PDA

View Full Version : Joey barton

TheMexicanHorse
26-04-2017, 12:10 PM
Suspended for 18 months. Related to betting.

hdeagle
26-04-2017, 12:11 PM
Burnley's Joey Barton has just been banned from football for 18 months with immediate effect for football betting.

This is a big blow to Burnley who face Palace this weekend.

andyocpfc
26-04-2017, 12:12 PM
Bloody hell, that's a hell of a ban (especially if you look at what Cantona got for what he did) that's him retired isn't it effectively?

TheMexicanHorse
26-04-2017, 12:13 PM
Bloody hell, that's a hell of a ban (especially if you look at what Cantona got for what he did) that's him retired isn't it effectively?

Over 1,200 bets in a ten year period.

beef
26-04-2017, 12:15 PM
What a way to go out! Maybe we'll have a puff piece in the Guardian in a years time about how he's reformed again!

crystal essex
26-04-2017, 12:15 PM
Such a shame always came across as a nice decent bloke ;)

eagle mart
26-04-2017, 12:16 PM
Addiction is an addiction is an addiction.

andyocpfc
26-04-2017, 12:19 PM
I guess he'll retire from football now officially and go back to radio like he did with 5 live. Have to say, I always quite enjoyed listening to the Monday night club POD on THE BBC when he was on.

beef
26-04-2017, 12:22 PM
Have to say I do feel a bit sorry for him

Tim
26-04-2017, 12:22 PM
He'll appeal that & win, surely?

Palace Bear
26-04-2017, 12:23 PM
Can't help feeling his ban is may be lengthened by the general stench and shadow that seems to follow him.
I expect the authorities were keen to get rid of him full stop.

Wouldn't be surprised if surfaces in a lower league management capacity, seems to believe himself to be intelligent.

ExiledStirling
26-04-2017, 12:25 PM
He'll appeal that & win, surely?
Depends on what odds his lawyers give him for a successful appeal.

GanbareWashi
26-04-2017, 12:26 PM
Fluent in French as well. Well, fluent in speaking English in a french accent I should say.

bigend1
26-04-2017, 12:26 PM
Can't help feeling his ban is may be lengthened by the general stench and shadow that seems to follow him.
I expect the authorities were keen to get rid of him full stop.

Wouldn't be surprised if surfaces in a lower league management capacity, seems to believe himself to be intelligent.

He also believed himself to be French too!

Kidofwonder
26-04-2017, 12:28 PM
he's posted a spreadsheet of all the bets he put on, on his website. said he only ever backed himself or his team when he was playing and only ever backed the opposition when he wasn't

ExiledStirling
26-04-2017, 12:28 PM
I guess he'll retire from football now officially and go back to radio like he did with 5 live. Have to say, I always quite enjoyed listening to the Monday night club POD on THE BBC when he was on.
I always enjoyed listening to him too. Hopefully this ban wont close any, or too many, doors to his media career. One of the better football pundits around (though with the bar set so low by the likes of Shearer and Lawrenson not a hard level to reach).

GrayP41ace
26-04-2017, 12:29 PM
Was this any football bets or bets he was involved in?

2.5 bets a week over a 10 year period doesn't actually seem a lot. Rules are rules of course, and it's for their own good I suppose. But 18 months seems drastic unless it involved possible fixing? Legitimate drug cheats and assaults on fellow professionals get less. OTT really.

eagles #1
26-04-2017, 12:30 PM
he's posted a spreadsheet of all the bets he put on, on his website. said he only ever backed himself or his team when he was playing and only ever backed the opposition when he wasn't

What an idiot. Not difficult to tell his mate in goal "Let a couple in and I'll give you some dough when we lose".

Kidofwonder
26-04-2017, 12:31 PM
What an idiot. Not difficult to tell his mate in goal "Let a couple in and I'll give you some dough when we lose".

most of the bets were pretty small fry tbh, £150 or less. it wasn't life changing money, not enough to throw a game for. It just seems like he was very very very foolish.

LLCOOLSTEVE
26-04-2017, 12:32 PM

http://www.joeybarton.com/betting-statement/

The FA have announced I am banned from all football for 18 months and fined £30,000 and costs for offences against The FA’s Betting Rules. I am very disappointed at the harshness of the sanction. The decision effectively forces me into an early retirement from playing football. To be clear from the outset here this is not match fixing and at no point in any of this is my integrity in question.

I accept that I broke the rules governing professional footballers, but I do feel the penalty is heavier than it might be for other less controversial players. I have fought addiction to gambling and provided the FA with a medical report about my problem. I’m disappointed it wasn’t taken into proper consideration. I think if the FA is truly serious about tackling the culture of gambling in football, it needs to look at its own dependence on the gambling companies, their role in football and in sports broadcasting, rather than just blaming the players who place a bet.

I am not alone in football in having a problem with gambling. I grew up in an environment where betting was and still is part of the culture. From as early as I can remember my family let me have my own pools coupon, and older members of the family would place bets for me on big races like the Grand National. To this day, I rarely compete at anything without there being something at stake. Whether that’s a round of golf with friends for a few pounds, or a game of darts in the training ground for who makes the tea, I love competing. I love winning. I am also addicted to that. It is also the case that professional football has long had a betting culture, and I have been in the sport all my adult life.

Given the money in the game, and the explosion in betting on sport, I understand why the rules have been strengthened, and I also accept that I have been in breach of them. I accept too that the FA has to be seen to lead on this issue. But surely they need to accept there is a huge clash between their rules and the culture that surrounds the modern game, where anyone who watches follows football on TV or in the stadia is bombarded by marketing, advertising and sponsorship by betting companies, and where much of the coverage now, on Sky for example, is intertwined with the broadcasters’ own gambling interests.

That all means this is not an easy environment in which to try to stop gambling, or even to encourage people within the sport that betting is wrong. It is like asking a recovering alcoholic to spend all his time in a pub or a brewery. If the FA is serious about tackling gambling I would urge it to reconsider its own dependence on the gambling industry. I say that knowing that every time I pull on my team’s shirt, I am advertising a betting company.

I say none of this to justify myself. But I do want to explain that sometimes these issues are more complicated than they seem.

As for the scale of my football betting, since 2004, on a Betfair account held in my own name, registered at my home address and verified by my own passport, with full transparency, I have placed over 15,000 bets across a whole range of sports. Just over 1,200 were placed on football and subject to the charges against me. The average bet was just over £150, many were for only a few pounds.

For the modern footballer, downtime and rest are important and I spend much of my time away from training in front of a TV screen, channel hopping across a range of sports, and betting on the outcome of games. I like watching sports and predicting the outcome. Set alongside what we are privileged to earn as footballers, my betting stakes are relatively small. Betting for me, is less about how much money I win or lose, and more about whether I can correctly predict the outcome of the game I’m watching. I hate losing more than I like winning, and this mindset has helped prevent me from placing big bets, for fear of losing big.

Raised at the hearing was that between 2004 and 2011 I placed a handful of bets on my own team to lose matches. I accept of course that this is against the rules, for the obvious reason that a player with an additional financial stake in the game might seek to change the course of it for his own personal gain. However I’d like to offer some context.

First, in every game I have played, I have given everything. I’m confident that anyone who has ever seen me play, or played with or against me, will confirm that to be the case. I am more aware than anyone that I have character issues that I struggle with, and my addictive personality is one of them, but I am a devoted and dedicated professional who has always given my all on the pitch.

Second, on the few occasions where I placed a bet on my own team to lose, I was not involved in the match day squad for any of those games. I did not play. I was not even on the bench. I had no more ability to influence the outcome than had I been betting on darts, snooker, or a cricket match in the West Indies. I should add that on some of those occasions, my placing of the bet on my own team to lose was an expression of my anger and frustration at not being picked or being unable to play. I understand people will think that is childish and selfish and I cannot disagree with that.

Third, I should point out that the last of these bets against my own team was six years ago (and in a reserve game), when I was going through a particularly troubled period, and when the FA were not nearly as hard on gambling as they are now.

One thing I can state with absolute certainty – I have never placed a bet against my own team when in a position to influence the game, and I am pleased that in all of the interviews with the FA, and at the hearing, my integrity on that point has never been in question. I could not live with myself, nor face my team-mates or the fans of the clubs I played for, if they seriously thought I would bet on my team to lose a game whose outcome I could influence.

The Commission that heard my case made clear in their reasons on a number of occasions that “there was no suggestion [I] was involved in match fixing” and I am publishing a list of my bets because I want the full facts of my case to be known.

A ban of 18 months is longer than several bans handed to players who played in matches where they bet for their team to lose and – unlike me – were found to have had an ability to influence the games. The only players to be banned for 12 months or longer bet against their own teams and played in the matches in which they placed those bets. Players who did not play in the matches they placed the bets in have never been banned for longer than 6 months. I feel the ban is excessive in this context.

Throughout my career I am someone who has made mistakes and owned up to those mistakes and tried to learn from them. I intend to do that here. I accept that this is one more mess I got into because of my own behaviour. This episode has brought home to me that just as I had to face up to the need to get help to deal with alcohol abuse, and with anger, so now I need to get help for my issues with gambling, and I will do so.

I want to thank the Burnley FC board, management, players and staff for their faith and understanding, and their belief that I would play for them, and play well, even with this hanging over me, and I want to thank the Burnley fans for the support they have given me throughout. They have been brilliant.

Having consulted with my friends and lawyers, I have decided I will be appealing against the length of the ban. I hope that I shall be afforded a fair hearing by an independent Appeal Panel. If I am, we are confident that the sanction will be reduced to a fair one that both reflects the offences as well as the mitigating factors and the fact that there was nothing untoward or suspicious about the bets I made.

Brumie Allan
26-04-2017, 12:32 PM
Such a shame always came across as a nice decent bloke ;)I see what you did there.:cool:

eagles #1
26-04-2017, 12:33 PM
most of the bets were pretty small fry tbh, £150 or less. it wasn't life changing money, not enough to throw a game for. It just seems like he was very very very foolish.

Makes you wonder why someone earning 50k+ a week needs to bet £150 or less, doesn't it really?

Zulu84
26-04-2017, 12:36 PM
Not a fan of his but there is a lot of truth to what he said about conflicting interests of the Premier league/FA and sports betting industry.

LLCOOLSTEVE
26-04-2017, 12:36 PM
Seems he also backed himself to score first on betfair..... lol although this is a regular thing amongst Pro's although they get someone else to place the bet for them, with cash, so its not traceable.

Stavros 69
26-04-2017, 12:37 PM
Can he play abroad?

GrayP41ace
26-04-2017, 12:37 PM

A clean sheet bonus was more than he was ever likely to win with a £3 bet :supergrin:

ExiledStirling
26-04-2017, 12:38 PM
Makes you wonder why someone earning 50k+ a week needs to bet £150 or less, doesn't it really?
It doesnt make you wonder at all when he states he has a personal issue with gambling.

GrayP41ace
26-04-2017, 12:39 PM
http://www.joeybarton.com/betting-statement/

The FA have announced I am banned from all football for 18 months and fined £30,000 and costs for offences against The FA’s Betting Rules. I am very disappointed at the harshness of the sanction. The decision effectively forces me into an early retirement from playing football. To be clear from the outset here this is not match fixing and at no point in any of this is my integrity in question.

I accept that I broke the rules governing professional footballers, but I do feel the penalty is heavier than it might be for other less controversial players. I have fought addiction to gambling and provided the FA with a medical report about my problem. I’m disappointed it wasn’t taken into proper consideration. I think if the FA is truly serious about tackling the culture of gambling in football, it needs to look at its own dependence on the gambling companies, their role in football and in sports broadcasting, rather than just blaming the players who place a bet.

I am not alone in football in having a problem with gambling. I grew up in an environment where betting was and still is part of the culture. From as early as I can remember my family let me have my own pools coupon, and older members of the family would place bets for me on big races like the Grand National. To this day, I rarely compete at anything without there being something at stake. Whether that’s a round of golf with friends for a few pounds, or a game of darts in the training ground for who makes the tea, I love competing. I love winning. I am also addicted to that. It is also the case that professional football has long had a betting culture, and I have been in the sport all my adult life.

Given the money in the game, and the explosion in betting on sport, I understand why the rules have been strengthened, and I also accept that I have been in breach of them. I accept too that the FA has to be seen to lead on this issue. But surely they need to accept there is a huge clash between their rules and the culture that surrounds the modern game, where anyone who watches follows football on TV or in the stadia is bombarded by marketing, advertising and sponsorship by betting companies, and where much of the coverage now, on Sky for example, is intertwined with the broadcasters’ own gambling interests.

That all means this is not an easy environment in which to try to stop gambling, or even to encourage people within the sport that betting is wrong. It is like asking a recovering alcoholic to spend all his time in a pub or a brewery. If the FA is serious about tackling gambling I would urge it to reconsider its own dependence on the gambling industry. I say that knowing that every time I pull on my team’s shirt, I am advertising a betting company.

I say none of this to justify myself. But I do want to explain that sometimes these issues are more complicated than they seem.

As for the scale of my football betting, since 2004, on a Betfair account held in my own name, registered at my home address and verified by my own passport, with full transparency, I have placed over 15,000 bets across a whole range of sports. Just over 1,200 were placed on football and subject to the charges against me. The average bet was just over £150, many were for only a few pounds.

For the modern footballer, downtime and rest are important and I spend much of my time away from training in front of a TV screen, channel hopping across a range of sports, and betting on the outcome of games. I like watching sports and predicting the outcome. Set alongside what we are privileged to earn as footballers, my betting stakes are relatively small. Betting for me, is less about how much money I win or lose, and more about whether I can correctly predict the outcome of the game I’m watching. I hate losing more than I like winning, and this mindset has helped prevent me from placing big bets, for fear of losing big.

Raised at the hearing was that between 2004 and 2011 I placed a handful of bets on my own team to lose matches. I accept of course that this is against the rules, for the obvious reason that a player with an additional financial stake in the game might seek to change the course of it for his own personal gain. However I’d like to offer some context.

First, in every game I have played, I have given everything. I’m confident that anyone who has ever seen me play, or played with or against me, will confirm that to be the case. I am more aware than anyone that I have character issues that I struggle with, and my addictive personality is one of them, but I am a devoted and dedicated professional who has always given my all on the pitch.

Second, on the few occasions where I placed a bet on my own team to lose, I was not involved in the match day squad for any of those games. I did not play. I was not even on the bench. I had no more ability to influence the outcome than had I been betting on darts, snooker, or a cricket match in the West Indies. I should add that on some of those occasions, my placing of the bet on my own team to lose was an expression of my anger and frustration at not being picked or being unable to play. I understand people will think that is childish and selfish and I cannot disagree with that.

Third, I should point out that the last of these bets against my own team was six years ago (and in a reserve game), when I was going through a particularly troubled period, and when the FA were not nearly as hard on gambling as they are now.

One thing I can state with absolute certainty – I have never placed a bet against my own team when in a position to influence the game, and I am pleased that in all of the interviews with the FA, and at the hearing, my integrity on that point has never been in question. I could not live with myself, nor face my team-mates or the fans of the clubs I played for, if they seriously thought I would bet on my team to lose a game whose outcome I could influence.

The Commission that heard my case made clear in their reasons on a number of occasions that “there was no suggestion [I] was involved in match fixing” and I am publishing a list of my bets because I want the full facts of my case to be known.

A ban of 18 months is longer than several bans handed to players who played in matches where they bet for their team to lose and – unlike me – were found to have had an ability to influence the games. The only players to be banned for 12 months or longer bet against their own teams and played in the matches in which they placed those bets. Players who did not play in the matches they placed the bets in have never been banned for longer than 6 months. I feel the ban is excessive in this context.

Throughout my career I am someone who has made mistakes and owned up to those mistakes and tried to learn from them. I intend to do that here. I accept that this is one more mess I got into because of my own behaviour. This episode has brought home to me that just as I had to face up to the need to get help to deal with alcohol abuse, and with anger, so now I need to get help for my issues with gambling, and I will do so.

I want to thank the Burnley FC board, management, players and staff for their faith and understanding, and their belief that I would play for them, and play well, even with this hanging over me, and I want to thank the Burnley fans for the support they have given me throughout. They have been brilliant.

Having consulted with my friends and lawyers, I have decided I will be appealing against the length of the ban. I hope that I shall be afforded a fair hearing by an independent Appeal Panel. If I am, we are confident that the sanction will be reduced to a fair one that both reflects the offences as well as the mitigating factors and the fact that there was nothing untoward or suspicious about the bets I made.

I'm not a fan of his, but I think he comes across pretty well and quite honest there. 18 months is harsh and am surprised they did not take into account the 30 key bets the panel looked at, he won only 2 of them, totalling a whopping £123.

Zulu84
26-04-2017, 12:40 PM
It doesnt make you wonder at all when he states he has a personal issue with gambling.

Yup

eagleborn
26-04-2017, 12:41 PM
He's a complete knob and he knew the rules, but I do feel this is quite harsh.

Would love to see the FA come down harshly like this on clubs who cheat or where there is racism / crowd trouble. However they won't. I think they've made an easy example out of him. Doubt they would have done it had it been from a big club or a bigger named player.

andyocpfc
26-04-2017, 12:43 PM
He's certainly right on certain aspects. There is a lot of hypocrisy surrounding betting. The game is awash with betting and gambling companies plastered everywhere. It doesn't mean of course he has to partake in it himself but it is forced in your face everywhere.

Zulu84
26-04-2017, 12:44 PM
I'm not a fan of his, but I think he comes across pretty well and quite honest there. 18 months is harsh and am surprised they did not take into account the 30 key bets the panel looked at, he won only 2 of them, totalling a whopping £123.

He's such an easy target for the FA. They know they can basically throw the book at him and claim to give a crap about corruption in the game (haha) and there will be little public support for Joey because well, he's Joey.

Selhurst Celtic
26-04-2017, 12:46 PM
Can he play abroad?

Going on his performances in the scotch pub league, no.

maestro
26-04-2017, 12:47 PM
Burnley's Joey Barton has just been banned from football for 18 months with immediate effect for football betting.

This is a big blow to Burnley who face Palace this weekend.

:D

andyocpfc
26-04-2017, 12:48 PM
Another note - how has it taken the authorities 10 years to catch someone who is an addicted gambler essentially with such a high profile whereby his account was his own name and address?!

Owngoal
26-04-2017, 12:49 PM
You can't just ignore what is a rule. For example, a manager just about to dump his club would not tell his mates to bet on it happening all around the area where he lived because it is wrong and just too obvious. Unless he was a complete c**t.

SilentAssassin
26-04-2017, 12:50 PM
People that spurn the chance in football in such fashion as a profession are complete fools when you have countless fans that would love to be in that position for nothing.

The length of the ban might sound harsh but this isn't exactly Barton's first chance of squandering the privilege of being a footballer.

Zulu84
26-04-2017, 12:51 PM
You can't just ignore what is a rule. For example, a manager just about to dump his club would not tell his mates to bet on it happening all around the area where he lived because it is wrong and just too obvious. Unless he was a complete c**t.

Hummmmm:p

art malice
Can he play abroad?

Wouldn't bet on it

Chillo
He's certainly right on certain aspects. There is a lot of hypocrisy surrounding betting. The game is awash with betting and gambling companies plastered everywhere. It doesn't mean of course he has to partake in it himself but it is forced in your face everywhere.

Agree 100%, but that's a different point to be taken up at a separate time, I believe (and not by a self-stated gambling addict who, of course, has his own vested interest in making such a point).

beef
26-04-2017, 12:52 PM
Wonder how he got caught out? The bookies can be quite shady especially slaphead Fred.

Timbo
26-04-2017, 12:54 PM

He explains it, nothing to do with the financial winnings as such, he just likes to create or raise the competetive edge of anything he does

Yoda
26-04-2017, 12:58 PM

That's betting addiction for you.

Eaglesmad123
26-04-2017, 01:13 PM

He's an addict

BillyTKid
26-04-2017, 01:13 PM
I think future generations will be shocked by current gambling legislation and advertising. Where younger people are amazed that you used to be able to smoke in cinemas etc, I think in 50 years views on gambling will be a lot different. As Barton points out the amount of advertising is massive now and really focused on grabbing you for a bet there and then. Then you have the roulette machines in betting shops gobbling money from people who don't have much and are often addicted. I don't think it would be unreasonable to have to fill out some sort of fact find when you open a betting account as you do when investing in a financial product. An algorithm could then spot if peoples betting frequency is getting our of hand or they are betting in size in excess of what they can reasonably afford. Obviously 99% of people can have a bet and enjoy it but those that can't are given a rope to hang themselves.

beef
26-04-2017, 01:16 PM
I've done a bit of matched betting/poker and they go to great lengths to hook you in and use all of the dark patterns you could imagine. They all provide some kind of legal warning and a blocking option, but with so many options it's not surprising people get addicted.

eltron
26-04-2017, 01:23 PM
All I care about is that he will be missing on Saturday.
he's a nasty little player - in the Robbie Savage mould (nowhere near as bad) - but perfectly capable of:

1. Playing a blinder
2. Injuring one of our players
3. getting one of our players sent off

For those reasons I am delighted he won't be there Saturday.

Sir.S.C Remembered
26-04-2017, 01:30 PM
Have to say I do feel a bit sorry for him

My initial reaction is why? Something like 2,000 bets. They know the rules. And I'm generally pro Barton

chelmsfordeagle
26-04-2017, 01:44 PM
This ban will be reduced. If not on appeal then by CAS.

And as others have said, Barton is right about the gambling links with football. Having lived abroad since the explosion of gambling advertising it amazes me how accepted it is that ad after ad is gambling related when sport is on TV.

Harry Bassett
26-04-2017, 01:49 PM
Stub a cigar or cigarette into a young players face and never mind eh!

He is a pseudo intellectual thug. And frankly my dear I don't give a damn.

BinfieldEagle
26-04-2017, 01:57 PM
Good job for him he is a better footballer than gambler on football!! :-)

eagle mart
26-04-2017, 02:11 PM
They’ve hung him out to dry. With all the mental health coverage going on, it doesn’t take much thought to realise this is all related. Looks to me like they can get rid of the problem they feel shouldn't exist- -i.e Joey, in one fell swoop.

And this is what Gordon Taylor pockets £3m a year for… Leaving his members high and dry. Ironically with all the money floating around the game, surely some of it can help people like Joey who gamble, the drinkers, and the depressive.

GrayP41ace
26-04-2017, 02:14 PM
My initial reaction is why? Something like 2,000 bets. They know the rules. And I'm generally pro Barton

1200 over a 10 year period. Less than 3 tiny bets per week?

Yes he's broken the rules, but 18 months as punishment, or is it simply to make an example of?

The FA would have been wiser giving him a small ban, 3 months/6 months, make him attend gambling addiction courses, and have him involved in Gambling addiction awareness throughout the game and what made him like it in the first place and how easy it is to fall into the trap.

I'm not suggesting he is a role model for U18's etc, what with his chequered past, but if he could help just a couple of people the FA could have gained from it.

He's unlikely to assist them when he feels like they've punished the player, rather than the offense.

Roy Keane ended a career on purpose and got less of a ban ffs!

beef
26-04-2017, 02:22 PM

Just because it's a potential career ender and it's never nice to see a player forced to end their career. Never been a huge Barton fan although he is a good footballer.

Bubble Wrap
26-04-2017, 02:23 PM
Very harsh punishment. Players have been caught taking drugs and got less.
Any fool can see they were fun bets nothing serious.

All the 9's
26-04-2017, 02:37 PM
What total utter hypocrisy by the football authorities. There is no question of match fixing. He has been found guilty of betting. Yet gambling is endemic in the game. Football clubs are sponsored by gambling firms, football on TV is sponsored by gambling firms and gambling firms provide one of the largest number of adverts during TV football games. 18 months ban for betting? If the authorities are so concerned, why not ban all links between betting firms, club sponsorship and football on TV? Whatever you think of Barton, the length of this verdict has the feel of the blazer brigade all over it.

GrayP41ace
26-04-2017, 02:48 PM
Whatever you think of Barton, the length of this verdict has the feel of the blazer brigade all over it.

Whatever you (they) think of Barton is the reason for the ban imo.

AndyStreet
26-04-2017, 02:54 PM
This ban will be reduced. If not on appeal then by CAS.

And as others have said, Barton is right about the gambling links with football. Having lived abroad since the explosion of gambling advertising it amazes me how accepted it is that ad after ad is gambling related when sport is on TV.
You can't take FA Disciplinary matters up to CAS.

bert head is god
26-04-2017, 03:07 PM
Having lived abroad since the explosion of gambling advertising it amazes me how accepted it is that ad after ad is gambling related when sport is on TV.

I was back in England in September for the first time in twenty years and when asked what the biggest changes I saw it was easy. Every pub is a Harvester and the gambling culture has gone completely mental. The casino on the television in the middle of the night was totally weird. If you haven't done enough of your dough in the pub tonight, don't worry. We're here to relieve you of the rest. Thank god this wasn't like this twenty years ago. I did enough in the old bookies.

cranesparkeagle
26-04-2017, 03:13 PM
Be interesting to see if there are any more of these coming. It does look like someone may have decided to make an example here. It is sad that it does effectively finish his career hereMay be too many uncomfortable home truths? Is he the the anonymous player in those articles? I often wondered

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
26-04-2017, 03:30 PM
What total utter hypocrisy by the football authorities. There is no question of match fixing. He has been found guilty of betting. Yet gambling is endemic in the game. Football clubs are sponsored by gambling firms, football on TV is sponsored by gambling firms and gambling firms provide one of the largest number of adverts during TV football games. 18 months ban for betting? If the authorities are so concerned, why not ban all links between betting firms, club sponsorship and football on TV? Whatever you think of Barton, the length of this verdict has the feel of the blazer brigade all over it.

Maybe what you say has great merit in general but in terms of Barton himself, he has all sorts of form when it comes to ruining his career.

This world kicks those that leaves themselves open to it. I guess some don't appreciate it when life has privileged them far more than most and thus don't realize that they have more to lose. Barton's on his umpteenth second chance by now and if he had a fraction of the smarts he attributes himself he should have been 'whiter than white' to protect what he has.

I've no sympathy and don't care about his 'addictions.' We all have problems and most of us have been given vastly less to fritter away than Joey Barton.

GrayP41ace
26-04-2017, 03:53 PM
You have no sympathy for an addict?

The amount of money one has to lose is hardly the prerequisite to the level of sympathy one should be afforded.

mushroom
26-04-2017, 03:56 PM
Anyone who doesn't have sympathy with someone with a addiction problem is kinda heartless.

Barton has had a shitty upbringing, the damage was probably done long before he became a footballer.

Feel sorry for him.

AJ
26-04-2017, 04:20 PM
If he appeals will he be able to contine to play until the appeal decision is reached?

Timbo
26-04-2017, 04:34 PM
The hypocrisy of the FA in punishing Barton so harshly for his gambling problems whilst they condone the surge of gambling sponsorship in the game they oversee is astounding

AndyStreet
26-04-2017, 04:57 PM
If he appeals will he be able to contine to play until the appeal decision is reached?

Potentially.

biggus mickus
26-04-2017, 06:04 PM
The hypocrisy of the FA in punishing Barton so harshly for his gambling problems whilst they condone the surge of gambling sponsorship in the game they oversee is astounding

Was thinking the same.

BillyTKid
26-04-2017, 06:10 PM
Can he go and play in China or something like that?

Super Mabbutt
26-04-2017, 06:18 PM

Unlikely. The FA will probably request FIFA extend the ban worldwide

Jordan's Jacket
26-04-2017, 06:52 PM
As long as it doesn't mean we'll see/hear more from him in the media

beef
26-04-2017, 08:00 PM

Wonder what his press conference accent would be like!

KYLIE MINEAGLE
26-04-2017, 09:30 PM

Don't get me wrong I like a punt on the nags, but, the explosion of gambling sponsorship and advertising is a real worry. Here in Oz as I suspect in the UK is disgraceful.

dim
26-04-2017, 09:49 PM

Sick Bucket
26-04-2017, 09:55 PM
Yeah the FA stink and I understand problems with addiction (VERY well), but he's a bit of a bloody idiot betting on games he's playing in, asking for trouble.

Ralph
27-04-2017, 06:03 AM
...but he's a bit of a bloody idiot betting on games he's playing in, asking for trouble.

He didn't.

Jim Cannon
27-04-2017, 06:08 AM
I always enjoyed listening to him too. Hopefully this ban wont close any, or too many, doors to his media career. One of the better football pundits around (though with the bar set so low by the likes of Shearer and Lawrenson not a hard level to reach).

Shearer and Lawrenson set a low bar, that Thierry Henry and Jamie Carragher have incredibly managed to keep well below.

Cpfcbob
27-04-2017, 06:14 AM
John moss friends and family need to be looked at over gambling. He clearly made sure Palace weren't winning last night.

sirdougie
27-04-2017, 06:23 AM
Barton's got no one to blame but himself.

I honestly don't know why anyone gambles. The more you do it, the more you are (quite literally) guaranteed to lose.

Raggy
27-04-2017, 06:37 AM
If he didn't gamble on games he was playing in I can't see what he has done wrong?

andyocpfc
27-04-2017, 07:24 AM

I honestly don't know why anyone gambles. The more you do it, the more you are (quite literally) guaranteed to lose.

The same could be said of alcohol, smoking or any drugs - it's a medical addiction. Rationale doesn't come into it. It doesn't start off how it begins, it creeps up on you and often unaware.

Yoda
27-04-2017, 07:25 AM

Agreed.

I know some disagree from discussions on previous threads, but I think there's far too much advertising etc for betting re football.

Personally I'd stop in-game betting, as it tempts people to chase after more and more opportunities to win, but they probably end up losing more and spiralling downwards in debt. They might also be increasingly 'tipsy', downing a few cans whilst watching Sky. I wonder how many are shocked next morning to discover what they've spent at the click of a button.

I'm not against a bet before the match, it's a free country and all that, and people probably put a bit more thought into what they're doing and spending then.

But I hate how Sky and those Ray Winstone adverts dominate the coverage and constantly tempt and urge people to spend.

Ralph
27-04-2017, 07:28 AM
If he didn't gamble on games he was playing in I can't see what he has done wrong?

In spite of his statement yesterday to say that he didn't bet on his side in any games he played in, as of today it's looking he's spinning the truth.

He did. Regularly. He would place bets on him to be first scorer in games. In my eyes that is betting on your team, as it's your teams scorer.

If his team got a penalty at 0-0 you could bet he'd be fighting like hell to take it.

Ralph
27-04-2017, 07:30 AM
Although this does put the severity of the ban into perspective:

Longest Bans in English football (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/the-longest-bans-in-english-football-6280039.html?action=gallery&ino=3)

beef
27-04-2017, 07:33 AM
In spite of his statement yesterday to say that he didn't bet on his side in any games he played in, as of today it's looking he's spinning the truth.

He did. Regularly. He would place bets on him to be first scorer in games. In my eyes that is betting on your team, as it's your teams scorer.

If his team got a penalty at 0-0 you could bet he'd be fighting like hell to take it.

I think that's the issue. There has to be a blanked ban on footballers betting because it introduces so many ways to influence matches.

HOVE EAGLE
27-04-2017, 07:37 AM
Players need help with this .look at Paul Mersin and even andros Townsend got a ban
Gambling is a serious problem in this country
Government need to crack down on this
Banning adverts during football would be a start
Cigarette adverts were finally banned
Feel sorry for Barton
There a lot of footballers who do this

Ridcully
27-04-2017, 07:55 AM
Bit of a idiot but stupidly long ban. Should get help and an opportunity to rebuild not be chucked out of the game. Who he is has had a big bearing here. FA really are tossers most of the time.

Random*
27-04-2017, 08:28 AM

Absolutely - I actually think that it's an area that the government need to step in to deal with.

For one thing the volume of gambling advertising around football is shocking, and tells me enough about the business and its model, and really I don't like the idea of children watching their football icons while having gambling advertising flashed in their face before, during and after the game.

Secondly, while high street bookies have been historically heavily regulated it seems bizarre that online ones currently seem to be able to advertise with impunity. Fun or glamorous adverts showing people winning fictional money with no down side. I find the current advertising around in play bet editing particularly egregious because it specifically undermines the possibility you might lose money.

For footballers I think there has to be a zero tolerance approach - no betting on any football directly or indirectly, and that extends to disclosing information to people when they know they are likely to gamble based upon that information.

Barton obviously needs help for an addiction and it very much looks like he's broken a particular taboo of betting on games he's been involved in so I can kind of understand the punishment, although it's worth noting he's far from the first (one example of many (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/southampton/6130280/Matthew-Le-Tissier-admits-being-part-of-attempted-betting-scam-at-Southampton.html)).

M3 Eagle
27-04-2017, 10:33 AM
I know plenty of people who have 2 or 3 bets a week and they don't have the time on their hands that a professional footballer does. Is betting at that frequency really addiction?

WorthingEagle
27-04-2017, 10:42 AM
I know plenty of people who have 2 or 3 bets a week and they don't have the time on their hands that a professional footballer does. Is betting at that frequency really addiction?

I might be wrong but I think that was just his bets on football, he was mainly betting on other sports.

BillyTKid
27-04-2017, 11:23 AM

I think total bets including all sports was 15,000 over a 10 year period. Four bets every day for 10 years does seem a lot and would suggest a problem.

cpfcfan1
27-04-2017, 11:55 AM
Meh

M3 Eagle
27-04-2017, 12:00 PM
OK, in that case yes he needs help. Hope he seeks it.

Random*
27-04-2017, 01:30 PM
His statement (http://www.joeybarton.com/betting-statement/) reads like an addict - it's a continual justification or blame shifting, rather than admission of his actions.

Summarised from the statement:
- I'm an addict
- It's the FA's fault for being in bed with gambling companies
- I'm not the only one
- My family made me gamble
- I'm competitive
- Football/sports people have a betting culture
- There's too much money in the game
- It's the FA/Sky's fault
- It's a hard environment to not gamble
- It's the FA/my team's fault
- It's complicated
- I didn't bet that much
- I had a lot of spare time
- I had too much money
- I don't like losing and didn't bet much
- I didn't fix matches
- I have an addictive personality
- I wasn't involved when I bet against my team
- I only placed the bet because I was angry at not being picked
- It was years ago
- I was in a bad place
- I didn't match fix

Finally he says he's going to get help. Yeah I think he has a problem.

Olympian2
27-04-2017, 03:11 PM
He didn't.

Yes he did. He bet on himself to be first scorer in one match.

Crucially, what he didn't do was bet against his team when he was playing - thus, there could be no suggestion that he was throwing/fixing matches.

Bungalow
27-04-2017, 03:19 PM

Crucially, what he didn't do was bet against his team when he was playing - thus, there could be no suggestion that he was throwing/fixing matches.

Given the above I agree that 18 months is a bit harsh.

Like an earlier poster I detest all the betting adverts there are onTV now. Especially the Ray Winstone ones.

Twilko
27-04-2017, 03:42 PM
Given the above I agree that 18 months is a bit harsh.

Like an earlier poster I detest all the betting adverts there are onTV now. Especially the Ray Winstone ones.

As others have said betting on himself to be the first scorer could have influenced games. What if early in the game he has the ball out wide with no chance to get a shot away but has a teammate in space in the box. Would he do his best to pick him out even though it might lose the bet?

It's just as likely that he was placing so many small bets that he didn't care about whether they paid out or not, but I wouldn't be happy if I was one of his teammates and found out he was doing this.

Bungalow
27-04-2017, 04:08 PM
As others have said betting on himself to be the first scorer could have influenced games. What if early in the game he has the ball out wide with no chance to get a shot away but has a teammate in space in the box. Would he do his best to pick him out even though it might lose the bet?

It's just as likely that he was placing so many small bets that he didn't care about whether they paid out or not, but I wouldn't be happy if I was one of his teammates and found out he was doing this.

Fair point. But 18 months seems very harsh compared to other bans for eg violence towards refs or fans in the stands.

GrayP41ace
27-04-2017, 04:31 PM

He clearly wasn't doing it for the money, 3 quid on himself to score was getting him naff all in comparison to a win from someone elses goal etc.

He says himself it was for the added buzz, to heighten what was already something he was investing in.

I would imagine if he had bet significant sums, coupled with hating to lose, then there would be a reasonable argument to him possibly not passing. Not for £60 returns :supergrin:

WLYWLYAWYPWF
27-04-2017, 04:44 PM

Apparently used to be a common thing for players to do to offset the loss of a win bonus. They obviously still tried their best to win the game but if they didn't they were still up on their weeks wages. This was obviously in the days of moderate wages. Might still happen in the lower leagues.

elgin eagle
27-04-2017, 04:50 PM

Not if you do matched betting. Mug betting, yes for the large majority that is a mugs game.

Also, what mushroom said.

beef
27-04-2017, 05:10 PM

People find it fun to have a punt on something - I know I do occasionally. I do know people who regularly bet on football and only remember the times they win money!

---

I found matched betting has hidden costs. You end up dealing with really shady companies as the good offers dry up, get banned from certain bookies and have to sink a fair bit of time into it. You also end up giving copies of ID to various people which always scares me.

wedgetail
27-04-2017, 05:13 PM
Based on his public statements regarding his various issues it seems that his main problem is failure to take resposnability for his own actions.

GrayP41ace
27-04-2017, 05:15 PM
Based on his public statements regarding his various issues it seems that his main problem is failure to take resposnability for his own actions.

Like pretty much any addict.

cpfc4evandeva
27-04-2017, 05:24 PM
An average of 2.3 bets a week over the course of 10 years, betting low amounts (when considering his wages), doesn't scream gambling addict to me...

elgin eagle
27-04-2017, 05:30 PM
I found matched betting has hidden costs. You end up dealing with really shady companies as the good offers dry up, get banned from certain bookies and have to sink a fair bit of time into it. You also end up giving copies of ID to various people which always scares me.

Only if you sign up with them! I stick to the big boys personally and try to match bet the winnings into the betfair/betdaq/smarkets/matchbook accounts to keep them happy and offering promotions.

After a lifetime of losing money to bookies i'm still doing it, only winning more at the exchanges instead :) You are right about it being time consuming though. Beats driving trains on Sundays though.

Twilko
27-04-2017, 05:44 PM
He clearly wasn't doing it for the money, 3 quid on himself to score was getting him naff all in comparison to a win from someone elses goal etc.

He says himself it was for the added buzz, to heighten what was already something he was investing in.

I would imagine if he had bet significant sums, coupled with hating to lose, then there would be a reasonable argument to him possibly not passing. Not for £60 returns :supergrin:

Does the buzz come from placing the bet that is then completely forgotten about, or is the buzz heightened if he wins (albeit a small amount)?

Can't say I'll ever really understand this kind of addition, which is probably a very good thing.

Eaglesmad123
27-04-2017, 05:50 PM

Shows how limited your knowledge of addiction.

GrayP41ace
27-04-2017, 08:46 PM
Does the buzz come from placing the bet that is then completely forgotten about, or is the buzz heightened if he wins (albeit a small amount)?

Can't say I'll ever really understand this kind of addition, which is probably a very good thing.

I'm not sure, can't honesty say I understand it either. Makes even less sense when he is betting money that a lot of people far less fortunate could afford to fritter away? Like you say, the buzz of winning 60 quid the same day 50k goes in your account doesn't seem like much of a hit.

Maybe it's the feeling part of it, I dunno? But I can't see it ever being an influence on a pitch, not at those amounts.

dim
27-04-2017, 09:14 PM
Wow, the F.A. threw the bookie at him.....

alexcpfc
27-04-2017, 09:40 PM
Extremely harsh ban (and the FA said they were lenient) when you consider the far worse things people have done in the game (Cantona, Di Canio).

ebyeeckeagle
27-04-2017, 10:03 PM
An average of 2.3 bets a week over the course of 10 years, betting low amounts (when considering his wages), doesn't scream gambling addict to me...

I suppose it is football bets only revealed, not sure what other sports he bet on.

But I was surprised at the low level of betting, if that is all it was. Addict? Hmmmm. Unless there was a lot going on the horses etc, it doesn't sound right.

Celestial Empire
27-04-2017, 10:03 PM
More to the point, will Burnley miss him ?

ebyeeckeagle
27-04-2017, 10:08 PM
More to the point, will Burnley miss him ?

Burnley who have slid to the bottom since he came back? The guy was barely performing for a Rangers side who would struggle in League 1.

Last 2 games I saw, he gave away goals. Shame for us I think. Burnley fans may think different of course.

TopKnot
27-04-2017, 10:17 PM
Looking at the Burnley forums, they don't seem too bothered.

GrayP41ace
27-04-2017, 10:21 PM
Extremely harsh ban (and the FA said they were lenient) when you consider the far worse things people have done in the game (Cantona, Di Canio).

Ignoring for a moment all the lesser bans, for players deliberately injuring players, pushing referees, drug taking, racism, attacking fans and biting opposition players (repeatedly)etc. It's not even the worst thing Joey Barton has done! But the FA seem to suggest a gambling addict (non match fixing) is more of a problem in the game than a player assaulting people and stubbing cigars out on youth team players' faces.

The length of ban is bonkers.

ebyeeckeagle
27-04-2017, 10:29 PM
Ignore the hypocrisy of FA sponsored bookies etc.

Players/officials betting actually undermines the whole game. It not like a reckless tackle.

If you start tinkering with level of bets ETC, it brings way too much discretion to the table.

cpfc4evandeva
28-04-2017, 09:08 AM
I suppose it is football bets only revealed, not sure what other sports he bet on.

But I was surprised at the low level of betting, if that is all it was. Addict? Hmmmm. Unless there was a lot going on the horses etc, it doesn't sound right.

A sceptic might think he's now saying he's an addict to help with any possible appeal :angel:

GrayP41ace
28-04-2017, 10:15 AM
Ignore the hypocrisy of FA sponsored bookies etc.

Players/officials betting actually undermines the whole game. It not like a reckless tackle.

If you start tinkering with level of bets ETC, it brings way too much discretion to the table.

Oh I totally agree, the level needs to be zero and he deserves a ban, but 18 months for it is OTT, especially when being a proper **** in the past resulted in lesser bans, and others ending careers on purpose is punished far less so.

I didn't mention reckless tackles as you're right, it's not like that at all.

GrayP41ace
28-04-2017, 10:17 AM
A sceptic might think he's now saying he's an addict to help with any possible appeal :angel:

Over 15,000 bets in 10 years sounds like an addiction to my untrained mind?

AJ
28-04-2017, 10:24 AM
Ignoring for a moment all the lesser bans, for players deliberately injuring players, pushing referees, drug taking, racism, attacking fans and biting opposition players (repeatedly)etc. It's not even the worst thing Joey Barton has done! But the FA seem to suggest a gambling addict (non match fixing) is more of a problem in the game than a player assaulting people and stubbing cigars out on youth team players' faces.

The length of ban is bonkers.

I think it is because he broke the FA rules thousands of times. Remember Cantana got 6 months for 1 offense, so if it is 1 match ban for each gambling offense, then you can see why he would miss something like 50 games. Personally, I think it is harsh, but kudos to the FA for taking it seriously, I only hope they do the same to the big clubs when something similar happens.

switchboard
28-04-2017, 11:06 AM
Looking at the Burnley forums, they don't seem too bothered.

His one goal which got them 3 points could be what keeps them up.

stevek
28-04-2017, 11:21 AM
His one goal which got them 3 points could be what keeps them up.

Without Campbell's one goal, Hull would only be two points behind us rather than five - so that could be what keeps up.

GrayP41ace
28-04-2017, 12:19 PM
I think it is because he broke the FA rules thousands of times. Remember Cantana got 6 months for 1 offense, so if it is 1 match ban for each gambling offense, then you can see why he would miss something like 50 games. Personally, I think it is harsh, but kudos to the FA for taking it seriously, I only hope they do the same to the big clubs when something similar happens.

To be fair, that isn't a bad assumption. Albeit it would be 1500+ games as that's how many offences he actually made, but still, makes more sense if they've applied that kind logic to it though.