PDA

View Full Version : The Pogba Transfer

ebyeeckeagle
10-05-2017, 06:55 AM
Fifa investigating (yeah yeah) the transfer.

Doubt there is actually much in this, least of all considering the 2 clubs involved, they could have killed a bunchful of people and nothing would happen.

The staggering thing is the agents fees. Acting for both parties (in fact all 3 I suppose), it's reported the agent took over 40m out of the near 100m deal.

Disgusting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39865103

Reps AJ
10-05-2017, 08:19 AM
The amount of money that is allowed to be taken by these leeches is an utter disgrace

Palace121
10-05-2017, 08:43 AM
What amazes me is that the agent is meant to be acting in the best interests of his client. He's taken 40m (more than Pogba will earn over the next 3-4 seasons) by taking him from a club that's now reached the final of the Champions League to a team that didn't even reach the Champions League qualifying stages.

jimmy the gent
10-05-2017, 08:53 AM
The Bebe transfer, now that was 100% kosher with no funny business involved, make no mistake...

Bones14
10-05-2017, 11:56 AM
Any money that goes to the agent should be through the player he represents, not the buying/selling club.
This needs sorting out asap. There's a few dodgy things about football, but agents are the biggest.
DISGUSTING.

may blunderer
10-05-2017, 12:06 PM
The biggest investigation should be into why Mourinho paid out so much for Pogba instead of his replacement at Juve - Pjanic - who is five times better.

pallet
10-05-2017, 12:17 PM
Great investment one of the best players in the world and he agent fees are a bargain. Wanker to wankers

Adlerhorst
10-05-2017, 12:25 PM
Any money that goes to the agent should be through the player he represents, not the buying/selling club.
This needs sorting out asap. There's a few dodgy things about football, but agents are the biggest.
DISGUSTING.this would make football even more expensive. Honestly this way might be crap but it is cheaper.

AndyStreet
10-05-2017, 01:18 PM
DISGUSTING.

Why shouldn't players be properly represented?

Popester
10-05-2017, 01:54 PM

I agree but many football fans don't like the idea that the Club pays the agent's fees when the agent is engaged by the player and the agent will try to secure the best possible deal for the player rather than the Club.

However, this isn't really any different to the business world. Senior executives regularly seek advice on employment contracts and remuneration arrangements from lawyers - and sometimes the new employer will pay those fees. Similarly, recruitment agents can take massive commissions for finding suitable candidates and helping them to negotiate their contract - and the employer always pays those fees.

jimmy the gent
10-05-2017, 01:57 PM
The biggest investigation should be into why Mourinho paid out so much for Pogba instead of his replacement at Juve - Pjanic - who is five times better.

Sounds like a Pjanic buy to me.

Bipe
10-05-2017, 05:34 PM
The Bebe transfer, now that was 100% kosher with no funny business involved, make no mistake...

Quite right. Lower league player moves clubs in Portugal for a nominal fee and then within a month moves to Man United for 7m or whatever it was. Fergie has never seen him play but is happy to go on the recommendation of Carlos Queiroz, who just happens to share the same agent as Bebe, one Jorge Mendes who trousers around 40 per cent of the fee (although I don't suppose for one minute he kept the lot). Bebe turns out to be sh!t.

As you say, all legitimate and above board, nothing to see here.

Funk Butter
10-05-2017, 05:48 PM
this would make football even more expensive. Honestly this way might be crap but it is cheaper.

Agents would have less incentive to transfer their players all the time if they weren't getting payoffs from the buying club. These agents like Raiola are getting more money than those 3rd party owners were getting.

SE5eagle
10-05-2017, 05:59 PM
Worry not, the FIFA Ethics Committee will look into it!

Oh...

Ruskin Old Boy
10-05-2017, 06:32 PM

Have often wondered why Mourinho had it in for Hazard in Mourinho's last full season at Chelsea. Hazard doesn't have an agent, preferring to represent himself (and he does very well by all accounts).

Was Morinho hoping to get a cut of Hazard's transfer fee if Chelsea off-loaded the player? But Hazard wouldn't play ball? Idle speculation but Mourinho is pally with plenty of the agents who live and work on the edge.

Selhurst Celtic
10-05-2017, 07:26 PM
Pogba is a modern day Carlton Palmer, but with a hefty price tag.

Terrace Bickle
10-05-2017, 08:13 PM
And a ridiculous amount of stupid haircuts, that no one else could give a **** about.

Lombardo's hair
10-05-2017, 08:58 PM
Many may ridicule SJ but he did bring this to the fore in 2004 or 2005.....Over Tim Cahil. Agent wanted 125k From SJ .. refused to pay it as he believed player should pay his own agent. That us actually what needs to happen. If you buy and sell a house you don't expect you purchase to pay estate agent or your solicitor.

jobiinthelastmi
10-05-2017, 09:01 PM
Many may ridicule SJ but he did bring this to the fore in 2004 or 2005.....Over Tim Cahil. Agent wanted 125k From SJ .. refused to pay it as he believed player should pay his own agent. That us actually what needs to happen. If you buy and sell a house you don't expect you purchase to pay estate agent or your solicitor.

Cahill was never coming here. He made the point that his agent used us to smoke out other clubs.

I agree with SJ stance on agents however.

SeanPalace84
10-05-2017, 09:13 PM
Have often wondered why Mourinho had it in for Hazard in Mourinho's last full season at Chelsea. Hazard doesn't have an agent, preferring to represent himself (and he does very well by all accounts).

Was Morinho hoping to get a cut of Hazard's transfer fee if Chelsea off-loaded the player? But Hazard wouldn't play ball? Idle speculation but Mourinho is pally with plenty of the agents who live and work on the edge.

Didn't know that about Hazard, credit to him.

JAS78
10-05-2017, 09:25 PM
Didn't know that about Hazard, credit to him.

It means Hazard trousers the full fee rather than sharing with his agent

Yoda
10-05-2017, 09:30 PM
What amazes me is that the agent is meant to be acting in the best interests of his client. He's taken 40m (more than Pogba will earn over the next 3-4 seasons) by taking him from a club that's now reached the final of the Champions League to a team that didn't even reach the Champions League qualifying stages.

When I read this story, my thought was to query whether Pogba himself would be party to a deal that gives so much to his agent.

He'd do better to represent himself.

JAS78
10-05-2017, 09:35 PM
These big deals are always grubby with fingers in the pot all the way along but I think there is a roll for agents in football, for every huge deal there are 50 low profile ones

They can be helpful when a club wants to offload a player and there is little interest, they will do all the donkey work and get a deal done.

maestro
10-05-2017, 10:17 PM
Pogba is a modern day Carlton Palmer, but with a hefty price tag.

made me lol

a half truth in that

AndyStreet
11-05-2017, 07:28 AM
When I read this story, my thought was to query whether Pogba himself would be party to a deal that gives so much to his agent.

He'd do better to represent himself.

Certainly in England the Club and agent would be required to disclose the commission to him.

Popester
11-05-2017, 07:55 AM

That was a good excuse as to why we missed out on a player who had no intention of joining us once Everton were in the mix.

Brett
11-05-2017, 09:27 AM

It's how that sits with the fees earnt. 41m seems an awful lot of money and I'd imagine there are lots of competent professionals attracted to football who could do just as good a job for a lot less money.

Brett
11-05-2017, 09:32 AM
Also, is it actually a world record transfer when so much goes to the agent? A secondary debate, but transfer fees should probably now be listed with and without agent fees so we can see exactly how much each club valued the player.

AndyStreet
11-05-2017, 11:03 AM
It's how that sits with the fees earnt. 41m seems an awful lot of money and I'd imagine there are lots of competent professionals attracted to football who could do just as good a job for a lot less money.

FIFA deregulated the whole intermediary industry. It was a bad move that will lead to various interesting transactions. The commission here is huge but Pogba will have had to agree to it.

cpfc4evandeva
11-05-2017, 11:36 AM
That was a good excuse as to why we missed out on a player who had no intention of joining us once Everton were in the mix.

The Cahill stuff was very much smoke and mirrors, but SJ clearly didn't like the agent side of the game. Interestingly though, he did have shares in some kind of sports agency firm. I remember him writing an article about it once saying something like 'footballers should have representation, but most agents don't have their best interests at heart.'

With the amount an agent makes from a transfer as opposed to the player just signing a new contract with their current club, I can imagine that many do give out some shit advice.

We may well see this issue with Zaha in the Summer. Let's hope not.

DARZET EAGLE
11-05-2017, 11:38 AM
Manchester United sold Pogba in the first place and probably knew his Agent at the time. If true the huge Commission figure quoted is very strange.

Reps AJ
11-05-2017, 05:06 PM
Manchester United sold Pogba in the first place and probably knew his Agent at the time. .

They didn't sell him, he walked out when his contract finished

dim
11-05-2017, 05:43 PM
From Pogba's pov, it does seem hard to understand that a bloke could be worth that much to you in one deal?...