time team for sure.

DARZET EAGLE
29-04-2017, 11:34 AM
I was just so pleased to see Johnny Byrne back, he was and always will be my Palace hero. I still have a copy of the Evening news from that evening previewing the game.

As for best 11, given up now its too hard so stick to each decade. If pushed would put Rogers, Taylor and Johnny Salad ahead of him at present, they scored more goals than Wilf has so far. However I still think we should play him down the middle he showed against Brighton in the semi final play off 2nd leg, that he has a poachers instinct. He would cause chaos running at central defenders down the middle.

I was there too, to witness little old Palace play the best club side in the world. It was an unforgetable memory. I agree about Johnny Byrne, he didn't look out of place playing against the Spanish superstars. Terry Longs goal was outstand:love:ing, a real belter.

Ardent Eagle Forever
29-04-2017, 12:12 PM
I know we have discussed Palace games under floodlights before, but this is a slightly different challenge. Rate your three best floodlit games (out of 10)
in the following categories: Importance; Atmosphere; Quality of Opposition.

Obviously there is some correlation (especially between Importance and Atmosphere) - but try and be as objective as possible.

My top three:

1. Palace v Burnley - May 11, 1979 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoHERgb4BOk)

Palace played the final game of the Season against Burnley, in front of a record crowd of 51,482 (with thousands of fans locked outside).

Atmosphere: 10 (nearly 52,000 fans, mostly standing - insane atmosphere, never to be repeated)
Importance: 9 (win meant the top of the league; draw meant promotion in second place, loss would have meant staying down)
Quality of Opposition: 2 (Burnley were already relegated and had nothing to play for)

Total: 21

2. Palace v Liverpool (Crystanbul) - May 5, 2014 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnpcQFgvm8o)

Palace were already safe, but Liverpool were fighting to win the title. At 0-3 it looked as if we might be facing a cricket score ...

Atmosphere: 9 (best I can remember since all seating - especially during those last 10 minutes or so)
Importance: 2 (the game was largely irrelevant to Palace - playing for pride and a few million quid in place money only)
Quality of Opposition: 9 (Liverpool were title contenders for much of the Season)

Total: 20

2. Palace v Arsenal - April 10 2017 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wMd7M5GwDM)

The last time Palace beat Arsenal was in 1979. Points were desperately needed by both sides, at the opposite ends of the table:

Atmosphere: 7 (fantastic throughout, but since the win was far easier than was expected, not quite the best ever)
Importance: 6 (vital points - but this was a 'free hit' - Palace have other winnable games to come).
Quality of Opposition: 6 (we have to be honest, Arsenal were not much cop - although credit must be given to Palace for making them look so poor).

Total: 19

Missed the first of those by 3 days, had to go to Australia with the Army.

The two others were great games as well.

One that does stand out is the Wolves game where Danny Butterfield scored the perfect hattrick in 6 minutes versus Wayne Hennessy.

Another Wolves (I think) night time game where my son predicted that Dougie Freedman would score a hattrick, lo and behold he did. My son was only 5/6 at the time. Think we won 5-0 that night.

Percy Dalton
30-04-2017, 10:21 PM
Both Taylor and Salako suffered from injuries, Salako almost ended his career early as I am sure you will recall. He played for us not counting injury periods for 5 top flight league seasons, plus a couple for Coventry.

No doubt injuries and pray no relegations or transfers Wilf will have a long top flight career with us, but as always with players of different era's it is so difficult to compare.

N Herts Eagle
30-04-2017, 10:39 PM
Both Taylor and Salako suffered from injuries, Salako almost ended his career early as I am sure you will recall. He played for us not counting injury periods for 5 top flight league seasons, plus a couple for Coventry.

No doubt injuries and pray no relegations or transfers Wilf will have a long top flight career with us, but as always with players of different era's it is so difficult to compare. Taylors injury was at Spurs and it could be argued he never appeared in the top flight for us. Yet he makes the all time team for me by being one of the great wingers I just loved watching the guy play, and the Cup run proved to me he was capable of playing in the top flight, the nutmeg on Frank Gray still brings a smile.

KYLIE MINEAGLE
01-05-2017, 04:05 AM

Palace v Millwall 1969 FL Div 2 March 1969 4-3

Palace v Sunderland August 1969 FL Div 1 2-0 our first ever top flight win

Got to be old for them Percy (millwall was 4 - 2 I think).The Leeds game was outstanding .They lost 4 domestic games all season and were the stand out side of the time. can still see Colin Taylors thunderbolt flying in. Would never have thought then we would be well above them ever.

New LP
01-05-2017, 11:31 PM
Arsenal 3-0 this season
Sunderland 3-2 playoffs 2004
Crystanbul

Also mentions for Chelsea 3-1 league cup 1992 and that crazy game against Wimbledon when John Salako went in goal.

Percy Dalton
02-05-2017, 03:13 PM
Got to be old for them Percy (millwall was 4 - 2 I think).The Leeds game was outstanding .They lost 4 domestic games all season and were the stand out side of the time. can still see Colin Taylors thunderbolt flying in. Would never have thought then we would be well above them ever.

Yes Colin Taylor's goal was special in the Leeds game. He scored a similar one in the Millwall game as well which in fact was 4-2. We were 3-0 at half time and straight from the restart Bobby Woodruff hit the bar with a great shot, this seemed to wake Millwall up who hit us with two quick goals and we were hanging on until we got a 4th and Selhurst erupted not just noise but fighting on the terraces under the iron work of the in construction Arthur Wait stand.

Percy Dalton
02-05-2017, 03:18 PM
Taylors injury was at Spurs and it could be argued he never appeared in the top flight for us. Yet he makes the all time team for me by being one of the great wingers I just loved watching the guy play, and the Cup run proved to me he was capable of playing in the top flight, the nutmeg on Frank Gray still brings a smile.

Yes indeed he left for Spurs before we won the second division championship and picked up his injuries then, but I am sure they were mainly due to the punishment he had received season after season. While Johnny Salad's injury was due to a bad landing, he also took some knocks. Wilf thankfully does not have to face the same sort of tackles on a regular basis Peter Taylor and to a lesser extent John Salako did, although we do still see bad tackles they are not so regular thank goodness

SilentAssassin
02-05-2017, 03:27 PM
One lesser game but an enjoyable one - Palace 4 - 1 Portsmouth with Vaughan's hat-trick, not in my top 3 but definitely up there.

Ruskin Old Boy
02-05-2017, 03:41 PM

This is a great thread and it's still impossible to choose only 3 games under the floodlights. But one of them would probably be the Millwall match in 1969. I was away at University but managed to get to every home game (not too difficult as Sussex isn't so far to travel to SE25).

It was a re-arranged fixture and there were the usual pre-match skirmishes with the old foe but what was different that evening was Millwall not getting their usual foothold on the Holmesdale (though they did light a few fires on the side nearest Park Road) and Palace roaring through the first half, Woodfuff at his best with a brace. The atmosphere was electric, the crowd (over 32000) knew Palace would go from 5th to 2nd with a win and the evening just got better when McCormick scored with a tremendous shot from outside the penalty box.

It finished 4-2 and there was the small matter of getting back to Brighton. The train service was poor in those dim and distant days and it was a stopping train for the return journey. Got back after 1am. But what an evening.

the drexciyan
05-05-2017, 04:17 AM
Agree with all of the above but additionally I went to Palace 3 Cardiff 2 (think that was the score) in 2011. It was a great performance and rocking atmosphere even with only 11k in the stadium. Craig Bellamy was walking off at the end pointing at our supporters and clapping them.

GeeTee
22-05-2017, 03:13 PM
My top three would be close to James' but it's been great to be reminded of a few of the lesser ones.

I'd like to add a couple from the title winning season of 93-94 (v Leicester & v Southend).
Both were crucial to keeping us above the pack and both were against very dangerous opposition.

The Southend game was won by a very late Simon Rodger goal and Selhurst exploded (mainly in relief).

The game versus Leicester was a great atmosphere throughout. I think Paul Stewart was among the scorers that night. If memory serves, we won 2-1.

Chillo
22-05-2017, 05:06 PM
One lesser game but an enjoyable one - Palace 4 - 1 Portsmouth with Vaughan's hat-trick, not in my top 3 but definitely up there.

Apart from the bucketing rain!