PDA

View Full Version : Defoe again, signs for Bouremouth, finally!

Pages : [1] 2

FMH57
28-04-2017, 03:17 PM
Hopefully, he has a break clause when they get relegated or at least a minimal transfer fee clause in there as Townsend did. Would give us the option to play 4-4-2 at home and would be great back-up to Benteke while Wickham take his time to get back (which he probably will). His relationship with Allardyce should give us a heads -up on this one , particularly as Sam was the one who gave him the renewed contract at Sunderland, and therefore should know all the ins and outs.

brighton_eagle
28-04-2017, 03:22 PM
He's out of contract in the summer isn't he? Will be a queue of bottom half to mid table clubs who'd be interested in signing him I would imagine, as well as the three promoted clubs.

knowlesyUCLA
28-04-2017, 03:28 PM
It is common knowledge that he has a clause allowing him to leave for free if they are relegated. I would take him on a 2 year deal definitely, although it would require a change of formation to accommodate him alongside Benteke.

I reckon he will go to West Ham.

Spiderman
28-04-2017, 03:57 PM
It is common knowledge that he has a clause allowing him to leave for free if they are relegated. I would take him on a 2 year deal definitely, although it would require a change of formation to accommodate him alongside Benteke.

He has got the clause in his contract, he will sign for Palace...believe me.

Robin
28-04-2017, 04:14 PM
Would be an asset.

jaspercpfc
28-04-2017, 04:17 PM
would love him here.

jimos_uk
28-04-2017, 04:20 PM
He has got the clause in his contract, he will sign for Palace...believe me.

PHIL BARBER, is that you?

Would be a far better option off the bench than dear Frazier, despite his age. It's almost a joke how many goals he scores in average teams, imagine what he could do with Wilf and Andros supporting. It's not 2007 though, so would be offering a one year deal with an extension at best.

FMH57
28-04-2017, 04:52 PM

His current deal with Sunderland takes him to 2019. If the release clause is in there , I'm sure we could offer the same terms, and because it's Sunderland these are not going to be ridiculous. So a two year deal would cost his salary.

West Ham are in disarray. See this mornings reports re Antonio not happy there and the Payet fiasco earlier this season. Add to that the Dildo Twins are well past their sell by date and increasing getting out of their depth with the stadium, their own players, and other teams players judging by previous comments re Benteke and others.Its a fact that our owners wealth, in Blazer and Harris, make them look like the spivs they really are. Don't think Defoe's reception has been great there since he left either, similar to the like of Lampard.

Here he would be joining what seems to be a happy, united squad under a manager who got the best out of him in a shocking team. It would also mean a return to London after his northern exile of the past few years. A front four of Townsend, Zaha, Benteke and Defoe at home to the like of Bournemouth and Brighton would be tasty to say the least.

Thefunkymonk
29-04-2017, 10:04 PM
So he will be available for free... definitely worth trying to get him if we stay up

CharlieCPFC
30-04-2017, 07:05 AM
You'd have to take Defoe all day long, he'd suit us to the ground right around now. Against the weaker sides who sit back we crave someone up top with a bit of movement to try and stretch the opposing back four.

I've got a strong feeling he'll be here come August, the way Sam spoke about him before the Sunderland game would suggest that.

Nostrils
30-04-2017, 08:09 AM
You'd have to take Defoe all day long, he'd suit us to the ground right around now. Against the weaker sides who sit back we crave someone up top with a bit of movement to try and stretch the opposing back four.

I've got a strong feeling he'll be here come August, the way Sam spoke about him before the Sunderland game would suggest that.
Yep, if he'd come on instead of Remy there wouldn't have been an air shot. Was that his second air shot in a Palace shirt?

PremierPalace
30-04-2017, 08:29 AM
Don't shoot the messenger as I myself am not ITK. However I know someone who has connections at the club, and PVA has told a mate that Defoe will come should we stay up. Obviously it sounds tenuous like this, but could make sense. Defoe would love to reunite with PVA, and him and Benteke would be a force.

The_Professor
30-04-2017, 12:27 PM
Defoe would be great and if we are taking SAFC's best players off their hands we should probably be looking at Pickford and Kone too...

Stavros 69
30-04-2017, 12:41 PM
If we had:
Benteke
Defo
Younger upcoming striker from the continent
Wickham
We'd look in good shape.

spt1978
30-04-2017, 01:11 PM
Defoe on a free would be good business.

Coming of the bench rather than a starter though.

CPFC85
30-04-2017, 05:03 PM
Definitely would love to see him join us pre-season. Provided we stay up, of course.

Shipp Ahoy!
30-04-2017, 05:30 PM
Defoe on a free would be good business.

Coming of the bench rather than a starter though.

Not sure he'd be happy with that to be honest.

If he were to come I would expect us to go two up top next season.

TheCharmer1
30-04-2017, 05:54 PM
He ll go to wham

Gyro1780
30-04-2017, 06:03 PM
Not sure i'd want Defoe really? He'll be another year older next season. Class player but would prefer somone a bit younger but if on a free...
What does he earn at Sunderland?

TAK
30-04-2017, 08:09 PM
Lots, I remember we balked at the 100k+ wage a couple of years back and he went to Sunderland.

Kuqi32
30-04-2017, 08:34 PM
Would say I wouldn't want him, but the guy's scored 14 goals for the worst team in the league...

DARZET EAGLE
30-04-2017, 09:35 PM
Definitely would love to see him join us pre-season. Provided we stay up, of course.

I think he would start if he came to us, playing off Benteke.

wedgetail
01-05-2017, 06:23 AM
Steep decline this season. One season too far.

Nigelbrag
01-05-2017, 07:38 AM
Without doubt he would add hugely to our attack, and probably bringing out a lot more in Benteke's game if played as a pairing. As he has proved in scoring 14 premiership goals in a very poor team, he is a natural goalscorer which makes them priceless.
However, he is 34 and on a huge salary, does that make him good value? if it means with his goals we remain in the lucrative premiership, in my opinion a gamble worth taking.

Yoda
01-05-2017, 07:58 AM

Such a steep decline that he received another England call-up, despite playing for the worst Prem team? Beat us almost singlehanded.

I was v impressed by an interview that I heard with him that week....he was mature, professional and more articulate and focused than I'd heard before. Really loves his football and keeps himself v fit.

As he's so fit for 34 and Sam knows him, I think we should consider a deal for him, as he brings something v different to Benteke or Wickham.

petertaylor11
01-05-2017, 12:31 PM
Should have got him when he came back from Toronto (as I have banged on about). Sign him.

cpfcfan1
01-05-2017, 12:44 PM
Has another few seasons in him yet

GorBlimey
01-05-2017, 09:28 PM

He's scored more than half of Sunderland's goals this season in a very poor side. Newcastle appear to want him too.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
01-05-2017, 09:32 PM
Such a steep decline that he received another England call-up, despite playing for the worst Prem team? Beat us almost singlehanded.

I was v impressed by an interview that I heard with him that week....he was mature, professional and more articulate and focused than I'd heard before. Really loves his football and keeps himself v fit.

As he's so fit for 34 and Sam knows him, I think we should consider a deal for him, as he brings something v different to Benteke or Wickham.

He could theoretically bring in the same amount of goals that Benteke has, but without the 27m transfer fee, making the wages issue seem not as important.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
01-05-2017, 09:33 PM
I was supposed to quote Nigel's post, not Yoda's, but we're all friends here

Santos-er
01-05-2017, 09:44 PM
I've wondered more than once if all the business with Bradley Lowery has had an effect on Defoe's game. Hasn't scored for Sunderland since the two against us, which is around the time that the pictures of him with the lad at the hospital started doing the rounds.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's is seeing the world a little differently now.

Yoda
01-05-2017, 10:19 PM
I was supposed to quote Nigel's post, not Yoda's, but we're all friends here

:sob:.........:)

HorleyStu
05-05-2017, 03:30 PM
It's started already! This will become the new Nugent thread this summer.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/liverpool/transfer-talk/news/allardyce-declares-interest-in-defoe-sakho_297483.html

cpfcfan1
05-05-2017, 04:54 PM
No brainer if he would come, think he'll go West Ham though.

dave_who_ru
05-05-2017, 05:03 PM
Has another few seasons in him yet

Yes in America again.

Danny_Cheviot
05-05-2017, 05:11 PM
Defoe and Leigh Griffiths please.

Harry Bassett
05-05-2017, 05:50 PM
Defoe and Leigh Griffiths please.

I think that Griffiths has played in English football ( possibly Wolves) and found the leap into the English game too much.

Jon_C-Pal
05-05-2017, 06:01 PM
I think that Griffiths has played in English football ( possibly Wolves) and found the leap into the English game too much.

Like alot of Scottish league strikers.

CedarEagle
05-05-2017, 06:13 PM
Would say I wouldn't want him, but the guy's scored 14 goals for the worst team in the league...

But none recently. Let someone else have him.

CharlieCPFC
05-05-2017, 06:22 PM
I'm 90% sure he'll end up here.

A very nice genuine bloke too.

El Aguila
06-05-2017, 06:10 AM
Let's be honest, he would be brilliant for us, even and especially if he only plays half the minutes.

Chrissayy
06-05-2017, 09:33 AM
After Kevin Phillips I'm always positive about these types of signings!

jimmy the gent
06-05-2017, 10:04 AM
Sam has always got one more year out of aging players, and Defoe is one of the best role models and professionals out there. Would be an excellent signing.

Pierre
06-05-2017, 10:27 AM
Sam has always got one more year out of aging players, and Defoe is one of the best role models and professionals out there. Would be an excellent signing.

Absolutely-Great pro is Defoe would be an asset whichever team he went to. Capable of a far better job than Remy in fact not worth mentioning in the same sentence!

Lets hope Palace get more than a look in with SA's former connection with him. We already know the value of having a seasoned forward at the club in Kevin Phillips that did us no harm at all!!

adrenalin john
06-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Will want to be in London. So it is West Ham or us, assuming Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs aren't interested.

West Ham fans hate him and am not sure Slaven is interested. Parish knows his Mum, Allardyce the player.

I would say IF we want him we would favourites by a country mile to sign him

TAK
06-05-2017, 01:56 PM
As long as we stay up.

cpfcfan1
12-05-2017, 08:02 PM
Think he will end up here.

Kidofwonder
12-05-2017, 08:41 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39897361

Been released by Sunderland per his contract.

Latvian Eagle
12-05-2017, 08:49 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39897361

Been released by Sunderland per his contract.

Not exactly released. Just allowed to leave for free if they were relegated. Will be a lot of interest in him on a free.

Thefunkymonk
12-05-2017, 09:02 PM
Think he will end up here.

He'll score a hattrick tomorrow to beat Swansea to keep us up then join us..

beef
12-05-2017, 09:08 PM
Funny that Moyes wouldn't have allowed Defoe's relegation clause. I wonder if Defoe would want to sign for a team managed by Moyes?

dilem
12-05-2017, 09:10 PM
if defoe wins it tomorrow we probably owe him a contract

RisZero
12-05-2017, 11:14 PM
So long as he is still playing until the end of the season... I put him in my fantasy team as he has a double game week

gold76
13-05-2017, 06:28 AM
Rumours down this end that Brighton are keen, I'm sure you can add west ham and Bournemouth to the list, I think he'd be ideal for us, perfect foil for Benteke

Martin H
13-05-2017, 11:30 AM
Depends on what the squad looks like after club/players decisions about leaving but I am not so sure about this excitement re the Sunderland players. Defoe has been amazing up there but:

- Every year has to be a risk at this level. He has looked very sharp early on this season and this is probably OK
- Prior to his key offside goal last weekend he hadn't scored in his last 10 matches. His last goals were against us :(
- Assuming Benteke does stay, Defoe would likely end up on the bench as a potent supersub. But can we afford a supersub that costs that much each week?
- If instead we tried to accomodate him in the starting lineup we would have to sacrifice a winger
- losing is a habit and the thought of assembling a nucleus of Sunderland players at Selhurst just doesn't feel like a great plan.

Having watched his finishing since his return I would no doubt still be excited if he arrived, but just not sure it's such a smart move for the club now.

CharlieCPFC
13-05-2017, 12:35 PM
Depends on what the squad looks like after club/players decisions about leaving but I am not so sure about this excitement re the Sunderland players. Defoe has been amazing up there but:

- Every year has to be a risk at this level. He has looked very sharp early on this season and this is probably OK
- Prior to his key offside goal last weekend he hadn't scored in his last 10 matches. His last goals were against us :(
- Assuming Benteke does stay, Defoe would likely end up on the bench as a potent supersub. But can we afford a supersub that costs that much each week?
- If instead we tried to accomodate him in the starting lineup we would have to sacrifice a winger
- losing is a habit and the thought of assembling a nucleus of Sunderland players at Selhurst just doesn't feel like a great plan.

Having watched his finishing since his return I would no doubt still be excited if he arrived, but just not sure it's such a smart move for the club now.

If there's one man who knows his strengths and how to play to them it's Allardyce. He'll get Defoe scoring, and in all honesty I can't see him coming to sit on the bench. I've never heard a manager speak so highly as Allardyce did about Defoe prior to that 4-0 drubbing.

I think we may end up going 4-4-2 if he were to sign. It would be superbly effective being able to stick the ball forwards more with two solid pros like Benteke and Defoe up there. It has the combination for a deadly partnership, strength, movement, intelligence and a clinical instinct all in one.

This is taking Defoe's personality out of the equation, a season where we've questioned character and spirit this man would be bring so much to the table in his professionalism also. Defoe isn't a loser, he's a winner plain and simple. And financially he's on a free, it's a no brainer in my eyes. We would still need backup to Benteke so we'd still need to fork out on fee of 8M+ for a decent forward to cover.

I'd be over the moon if he signed for us this summer.

Penstone Eagle
13-05-2017, 12:39 PM
Rumours down this end that Brighton are keen, I'm sure you can add west ham and Bournemouth to the list, I think he'd be ideal for us, perfect foil for Benteke

Brighton are getting Messi. So that rumour is bullshit

CharlieCPFC
13-05-2017, 12:45 PM

Crawley Town would probably be keen as well, but doesn't mean he'd go there!

Pulis was has publically admitted being interested in him too. Not to be biased but I can't see him snuffing the opportunity to work with Big Sam again and return to London.

Robson
14-05-2017, 10:05 PM
Get him in.

glaziers fan
15-05-2017, 09:28 AM
Just not sure he'd suit our style.

Benteke and Defoe would be awesome with the ball. But what about without the ball? Defending starts from the front; we'd get overrun. That said, on a free and as a natural goalscorer I'd be all in favour of the move. He may have to get used to being a super sub, but on a free and with Campbell presumably off it's an extra 50k a week for a proven goalscorer replacement. It's a no-brainer.

BillyTKid
18-05-2017, 09:26 AM
Bournemouth reported to be offering him 115k per week, 3 year contract! Surely agent nonsense.

ForzaPalace
18-05-2017, 09:26 AM
Bournemouth reported to be offering him 115k per week, 3 year contract! Surely agent nonsense.

**** that

Palace121
18-05-2017, 09:42 AM

Maybe, but then he's a striker that guarantees you goals so 18m over 3 years isn't actually as bad as it might sound in this day and age. All it needs is for his goals to contribute to finishing 3 places higher in the league and he's paid for himself.

PalaceSi
18-05-2017, 09:43 AM
Defoe made his name at Bournemouth all those years ago. I can imagine them offering silly money and blowing everyone else out of the water, he's exactly what they need over the next couple of seasons.

BillyTKid
18-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Maybe, but then he's a striker that guarantees you goals so 18m over 3 years isn't actually as bad as it might sound in this day and age. All it needs is for his goals to contribute to finishing 3 places higher in the league and he's paid for himself.

True. I think he will have another good season next year but given he turns 35 in October his age will surely catch up with him in years 2 and 3 on that contract.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
18-05-2017, 09:48 AM
Yeah, not worth that at this point in his career in my opinion. But we'll see.

DAWSYEAGLE
18-05-2017, 09:48 AM
Three year contract would take him to the age of 37!

Joeymaz
18-05-2017, 09:53 AM
Don't believe that. Bournemouth refuse to pay over 50k a week for a player, it's why Matt Ritchie left.

FourtyTwo
18-05-2017, 09:57 AM

I would agree in part, especially when you take the fact that there is no transfer fee into the equation as well.

I think my surprise is not based around the weekly wage, but more the length of the contract, given his age at present. Or rather all three bits together - the amount, the length and his age.

He may have scored goals for the last few seasons, but the fact is that he is in his mid 30s already, and 3 years takes him to a few months shy of being 38. Footballers sometimes just hit a point where they stop producing the quality they previously did, and if you end up with Defoe on a three year deal at 100k+ a week, and not scoring any goals, that is some expensive baggage in your wage bill.

Some kind of performance related deal, maybe in the later years of the contract, would be a far more sensible option IMO, as I protects the club if there is a drop off in his contribution. Or even an option on the third year, based on the performance in the second.

Yoda
18-05-2017, 10:49 AM
His 3-4 year deal at Sunderland included he could leave on a free if they were relegated.

If we're keen, we could consider something similar, because his resale value won't be that much anyway, should this occur. But it would be important for us to reduce our wage bill quickly if we did go down and therefore removing the liability of Defoe's salary would be wise at that point.

DARZET EAGLE
18-05-2017, 10:58 AM
100k a week, plus 6m signing on fee, plus a seven figure fee for his agent? Figures quoted in the press this morning. If true they are having a laugh, much better long term options elsewhere with decent sell on opportunities too I am sure.

eagle mart
18-05-2017, 11:01 AM
HA - just go to China already.

Yoda
18-05-2017, 11:17 AM
100k a week, plus 6m signing on fee, plus a seven figure fee for his agent? Figures quoted in the press this morning. If true they are having a laugh, much better long term options elsewhere with decent sell on opportunities too I am sure.

6m signing on fee......so from the point of view of the buying club, he's not available on a 'free' after all. It's just that the fee goes to him and his agent, rather than Sunderland? :eek::eek::eek:

If the newspaper talk is accurate, then I'd be a no for Defoe. I was interested, despite his age, because I think he'd be a good fit. But there's a tipping point beyond which we shouldn't go....plenty more younger fish in the sea.

Windsor_Eagle
18-05-2017, 11:23 AM
Yeah, not worth that at this point in his career in my opinion. But we'll see.

Correct.

Anybody else think that B'mouth might be Portsmouth mk II?

st albans
18-05-2017, 11:23 AM
Three year contract would take him to the age of 37!

Crazy

Gollum
18-05-2017, 11:32 AM
No, we can't be trying to match a 3 year guaranteed deal.
So...Nugent it is....

johnnytemper
18-05-2017, 12:04 PM
A 6m signing on fee then 115k a week for three years...that's the equivalent of paying him over 153k a week, for three years, into his late-thirties, with no transfer fee but equally zero resale value or opportunity. Pass.

Excowboy
18-05-2017, 12:07 PM
I'd rather us try and find some young players - our squad is pretty old anyway and we've got very little coming up from the academy. Wages are getting a bit ridiculous too.

switchboard
18-05-2017, 12:12 PM
A 6m signing on fee then 115k a week for three years...that's the equivalent of paying him over 153k a week, for three years, into his late-thirties, with no transfer fee but equally zero resale value or opportunity. Pass.

Roughly 23m for him altogether for that contact, he isn't worth a 1/5th of that.

RisZero
18-05-2017, 12:14 PM
Much rather we got Gayle back in, and I wasnt someone opposed to selling him in the first place.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
18-05-2017, 12:27 PM
Correct.

Anybody else think that B'mouth might be Portsmouth mk II?

Hopefully. Wankstain club.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
18-05-2017, 12:37 PM
Much rather we got Gayle back in, and I wasnt someone opposed to selling him in the first place.

I was opposed to selling him but the same problem remains; a Gayle or even Defoe type player isn't happy to live principally off crosses. Unless we break our precedent of refusing to invest in a quality, central midfield passer, we really should buy another Benteke player who can dominate in the air. I'm hoping we go the more progressive route but would like to see us getting an AM before we finalize our decisions as to striking options. But Gayle is gone. He's at a bigger club that plays the ball more on the ground. That ship has sailed, sadly.

CP-RJW
18-05-2017, 12:47 PM
I was opposed to selling him but the same problem remains; a Gayle or even Defoe type player isn't happy to live principally off crosses. Unless we break our precedent of refusing to invest in a quality, central midfield passer, we really should buy another Benteke player who can dominate in the air. I'm hoping we go the more progressive route but would like to see us getting an AM before we finalize our decisions as to striking options. But Gayle is gone. He's at a bigger club that plays the ball more on the ground. That ship has sailed, sadly.
I mean you say that but Sunderlands midfield has zero creativity and they rarely play the ball on the ground. Their best passing midfielder is Lee Cattermole: Yes, Lee Cattermole! He never even plays as well as he's a sicknote. So with far less creativity than us in midfield, Defoe has still managed 15 goals. I agree that we should try to play more progressive football by bringing in a talented creative midfielder, but whether that happens or not Defoe would still score bucketloads for us.

cpfcfan1
18-05-2017, 12:55 PM
Depends how long he has left, scores 15-20 a season for the next three years it's more than worth it.

switchboard
18-05-2017, 12:56 PM
Depends how long he has left, scores 15-20 a season for the next three years it's more than worth it.

Not going to happen though realistically, he will slowly fade out now.

cpfcfan1
18-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Not going to happen though realistically, he will slowly fade out now.

Yeh I'd be inclined to offer him a year with an option to extend, not for crazy wages though.

Chris K
18-05-2017, 01:02 PM
There's no way we should try and match that. 12 month rolling contract with guaranteed extension if he gets 10 or 15 goals. For a striker he's old and his form could disintegrate at any moment so why commit to such a long period of time without any get out clauses?

west country boy
18-05-2017, 01:06 PM
Don't believe that. Bournemouth refuse to pay over 50k a week for a player, it's why Matt Ritchie left.They paid Wilshere's wages in full (plus a ridiculous appearance bonus).

DARZET EAGLE
18-05-2017, 02:25 PM
6m signing on fee......so from the point of view of the buying club, he's not available on a 'free' after all. It's just that the fee goes to him and his agent, rather than Sunderland? :eek::eek::eek:

If the newspaper talk is accurate, then I'd be a no for Defoe. I was interested, despite his age, because I think he'd be a good fit. But there's a tipping point beyond which we shouldn't go....plenty more younger fish in the sea.

Indeed Yoda, plus his Agent grabs at least a million, and Defoe's wages would be 5m per year, plus bonuses no doubt.

DARZET EAGLE
18-05-2017, 02:27 PM

That ship has sailed mate.

brighton_eagle
18-05-2017, 02:38 PM
Where the hell do Bournemouth get their money from, because it's not from gate receipts or matchday income with a capacity of 12k.

DARZET EAGLE
18-05-2017, 02:44 PM
Where the hell do Bournemouth get their money from, because it's not from gate receipts or matchday income with a capacity of 12k.

Very wealthy Russian owner Max Denim, who took control in 2013. .

brighton_eagle
18-05-2017, 02:48 PM

They must be close to breaching FFP again though, as income limits what you can spend on wages.

When they breached FFP to get promoted they were fined 7.6 million apparently, which is nothing when you think of the financial rewards of being in the Premier League.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36189779

El Aguila
18-05-2017, 02:48 PM

He's the actual bloke who invented denim, I think - gets a shilling royalty (5p in new money), every time they sell a pair of jeans or a denim waistcoat.

brighton_eagle
18-05-2017, 02:51 PM
He's the actual bloke who invented denim, I think - gets a shilling royalty (5p in new money), every time they sell a pair of jeans or a denim waistcoat.

:D

Max Demin.

DARZET EAGLE
18-05-2017, 02:56 PM

Incorrect, he was born in 1969 Denim became fashionable in America in 1873 when tailor Jacob Davis manufactured the first pair of rivet reinforced pants.

Smoz
18-05-2017, 02:57 PM

Max Denim sounds like it should be a Status Quo bootleg.

Socrates
18-05-2017, 03:29 PM
Incorrect, he was born in 1969 Denim became fashionable in America in 1873 when tailor Jacob Davis manufactured the first pair of rivet reinforced pants.

a) Whoosh
b) Serge De Nimes (denim) was invented in France long before 1873

swissroll
18-05-2017, 03:32 PM
I cant see Defoe having more than 1 really good season left in him. Max 2 year deal accepting he will be on the bench for year 2

Old Joe Paxton
18-05-2017, 03:39 PM
a) Whoosh
b) Serge De Nimes (denim) was invented in France long before 1873

Levi-Strauss

SHIPEAGLE
18-05-2017, 03:42 PM
he would be on bench year 1 as would not get in team ahead of Benteke

mroakley9
18-05-2017, 03:43 PM

jesus ******* christ

andyocpfc
18-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Lol - this thread....WTF [emoji23]

CommercialStone
18-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Levi-Strauss

He loves that reggae reggae sauce.

CommercialStone
18-05-2017, 03:49 PM
Yeh I'd be inclined to offer him a year with an option to extend, not for crazy wages though.

He will be looking for contract length now as he knows his powers will wane.

I should think a 2 year deal would be the minimum he would accept. Maybe even 3. One last contract.

FORZA SELHURST
18-05-2017, 03:53 PM
I hope we steer well clear.

cpfcfan1
18-05-2017, 11:17 PM
Linked in the mirror,(I know) Bournemouth and hammers also keen

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
18-05-2017, 11:36 PM
I hope we steer well clear.

Six million and 100K p/w for a 37 year old, who would only be a back up player? The world has gone insane...

Jimmy Eagle
19-05-2017, 12:29 AM
Six million and 100K p/w for a 37 year old, who would only be a back up player? The world has gone insane...

I don't think he's 37 but I agree.

AJ8
19-05-2017, 06:06 AM
That's all well and good but did we get to the bottom of when denim was first manufactured?

tauranga rob
19-05-2017, 06:19 AM
That's all well and good but did we get to the bell-bottom of when denim was first manufactured?

Not sure, but probably before flares were first seen in the Holmesdale.

spt1978
19-05-2017, 07:07 AM

It's a No if that's the deal.

knowlesyUCLA
19-05-2017, 07:54 AM
Difficult one to work out really. Defoe and Benteke up front has the potential for shedloads of goals but will they work well together or do they operate better as the lone striker?

Likewise if we are going to consider him a bench option - which I don't think he would be happy with anyway - then are we really willing to spend the amounts quoted to bring him in?

I don't think age is particularly relevant here - he was excellent in a shite Sunderland side last season and played every game, he is known to take good care of himself and I think he has a couple of years left at this level. Obviously no resale value but also no transfer fee to offset.

If he does choose us over West Ham though, that would be a real kick in the bollocks for them.

AddoWolz
19-05-2017, 09:16 AM

He's 34 and scored 14 premier league goals last season , Kevin Phillips played till he was 39 , Defoe is in great shape for his age and has got at least two more years at the top level in him imo , would love to see him in a palace shirt .

AddoWolz
19-05-2017, 09:20 AM
And where's the 6 million transfer fee coming from ? , he is on a free transfer .

IanH
19-05-2017, 09:35 AM
And where's the 6 million transfer fee coming from ? , he is on a free transfer .

He evidently wants it as a signing on bonus.

Pinkie Brown
19-05-2017, 09:36 AM

Apart from the fact he is on a free transfer and 34?

glaziers fan
19-05-2017, 10:22 AM
We can pay someone 100k/week, but only if they are a regular starter. Wages are more important than transfer fees for FFP. Would rather we looked elsewhere.

Thefunkymonk
19-05-2017, 10:32 AM
Dunno why people stras over wages etc.. I we sign him then SP and co would have done the maths and we would be able to afford him.

He would be an excellent addiction. Defoe and benteke are two top class strikers... we wouldn't be short of goals

andyocpfc
19-05-2017, 10:39 AM
Is Defoe capable of playing behind the striker as a number 10 in a 4-4-1-1?

Danny boy
19-05-2017, 10:44 AM
Dunno why people stras over wages etc.. I we sign him then SP and co would have done the maths and we would be able to afford him.

He would be an excellent addiction. Defoe and benteke are two top class strikers... we wouldn't be short of goals

We are going to need much more mobile midfielders if we are going to play with 442. There won't be much pace as well with them two up front.

davech
19-05-2017, 10:49 AM
We can pay someone 100k/week, but only if they are a regular starter. Wages are more important than transfer fees for FFP. Would rather we looked elsewhere.

Question:

OK, he is demanding 100k per week = wages.

As a "free", he is seeking the 6m as a "signing-on fee". How does FFP view such shenanigans? Does that also count as wages? If it doesn't, why can't we pay everyone 40k a week plus "signing on fee"?

Thefunkymonk
19-05-2017, 11:39 AM
We are going to need much more mobile midfielders if we are going to play with 442. There won't be much pace as well with them two up front.

Not suggesting we play 4-4-2 tbh.. but I agree with your point

Reps AJ
19-05-2017, 11:59 AM
6m and 100k a week? Will be 35 in Oct?

Thanks but no thanks

bigend1
19-05-2017, 12:24 PM
For the right price he's a no brainer. Would be superb in a two with benteke and excellent as a lone striker.

There lies the problem, for the right price he'd be a no brainer for most sides in the league so that drives up the price until he's not the right prove for most.

With the sam factor I'd say we have a decent chance but not for outrageous money.

Not paying much attention to figures right now though, that'll be agent saying they want x amount to see if anyone goes for it. Then negotiations start.. faith in parish not to get it wrong

wedgetail
19-05-2017, 12:27 PM
He is past it, over the hill, his legs have gone, yesterday's man, a former star, living on past glory, one season too far, past his sell by date.

Big Fella
19-05-2017, 12:45 PM
Folks getting in a flap because of his age. How old was Kevin Phillips when he scored that winning pen? How old Is Ibrahimovic? Unless they are crocks, players look after themselves these days. Defoe is one who still looks as fit as a fiddle and still has a burst of pace. And more importantly knows where the goal is.

Its a yes for me Clive.

Jasper
19-05-2017, 01:14 PM
If only to stop him scoring against us. I'm sure he does every time.

ReadingPalace
19-05-2017, 01:20 PM
I think he may well be still able to do a good job at this level, but I think any club would have to be stupid or desperate to offer him more than a one year deal. I know Kevin Phillips carried on until he was pushing 40, but he wasn't playing in the Premier League at that age.

Thefunkymonk
19-05-2017, 01:23 PM
He is past it, over the hill, his legs have gone, yesterday's man, a former star, living on past glory, one season too far, past his sell by date.

18 goals last year.. 16 this year.. both in a horrendous Sunderland team

cpfcfan1
19-05-2017, 01:24 PM
18 goals last year.. 16 this year.. both in a horrendous Sunderland team

Yeh ship him off to the old people's home!

PeckhamSpring
19-05-2017, 01:25 PM
I think he may well be still able to do a good job at this level, but I think any club would have to be stupid or desperate to offer him more than a one year deal. I know Kevin Phillips carried on until he was pushing 40, but he wasn't playing in the Premier League at that age.

But defoe is not 40. He has never been injured and still has his burst of pace. Also all those loose balls that we never pick up in the box that frustrates the life out of us. DEFOE THRIVES OFF THOSE.

Reg_Maudling
19-05-2017, 01:26 PM
I rate him highly of course and he is more than just a proven top level goalscorer, he can link in others very well and holds the ball up surprisingly well for a small attacker
I would still prefer we didnt go down this qpr type route but wouldnt mind it if was just for one year

WorthingEagle
19-05-2017, 01:32 PM
Question:

OK, he is demanding 100k per week = wages.

As a "free", he is seeking the 6m as a "signing-on fee". How does FFP view such shenanigans? Does that also count as wages? If it doesn't, why can't we pay everyone 40k a week plus "signing on fee"?

Signing on fees would be spread out over the contract (assuming all is above board).

So the hit for FFP would be around 138k a week rather than 100k, if he signed on a three-year deal. Total outlay of 21.5M.

Of course, just because he apparently wants a 6m signing-on fee, doesn't mean there's any clubs willing to pay it.

PHIL BARBER
19-05-2017, 01:47 PM
I think Defoe is overhyped by the media , they constantly bang on about it when he scores a goal, we have made enough mistakes with past it players , Adebayor, Remy, we need a transfer policy and stick to it maybe a couple of marquee signings each year and then ample cover in key areas and a few utility players, most important athleticism and a good age with resale value. spending the kind of money reported would be obscene.

DARZET EAGLE
19-05-2017, 02:04 PM
:DNot sure, but probably before flares were first seen in the Holmesdale.

swissroll
19-05-2017, 03:07 PM
Thinking about the cost / value

Defoe -- 16 mill over 2 seasons
Mutch - 16 mill over 4 seasons

I believe Remy cost us 7million for one season (3mill loan fee and 4mill wages)

Defoe looking pretty good by this

petertaylor11
19-05-2017, 05:09 PM
3-1-4-2 with CB & JD as target man and nippy striker.
Possibly suicide but worth a shot.

Nostrils
19-05-2017, 05:59 PM
He'll want to start most games, and may need to in his latter years. I think I'd rather get a younger prospect on less wages for a longer contract. He's class, but those wages...

Mr Palace
19-05-2017, 06:09 PM
I think Defoe is overhyped by the media , they constantly bang on about it when he scores a goal, we have made enough mistakes with past it players , Adebayor, Remy, we need a transfer policy and stick to it maybe a couple of marquee signings each year and then ample cover in key areas and a few utility players, most important athleticism and a good age with resale value. spending the kind of money reported would be obscene.

You can't Defoe with the useless Remy and Adebayor. Defoe is far superior - and for a start he tends to remain fit. He's been brilliant in a terrible Sunderland team.

DARZET EAGLE
19-05-2017, 10:20 PM

You don't rate him then.:D

glaziers fan
20-05-2017, 09:14 AM
Again, I'd like to re-iterate:

Defoe and Benteke up front together would kill us. It'd be like defending with 8 outfield players. We'd have 25% possession every game! It annoys me enough that Benteke won't press. To add Defoe, who is also not high energy, would be wrong for our blend.

James SG
20-05-2017, 09:20 AM
For me this all depends on whether he is willing to come and not start every game. Benteke suits our style more and as dangerous as a Benteke/Defoe partnership might be I don't see us playing 4-4-2 every week.

PHIL BARBER
20-05-2017, 09:27 AM
BFS will go for height in Midfield and 5 at the Back Defoe will not be coming to us.

Mr Palace
20-05-2017, 09:44 AM
We need to be able to change systems as at the moment we are a bit one dimensional. Defoe would enable us to go 4-4-2 at home in games like the Burnley one where teams sit back and ask us to attack them and we can't do it. Defoe is a superb finisher too. Some madness on this thread when you consider he has scored 18 and 16 goals in the last two years in a woeful Sunderland team. Imagine what he could do alongside Benteke, Zaha and Townsend...

Kai
20-05-2017, 10:03 AM
Defoe will go somewhere he gets a start every week. Brighton maybe?

PHIL BARBER
20-05-2017, 10:16 AM
BFS wont play 4-4-2 he will have Zaha , Cabaye, Townsend play off Benteke, and a tall midfielder.

Mr Palace
20-05-2017, 10:45 AM
BFS wont play 4-4-2 he will have Zaha , Cabaye, Townsend play off Benteke, and a tall midfielder.

That still does very little to help us beat the teams at home that just defend - e.g. Burnley. We can't break teams down playing on the counter that way.

PHIL BARBER
20-05-2017, 10:56 AM
That still does very little to help us beat the teams at home that just defend - e.g. Burnley. We can't break teams down playing on the counter that way.

BFS goes looking for the draw first.

adrenalin john
20-05-2017, 10:57 AM
He would be a great option off the bench and excellent cover. However I don't see him as a priority. So yes if the price is right.

But the chances a fair play rule busting Bournemouth will or a desperate other will pay him something stupid are high.

He is proven quality however and if I were him I too would be looking for a final pay day and move away from wearside.

mb23
20-05-2017, 10:59 AM

Yep, like the match against Hull last week when all we needed was a draw and we scored in the 3rd minute... :S:

st albans
20-05-2017, 11:30 AM
Yep, like the match against Hull last week when all we needed was a draw and we scored in the 3rd minute... :S:

To be fair, that was pure luck

davech
20-05-2017, 12:06 PM
Signing on fees would be spread out over the contract (assuming all is above board).

So the hit for FFP would be around 138k a week rather than 100k, if he signed on a three-year deal. Total outlay of 21.5M.

Of course, just because he apparently wants a 6m signing-on fee, doesn't mean there's any clubs willing to pay it.

Thanks for that :p

Mr Palace
20-05-2017, 12:13 PM

Nonsense.

wedgetail
20-05-2017, 02:10 PM
You don't rate him then.:D

Quite the opposite, just the wrong time.

Officer Dibble
20-05-2017, 02:19 PM
Again, I'd like to re-iterate:

Defoe and Benteke up front together would kill us. It'd be like defending with 8 outfield players. We'd have 25% possession every game! It annoys me enough that Benteke won't press. To add Defoe, who is also not high energy, would be wrong for our blend.

Why assess his value or impact to CP purely as a first team starter ?
If Defoe came it would surely be as a squad member, with occasional starts but generally coming off the bench when required to chase. And a big upgrade on Remy or Campbell.

DARZET EAGLE
20-05-2017, 02:54 PM
To be fair, that was pure luck

Defenders make mistakes all the time, the timing was good, but the way Zaha seized on the chance was not luck at all.

bigend1
22-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Already in talks with Bournemouth apparently

thereichstuff
22-05-2017, 05:01 PM
In talks with Bournemouth.

eagle mart
22-05-2017, 05:10 PM
Tinpot Bournemouth ahead of Brighton in the queue for Defoe.

Fancy that.

wrightchipvcfc
22-05-2017, 07:01 PM
Bournmouth seem to be able to spend a lot of money baffles me how they get around fair play or do they just pay the fine?

ForzaPalace
22-05-2017, 08:45 PM
FFP is pointless

ForzaPalace
22-05-2017, 08:46 PM
Heard he's in talks with Bournemouth

Jim Cannon
22-05-2017, 08:47 PM
Already in talks with Bournemouth apparently

Just flushing out interest from Brighton

rossi71987
22-05-2017, 08:48 PM
Looks like he on the verge of signing for them

JAS78
22-05-2017, 08:53 PM
Not overly fussed tbh. I'd like to sign him for a season, but Defoe and his agent will be wanting 2 years minimum imo

Plus there's the 6M signing on fee

It's huge financial commitment to a player fast approaching 35, he can't go on forever.

spt1978
22-05-2017, 08:53 PM
SAFC fans saying it is done and has been in the pipeline awhile.

Worksop Palace
22-05-2017, 08:55 PM
Daft money

They will regret that piece of business big time

Reg_Maudling
22-05-2017, 08:55 PM
wont mind if he goes to bournemouth, he will cost a lot

Mr Palace
22-05-2017, 10:20 PM
Gutted if he goes their over us. Great signing for them. King and Defoe up front, plus with Callum Wilson to return, is very good indeed. And then they have Afobe as fourth choice.

Thefunkymonk
22-05-2017, 10:22 PM
Gutted if he goes their over us. Great signing for them. King and Defoe up front, plus with Callum Wilson to return, is very good indeed. And then they have Afobe as fourth choice.

Yeah king will be off. But they give no ****s about ffp

Mr Palace
22-05-2017, 10:53 PM
Yeah king will be off. But they give no ****s about ffp

I've never bothered to find out about FFP as it seems to have no bearing on reality. Clubs like Bournemouth will continue to gamble as they know the riches of the premier league are worth the risk (I'm not so sure though as when it goes wrong it's horrific).

I think they'll get a lot of interest in King but he should stay there another season.

They'll be good again next year.

PHIL BARBER
23-05-2017, 12:08 AM
Told you he wasn't coming to us...

Nigelbrag
23-05-2017, 07:26 AM
All is not lost as i feel Big Sam will ask to talk to him, and he can be very convincing.
Those who suggest he is not worth it, just consider 15 league goals for a club that was doomed from day one of the season starting, also remember how he took his goals against us? if that does not show his class, then i don't know what does.
Ok it will cost money and he is 34 but is a rarity in fitness, but you are guaranteed he will play games and score a lot of goals, unlike Sako who has cost us a fortune in wages but never plays, same applies to Campbell, how many more mistakes do we have to make before realising.

maestro
23-05-2017, 07:41 AM
Too much in wages for someone who turns 35 in october.

When need a younger team and squad

jmemour
23-05-2017, 08:02 AM
He's already proved he has it in him to keep scoring goals in the Premier League, he scored 15 for one of the worst teams in the league's history. Still looks in exceptional shape and rarely injured, he'll be a cracking signing for Bournemouth. More likely to play in Eddie Howe's 4-4-2 than our 4-5-1, too.

Billyd
23-05-2017, 08:02 AM
Bournmouth seem to be able to spend a lot of money baffles me how they get around fair play or do they just pay the fine?

We were well over % wise of Bournmouth last season and will be this one.

GBG_Eagle
23-05-2017, 10:43 AM
He's still got it, and seems to be a really descent bloke. Would love to have him here, but I doubt we will spend that much salary on 34 year old who will most likely not be first choice, unless we change our system.

I was very sceptical of Sunderland signing him, but I've been wrong on that. They might have been relegated now, but Defoe delivered for them consistently.

cpfcfan1
23-05-2017, 10:45 AM
Look forward to him scoring against us for Bournemouth next season.

hdeagle
23-05-2017, 10:50 AM
Defoe scored against us for Sunderland but where did it get them.

COYP

Terrace Bickle
23-05-2017, 11:12 AM
SAFC fans saying it is done and has been in the pipeline awhile.

Pretty much meh, was never going to come here as back up.

Worksop Palace
23-05-2017, 11:42 AM

COYP

What a brilliantly insightful post

Mr Palace
23-05-2017, 12:20 PM

COYP

He scored 18 and 16 goals in his last two seasons, numpty.

MasterYoda
23-05-2017, 01:21 PM
They're signing him to play - we were eyeing him as our Plan B option off the bench. No biggie.

We have more important things to be spending that money on.

cpfcfan1
23-05-2017, 02:01 PM
Would it free up king to move? Or Wilson

alexcpfc
23-05-2017, 02:23 PM
Would love to have Defoe but No way for the reported 130k a week.

Excowboy
23-05-2017, 02:24 PM
Glad it got wrapped up early. Really hope we get a promising yougster in to deputise for Benteke - our wage bill is getting ridiculous and our squad is pretty old.

Yoda
23-05-2017, 02:42 PM

And they're reported to be offering John Terry 100k a week.

Let's see what happens....in time we might all look back and say that summer signings like this broke Bournemouth.

I was interested in Defoe but not at 130k a week for 3 years, at 37. And what was the signing on fee?

AddiscombeEagle
23-05-2017, 02:45 PM
Signing Defoe and Terry would remind me of QPR when they got Rio etc.

bourne man
23-05-2017, 03:00 PM
Played for Bournemouth on loan at the start of his career, scored a hatfull for them and promised them he'd finish his career with them
Always thought it was bollocks but appears to be true

ForzaPalace
23-05-2017, 03:34 PM
Played for Bournemouth on loan at the start of his career, scored a hatfull for them and promised them he'd finish his career with them

Fair play to the bloke

mikeywm3
23-05-2017, 03:37 PM
Jim White‏ Verified account @JimWhite 2m2 minutes ago
Jermain Defoe has agreed to join Bournemouth - medical to follow.

Danny boy
23-05-2017, 03:38 PM
3 year contract on 130k a week crazy.

Littlecaesar
23-05-2017, 03:38 PM

Unlike Scholes for Oldham.

I heard the Begovic is a done deal too.

cpfcfan1
23-05-2017, 03:39 PM
Two great signings for them.

karl.eldridge
23-05-2017, 03:48 PM
I think this will end up being costly.

6m signing on fee + 130kp/w

26m for 3 years, will end up being 38.

I would have liked to have seen him here but not for that.

eagle mart
23-05-2017, 03:50 PM
Jesus….

That’s a quarter million a week on those two.. 12million a season, on two waning stars.... And all the agents fees & signing-on fees…. And no real book value. (6m signing on fee!?!? ****ing hell)

They can have them both for that.

Not really sure what that does to the Bournemouth team, apart from raise their average age… Wilshire was a waste. It’s easy to be blinded by the lights of the Prem….

averity
24-05-2017, 09:21 AM
Let's get Wilson from Bournemouth now

BillyTKid
24-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Some outlets reporting it is 65k per week but bonuses and add ons could take it to 130k per week.

aj4england
24-05-2017, 11:04 AM
Let's get Wilson from Bournemouth now

OR Josh King

ReadingPalace
24-05-2017, 11:27 AM
Right, I'm tipping Bournemouth to go down next season. Hopefully as part of a South Coast 'double drop'!

hdeagle
24-05-2017, 11:44 AM
It will very difficult for Bournemouth to keep their current forwards happy with the addition of Defoe who will surely be a regular starter to justify their outlay on him.

Someone who has been a regular starter for them is going to lose their place to him.

Bones14
24-05-2017, 12:33 PM
Either Wilson or King would be a useful addition. One of them wont be happy that's for sure.
130k a week inclusive of bonuses for 3 years is quite staggering for a 35 yo. He's got a great record at Prem level but at his age, that's obscene IMO.

Am pleasantly happy we weren't in for him with those figures.

Benzhiyi
24-05-2017, 12:36 PM
Lots of big clubs looking at King. Close-to-zero chance of him coming here.

Big Gav
24-05-2017, 12:39 PM
Either Wilson or King would be a useful addition. One of them wont be happy that's for sure.
130k a week inclusive of bonuses for 3 years is quite staggering for a 35 yo. He's got a great record at Prem level but at his age, that's obscene IMO.

Spot on. He also didn't have a great last few months. Massive gamble from Bournemouth

Oli28
24-05-2017, 12:45 PM
Fair play to the bloke
Easy to honour the promise when they're going to pay you that much

SJ'sLoveMonkey
24-05-2017, 12:48 PM
Would love it if we got King

JAS78
24-05-2017, 05:47 PM
I thought a 2 year deal would be ridiculous

3 years ? Wow, just shows how much power players and agents have now

Nigelbrag
24-05-2017, 05:48 PM

If those figures are true then WOW, that is just crazy.
I do wonder if the Defoe Non signing had anything to do with SA leaving, could it be when it was put to Parish he quite rightly would have said NO, and we know what happened to Sam, just a thought.

JAS78
24-05-2017, 05:53 PM
If those figures are true then WOW, that is just crazy.
I do wonder if the Defoe Non signing had anything to do with SA leaving, could it be when it was put to Parish he quite rightly would have said NO, and we know what happened to Sam, just a thought.

But there would have been a lot of interest in Defoe from PL clubs, and he's signing for 3 years at Bournemouth

I think we all know why, everyone else said NO to that deal aswell

spt1978
24-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Reported as 65k a week for three years, imagine a hefty signing on bonus too.

Mental, glad we didn't sign him.

Mr Palace
24-05-2017, 06:09 PM
It will very difficult for Bournemouth to keep their current forwards happy with the addition of Defoe who will surely be a regular starter to justify their outlay on him.

Someone who has been a regular starter for them is going to lose their place to him.

It's called having a squad and competition for places - ie something we don't have.

We can't play the season with one striker again.

bigend1
24-05-2017, 06:33 PM
Reported as 65k a week for three years, imagine a hefty signing on bonus too.

Mental, glad we didn't sign him.

130k a week apparently. Not sure if that's the signing on bonus divided up to a weekly value or on top. Three years too! That's crazy stuff. Terry won't be far off that either.

NorthPalace23
24-05-2017, 06:48 PM
Glad we haven't signed Defoe.

Laughable salary, contract length, and signing on fee, Bournemouth have given him.

Happy Arthur
24-05-2017, 06:55 PM
I would suspect 130k is including the signing on fee.

davech
24-05-2017, 07:04 PM
I would suspect 130k is including the signing on fee.

About right. 6m over 3 years equates to 38.5k per week.

130k a week when he is 37?? Will he still be up to it even?

No thanks. Glad we missed out

Cleon
25-05-2017, 07:03 AM
No point paying Defoe that type of money to sit on the bench at Palace.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
25-05-2017, 07:23 AM
But there would have been a lot of interest in Defoe from PL clubs, and he's signing for 3 years at Bournemouth

I think we all know why, everyone else said NO to that deal aswell

And Wilshere. And Wiltshire

Mr Palace
25-05-2017, 07:49 AM
Funny comments from people on here. Defoe is a goalscorer and is in great fitness still. 18 and 16 goals in each of his last two seasons for a rubbish team.

We need competition for places. He wouldn't have had to play every single game. We need another option alongside Benteke or to come on for him late in games. Defoe would have been a great signing. When you don't pay a fee you will always pay a higher signing on fee and wages.

We now have 1.5 strikers - Benteke and a crock in Wickham.

scro
26-05-2017, 12:21 PM
they can use some of the 10million more in prize money they received by not pretending to be shit for as much of the season as we did.

PalaceForever
26-05-2017, 01:00 PM
In the interview in The Times, Parish says it was Sam's idea not to pursue Defoe further due to the escalating costs.

bigend1
26-05-2017, 01:22 PM
they can use some of the 10million more in prize money they received by not pretending to be shit for as much of the season as we did.

To be fair was pretty convincing at times! Thank **** sam didn't give it all up after the England thing

Worksop Palace
29-05-2017, 09:29 AM
I thought he'd signed for Bournemouth?

Obviously not

silver
29-05-2017, 01:47 PM
So did I

willcpfc
29-05-2017, 03:56 PM
Whoever signs him - if he fires in 20+ goals, his wages will be money well spent.

Yoda
29-05-2017, 04:39 PM
I thought he'd signed for Bournemouth?

Obviously not

Me too.

He said in the interview I saw this morning that he's 'keeping his head down and concentrating on the forthcoming England match'. Fairly meaningless until they call that squad up for training.

Seems to me that he doesn't 100% fancy the Bournemouth offer, otherwise he'd have signed up. I reckon he's stalling for time to see if he gets something else he fancies more.

AddoWolz
29-05-2017, 05:33 PM
Ian Wright was his boyhood hero , he wants to play for us :):D

PHIL BARBER
29-05-2017, 06:30 PM
Ian Wright was his boyhood hero , he wants to play for us :):D

And Ian Wright wanted to play for anyone other than us.

Herb
29-05-2017, 06:47 PM
He should go back to T. Spurs

Jim Cannon
29-05-2017, 06:52 PM
He should go back to T. Spurs

has it occurred to you that they don't need or want him

NYEagle
29-05-2017, 07:18 PM
Me too.

He said in the interview I saw this morning that he's 'keeping his head down and concentrating on the forthcoming England match'. Fairly meaningless until they call that squad up for training.

Seems to me that he doesn't 100% fancy the Bournemouth offer, otherwise he'd have signed up. I reckon he's stalling for time to see if he gets something else he fancies more.

With the wages and signing-on fee being quoted, I would swerve him.

Great player but no way do we want to offer him a 3 year deal at his age and at those costs.

Herb
29-05-2017, 07:25 PM
has it occurred to you that they don't need or want him

I think he'd score a lot of goals for them and besides they don't have a good back-up striker.

JAS78
29-05-2017, 07:58 PM
Whoever signs him - if he fires in 20+ goals, his wages will be money well spent.

At age 35 I'd be shocked if he got anywhere near that

No ones knees last forever.

Yoda
29-05-2017, 07:59 PM
With the wages and signing-on fee being quoted, I would swerve him.

Great player but no way do we want to offer him a 3 year deal at his age and at those costs.

I agree, if the money quoted at the top end is correct. I've also read costs that were half of that, so none of us really know the truth about what's on the table.

At the right price I'd have him, but I agree there's a tipping point.

Billy Rhino
29-05-2017, 08:15 PM
I agree, if the money quoted at the top end is correct. I've also read costs that were half of that, so none of us really know the truth about what's on the table.

At the right price I'd have him, but I agree there's a tipping point.

Yep, if 65k/week is correct then he would be the ideal super sub. I know it's still at lot of money but PVA is probably on similar money and cost 14m just to sit on our bench.

adrenalin john
29-05-2017, 08:51 PM
He said in the interview I saw this morning that he's 'keeping his head down and concentrating on the forthcoming England match'.

He is small enough as is but refusing to head the ball all together just because you think you're an international is outrageous

willcpfc
29-05-2017, 09:29 PM
At age 35 I'd be shocked if he got anywhere near that

No ones knees last forever.
Quite so, but if he passed a medical, he is a proven goalscorer. He would still be a better striker than most of the dross we have been saddled with over the last few seasons - even at 35 ;)

FMH57
30-05-2017, 07:47 AM
Me too.

All he really said was that he wasn't going to announce his future out of respect to Sunderland fans so soon after their relegation. Plus he is probably still in contract (i.e. getting paid) with them until the end of May, or even June. Bournemouth is done, and according to Parish,we didn't want him as soon as the money got silly and that decision was taken by Allardyce and Parish prior to Sam's departure.

cpfcfan1
29-06-2017, 06:22 AM
Sounds as if his move to Bournemouth has stalled due to wage demands

That's what the papers say anyway.

TheCharmer1
29-06-2017, 07:15 AM
In the interview in The Times, Parish says it was Sam's idea not to pursue Defoe further due to the escalating costs.

good job, 20m over three years

muswell eagle
29-06-2017, 07:46 AM
good job, 20m over three years

... for a 34 year old who decided 3 years ago that he wasn't up to the PL and moved to the MLS.

Terrace Bickle
29-06-2017, 07:53 AM
Sounds as if his move to Bournemouth has stalled due to wage demands

That's what the papers say anyway.

Pure unadulterated greed. I hope we steer well clear.

davech
29-06-2017, 07:57 AM
Pure unadulterated greed. I hope we steer well clear.

Totally agree.

ForzaPalace
29-06-2017, 08:21 AM
Would go against everything in FdB's philosophy. Ain't happening, and good.

Owngoal
29-06-2017, 11:10 AM
All that is wrong with the modern game. Barge pole, don't touch. Even Bournemouth not prepared to be mugged again like they were with Murray.

Happy Arthur
29-06-2017, 11:26 AM
It would be funny if his agent is pimping him to everyone and anyone in the last few hours of the transfer window.

Jim Cannon
29-06-2017, 11:35 AM
If he can't get a good enough deal here he will just go off to the mls or china

Owngoal
29-06-2017, 11:39 AM
It would be funny if his agent is pimping him to everyone and anyone in the last few hours of the transfer window.

Without a club he can join anyone who has a space in their 25. However, being money motivated like Rooney as JC said expect China for the big bucks

TheCharmer1
29-06-2017, 12:14 PM
He's joined bournemouth on a three year deal

Bretton.
29-06-2017, 01:52 PM
3 years....oh dear.