PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: John Ruddy

Ron Noakes
21-04-2017, 07:26 PM
Just watching Norwich v Brighton (for reasons unknown), and it occurred to me that John Ruddy may be an option, if Speroni and Mandanda both leave. 30 years old, which isnt ancient for a keeper, plenty of experience, and probably (relatively) cheap as Norwich arent going anywhere, so they won't try too hard to stand in his way.

If we do stay up, the priorities will be keeping Zaha and buying Sakho, so we have to be reasonably financially savvy when bolstering the other areas. Ruddy might be worth considering?

CP-RJW
21-04-2017, 07:32 PM
Just watching Norwich v Brighton (for reasons unknown), and it occurred to me that John Ruddy may be an option, if Speroni and Mandanda both leave. 30 years old, which isnt ancient for a keeper, plenty of experience, and probably (relatively) cheap as Norwich arent going anywhere, so they won't try too hard to stand in his way.

If we do stay up, the priorities will be keeping Zaha and buying Sakho, so we have to be reasonably financially savvy when bolstering the other areas. Ruddy might be worth considering?
Isn't he poor at prem level? If we want a first choice keeper then look elsewhere.

sunshine lucas
21-04-2017, 07:34 PM
What about Stockdale ?:moo2:
...seeing as he seems to have scored 2 ogs already for Norwich...

Latvian Eagle
21-04-2017, 07:34 PM
As a back up maybe. Not as a starter.

CharlieCPFC
21-04-2017, 07:43 PM
Need to be looking much higher, Begovic or Pickford.

AJ's right boot
21-04-2017, 08:01 PM
I'm always weary of hyping up keepers at the bottom of the league. They look great because they are so busy, but still conceade a shit load. Marshall at Cardiff was getting rave reviews when they went down. Ditto Alex Mccarthy at Reading.

Nigelbrag
21-04-2017, 08:27 PM
Fabianski as First choice, Hennessey as Second Choice, and keep Speroni as player/keeper coach.

gjohnk
21-04-2017, 08:34 PM
He's only 30? Shocked

DARZET EAGLE
21-04-2017, 10:06 PM
Ruddy is a decent keeper, but we should be aiming higher. Pickford would be great. He's young, athletic and would get games with us, just what he needs to continue his development. With the bigger clubs he would be on the bench. But for Jack Butland he would be in the England squad, but certainly is one for the future.

BW_Palace
22-04-2017, 07:12 AM
We've already got an average Championship keeper, no need for another.

dannyboy1807
22-04-2017, 07:19 AM
What about Stockdale ?:moo2:
...seeing as he seems to have scored 2 ogs already for Norwich...

He is actually out of contract in the summer him and Dale Stephens their best midfielder

St.Francois
22-04-2017, 07:47 AM
He looked very error prone from what I've seen and prefer Hennessy.

Fabianski looks a more solid premier keeper, but I still have faith in Hennessy to keep improving.

Blofield Eagle
22-04-2017, 07:53 AM
Hot tempered, average championship keeper, NO THANKS!!

Penstone Eagle
22-04-2017, 08:35 AM
Isn't he poor at prem level? If we want a first choice keeper then look elsewhere.

yep

Owngoal
22-04-2017, 08:51 AM
We sign someone who was dropped as first choice in a championship team? Really cannot believe this as a suggestion to improve the team.

Stavros 69
22-04-2017, 09:30 AM
Heno will stay and we'll bring in someone above him.
Jules is fine as third choice.

Owngoal
22-04-2017, 04:13 PM
Heno will stay and we'll bring in someone above him.
Jules is fine as third choice.

Doubt it on first point and Jules being considered fine as third choice gave us no alternative when Steve showed he was not up to it. SP can't do that one again.

thereichstuff
22-04-2017, 04:30 PM
He's no better than what we've got .

meee
22-04-2017, 06:42 PM
If we get rid of Mandanda in the summer and bring in John Ruddy I think I might lose it. It's like getting rid of Benteke and bringing in Alan Lee.

NorthernEagle80
22-04-2017, 07:24 PM
Oh god no. No better than what we have.

aj4england
24-04-2017, 11:38 AM
Darren Randolph or Lee Grant any good? Swansea, Fabianski or Hulls keeper Jakapovic also possible, depends on who goes down

CP-RJW
24-04-2017, 11:46 AM
Darren Randolph or Lee Grant any good? Swansea, Fabianski or Hulls keeper Jakapovic also possible, depends on who goes down
Fabianski is the only good one out of those lot.

SilentAssassin
24-04-2017, 11:51 AM
Need to be looking much higher, Begovic or Pickford.

I don't get the hype surrounding Pickford at all. Maybe I'm missing something but he's only kept 3 clean sheets this season, let in 45 goals and his side are bottom of the league.

Latvian Eagle
24-04-2017, 01:32 PM
Pickford is good just his defence are shit.

I would take Fabianski as a starter or Pickford. Would consider Marshall from Hull as a back up if we were looking from just the relegated teams.

I reckon Wayne will stay now so we will likely be looking at two keepers who I would go for Begovic as starter (We wanted him last summer but Chelsea wanted 12m and Mandanda was a free), with Fabianski the back up option. Pickford I reckon will be picked up by an Everton or Arsenal.

Then Marshall to compete with Hennessey for the back up spot.

Kai
24-04-2017, 08:19 PM
Always looked very average to me

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
25-04-2017, 12:12 AM
I've been thinking Fabianski might be a decent option but who knows what will happen with keepers this summer? Allardyce maybe? All 3 of our current lot could be gone.

But to be honest I wouldn't mind too much if we started the season with Hennessey as our number 1 again. Yes, he has his flaws but we don't have unlimited funds. It's clear we want to sign Sakho - who would be very expensive and if we can't get him then we'll probably look for another CB anyway. We undoubtedly need 1, probably 2 strikers. At the very least we need competition at RB and probably at least 1, maybe 2 CMs to replace Ledley and Flamini.

You don't get much in any position for less than 10m these days, so if we decide to stick with Wayne and get a cheapish understudy to replace Mandanda, I wouldn't be too upset.

Kirby
25-04-2017, 08:09 AM
For the love of God no. He is terrible.

Justy C
02-05-2017, 12:35 PM
Ruddy being released by Norwich. As a no.2 keeper I think he would be worth considering especially on a free.

carter
02-05-2017, 12:38 PM
Released? What's happened to him? Would definitely have him as no.2 if we could sign someone like Begovic. Didn't Ruddy turn down Chelsea a year or 2 ago?

Seanee Pawnee
02-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Be very happy as a no.2 Does make me wonder why Norwich have released him though?

Kirby
02-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Because he's been shite for a good two seasons.

We'd be better keeping Hennessey or Jules as #2.

orp pisshead1
02-05-2017, 12:58 PM

Spot on , ruddy is average at best these days.

Stavros 69
02-05-2017, 01:00 PM

Sorry to say Jules is well past it and will never be our #2 after this season.
However, we should keep him as a #3 just in case.

Kirby
02-05-2017, 01:32 PM
Sorry to say Jules is well past it and will never be our #2 after this season.

Does anyone actually know that though?

From what I saw in the cup games this season he was still perfectly capable.

RDSdaEAGLE
02-05-2017, 01:36 PM
We sign someone who was dropped as first choice in a championship team? Really cannot believe this as a suggestion to improve the team.

Wayne Hennessey wasn't playing for Wolves when Palace signed him.

Kirby
02-05-2017, 01:52 PM

I think that's his point :D

Latvian Eagle
02-05-2017, 01:53 PM

He also wasn't playing for us when WBA apparently wanted him either. :moo:

Owngoal
02-05-2017, 02:30 PM

Wolves were trying to freeze out 4 or 5 players

Ruddy has been pretty poor and would not be our answer even in the championship. Jules needs to move aside from playing - SP is the one who offered the contract last year ('be nice to have him around, even if not playing'). SP thought we would have a wonderful Mandana and Hennessy as backup.

We need a proven number one like Begovic from Chelsea - plus a number two who can fill in without a worry - giving competition. Need a younger number three who will develop over a few years (need to look at the best keepers in lower divisions or a loan from a Prem club).
Jules should stop playing (Bolton were not a test and I don't want to see him go somewhere and then be forced to finish - he can go out of the game as a record breaking premiership keeper). No secret SM will be back to France and Wayne will get a spot and signing on fee somewhere - he would be crazy to sign on here with the bile he gets for every error, although he can be decent when the defence is settled it would not be good for his sanity (or the hate squad on here)!

Super Mabbutt
02-05-2017, 02:43 PM
Wolves were trying to freeze out 4 or 5 players

That old chestnut again?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11699/9100583/league-one-wolves-goalkeeper-wayne-hennessey-declines-to-play-against-gillingham

But, on topic, as a potential free Ruddy may be ok as a 2nd or 3rd choice. There was a good keeper in there a couple of years back - maybe he's still in there.

Popester
02-05-2017, 02:57 PM
That old chestnut again?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11699/9100583/league-one-wolves-goalkeeper-wayne-hennessey-declines-to-play-against-gillingham

I wish he had refused to play for us...

gold76
02-05-2017, 03:05 PM
A fair keeper, would be a good freebie as a no.2