PDA

View Full Version : Playing games at the same time/at different times

pardew's shorts
13-05-2017, 04:19 PM
The final games of a regular league season are always played at the same time, and everyone accepts that as fair and sensible.

But taking the Premier League relegation battle as an example, the same fairness doesn't apply at other times - this weekend and last weekend, for instance.

Swansea got a huge boost going into their evening kick off after Hull's defeat, and now similarly have the boost of winning and being able to relax and watch tomorrow's game.

Is there a way that this sort of thing could be tweaked to make it fair and balanced for all?

Levski
13-05-2017, 04:25 PM
Yeah. Its simple. Get rid of televised football. It has killed the game.

johnnybacaro
13-05-2017, 08:12 PM
there is a proposal to play all week 35 matches at the same time.

spy
13-05-2017, 08:25 PM
there is a proposal to play all week 35 matches at the same time.

Is week 35 the penultimate weekend? That will only work if they can clear the backlog of fixtures before the penultimate weekend - this year there are 15 games this week so they couldn't possibly be played at the same time!

johnnybacaro
13-05-2017, 09:17 PM
Is week 35 the penultimate weekend? That will only work if they can clear the backlog of fixtures before the penultimate weekend - this year there are 15 games this week so they couldn't possibly be played at the same time!

Yes the penultimate weekend.

EddieEdwards
13-05-2017, 09:19 PM
Yes the penultimate weekend.That's week 37.

johnnybacaro
13-05-2017, 09:35 PM
That's week 37.

you are right. my bad.

Oli28
13-05-2017, 10:54 PM
Swansea got a huge boost going into their evening kick off after Hull's defeat, and now similarly have the boost of winning and being able to relax and watch tomorrow's game.

I get the point but this is a direct contradiction. Either you get the advantage of playing after your rivals (Swansea did last week, we do this week to an extent), or you don't.

Only a matter of time before they stagger the final round of games.

pardew's shorts
13-05-2017, 11:34 PM
I get the point but this is a direct contradiction. Either you get the advantage of playing after your rivals (Swansea did last week, we do this week to an extent), or you don't.

Yeah I know. It was a clumsily worded way of saying that playing first or second can be a big advantage, depending on what happens in the earlier games. Either way, it can offer a big artificial advantage one way or another.

KP'S Nuts
14-05-2017, 01:52 AM
Yeah I know. It was a clumsily worded way of saying that playing first or second can be a big advantage, depending on what happens in the earlier games. Either way, it can offer a big artificial advantage one way or another.

It's a fair point as you say it's not fair but so many things are not. I can't believe still that snodgrass cheated us for a pen admitted it after and got no retrospective punishment. Elbows and obscene gesturing to crowds by players watched retrospectively and punished (quite rightly) admitting your a diving cheat no problem.

Dorking .Eagle
14-05-2017, 05:49 AM

I am sure that if there was both a survival race, and a title/CL race, and the fixtures could be split so that no game affected both outcomes, Sky tv would want to split the kick offs, into two 'events' on the same day.

cpfc4evandeva
14-05-2017, 09:34 AM
I am sure that if there was both a survival race, and a title/CL race, and the fixtures could be split so that no game affected both outcomes, Sky tv would want to split the kick offs, into two 'events' on the same day.

There's no way that would work too often though. E.g. Man City v QPR a few years ago - Man City were going for the title whilst QPR were trying to avoid relegation.