PDA

View Full Version : Mark Dennis

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
11-05-2017, 09:26 PM
Just on The South Coast Special Premier League Show talking as if he were a Southampton fan???

davech
11-05-2017, 09:52 PM
Did spend 4 years there tbf. South Coast Show - not likely to be a Br*ght*n fan :D

ElwissAtMemphis
11-05-2017, 11:21 PM
It was often claimed that he was a Palace fan when he was with us. I don't know whether that was club marketing or from the man himself. I think he grew up locally in Streatham or thereabouts. I saw him with a motley crew of hangers-on enjoying the half-time hospitality at that rain-sodden League Cup quarter final against Chelsea in the 90s which was after he'd left us. I couldn't tell who they were supporting, just that they were pretty shit-faced and that you'd give them a wide berth if you didn't know who he was.

Elma fudd
12-05-2017, 03:50 AM
Mark from pollards hill he supports millwall

Bipe
12-05-2017, 04:48 AM
How is he shaping up these days? Have the years of boozing taken their toll? Does he still sport the mullet?

Se9 eagles
12-05-2017, 05:18 AM
One of the hardest or dirtiest players in our history depending on how you look at it.Good player though and a real crowd favourite.

CamberleyEagle
12-05-2017, 06:09 AM
Met him in a bar in Portugal last year. Not footballer slim but in decent nick for his age.

How is he shaping up these days? Have the years of boozing taken their toll? Does he still sport the mullet?

thefox
12-05-2017, 07:11 AM
Just on The South Coast Special Premier League Show talking as if he were a Southampton fan???

There for 5 years.

He only played 9 games for us.

thefox
12-05-2017, 07:11 AM
One of the hardest or dirtiest players in our history depending on how you look at it.Good player though and a real crowd favourite.

He barely played for us.

Sam Spade
12-05-2017, 07:16 AM
I remember him getting sent off for Birmingham at Selhurst in an FA Cup tie c83. When he played for us I thought we had signed a clogger but he could really play. Very decent LB when he had his head on straight.

Alfie's army
12-05-2017, 07:33 AM
I went on the piss with him once, starts in the earl of Eldon think we finished in the stag and hounds can't remember how we got drinking but remember him keep wanting us to ask him sporting questions think he was going on question of sport soon , it's the last time I ever drank vodka as I didn't make work next day, he was a good bloke to have a drink with.

King William
12-05-2017, 07:34 AM
used to see him at Hampshire cricket games...always with beer in hand. he was a postie when he retired, so had the days free to watch cricket

Boyandy
12-05-2017, 10:16 AM
He barely played for us.

He ran half the length of the pitch to try and stick one on Paul Gascoigne - that was good enough!

He used to go to my school in Mitcham (Glyn Hodges and Glen Little went there too). They used to have a framed picture of him up in reception when I was there.

Not sure he was really the best role model to be honest.

kestoneagle
12-05-2017, 11:02 AM
Mark from pollards hill he supports millwall

I played Sunday football against his brother on Mitcham Common in the 70's. Mark was only watching the game but still managed to get sent off for verbally abusing the ref!

stevek
12-05-2017, 11:46 AM
He ought to have been one of the best left backs of his generation.

DARZET EAGLE
12-05-2017, 12:55 PM
He ought to have been one of the best left backs of his generation.

but sadly wasn't.

I Hate Brighton
17-05-2017, 07:42 AM
He used to go to my school in Mitcham (Glyn Hodges and Glen Little went there too). They used to have a framed picture of him up in reception when I was there.

Which club de he actually support at school. Was it Palace, or was it someone else (and if so, whom). Thanks.

Maidstoned Eagle
17-05-2017, 12:49 PM
I went on the piss with him once, starts in the earl of Eldon think we finished in the stag and hounds can't remember how we got drinking but remember him keep wanting us to ask him sporting questions think he was going on question of sport soon , it's the last time I ever drank vodka as I didn't make work next day, he was a good bloke to have a drink with.

Met him in a pub in Bexleyheath one Sunday lunchtime, he was with Vinnie Jones.......I swerved them.

bestperch
17-05-2017, 06:42 PM
I remember him getting sent off for Birmingham at Selhurst in an FA Cup tie c83. When he played for us I thought we had signed a clogger but he could really play. Very decent LB when he had his head on straight.

I remember him at that cup game. We had a corner at the holmesdale end. I was down the front and he was calling everyone a c--t and acting like a lunatic. Liked his football ability in his few games for us but a bit too much of a nutter.

Boyandy
17-05-2017, 09:36 PM
Which club de he actually support at school. Was it Palace, or was it someone else (and if so, whom). Thanks.

No idea, he's 15 years old than me :)

Cpfcbob
17-05-2017, 09:41 PM
I remember Marks' legs were covered in horrific scars

Ave Satani
10-10-2017, 09:01 AM
He was a Palace fan when he did this Q&A in Shoot magazine. Some of the other answers are mad.

Favorite drink - Lager
Friendliest away fans - Millwall
After match routine - Go for a drink

Payney
10-10-2017, 09:27 AM
He was a Palace fan when he did this Q&A in Shoot magazine. Some of the other answers are mad.

Favorite drink - Lager
Friendliest away fans - Millwall
After match routine - Go for a drink

Clearly taking the piss with some of those answers :D

Car - Robin reliant
Most difficult opponent - None
Holiday resort - Austria
What would you do if you weren't a footballer - Nut and bolt packer

art malice
10-10-2017, 10:40 AM
Is he still with Jane? Hope so

selhursthoover
10-10-2017, 11:18 AM
Top bloke. Gave Robbie Tobin, Dave Illingworth and myself a lift back from Mitcham training ground after playing in a friendly at Southwick just before Christmas moons ago.

We came back on the team coach. Happy days.

:p

thereichstuff
10-10-2017, 12:08 PM
He was playing for us at home against some team I've forgotten and the crowd we're getting restless with our lack of attacking intent and general fanning about with the ball amoungst the defenders . Anyway , he received the ball from our goalie and adjusted his body as to indicate he was passing the ball back to him only for the crowd to go ape shit . He laughed and turned with the ball to play it forward and did a wind up sign above his head .:D

palace ray
10-10-2017, 12:25 PM
My lasting memory of him was when we played Uxbridge town in a preseason friendly, and some kid was running circles round him and basically taking the piss. Mark got so wound up by this kid, that just before half time when he got the opportunity, he went straight through him, took him clean out, ref went running over and sent him off.
My dad & me where standing by the gate where the players entrance to the pitch was, he came walking over, massive smile on his face and said " that'll teach the smart f***er eh" lol was so funny.

radiomike
10-10-2017, 01:03 PM
interviewed him once - very decent and knowledgable about both football and cricket - think he would admit that the latter is probably his favourite sport. Think or rather know he caused managers a few problems in his time but always committed for want of a better word

Golf Boy
10-10-2017, 03:41 PM
A lot of memories for a guy that played nine times for us. I saw at least two of them - spurs at home and Man utd away. Memorable games, both of them.

selhursthoover
10-10-2017, 04:19 PM
My lasting memory of him was when we played Uxbridge town in a preseason friendly, and some kid was running circles round him and basically taking the piss. Mark got so wound up by this kid, that just before half time when he got the opportunity, he went straight through him, took him clean out, ref went running over and sent him off.
My dad & me where standing by the gate where the players entrance to the pitch was, he came walking over, massive smile on his face and said " that'll teach the smart f***er eh" lol was so funny.

1990/1991 from memory. Was there. First pre season after the Cup Final.

Worksop Palace
10-10-2017, 08:43 PM
Remember him pulling his shorts down at sheff w when he was about to take a throw in :D

Spindle
11-10-2017, 01:00 PM
v Spurs Gascoigne had flattened someone on the right wing and got booked, I recall Mark Dennis crossing the pitch from left back to double foot flatten Gascoigne moments later. He got booked but today it would've been a red. Brilliant fullback and a nutcase.

Spindle
11-10-2017, 01:07 PM
He ran half the length of the pitch to try and stick one on Paul Gascoigne - that was good enough!

Yup! You were there too.

bradpitt
11-10-2017, 08:24 PM
I'm sure after that melee he ran towards the Arthur cheering and fist pumping towards the crowd!

I thought he was great.

lee_cpfc
11-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Didn’t he get stabbed by his wife while he was at palace?

lee_cpfc
11-10-2017, 08:37 PM
Underated player

Walter Wort
11-10-2017, 08:50 PM
I'm sure after that melee he ran towards the Arthur cheering and fist pumping towards the crowd!

I thought he was great.
Yes, I remember that too. Naughty, but for me he has always been a Palace legend. A fine left back too, I think he could have had a lasting career had he wanted to.

andy.kjfooty
11-10-2017, 08:50 PM
I remember him going right the old crisp eating match of the day presenter at selhurst then turn to the crowd and giving a fist pump! Imaging that happening now with all the sky cameras .... ����

Sleeping Giant
11-10-2017, 09:06 PM
interviewed him once - very decent and knowledgable about both football and cricket

Saw him going into the SCG for Australia v England during the cricket World Cup in the early 90's. Memories of beating them in their own backyard in their own World Cup. What a night in Sydney afterwards! Paid for it in the following years mind.

dowieslovechild
11-10-2017, 09:12 PM
Didn't somebody once try to slash his throat in the Mailcoach?

Just found this which kind of supports It?

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1988/04/12/Queens-Park-Rangers-defender-Mark-Dennis-was-in-stable/4909576820800/