PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: Mcarthur to....Brighton

dilem
15-05-2017, 05:55 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/15/liverpool-mamadou-sakho-transfer-crystal-palace?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Thefunkymonk
15-05-2017, 05:58 PM
No chance.

1) we wouldn't sell him imo
2) they could t afford him

Mr Palace
15-05-2017, 05:58 PM
I think this would be a good move if we can get 7-8 million and reinvest it.

Thefunkymonk
15-05-2017, 05:59 PM

What!? Nah your good. He's a quality little player.. with ledley and flamini off already.. wouldn't take 10-12m for him

Mr Palace
15-05-2017, 06:01 PM
What!? Nah your good. He's a quality little player.. with ledley and flamini off already.. wouldn't take 10-12m for him

I think we can do better now. I love the guy but he's dropped off the pace and I think we can bring in a higher quality of midfielder now. Someone who is better in possession.

CPFC.1990
15-05-2017, 06:02 PM
A fully fit McArthur is a top quality midfielder. Would be madness to sell him.

passion4palace
15-05-2017, 06:04 PM
A fully fit McArthur is a top quality midfielder. Would be madness to sell him.

Spot on. He's one to keep.

Nostrils
15-05-2017, 06:07 PM
Pretty much made the last goal Sunday. Once injured, he seems to take a few games to get back to 100%. I think he's a great player and would hate to see him go, let alone there.

Jim Cannon
15-05-2017, 06:12 PM

8M buys you a championship player these days. 12-15, but I think we should keep him

carter
15-05-2017, 06:17 PM
McArthur to Brighton?? I'd shit in my hands and clap if that happened. No chance. Still massively needed

Seth
15-05-2017, 06:18 PM
I'd keep him, but if we sell him it cannot be to that lot. Campbell maybe, but not Jimmy Mac.

Seth
15-05-2017, 06:21 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/15/liverpool-mamadou-sakho-transfer-crystal-palace?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

That links to the Sakho for 30m story. Anyone have the JMc to the weed link?

Mr Palace
15-05-2017, 06:22 PM
8M buys you a championship player these days. 12-15, but I think we should keep him

You wouldn't get anywhere near 15m for him. Livermore went for 10m I think. And he's not better than him.

I'm fine with him staying - he's a great pro. But I just think we may have to move one or two players on to help us bring in a higher quality of player.

Thefunkymonk
15-05-2017, 06:26 PM
That links to the Sakho for 30m story. Anyone have the JMc to the weed link?

It's in that article.. says they have shown small interest

ANDI29
15-05-2017, 06:26 PM
Sell him and get mvilla instead I would be happy

Thefunkymonk
15-05-2017, 06:27 PM
You wouldn't get anywhere near 15m for him. Livermore went for 10m I think. And he's not better than him.

I'm fine with him staying - he's a great pro. But I just think we may have to move one or two players on to help us bring in a higher quality of player.

What!? Livermore is toilet. MacArthur is better than Livermore.. plus hull were selling anyone and everyone

SE5eagle
15-05-2017, 06:29 PM
No.

Love jimmy mac and the way he runs like he's carrying a knife.

Just 'no.'

danpalace07
15-05-2017, 06:31 PM

10m+ would get me seriously considering it

Timbo
15-05-2017, 06:33 PM
I think Jimmy has played quite often for us when not quite fully fit, unlike Mandanda and Remy, so I am expecting a great 2017/18 from him at CPFC after he has recharged the batteries during the close season

Jim Cannon

Then we should not be selling and certainly not to Brighton. They can have Jordan Mutch

Nostrils
No.

Just 'no.'

:D

PalaceSi
15-05-2017, 06:35 PM
We need him so definite no. We already need to replace loads of midfielders i.e. Ledley, Flamini, Chong Lee, Mutch, Sako so lets not lose our good ones. There's plenty of life left in Jimmy Mac.

Worksop Palace
15-05-2017, 06:38 PM
People have very short memories

He's been one of our most consistent players over the last 2 seasons. Massive heart and decent quality

Yes he's dropped off form with injuries but he's a very important player. If maybe a squad player going forward as we strengthen

Can't see Sam wanting rid

mulla64
15-05-2017, 06:40 PM
No.

Just 'no.'

Brilliant.. Mac the knife !

Wolfnipplechips
15-05-2017, 06:41 PM
If anybody thinks they could get an upgrade on McCarthur for less than 15m they are living in 2010.

Mr Palace
15-05-2017, 06:43 PM
What!? Livermore is toilet. MacArthur is better than Livermore.. plus hull were selling anyone and everyone

He's not toilet. He's a good player. McArthur isn't a better player - similar level.

Mr Palace
15-05-2017, 06:43 PM
If anybody thinks they could get an upgrade on McCarthur for less than 15m they are living in 2010.

I agree with that - we'd have to spend around the fee we paid for Luka or a bit more.

Payroll Legend
15-05-2017, 06:46 PM
A fully match fit McArthur is a very good all round central midfielder. I'm not surprised Brighton are interested but I'd be absolutely amazed if Palace would let him go.

glenn.f
15-05-2017, 06:46 PM
There may be a few of our players that would be surplus to our requirements but Jimmy Mac isn't really one of them. However he may struggle to be first choice and may decide a move could be in his best interests. I think it would be foolish letting him go as a fully fit Macca still has a fair bit to offer, but the player will ultimately decide whether he fancies flitting in an out of the side. I for one hope he decides to give it another year at the least because he will cost a fair old whack to replace.

gilesy14
15-05-2017, 06:52 PM
I don't want us helping to assist that tinpot shitshow of a club in any way - selling them Jimmy would be doing just that. Feck off.

However, should they want Jordon Mutch - I'm sure we could come to some sort of arrangement.

Thefunkymonk
15-05-2017, 06:54 PM
He's not toilet. He's a good player. McArthur isn't a better player - similar level.

Livermore is crap

PalaceForever
15-05-2017, 06:56 PM
Too good for them. Hope we keep him, when he's back to full fitness, he's an excellent player.

sydney eagle
15-05-2017, 06:58 PM

He's been one of our most consistent players over the last 2 seasons. Massive heart and decent quality

Yes he's dropped off form with injuries but he's a very important player. If maybe a squad player going forward as we strengthen

Thanks for saving me the time typing exactly this:p

Thefunkymonk
15-05-2017, 06:59 PM

This.

BuffotheEagle
15-05-2017, 07:01 PM
No way should we sell him. We're probably going to see quite a high turnover of players this summer and he shouldn't be one of them. A lot of people on here are so fickle, he comes back after months out injured and because he didn't quite hit the ground running he's now past it. Quality player, who was great before he got injured.
If a lot of you had your way we'd sell most of the squad and start again, I'm sure that would work out well.

thereichstuff
15-05-2017, 07:02 PM
We won't sell him and certainly not to those tosses .

solpadeine
15-05-2017, 07:08 PM
Behind only Benteke and Zaha for goals scored this season and with 20% fewer starts. He and Wilf were the top two for me that gave 100% of the time they're on the pitch this season.

Shipp Ahoy!
15-05-2017, 07:09 PM

Absolutely this!

Utter madness those prepared to sell. Especially to that lot!

30million and I'd start considering it...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
15-05-2017, 07:10 PM
I think we can do better now. I love the guy but he's dropped off the pace and I think we can bring in a higher quality of midfielder now. Someone who is better in possession.

I'd keep him for the same reason I'd keep Puncheon -to a certain extent, he is proven at this level. Yes, I absolutely want a better AM and CM but would keep those two around as reliable if not spectacular cover who at least can be relied upon to put a shift in.

It's amazing how players like Dann and McArthur -who were the two most consistently praised players we had, are now considered by many not good enough for even our squad. I'd think we'd want a far more successful season before believing we've gone to 'the next level' and can confidently dispense with their services.

Nostrils
15-05-2017, 07:14 PM
It's amazing how players like Dann and McArthur -who were the two most consistently praised players we had, are now considered by many not good enough for even our squad. I'd think we'd want a far more successful season before believing we've gone to 'the next level' and can confidently dispense with their services.

Sorry for going off subject, but I can see Dann returning to form next season (depending on how often he plays). Both Tomkins and Kelly have made huge improvements under the new regime, can't see any reason why Dann won't either.

aashman12
15-05-2017, 07:21 PM

Would be left drastically thin in midfield. If he's off I'd want upwards of 10m for him.

jimmy the gent
15-05-2017, 07:38 PM
Given that the club will likely release Ledley, Flamini, and potentially sell Cabaye, it would be crazy to sell a very consistent, hard working, experienced and settled premiership standard midfielder like Jimmy Mac. Stranger things have happened, but would be very surprised (and disappointed, frankly)

Mr Palace
15-05-2017, 07:38 PM
I'd keep him for the same reason I'd keep Puncheon -to a certain extent, he is proven at this level. Yes, I absolutely want a better AM and CM but would keep those two around as reliable if not spectacular cover who at least can be relied upon to put a shift in.

Agree about Dann especially. I think he will be great under Allardyce.

Kai
15-05-2017, 07:52 PM
Thing is, as much as we love McArthur and he's been a great player for us, he's the type of player we need to upgrade from. I like him a lot and think he has real value but if this club is serious about going places we need to find better players out there.

Shipp Ahoy!
15-05-2017, 07:57 PM
Thing is, as much as we love McArthur and he's been a great player for us, he's the type of player we need to upgrade from. I like him a lot and think he has real value but if this club is serious about going places we need to find better players out there.

There's probably about 20 players at the club we could upgrade on before we get to McArthur!

sheepy
15-05-2017, 08:04 PM

Upgrading in both talent and attitude wouldn't be easy.

Personally I think he's a great option. Maybe not a start every game of the season player but accounting for injuries he's the sort I'd happily count on to start 7-10 games plus make a number of sub appearances along the way to close out games.

Gave us exactly what we needed against Hull.

arabian eagle
15-05-2017, 08:10 PM
There's probably about 20 players at the club we could upgrade on before we get to McArthur!

This^

The12thman
15-05-2017, 08:15 PM
When he is fit, he is a quality player for us. He has been unfit recently after injury.

Brighton wouldn't cough up the 10m needed to sign him. I think that's what it would take.

A fit McArthur is a quality player for a mid table prem team. He would be absolute class for any of the promoted teams. Can't see us doing them any favours.

TWELLSEagle
15-05-2017, 09:08 PM
No fekin way. Been a brilliant player for us and plenty left to give.

thehalifaxman
15-05-2017, 09:19 PM
No no no no no no no

Vince Hilaire's Afro
15-05-2017, 09:20 PM
I like him, and think he's a good player, but he seems vastly overrated and devoid of criticism from some on here.

I'm not 100% sure what 'type' of midfielder he is?

elgin eagle
15-05-2017, 09:26 PM

Exactly this. Feck off Brighton.

Nostrils
15-05-2017, 09:28 PM
I'm not 100% sure what 'type' of midfielder he is?

Looks like you're not sure, if you're not sure of what type of midfielder he is.

I think he's one of those runny, chasery type of midfielders.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
15-05-2017, 09:30 PM
Looks like you're not sure, if you're not sure of what type of midfielder he is.

I think he's one of those runny, chasery type of midfielders.

Yeah he seems a hard working, jack of all trades type midfielder, but I'm not sure what people see in him that puts him in that irreplaceable, 10-15m bracket

meee
15-05-2017, 09:32 PM
If we end up with a team where McArthur can justifiably sit on the bench every week next season then we've got half a chance of being in Europe.There is no way we should consider selling him.People wanting an "upgrade" are in cloud cuckoo land.

Nostrils
15-05-2017, 09:35 PM
Yeah he seems a hard working, jack of all trades type midfielder, but I'm not sure what people see in him that puts him in that irreplaceable, 10-15m bracket

I guess in this market, a midfielder that can score 4/5 goals while missing a fair bit of the season will put the price up a bit. I know what you mean though, he's been played (quite successfully for a while) alongside Cabaye and although they weren't similar in style, they were too similar somehow. I'm not making sense am I?

CPFC since 1989
15-05-2017, 09:37 PM
Offer him to Brighton for 25-35m

jobiinthelastmi
15-05-2017, 09:38 PM
I would listen to offers....

Nostrils
15-05-2017, 09:42 PM
McArthur to Brighton
Cabaye to Marseille
Ledley to Cardiff
Mutch to Bayern Munich

We'll have nobody left in midfield.

CPFC since 1989
15-05-2017, 09:45 PM
McArthur to Brighton
Cabaye to Marseille
Ledley to Cardiff
Mutch to Bayern Munich

We'll have nobody left in midfield.

The shoe shine department :supergrin:

Dodds
15-05-2017, 09:49 PM
Brighton, lol

Stellavista
15-05-2017, 09:51 PM
I would listen to offers....

So would I. And that tell them to f*ck off. Love the man.

the digger
15-05-2017, 09:59 PM
This would be the sort of move that got us in th mess we were in this season.

KYLIE MINEAGLE
15-05-2017, 10:02 PM
I don't want us helping to assist that tinpot shitshow of a club in any way - selling them Jimmy would be doing just that. Feck off.

However, should they want Jordon Mutch - I'm sure we could come to some sort of arrangement.

Agree with this. I think let them have Mutch and we give them say 3mil to sweeten the deal.

Pikie Punisher
15-05-2017, 10:05 PM
To put it in to context, with the difference between a club like ours and Brighton, it would be like us being interested in buying Neymar off Barca.

RisZero
15-05-2017, 11:02 PM
Probably some crap made up because he has been coming off the bench since injury. As others have said with Ledley likely leaving, and who knows what happening with Cabaye, hes still a big squad member for us

thefox
16-05-2017, 02:49 AM
Just how many shares can they give to the owner. He must own 14897% of the club by now.

aj4england
16-05-2017, 05:12 AM
Ledley Flamini Mutch Lee and even Sako need to be shipped out before Jimmy

Bones14
16-05-2017, 06:09 AM
If a good offer came in then I'd say yes. If a good offer came in and it was from Brighton I'd tell them to go forth and multiply.

scro
16-05-2017, 07:35 AM
I would keep. However he is of course going to be subject to speculation as he is one of the few premier league quality squad players we have (him, wickham, dann, schlupp/pva). The trouble of course is a midfield of him, cabaye and punch doesn't really work. I would think we do need a younger midfielder or two. With punch, mccarthur and cabaye all around the 30 mark.

The one thing to remember about livermore is he is a couple of years younger than mccarthur.

prizesucker
16-05-2017, 07:44 AM

I'd sell him! Absolutely. Hitting 30, getting slower, getting injured more and more often....plus only has one more year on his current contract (i think).
This summer will be last opportunity to recoup any funds for him. (Sadly i doubt we will the 7-8m you are hoping for.

Definite sell!

TheCharmer1
16-05-2017, 07:48 AM
I'd sell him! Absolutely. Hitting 30, getting slower, getting injured more and more often....plus only has one more year on his current contract (i think).
This summer will be last opportunity to recoup any funds for him. (Sadly i doubt we will the 7-8m you are hoping for.

Definite sell!

agreed, if we can get some money in and free up some wages, sell.

No more than a squad player now.

dowieslovechild
16-05-2017, 07:48 AM
We need the cover. Let them have Mutch instead.

SJ'sLoveMonkey
16-05-2017, 07:49 AM
As if he would go to that circus

HRS
16-05-2017, 07:58 AM
Would be mad to sell unless they pay twice his value or he's into the last year of his contract.

Reps AJ
16-05-2017, 08:01 AM
Would be mad to sell unless they pay twice his value or he's into the last year of his contract.

Yep. Mutch and Ledley need to go first

Shoreditch CPFC
16-05-2017, 08:03 AM

Definite sell!

Sadly I think you might be right. Much like Darren Ambrose there comes a time where you've done a great job but its also time to go. If the fee is right and if we have a replacement lined up.

ForzaPalace
16-05-2017, 08:20 AM
Amazing what a short lay off can do to people's memories. Last season this bloke was one of the best players in the team.

Max_Power
16-05-2017, 08:28 AM
Amazing what a short lay off can do to people's memories. Last season this bloke was one of the best players in the team.

Agreed - am absolutely astounded that people are saying he's not good enough.

Considering the season we've just had with injuries, why on earth would we sell a solid Premier League player, just because he's not going to start every game?

Strength in depth my friends. It's the reason we've failed to kick on.

Jasper
16-05-2017, 08:31 AM

Spot on. He was one of the few players to turn up in the first half of the season and chipped in with 5 goals.

He's had some injury problems but he's a quality player when fit. I'd hate to see him in a Brighton shirt

Chris K
16-05-2017, 09:10 AM
After wilf he's been one of our best players in the last two seasons. Sell him to Brighton? Don't be ridiculous

CommercialStone
16-05-2017, 09:19 AM
Agree with the "Keep" opinions. Remember how good he was at the start of the season? He will be that good again after a summer recovering.

Jordan's Jacket
16-05-2017, 09:23 AM
I'm sure Jimmy would rather not play for a team which will be relgated by Christmas

WorthingEagle
16-05-2017, 09:26 AM
His recent performances have been the first time he's dipped below the '7/10 every week' level since he signed, he's clearly not fit and will be back to his best after a rest and good pre-season.

Sceagle
16-05-2017, 09:33 AM

And other than Wilf, most of this season

DARZET EAGLE
16-05-2017, 09:35 AM

Injury seems to have taken its toll. With a rest and good preseason under the Sam fitness regime he could get back to his form.

orpingtoneagle
16-05-2017, 09:36 AM
NO NO NO...was our best and most consistent player this season before he got injured.

PhuketEagle
16-05-2017, 09:36 AM
Jimmy's not the sort of guy who likes to suck on a stick of rock.

Reg_Maudling
16-05-2017, 10:22 AM
Looked better on Sunday dont forget he has been off the pace with his injury there is still more to come from James MacArthur

Thin on Top
16-05-2017, 10:27 AM
Needs a proper pre-season behind him, and should be back to his best.

smileysmith
16-05-2017, 10:38 AM
Do not sell Jimmy Mac especially to those idiots.

Green Bin
16-05-2017, 12:14 PM
Pretty much made the last goal Sunday. Once injured, he seems to take a few games to get back to 100%. I think he's a great player and would hate to see him go, let alone there.

Yes, Sunday reminded us he is still a good player, not a case of whether his legs had gone a bit aka Jedinak, and effectively he is Cabaye's shadow in my view...although when we had that good run at the start of the 2015/16 season it was the Cabaye/McArthur pairing that was so good for us

sylvan eagle
16-05-2017, 12:43 PM
No chance

PauLo
16-05-2017, 12:48 PM
All depends if he's ok spending the season on the bench. He's not going to be a starter and is a great option off the bench, but he may want more.

adrenalin john
16-05-2017, 02:48 PM
Am a big fan but would consider dependent on price and replacement.

N'daye from Hull looked a player to me

SilentAssassin
16-05-2017, 02:53 PM
100 million or tell them to **** off.

regal_eagle
16-05-2017, 03:00 PM
McArthur? To Bwighton?? Hahahahahahahaha

They really are a bunch of mongs, aren't they!?

He doesn't do wonky plastic half'n'half clacker bukkake sessions.

Martin H
16-05-2017, 03:09 PM
From where we are this would seem a stupid move but it all depends on who it's planned to bring in. Macca has proven he can compete at this level and after the summer, he will hopefully be back to his best form. Would be surprised if we don't keep him. Good professional.

Chief Brody
16-05-2017, 03:15 PM
Mental.

old geezer
16-05-2017, 03:15 PM
I'm sure Jimmy would rather not play for a team which will be relgated by Christmas

Not so sure they will be - expect them to do OK with Murray and Knockhaert

old git
16-05-2017, 03:19 PM
Isn't he on 50k a week? No way will they pay that as Dunky and pals would want the same.

cockles
16-05-2017, 03:22 PM
'member Owen Garvan?

sylvan eagle
16-05-2017, 03:31 PM
Not so sure they will be - expect them to do OK with Murray and Knockhaert

Do ok this is Brighton

Pikie Punisher
16-05-2017, 10:26 PM
Do ok this is Brighton

Yeah, the worst outfit ever to be promoted to the Premier League and even their own fans say they are vvankers.

Richwak
17-05-2017, 12:10 PM
One of the players we must keep in my opinion

regal_eagle
17-05-2017, 12:15 PM
'member Owen Garvan?

https://res.cloudinary.com/teepublic/image/private/s--cJq1pb1m--/t_Preview/b_rgb:191919,c_limit,f_jpg,h_630,q_90,w_630/v1474073671/production/designs/685741_1.jpg