PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Lennon detained under Mental Health Act

David_23
02-05-2017, 10:24 PM
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-4467162/amp/Aaron-Lennon-detained-mental-health-act.html

Really out the blue this. Absolutely devestated for the lad. Get well soon Aaron.

in-exile
02-05-2017, 10:29 PM
Shit... doesn't sound great..hope he gets things sorted out.

ElwissAtMemphis
02-05-2017, 10:30 PM
Do you know him personally?

racehorse-80s
02-05-2017, 10:34 PM
I wish him all the best , Good Mental health is taken too much for granted .

ExiledStirling
02-05-2017, 10:35 PM
Good luck to him, hope he gets the help he needs

Wolfnipplechips
02-05-2017, 10:42 PM
Probably the last thing he needs is the press picking this up.

Should be left to get sorted without intrusion.

carter
02-05-2017, 10:48 PM
Good luck to the guy and hope he gets everything sorted! Always really liked him as a player and thought he was well under rated

Popester
02-05-2017, 10:55 PM
Feel very sorry for him and wish him the best. He's yet another example of how pressure at the top can affect you mentally despite the money etc.

Asagaya_Eagle
02-05-2017, 11:05 PM
Poor bloke. Hope it works out okay for him.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
03-05-2017, 01:32 AM

Unfortunately, this was always going to be splashed by the press. Terrible shame. He always seemed a nice lad. Hope he recovers soon.

Glaws Eagle
03-05-2017, 04:26 AM

Good call ... more faux sorrow and outpouring of grief.

orp pisshead1
03-05-2017, 05:12 AM

Bit uncalled for isn't it?, fans are wishing a player all the best what's wrong with that?. And before you say some are saying they didn't realise he was ill it doesn't matter as the lad is a public/sporting figure so people relate to him.

Raggy
03-05-2017, 06:03 AM

Its an interesting topic, the extent of people's sympathy for strangers, particularly celebrities.

But if we are only allowed to have empathy for people we know is that preferable or more noble? Because surely that suggests we should be motivated entirely by self-interest, on the basis we can expect some reciprocal support in the future.

Having empathy for people we don't know shows greater evolution and is to be encouraged surely?

Worksop Palace
03-05-2017, 06:34 AM

Kin ell

The sympathy post of 2017 goes to.......

You don't need to know someone to have sympathy and empathy for their unfortunate situation. Read the Depression Thread on GCC maybe that will resonate as it's fellow Palace fans suffering.

I suppose you see homeless people and think 'scruffy bastards' as well do you, despite most people are no more than 6 pay packets missing from being the same ?

Glaws Eagle
03-05-2017, 07:18 AM
Kin ell

You don't need to know someone to have sympathy and empathy for their unfortunate situation. Read the Depression Thread on GCC maybe that will resonate as it's fellow Palace fans suffering.

I suppose you see homeless people and think 'scruffy bastards' as well do you, despite most people are no more than 6 pay packets missing from being the same ?

"Scruffy, malingering, scrounging bastards" to be accurate.

All part of the free-loading benefit society created by a succession of Labour governments.

The ability to self-help has systematically been removed.

sydney eagle
03-05-2017, 07:22 AM
As somebody who suffers terribly with mental illness I hope Aaron Lennon manages to get through whatever it is he's going through

I wouldn't wish this on anybody. It's indescribably horrible

PT109
03-05-2017, 07:25 AM
Its an interesting topic, the extent of people's sympathy for strangers, particularly celebrities.

But if we are only allowed to have empathy for people we know is that preferable or more noble? Because surely that suggests we should be motivated entirely by self-interest, on the basis we can expect some reciprocal support in the future.

Having empathy for people we don't know shows greater evolution and is to be encouraged surely?

Fair point however there were plenty of people mocking him after he first signed for Everton when he looked like the most miserable person on the planet according to the national media and twitter experts - they took great pleasure in superimposing his mugshot into all sorts of inappropriate backdrops for the sake of a bit of fun. No empathy there and definitely no greater evolution unfortunately.

Dorking .Eagle
03-05-2017, 07:25 AM
Kin ell

Sad thing is, I think for many it could be 3 pay packets

sydney eagle
03-05-2017, 07:29 AM
Kin ell

:)

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Worksop Palace again.

Glaws Eagle
03-05-2017, 07:39 AM
As somebody who suffers terribly with mental illness I hope Aaron Lennon manages to get through whatever it is he's going through

I wouldn't wish this on anybody. It's indescribably horrible

Totally agree ... I suffered dreadfully in 1992 for over a year .... and the black dog still resurfaces from time to time.

But .... its kept at bay though self-help ... I dont get myself into a vulnerable situation whereby depression can strike again

kevb
03-05-2017, 07:39 AM
Sometimes it takes something like his to remind ourselves that there are some real wankers on this website.

I hope Aaron gets the help and support he needs.

Raggy
03-05-2017, 07:44 AM
Fair point however there were plenty of people mocking him after he first signed for Everton when he looked like the most miserable person on the planet according to the national media and twitter experts - they took great pleasure in superimposing his mugshot into all sorts of inappropriate backdrops for the sake of a bit of fun. No empathy there and definitely no greater evolution unfortunately.

...points at someone else and says "Look, they are even worse"

But actually I don't think they are worse. Presumably the people who made those jokes weren't aware that he would be subsequently sectioned for mental health issues.

Goat Weed
03-05-2017, 07:47 AM

All part of the free-loading benefit society created by a succession of Labour governments.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/23/23ebb088f482871835ad55003ed7ea42f7e86e8314bb3b373c 61472d552c13e4.jpg

pap
03-05-2017, 07:51 AM
Sometimes it takes something like his to remind ourselves that there are some real wankers on this website.

Or it shows that the majority are caring, decent human beings as opposed to the minority of attention seeking idiots.

:)

keltic eagle
03-05-2017, 07:54 AM

Totally agree. What happened with patient confidentiality. Does mental health not count?

Braders
03-05-2017, 08:02 AM

To be fair, I don't think many people would have done that given this context. I wouldn't bother getting irate over that.

jaspercpfc
03-05-2017, 08:05 AM
Totally agree ... I suffered dreadfully in 1992 for over a year .... and the black dog still resurfaces from time to time.

But .... its kept at bay though self-help ... I dont get myself into a vulnerable situation whereby depression can strike again

I've got a lot of time for you, and we had a good catch up before the cup final, but in my experience sometimes you can't always see depression coming, it can creep up when you least expect it.
In my experience, depression frequently makes you feel, absolutely nothing at all. Imagine you’re at a comedy show, but you’re the only one who finds nothing funny about it. Everyone else cracks up, laughing at jokes that evoke no response in you at all. You wish you could enjoy yourself as they are, but your heart and mind are void of all feeling. You throw back a few drinks, to try to ignite a spark of life within you, to no avail. You just want to go home so you can stop pretending you actually feel something other than numbness. Depression often makes you feel as though someone has reached in and ripped your soul out of your body. It’s not fun

All of the stigma, the fear, the lack of empathy and understanding toward mental illness in our society needs to end. The case with Lennon is just another unfortunate but timely reminder that mental health issues can strike anyone, at any time.
People do need to look after themselves, and society in general needs to be more understanding and supportive.
I hope Lennon gets the help and support he needs and he gets back into a position where he can fully focus on his football career again.

HOVE EAGLE
03-05-2017, 08:24 AM
I know someone who was at Leeds where he started his career
Said he was a very quiet boy off the pitch but was just buzzing when he came on and played football
Has done very well in his career if he has had problems
Hope he gets the right help

Kylie_Tracey
03-05-2017, 08:28 AM
Wishing him a speedy recovery

pardew's shorts
03-05-2017, 08:31 AM
The Daily Mail report is as understanding and tactful and tasteful as you might expect. I wonder if it was written by Glaws Eagle?

Then again, HOW CAN HE HAVE MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES WHEN HE EARNS £55,000 A WEEK? I'D HAPPILY HAVE MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES FOR THAT KIND OF MONEY.

Worksop Palace
03-05-2017, 08:34 AM

Holy shit

smileysmith
03-05-2017, 09:35 AM

What an idiotic view.

keltic eagle
03-05-2017, 10:05 AM
What an idiotic view.

Sad considering he goes on to talk about having suffered in 1992.

I'm sure most of us have a loved one or know of someone suffering depression so don't need to read comments like that

SeanPalace84
03-05-2017, 10:09 AM
Having suffered with depression and anxiety in the past I know how mental health issues can affect you, family and friends. Wouldn't wish any type of mental health issue on my worst enemy and wish Aaron Lennon well.

ExiledStirling
03-05-2017, 10:19 AM

Well done for dealing with your own demons, but ffs what an insensitive post from someone who it appears should know better.

Also if you are going to be bringing politics into this, then surely you would be hitting the target if you demanded of our governments (of whatever flavour) that mental health care is given far greater importance than it is.

The political point you do actually make is just ridiculous. Linking mental health to the benefit system is clearly bonkers.

ElwissAtMemphis
03-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Bit uncalled for isn't it?, fans are wishing a player all the best what's wrong with that?.

I wish the bloke a speedy recovery. But I'd never describe myself as being "absolutely devastated" about the misfortunes of somebody I've never met. It sounds a wee bit insincere to my ears but maybe I am a bit of a wanker.

jaspercpfc
03-05-2017, 10:52 AM
great gesture from AJ - https://twitter.com/AndyJohnson08/status/859714803618779136

Kidofwonder
03-05-2017, 10:58 AM
The Daily Mail report is as understanding and tactful and tasteful as you might expect. I wonder if it was written by Glaws Eagle?

Then again, HOW CAN HE HAVE MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES WHEN HE EARNS £55,000 A WEEK? I'D HAPPILY HAVE MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES FOR THAT KIND OF MONEY.

Yet were completley sympathetic when the sufferer was white upper class royalty.....

Kidofwonder
03-05-2017, 10:59 AM
Hopefully he's given the privacy to get through this

keltic eagle
03-05-2017, 11:05 AM
Hopefully he's given the privacy to get through this

There doesn't seem to be any privacy where mental illness is concerned,

jimmy the gent
03-05-2017, 11:10 AM
Don't understand how any of this in the public interest, it will surely be detrimental to his recovery. Some of the responses on here are pretty pathetic, the guy obviously has problems, good luck to him sorting them out.

Timbo
03-05-2017, 11:10 AM
Great posts from Raggy and Jasper

All the best to Aaron, has always seemed like a decent fella on tv and a great baller

PauLo
03-05-2017, 02:51 PM
Great posts from Raggy and Jasper

All the best to Aaron, has always seemed like a decent fella on tv and a great baller

You alright? Showing compassion towards someone? Who's hacked Timbo's account?

Stavros 69
03-05-2017, 03:32 PM
It's horrible when you see the affects of mental health problems in real life.
It's far worse than a simple injury that will heal after some rest.
Get better soon

Jordan555x
03-05-2017, 04:04 PM
Sad this. Depression sucks, I mostly suffer from anxiety and I felt that a few months on anti depressants did wonders for me. I understand they arent everyones thing though. Get well soon Aaron!

Edit: very nice to see AJ donating to the cause!

PeterH
03-05-2017, 04:47 PM
I've got a lot of time for you, and we had a good catch up before the cup final, but in my experience sometimes you can't always see depression coming, it can creep up when you least expect it.
In my experience, depression frequently makes you feel, absolutely nothing at all. Imagine youíre at a comedy show, but youíre the only one who finds nothing funny about it. Everyone else cracks up, laughing at jokes that evoke no response in you at all. You wish you could enjoy yourself as they are, but your heart and mind are void of all feeling. You throw back a few drinks, to try to ignite a spark of life within you, to no avail. You just want to go home so you can stop pretending you actually feel something other than numbness. Depression often makes you feel as though someone has reached in and ripped your soul out of your body. Itís not fun

All of the stigma, the fear, the lack of empathy and understanding toward mental illness in our society needs to end. The case with Lennon is just another unfortunate but timely reminder that mental health issues can strike anyone, at any time.
People do need to look after themselves, and society in general needs to be more understanding and supportive.
I hope Lennon gets the help and support he needs and he gets back into a position where he can fully focus on his football career again.

And yet, despite this post, you posted this about me - two years ago. Which I can't remember seeing before today. What if I had been suffering from depression at the time...

'Peter H looked like something from a YewTree exercise........shit wrong thread'

brighton_eagle
03-05-2017, 05:30 PM

For sure. Never saw any homeless people under Thatcher or Major. :jerkit:

Jim Cannon
03-05-2017, 06:03 PM

Didn't John Gregory say something like that about Collymore

Hibernator
03-05-2017, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Glaws Eagle View Post

Make your mind up!

Friskey
04-05-2017, 11:01 AM
I wouldn't wish mental health issues on anyone. Hopefully he'll get back on track soon.

The Omen
04-05-2017, 12:34 PM
great gesture from AJ - https://twitter.com/AndyJohnson08/status/859714803618779136

Reckon he is regretting it yet? 116k retweets and counting...

The Omen
04-05-2017, 12:36 PM
But Spurs holding a minute applause in their next game against West Ham...?! #rolleyes

Lombardarian
04-05-2017, 01:32 PM
Reckon he is regretting it yet? 116k retweets and counting...

Fair play to him. So must be edging near to £12,000 so far!

Worksop Palace
04-05-2017, 08:18 PM
Fair play to him. So must be edging near to £12,000 so far!

Not a lot when you e got a few million

Great gesture though.

Top man is AJ

Golf Boy
05-05-2017, 04:16 PM
For sure. Never saw any homeless people under Thatcher or Major. :jerkit:

Increased massively under Thatcher as she shut down all the mental homes.