PDA

View Full Version : Elation followed by depression for Jeff Stelling

OldPeanutSeller
07-05-2017, 12:30 AM
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11750/10866496/watch-jeff-stellings-ecstasy-and-agony-as-hartlepool-are-relegated

Eagle Kneevil
07-05-2017, 02:12 AM
Got a lot of time for Jeff Stelling. Understands hopes and (more frequent) despairs of the average football fan.

JAS78
07-05-2017, 04:44 AM
Can't remember the last time Hartlepool weren't scrapping down at the bottom, sorry Jeff but a relegation was due!

OldPeanutSeller
07-05-2017, 05:46 AM
Got a lot of time for Jeff Stelling. Understands hopes and (more frequent) despairs of the average football fan.

Agree, he's a top man. As Palace fans most of us have been in similar situations, (but not whilst presenting a live TV show).

Duffle Coat
07-05-2017, 06:22 AM
God, that was rough on Jeff. Heard an elderly Newport fan weeping on 606 last night. This football lark isn't for the faint-hearted, is it?

andyocpfc
07-05-2017, 06:31 AM
I love Jeff. Could watch him for hours.

Polak
07-05-2017, 06:41 AM
His book about presenting Soccer Saturday is an excellent and often hilarious read.

Worksop Palace
07-05-2017, 08:15 AM
Is this not his last season doing GSS ?

Sure I'd read that somewhere

Massive shame if so.

Maiden Eagle
07-05-2017, 08:27 AM
Felt for him, as he's a proper Football fan.

As an aside, Newport's pitch was a disgrace wasn't it and I heard from a few Crawley Town fans, down here, that Newport's fans are in their experience, about the most unpleasant in L2.

But fair play to the Club, they looked even more doomed than Leyton Orient a couple of months ago.

Ralph
07-05-2017, 09:33 AM
Can't remember the last time Hartlepool weren't scrapping down at the bottom, sorry Jeff but a relegation was due!

They've never been relegated out of the football league though. Arguably as big as Leyton Orient going.

Skin Up
07-05-2017, 10:32 AM
They deserve it, still haven't forgiven them for 'giantkilling' us in the 93 cup 3rd round with a shocking dive to win a late penalty.

saxoneagle
08-05-2017, 08:37 AM
After him calling for a person to be sacked via his well-paid role as a TV presenter, I'm glad. Got what he deserved.

davech
08-05-2017, 08:54 AM
They deserve it, still haven't forgiven them for 'giantkilling' us in the 93 cup 3rd round with a shocking dive to win a late penalty.

Thanks! You have just re-opened another long-since buried trauma :(.

Long, cold, miserable coach trip, game was always in danger of being called off iirc. Spent a whole week in Hartlepool that day. Froze my b*lls off on that bloody terrace. And then we lost, although to be fair, we didn't exactly sparkle.

But still, that is what being a Palace supporter is all about. And you try telling the youngsters of today that - they just won't believe you! :D

Tele Caster
08-05-2017, 09:04 AM
I was stuck on the 'open' side of the terrace with the North Sea chilling my bones as it blew in across the open part of the three-sided ground. No hat, gloves or scarf. Caught pneumonia and spent next two weeks in bed. Recall someone saying pitchside temp was -6 at kick off.

thereichstuff
08-05-2017, 09:09 AM
After him calling for a person to be sacked via his well-paid role as a TV presenter, I'm glad. Got what he deserved.

As a fan he just let rip , I've a lot of time for him .

Martin H
08-05-2017, 09:28 AM
That wasn't nice to watch. TBH it brings back horrible memories of listening to the scores in 'THAT' year. One of my school mates was a Liverpool fan but also followed Hartlepool. Halifax and Bradford City. Odd mix but it was a combo of family links and idolisation of Bobby Ham I think. He will be gutted re H'Pool and the Shaymen have been long gone from the League.

The video just bumped up the pressure somehow - errr, thanks.

davech
08-05-2017, 11:20 AM
Jeff Stelling was just showing the pain of a true, life-long supporter. Maybe live on air is not the best place, but it is just real emotion. Cut the man some slack.

Nth Kent Eagle
08-05-2017, 11:34 AM
I still haven't forgiven them for the long journey I suffered to see Palace knocked out in the third round of the FA Cup up there in January 1978.

greybot
08-05-2017, 11:37 AM
Merson having a proper Del Boy moment there

http://cdn.playbuzz.com/cdn/255de498-34d0-41f4-abaa-cc223756c672/ce88aa64-b0d9-4144-bb40-3b8bbe5d9d79.jpg

davech
08-05-2017, 11:39 AM
I still haven't forgiven them for the long journey I suffered to see Palace knocked out in the third round of the FA Cup up there in January 1978.

I suppose that used to be their main trick. By the time you got up there, you had lost the will to live :D

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
08-05-2017, 11:49 AM
That wasn't nice to watch. TBH it brings back horrible memories of listening to the scores in 'THAT' year. One of my school mates was a Liverpool fan but also followed Hartlepool. Halifax and Bradford City. Odd mix but it was a combo of family links and idolisation of Bobby Ham I think. He will be gutted re H'Pool and the Shaymen have been long gone from the League.

The video just bumped up the pressure somehow - errr, thanks.

Let's hope Newport are the only Welsh club to do a great escape this season.

PalaceForever
08-05-2017, 12:42 PM
Relegation is a sickener, feel sorry for Jeff having to go through that live on air! Bloody hope we can dodge it this season.

andyocpfc
08-05-2017, 12:50 PM
When we've been relegated before on the last day of the season all I've wanted to do was lock myself in a room and talk as little has possible for a few days to get my head round it and rationalise it. Having to go through that on air must be bloody difficult especially as everyone knows what a fanatic he is of theirs.

OldPeanutSeller
08-05-2017, 12:52 PM

Aye. a horrendous day, again, freezing cold if I recall correctly. And having the contents of a derelict building site thrown at you on the way back to the coach didn't add to the occasion. However, I don't blame Mr. Stelling for that and well played him for showing the passion of a true football fan.

Selhurst Celtic
08-05-2017, 01:40 PM
I heard from a few Crawley Town fans, down here, that Newport's fans are in their experience, about the most unpleasant in L2.

I don't mind rough pubs and a bit of edge, but after a night out in Newport it was suggested that you'd be better off wearing a motorcyle helmet the whole time if we were to have another session in that town.

MasterYoda
08-05-2017, 01:50 PM
County are my local club so have a lot of mates who support them. Feel a bit for Jeff but he did overstep his bounds a couple of weeks ago.

jackstacks
08-05-2017, 02:03 PM
I was stuck on the 'open' side of the terrace with the North Sea chilling my bones as it blew in across the open part of the three-sided ground. No hat, gloves or scarf. Caught pneumonia and spent next two weeks in bed. Recall someone saying pitchside temp was -6 at kick off.

Excellent. Top post reflecting what we are all about! Thanks for making me laugh.

Yoda
08-05-2017, 02:05 PM
I like the fact he openly supports a club from the less fashionable lower leagues.

They mean a lot to him and the emotional attachment isn't fake.

With any relegation there's a winner and loser, so one could argue that he was biased against Newport, but I'd prefer to say he was honest about his allegiance. I find it more grating when someone pretends to be neutral, but is then horribly biased in their analysis and the 'expertise' that they offer.

Jeff is 62 and has said he might not continue for many more years, so he'll probably get more outspoken as he nears his retirement. He'll be much more entertaining than some of the bland, cliche-ridden reporters around now.

ElwissAtMemphis
08-05-2017, 03:09 PM
Aye. a horrendous day, again, freezing cold if I recall correctly. And having the contents of a derelict building site thrown at you on the way back to the coach didn't add to the occasion. However, I don't blame Mr. Stelling for that and well played him for showing the passion of a true football fan.

Has it not crossed your mind that it could conceivably have been a young Stelling and his mates who were chucking the masonry at you? That kind of passion for a team can go two ways when you're young and full of beer and northern bravado.

PauLo
08-05-2017, 03:46 PM

We had a whole thread with our own fans doing the same earlier this season. Real classy stuff.

art malice
08-05-2017, 03:52 PM
Has it not crossed your mind that it could conceivably have been a young Stelling and his mates who were chucking the masonry at you? That kind of passion for a team can go two ways when you're young and full of beer and northern bravado.

As he was chucking bricks he was getting reports of other brick-chucking episodes around the country

Selhurst300
08-05-2017, 07:32 PM
Feel for Jeff as he still supports his local team.
I have abiding memories of Hartlepool from working at the power station during its construction and the 1978 cup defeat. Both were very cold.