PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Centre Back

ForzaPalace
27-04-2017, 07:27 AM
So now that we won't be signing Sakho (which is absolutely gutting), who else should we be looking at?

gold76
27-04-2017, 07:38 AM
I've always thought Dawson of Hull a fair player, may be worth a look if they drop

mushroom
27-04-2017, 08:12 AM
Harry Mcguire

SilentAssassin
27-04-2017, 09:06 AM
Shame we can't get Pontus Jannson. I think we will end up with Lamine Kone.

Gregz41
27-04-2017, 09:49 AM
Are the scan results in from Sahko's injury?

Mr Palace
27-04-2017, 09:50 AM
Why won't we be signing Sakho? Bizarrely, his injury may increase the chances of him singing for us. Hopefully it's not a long term injury.

Maidstoned Eagle
27-04-2017, 10:58 AM
Why won't we be signing Sakho? Bizarrely, his injury may increase the chances of him singing for us. Hopefully it's not a long term injury.

Did he injure his throat then?

Steve in Phoenix
27-04-2017, 11:42 AM
Harry Mcguire

Good target but reportedly already lined up by Spurs and Everton. Hull likely to survive as well.

Stavros 69
27-04-2017, 11:54 AM
We're Palace, and whilst we have cash we should be looking at undervalued assets (probably owned by the big clubs ala Sakho) or rough gems unproven in this league but with the attributes to flourish. I was watching the Anderlecht Vs. Utd game the other night and both their CB's were more than good enough to hold off Utd's defence. These are the kind of players we should look at.
Sakho has been brilliant but looks like he'll be out for a year and will cost 30m + 100k per week in wages.
I think there is value out there and BFS is the man who knows his defenders.

beef
27-04-2017, 11:55 AM
Do we qualify for an emergency loan if another CB gets injured?

knowlesyUCLA
27-04-2017, 12:00 PM
We will be in for Kone at Sunderland and I suspect we will get him. That said, I also think we will make a run for Sakho although probably fail.

davematt
27-04-2017, 12:00 PM
An injury to either Kelly or Delaney and I think we would revert to a back 3 IMO with Ward, Luka and Kelly/Delaney.

PALACEWU
27-04-2017, 12:39 PM
Why is the Sakho deal not on the cards?

Bones14
27-04-2017, 12:49 PM
Bring Big Sam out of retirement as a playing coach. Wasn't he a CB??

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
27-04-2017, 12:52 PM
Why is the Sakho deal not on the cards?

It still is possible as far as anyone knows. The OP just stated opinion as fact.

sheepy
27-04-2017, 01:17 PM
We're Palace, and whilst we have cash we should be looking at undervalued assets (probably owned by the big clubs ala Sakho) or rough gems unproven in this league but with the attributes to flourish. I was watching the Anderlecht Vs. Utd game the other night and both their CB's were more than good enough to hold off Utd's defence. These are the kind of players we should look at.
Sakho has been brilliant but looks like he'll be out for a year and will cost 30m + 100k per week in wages.

This x100000000000000

glenn.f
27-04-2017, 03:02 PM
Might be able to knock a fair whack off a deal for Sakho with his injury if its serious, so i wouldn't say it was dead in the water. Its a gamble if he has done his cruciate but showing him a little love and loyalty might tip the balance even further our way if we showed willing.

ForzaPalace
27-04-2017, 03:10 PM

That Spajic for Anderlecht played an absolute blinder. Can't judge him on that one game but he seriously impressed me.

Ardent Eagle Forever
27-04-2017, 03:33 PM

I didn't know that he could sing as well.

Stavros 69
27-04-2017, 03:44 PM
That Spajic for Anderlecht played an absolute blinder. Can't judge him on that one game but he seriously impressed me.
Yeah the other guy, think it might have been Kara was also excellent.
I bet he would cost half the price of Sakho in fee and wages at least and do more than a decent job.

CP-RJW
27-04-2017, 03:49 PM
Last centre back who came from Anderlecht to the prem is Mbemba, who couldn't get a game for Newcastle in the championship. Definitely a big risk punting on these sorts of players but I trust in Sam.

ForzaPalace
27-04-2017, 04:03 PM
I'd take Mbemba

Mr Palace
27-04-2017, 04:08 PM
Obviously Sakho is first choice - he'd be an immense signing.

Other good options would be:

Gibson
Wimmer
Ake
Maguire

costello
27-04-2017, 04:26 PM
Seeing the influence that Sakho has had as someone who can organise, talk and put his arm around other players (all things that Dann doesn't do by the way) makes me think that we need an experienced player to play left side of the defence. My guess is that Sam will throw his hat in the ring for John Terry.

Nigelbrag
27-04-2017, 04:28 PM

You are right Spajic is one heck of a player, i heard he is lined up for Dortmund. I am sure Big Sam has his sights on Kone at Sunderland, however we do need a Left footed CB to complement Dann and Tomkins as we have seen the difference it makes when Sakho came in.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
27-04-2017, 05:10 PM
Ranocchia has done well on loan at Hull - could we nip in there?

Also, is it possible that Kelly's performances mean a new CB is less of a priority?

elgin eagle
27-04-2017, 05:22 PM
Is it worth giving Delaney another season for continuity? He's done well when called upon. Obviously would love to see Sakho on a permanent deal, but it's going to be heavily dependant on appearances now I guess (depending on the scan results of course). With Dann and Tomkins also currently injured, it's certainly going to be an interesting window. We've been very lucky with Benteke in fairness, though seriously unlucky with Wickham, Souare, and the defenders. Not many clubs have 5 out of their 25 out with long term injuries.

CP-RJW
27-04-2017, 05:26 PM
Is it worth giving Delaney another season for continuity? He's done well when called upon. Obviously would love to see Sakho on a permanent deal, but it's going to be heavily dependant on appearances now I guess (depending on the scan results of course). With Dann and Tomkins also currently injured, it's certainly going to be an interesting window. We've been very lucky with Benteke in fairness, though seriously unlucky with Wickham, Souare, and the defenders. Not many clubs have 5 out of their 25 out with long term injuries.
Don't see why not, he'd be useful to have around the dressing room I imagine despite probably not playing (like Paddy Mccarthy,) and can be our absolute last resort centre back.

PalaceSi
27-04-2017, 06:07 PM
Of course its worth giving Delaney another season. Centre back is such a crucial position and as is being witnessed we need 5 in the squad. Serious injuries are easy to pick up and you can't leave yourself short in that position. We're actually very fortunate we've had 5 to call upon.

Reps AJ
27-04-2017, 07:42 PM
I've always thought Dawson of Hull a fair player, may be worth a look if they drop

34 next season

Stavros 69
27-04-2017, 07:45 PM
Seeing the influence that Sakho has had as someone who can organise, talk and put his arm around other players (all things that Dann doesn't do by the way) makes me think that we need an experienced player to play left side of the defence. My guess is that Sam will throw his hat in the ring for John Terry.

Totally agree about being a leader in the dressing room etc.
Can we afford to pay him for 6 months out?
They'll demand a big fee and lots of clubs abroad will have that kind of cash.
Terry, no thanks.

CharlieCPFC
27-04-2017, 08:23 PM
Maguire has been impressive at Hull, but we really need a top centre half going forward. As much as I think Allardyce has the ability (like Pulis) to make an ordinary centre half look good, over the next few years it would be nice to have an established partnership.

Pierre
28-04-2017, 08:07 AM
Shame we can't get Pontus Jannson. I think we will end up with Lamine Kone.

I like the look of Pontus Jannson he's a good quality centre half that also has good distribution skills. Built up quite a following at Leeds Utd.
Got to be worth a making an offer on!

jimos_uk
28-04-2017, 04:26 PM
Terry, no thanks.

Terry can FO. Legs.

You made a great point in your last post. We're in a position that, should we stay up, might echo 'Boro signing Robert Huth from Chelsea. There's a lot of stockpiled talent out there who would thrive with us.

biggus mickus
28-04-2017, 06:23 PM

Agreed Mr Bot.

Braders
28-04-2017, 06:41 PM

He looks a terrific player based on that game against the wankers, hope we are keeping tabs on him.

TAK
28-04-2017, 10:40 PM

Agree with your comments regarding undervalued and rough gems but in the case of Sakho, it doesn't look like he'll be out for next season and his wages are less than 100k per week, I see 75k quoted on the web.

30m is another whole ball game but look what he's brought to the team.

GorBlimey
29-04-2017, 03:18 AM
With his injury, Sakho is a bit shop soiled now so surely we have a better chance of signing him?

Maidstoned Eagle
29-04-2017, 06:45 AM
Terry, no thanks.

Make your mind up, is he out for a year or six months?

CharlieCPFC
29-04-2017, 07:08 AM
With his injury, Sakho is a bit shop soiled now so surely we have a better chance of signing him?

That was my thinking too. I've got a feeling he'll be here come next season.

kilkennyjim
29-04-2017, 09:11 AM
No worries for centre back next season. If anyone knows a good one sam does. He will sign what's required and make them better. And yes damian delaney is worth another year as cover for 4 others

Nigelbrag
29-04-2017, 10:23 AM
I read Simon Kjaer is wanting to leave Turkey this summer, a commanding Left footed CB that would be a superb signing should Sakho not join.

DARZET EAGLE
29-04-2017, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=Nigelbrag;13600783]I read Simon Kjaer is wanting to leave Turkey this summer, a commanding Left footed CB that would be a superb signing should Sakho not join.[/QUOTE

Good shout Nigel, at 28 he is a good age and has already over 50 Danish caps. He also appears to have the stature to manage the job at 6'3''. Thank you Wiki!

dilem
29-04-2017, 01:21 PM
Kara Mbodji from anderlecht would be good - we've been linked a fair bit too

CharlieCPFC
29-04-2017, 06:37 PM
Ever need any more evidence we desperately need a good centre half this summer today would prove that.

Jimmy Eagle
29-04-2017, 06:47 PM
Delaney and Ward are so out of their depth. Respect blah blah blah. **** off

Chillo
29-04-2017, 08:08 PM
Ever need any more evidence we desperately need a good centre half this summer today would prove that.

Two.

aashman12
30-04-2017, 07:12 AM

Would rather his cb partner.

TC EAGLE
30-04-2017, 11:14 AM
Kone and Nathan Ake

Gyro1780
30-04-2017, 06:13 PM
Did Sakho have to be at the game yesterday? I thought being injured he'd be recovering but was there supporting.

Maybe he's enjoyed being here on loan & would sign if we can sort a deal?

I think we'll get him & Kone as Delaney replacement.

DARZET EAGLE
30-04-2017, 09:40 PM
Did Sakho have to be at the game yesterday? I thought being injured he'd be recovering but was there supporting.

Maybe he's enjoyed being here on loan & would sign if we can sort a deal?

I think we'll get him & Kone as Delaney replacement.

I know Delaney has been a big player for us, but do we really need two to replace him.;)

leesaw
01-05-2017, 08:00 AM
Andrea Ranocchia would be a very good addition. He's had a great loan spell at Hull and I would imagine he could be picked up from Inter for a sensible fee. I'm sure London would be a better proposition for him too.

Thefunkymonk
01-05-2017, 10:04 AM

I have my suspicions he's 2nd on list behind sakho.

Personally I would be releasing damo, selling Dann and signing this chap and sakho. Anderlecht apparently looking for 12m

Owngoal
01-05-2017, 10:21 AM
Don't want too many players who will vanish to African Cup of Nations or the one Jedi was in

Thefunkymonk
01-05-2017, 10:28 AM
Don't want too many players who will vanish to African Cup of Nations or the one Jedi was in

Fair point.

Duffle Coat
01-05-2017, 11:22 AM
I like the look of Pontus Jannson he's a good quality centre half that also has good distribution skills. Built up quite a following at Leeds Utd.
Got to be worth a making an offer on!

This.

Eastern Boy
01-05-2017, 12:14 PM
I have my suspicions he's 2nd on list behind sakho.

Personally I would be releasing damo, selling Dann and signing this chap and sakho. Anderlecht apparently looking for 12m

Yes I'd go with this

jimmy the gent
01-05-2017, 01:40 PM
I reckon David Tuttle would be an upgrade on Delaney on Saturdays form

riggers
01-05-2017, 03:15 PM
Ward has been great with two strong centre halves alongside him so you are talking absolute nonsense.

DARZET EAGLE
01-05-2017, 04:18 PM
Ward has been great with two strong centre halves alongside him so you are talking absolute nonsense.

Correct, but we do need an extra right back. Trippier would be great.

TheCharmer1
01-05-2017, 04:37 PM
Correct, but we do need an extra right back. Trippier would be great.

Zero chance of that if Kyle walker leaves Spurs, which seems highly likely

adrenalin john
01-05-2017, 05:31 PM
Zero chance of that if Kyle walker leaves Spurs, which seems highly likely

Precisely. Spurs will fight to keep smelly and plain but will cash in on Walnker (silent L)

adrenalin john
01-05-2017, 05:31 PM
Tripper is a quality player, one I would have loved to have signed

Stavros 69
01-05-2017, 06:24 PM
If we want an extra RB we should be looking at what happened to us in the championship when we got bent over pretty regularly.
We should be looking at a Clyne equivalent who's young, pacey, played a good couple of seasons every game etc with resale value.

Nigelbrag
01-05-2017, 06:41 PM
Trippier has said he is happy to stay even if it means being understudy to Walker.

Santos-er
01-05-2017, 07:15 PM
Trippier has said he is happy to stay even if it means being understudy to Walker.

Which suggests that my suspicion that he's not particularly motivated would prove well-founded.

I did wonder when he moved from Burnley to Spurs if he was doing so to fight for the first team or just sit on the bench and pick up his wages... Shame because he's a good fit for us and vastly better at crossing the ball than Ward (or Kyle Walker, Andros Townsend and Wilf for that matter).

Of course if Walker leaves he may get to start for them anyway - if Pochettino rates him.

Oli28
01-05-2017, 07:25 PM
Which suggests that my suspicion that he's not particularly motivated would prove well-founded.

I did wonder when he moved from Burnley to Spurs if he was doing so to fight for the first team or just sit on the bench and pick up his wages... Shame because he's a good fit for us and vastly better at crossing the ball than Ward (or Kyle Walker, Andros Townsend and Wilf for that matter).

Of course if Walker leaves he may get to start for them anyway - if Pochettino rates him.
Alternatively, it could show more ambition to try and fight for a place in that team than drop down the league for an uncontested start each week

Gyro1780
02-05-2017, 02:00 AM
Could we try for Jenkinson again in the summer?

Gyro1780
02-05-2017, 02:00 AM

mroakley9
02-05-2017, 02:08 AM

**** him

GorBlimey
02-05-2017, 04:00 AM
That was my thinking too. I've got a feeling he'll be here come next season.

Please!!

jimmy the gent
03-05-2017, 12:12 PM
Kurt Zouma will be made available for a season long loan. Would seem the perfect fit for all parties. Him and Sakho, with Tomkins and Dann would leave us very strong in that position.

knowlesyUCLA
03-05-2017, 12:36 PM
Jenkinson is shite - we must be looking at better than him, surely? Expect an import from Ligue 1 in that position this summer.

Likewise I think that Zouma is a strong possibility if we can't get Sakho. To be honest, even if we can get Sakho we should still be looking at him. Imagine how good those two would be at centre back?!

Polak
03-05-2017, 12:44 PM
Jenkinson was described as Bambi on ice in his last game.

jimmy the gent
03-05-2017, 12:51 PM
Jenkinson is shite - we must be looking at better than him, surely? Expect an import from Ligue 1 in that position this summer.

Likewise I think that Zouma is a strong possibility if we can't get Sakho. To be honest, even if we can get Sakho we should still be looking at him. Imagine how good those two would be at centre back?!

Certainly a very mobile combination. Seems a no brainer to get Zouma in, regardless of Sahko IMHO.

Cleon
03-05-2017, 02:10 PM
Jenkinson?????? That sad sack **** chose to rot on the bench at Arsenal than fight for his place at Palace. The absolute worse kind of rotten apple out there, avoid.

chelmsfordeagle
03-05-2017, 02:53 PM
Kurt Zouma will be made available for a season long loan. Would seem the perfect fit for all parties. Him and Sakho, with Tomkins and Dann would leave us very strong in that position.

very good player. I'm not sure Chelsea would see a team, where he is not likely to be starter, as a perfect fit.

exiledeagle
03-05-2017, 03:28 PM
Believe we will have lots to do in Summer ref centre back - whichever division we are in . Dann has had injuries on and off all season and same with Tomkins ( looking at his time with West Ham he regularly misses about a third of the season ) With Delaney probably leaving , big decision for us I think .

CP-RJW
03-05-2017, 03:30 PM
very good player. I'm not sure Chelsea would see a team, where he is not likely to be starter, as a perfect fit.
How would he not be a starter? Better than all our center halves besides Sakho, who may not even be here next season.

aashman12
05-05-2017, 06:33 AM
This.

3.5m quid. Yrs please

Tim
05-05-2017, 07:26 AM

Come on, he really isn't 'great' it's just that we don't have any other options at RB. It's a position that's been neglected for too long & hopefully will be strengthened in the summer..

Steve in Phoenix
05-05-2017, 07:33 AM

Spurs rely heavily on their full backs and rotate them more than most teams. With Champions League football next year they're going to be even less inclined to let them go. Davies and Trippier have played 23 and 17 games, approximately half the season, they're not exactly sitting on the bench and collecting wages.

Richwak
05-05-2017, 12:42 PM
Andrea Ranocchia has looked pretty good whilst on loan at Hull. If they go down worth a punt maybe.