PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Can We Really Afford To Sign Sakho?

TheExpatEagle
17-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Baring in mind that we need to replace up to 12 players this summer, 5 are out of contract (inc Sakho and Remy) and that we won't have more than 60m net to spend, can we really afford to sign Sakho?

Here's my take on it.

http://www.theexpateagle.com/2017/05/can-really-afford-buy-sakho/

Chris K
17-05-2017, 01:07 PM
This isn’t including other players that a lot of fans want replacing such as Joel Ward and Andros Townsend

Do they? Maybe Joel can be improved on but I very much doubt people want Townsend gone after his performances since Watford (Big Sam)

Rough figures but we're probably freeing up 600k per week in wages from the players you've listed, one of which is Sakho. So the wages shouldn't be that much of an issue the crunch will be how much of the transfer budget he/Liverpool would eat up.

Steve in Phoenix
17-05-2017, 01:08 PM
This will come down to the American owners. Sakho offers a chance of some prestigious success but that comes with a price tag. If we're run as a sustainable football club aiming to avoid relegation, spending that much is obviously at odds.

Even with all the departures we still have enough players for two teams of XI except for right back and attacking mid.

Also we can easily pay a smallish loan fee for someone like Loftus Cheek instead of spending 15m. So it can easily breakdown as 25m for Sakho, 1m for Loftus Cheek and 2m for some RB from the championship.

mroakley9
17-05-2017, 01:10 PM
tbh no one on here has a ******* clue

elgin eagle
17-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Sign him and re-sign Wilf then worry about it. There must be some decent free transfers floating about.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
17-05-2017, 01:24 PM
This is already being discussed in two more threads (one in transfer hotline and one in general discussion).

CPFC.1990
17-05-2017, 01:27 PM
We can't afford not to sign him.

SilentAssassin
17-05-2017, 01:27 PM

Indeed, it's all speculative even the press speculates that we are the 6th financially backed club in the league. I think it was also reported that we were ranked 20th in Europe for the highest wages spent or something this season too.

biggus mickus
17-05-2017, 01:35 PM

Its true, but its a discussion, init.

Would love to see him at Palace. If he stops 15 goals a year, whats he worth?

Martin H
17-05-2017, 01:44 PM
There is this little thing called FFP to worry about. We could be funded by the Buffett/Gates combo plus every other Billionaire and it doesn't change how much we can afford on fees and contacts unless they just donate extra cash with no expectation of getting it back. That's a benefactor, not an investor.

RisZero
17-05-2017, 02:49 PM
I have no idea what our financials are looking like (as I suspect no one here does), all Id say is Id rather spend 30m on someone I know is the perfect fit than gamble 15m on someone who could tank and lose us half our games.

Very easy to say when its not my money of course :D

Martin H
17-05-2017, 03:22 PM
I have no idea what our financials are looking like (as I suspect no one here does), all Id say is Id rather spend 30m on someone I know is the perfect fit than gamble 15m on someone who could tank and lose us half our games.

Very easy to say when its not my money of course :D

I think it's that last bit that's the problem :) best leave it to the guys whose cash it is :)

Jim Cannon
17-05-2017, 03:26 PM

Yup. I love it when the BBS accountants decide we don't have enough money and then we go and spend more than they said we had.

4 cryingOutloud
17-05-2017, 03:47 PM
It's all a balancing act and you have to weigh up the outgoing players value against the incoming. We have several players who's contracts are up and will walk away free, but we will save their wages. Than there are others who will be sold, which will give us some income and save us paying their wages.

Now with that in mind SP, JH & DB have to decide how much extra they need to put into the pot to create the team we need for the future, and whether or not they're prepared to do that. JH & DB are hedge-fund people and will weigh up the odd's, but my guess is that they will cough up and be looking toward the long term success of the club for their profit on their investment. Remember, it was their money that saved us from relegation in January and there was no point in them doing that if we don't make strides in the future.

Bryan
17-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Low 20's plus add ons (sell on fee).

We can afford him.

Bryan
17-05-2017, 03:49 PM
it's all about who else wants him.

Nix
17-05-2017, 03:49 PM
Can we afford not to?

Attracting quality is always difficult for smaller clubs, this is an opportunity.

If we beat Man U Sunday, the extra prize money might pay for his wages.

old geezer
17-05-2017, 03:55 PM
Can we afford not to?

Attracting quality is always difficult for smaller clubs, this is an opportunity.

If we beat Man U Sunday, the extra prize money might pay for his wages.

My view entirely

RCUK
17-05-2017, 04:05 PM
Reckon it will be 20's with a relegation avoidance kickback, and a euro kickback to the scousers too.

Other real issue is if he actually wants to come to us. Lets face it, there are some much bigger clubs out there who would prove a big lure to someone of his level. However, he seems to love it here - and fingers crossed that will be enough to get this over the line.

If we sign him & keep Wilf - thats a big positive for other players were approaching.

Celestial Empire
17-05-2017, 04:33 PM
Also depends on Sakho - he would probably need to agree to a 5 year deal to make it attractive for Palace (amortisation /sell-on potential).

Everyone assumes that the new Sky deal has driven up prices, but don't forget that the has also devalued quite a lot against the Euro since last Summer. Benteke is probably worth quite a bit more than we paid last year.

Nigelbrag
17-05-2017, 04:56 PM
Possibly based on income for a club with our stadium and our gates, we should Not be spending this amount on a CB as there are also other areas that need strengthening just as crucially. The problem is with Sakho having made the impact that he has since joining on loan, then having seen how much he was missed since his injury, beggars the question can we afford not to sign him?
As we saw with Benteke (again an inflated fee was paid) the difference he has made with the goals he has scored, where would we have been without those goals? relegation possibly!!! and what would that have cost us long term. These are the issues that we have to weigh up when deciding if a player who has had a huge impact is worth taking a costly gamble on, or do we sign a player for less and then regret it.
My opinion is, after 4 seasons in the premiership we are now at a stage where ambitious team plans need to be in place on how to consolidate our position in this lucrative league. Also with the possibility of Stadium redevelopment put on hold for the immediate future? or that's the way it appears, that should then release funds for team strengthening to ensure we stay in the money spinning premiership league.
We have taken the first positive step by appointing a tried and trusted manager Sam Allardyce but he is no miracle worker, so will need financial backing from the Board in recruiting quality players that can carry out that task, and this is where we will know where the level of ambitions of the Board lay by their support.
So the question asked is can we afford the inflated fee asked for Sakho? it is always a gamble as he may not have the same impact next season as this if he was to sign, but he is a tried and trusted method that has worked well for us, so Yes.

TAK
17-05-2017, 05:38 PM
Already a thread on Sakho in here. Thread closed.