PDA

View Full Version : Best Referees

Good Shipp
12-05-2017, 06:24 PM
Ahead of every match, Palace fans love to analyse what referee we have this weekend and whether we can expect fair treatment, big club bias or general incompetence. Wondering who people think are the best referees in the league. My top 3 would be.

1. Michael Oliver
2. Martin Atkinson
3. Anthony Taylor

Coastal Palace
12-05-2017, 06:28 PM
I think it's more a case of which refs are the least shit.

Kidofwonder
12-05-2017, 06:30 PM
Ahead of every match, Palace fans love to analyse what referee we have this weekend and whether we can expect fair treatment, big club bias or general incompetence. Wondering who people think are the best referees in the league. My top 3 would be.

1. Michael Oliver
2. Martin Atkinson
3. Anthony Taylor

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Smoz
12-05-2017, 06:33 PM
Kelvin Morton

Malarkey
12-05-2017, 06:46 PM
Michael Oliver wins

Little Fozzie
12-05-2017, 07:31 PM
Anthony Taylor is bloody awful! Agree with the top 2 though. Oliver is excellent. There are so many bad ones i can't think of a 3rd...maybe Marriner?

keltic eagle
12-05-2017, 09:47 PM
Anthony Taylor is bloody awful! Agree with the top 2 though. Oliver is excellent. There are so many bad ones i can't think of a 3rd...maybe Marriner?

Are you ******* serious or is that a big fecking WHOOSH

mrB
12-05-2017, 09:51 PM
Oliver is absolutely the most consistant

917L
12-05-2017, 09:52 PM
Mike Dean is in the top 3 IMO. Doesnt always get it right, but appears the least affected by big team bias

Little Fozzie
12-05-2017, 09:59 PM
Are you ******* serious or is that a big fecking WHOOSH

Ha, I guess I'm just judging by the amount of rage I feel when their names are mentioned. I don't remember Marriner having a terrible game for us recently?

Gollum
12-05-2017, 10:01 PM
Atkinson, Oliver & Dean. Consistently the best 3.

Eaglesfan1
12-05-2017, 10:22 PM
Agree with those saying Oliver, Atkinson and Dean as the best 3.

Have to confess that I was relieved when I checked the ref for Sunday, Bobby Madley or Jon Moss would not have been nice!

rbarmy
12-05-2017, 10:33 PM
Martin Atkinson with Kevin Friend as 4th Official

Good Shipp
12-05-2017, 11:03 PM
I seem to have gone against the grain with regards to Anthony Taylor. In truth I think that Oliver and Atkinson are by far and away the best. I'm not as crazy about Mike Dean though, seems a bit self important out there and not the best at keeping a game under control if there is an edge to it.

Wycombe Eagle#2
12-05-2017, 11:11 PM
Mike Dean. Hillsborough. Closed thread :p

Harry Bassett
12-05-2017, 11:22 PM
The simple truth is very few referees over the years have been outstanding, in my lifetime Jim Finney of Hereford was superb also Jack Taylor. I agree that Oliver is easily the best of the current crop.

Some of the worst refs are those that think they are more important than the game, Clive Thomas and Norman Burtenshaw from way back stay in the memory years after they retired.

Penstone Eagle
13-05-2017, 06:42 AM
Some are less shit than others.

Kylie_Tracey
13-05-2017, 07:28 AM
I remember Howard Webb's team consisted of a linesman who was a former Palace trainee I wonder why he hasn't made the grade to become a proper full time ref? surely what the game needs, my reasoning is why refs are so crap these days is because none of them have ever played the game

Jim Cannon
13-05-2017, 07:40 AM
Kelvin Morton

Needs to be brought out of retirement for tomorrow's game and (hopefully) the next fixture v Brighton

Jim Cannon
13-05-2017, 07:43 AM
On a side note refs names just aren't as good as they used to be

Pat Partridge
George Courtney
Jack Taylor

None of this Andre Marriner nonsense

Palace Dan
13-05-2017, 07:48 AM
I have a signed copy (!!!!) of Alan Wilkie's experiences as a ref including the cantona kung fu game. Very interesting read.

Also was behind the scenes once as guest of 4th official for an fa cup 3rd round tie. Very interesting to see the teamwork and support system in play for the officials.

Little Fozzie
13-05-2017, 10:57 AM
I remember Howard Webb's team consisted of a linesman who was a former Palace trainee I wonder why he hasn't made the grade to become a proper full time ref? surely what the game needs, my reasoning is why refs are so crap these days is because none of them have ever played the game
This is said a lot, but what are you going to do? Start forcing ex players to become refs?

Saying that, the system the FA has for promoting referees is rubbish. If i started refereeing now in the bottom tier, and did every game perfectly, it would still be something like 10-12 years before i even got close to the premier league

Coastal Palace
13-05-2017, 11:11 AM
Back in the 80's, George Courtenay was always a decent ref and a laugh.
We were at Barnsley when him and his linesmen were inspecting the pitch. I reminded him that he owed us one due to a **** up he'd made at Selhurst earlier that season.

Can't remember his reply but it was quite funny and we all had a good chuckle about it.
And then we went on to lose 1-nil.
Thinking about it...Courtenay was a c**t!
;)

Lombardo's hair
13-05-2017, 01:30 PM

Mariner the man has robbed us twice v liverpool for different penalty decisions one for liverpol....Benteke and one against us when wilf was bundled over this season at 2 3

Lombardo's hair
13-05-2017, 01:32 PM
This is said a lot, but what are you going to do? Start forcing ex players to become refs?

Saying that, the system the FA has for promoting referees is rubbish. If i started refereeing now in the bottom tier, and did every game perfectly, it would still be something like 10-12 years before i even got close to the premier league

It's a view I hod briefly but having heard the drivel and lack of knowledge of some ex pros I don't think they'd be any better. Clueless most of them

Harry Bassett
13-05-2017, 01:48 PM
Back in the day Bob Matthewson an ex player was a very good referee.

To be told on a regular basis that you masturbate, that your parents were not married and you don't know what you are doing, your also blind and need to go to specsavers is hardly encouraging for potential candidates unless of course you meet those requirements...which brings us back full circle to where we started out.

Wycombe Eagle#2
13-05-2017, 03:45 PM
Watching to BT sports coaverage now which has surely highlighted the need for refs to have played the game. Graham Poll on my god. An incident has just occurred at Sunderland with an alleged stamp. Poll straight away says the ref was right and it was only a booking. This is after he has seen it on TV. The rest of the footaling panel then see it and are disgusted with the incident and all said it was a red. When poll was quizzed again he said if I was a video ref I would recommend a red.

Make your mind up you ******* idiot. You've had video evidence right in front of you and only changed your mind because the rest if the panel said it was definitely a red. What hope do we have.

nicknackpalace
13-05-2017, 04:27 PM
Roger Kirkpatrick :)

Kylie_Tracey
13-05-2017, 04:59 PM
Uriah Rennie

muswell eagle
15-05-2017, 07:47 AM
Martin Atkinson is one of the few refs who I am confident will not stitch us up, unlike Bobby Madley and the now departed Clattenburg. I also like Michael Oliver and going against the grain, I respect Jon Moss, who although prone to mistakes, has actually played the game to a decent level and understands what is going on.

People lauding Jack Taylor cannot have been around when he regularly gave crucial penalty decisions against us in the seventies. You would not see World Cup referees given League One games these days but we had Taylor more than once in Division Three.

There was also the referee whose name escapes me from Great Bookham, which was always a source of amusement. Of course that was in the days when some referees came from the South of England and most Division One teams were based in the north.

Harry Bassett
15-05-2017, 08:23 AM
There was also the referee whose name escapes me from Great Bookham, which was always a source of amusement. Of course that was in the days when some referees came from the South of England and most Division One teams were based in the north.

Ray Lewis?